It was our first visit to Marrakech and so were shocked when we first entered the Medina and thought "where have we come to". When you arrive at Riad Larouss (which is where you park) there was so much traffic and donkeys everywhere! After walking through very small alleys and pathways we arrived at Riad Utopia. It is instantly a place of calm and peace amongst the craziness of the Medina. It is decorated beautifully, traditional but still modern. The location is perfect as its a 10 minute walk into the heart of the Medina and the Souks. The pool is small and not used often , the roof terrace is great and has a shaded area to get out of the hot sun in the afternoon. The rooms are clean and again beautifully decorated, we had 3 of us in one room and was very spacious. The air con was perfect and wasn't noisy! The staff are all very helpful and recommended a great excursion to the Atlas Mountains that i would highly recommend to see something outside of the city. Getting taxis to and from the Riad is very easy. The breakfast lets it down slightly, although traditional it just consisted of breads and jams, needed some eggs or fruit etc just to mix it up.
We each had a massage in the Riad as it claims to have a Hammam Spa, this is not a traditional Hammam and wouldn't advise having treatments here, find somewhere more traditional. When i was having a massage you could hear the outside and there was a ticking clock on the wall!
One word of warning!! Prepare to pay in cash on check out as the card machine i was told on leaving "sometimes doesn't work in the Medina". We were not told anything about this on booking and caused frustration and hastle on check out as we couldn't pay so had to arrange a bank transfer once getting home!
Overall i would highly recommend staying in a Riad and the Utopia has a great balance of tradition and modernism which is great for a first visit to Marrakech as it can be a shock to the system at first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dans la tangente de la célèbre place Jamaa El Fna, vous serez accueilli dans l'art de la tradition marocaine : chaleureusement et respectueusement. Vous découvrirez la magie de l'Orient alliée au design et au calme d'Utopia Suites & Spa. Toujours à votre écoute et à votre service, notre équipe vous recevra avec les prestations d'un hôtel de luxe et fera du Riad votre demeure : senteurs fleuries, massages délicats, soins de beauté, mets aux mille et une épices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Riad Utopia Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riad Utopia Suites And Spa
- Riad Utopia Hotel Marrakech