“Excellent staff in a fantastic riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Utopia Suites & Spa

Save Saved
You added Riad Utopia Suites & Spa to your Saves list
Riad Utopia Suites & Spa
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   280 Derb sidi bouamar | Riad l'arousse medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
“Excellent staff in a fantastic riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

The two stand out qualities of this riad are the staff and the design of the riad. The rooms, pool area and sun deck are very comfortable areas and relaxing. The Moroccan staff were brilliant - friendly, helpful, efficient and personable. This riad is almost faultless - the only downsides are prices of food and drinks. The owners of this riad could improve the service by providing better priced meals and drinks that will entice clients to stay at the riad during meals times or for a drink that will be complemented by the excellent service of the staff!

• Stayed September 2012

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Agadir, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was a little treat at the end of our stay in Morocco. There is a pool and a lovely roof terrace. The rooms have air conditioning and are well looked after. Breakfast was lovely and the staff were really friendly and helpful..The palce was a little hard to find, but was fine once we got used to it...(if you are going into Jemaa El-Fnaa then be aware that the route back through the Souks is difficult at night as they close the easy routes at around 11pm) The The riad feels very luxurious, but not too corporate as the staff make the palce feel like a friendly Riad. It is perfect if you want to escape the heat and madness of Marrakesh. We had to wait for a 7pm flight back to London and the staff kindly let us stay in the Riad until 5pm, although they seemed to not mind when we left (thank you so much for that.) It is quite expesive in contrast to some other Riads, but if you are looking for affordable luxury then it is perfect. So in general really friendly and a little bit of luxury in the middle of a bustling, often stressful hub.

Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I arrived at the Riad Utopia feeling very stressed after having been totally ripped off by a taxi driver from the airport and then a 'guide' showing me the way to the hotel from where the taxi stopped (cars can't get right to the hotel) but this changed when I stepped through the door! The riad is lovely, very calming with all of the rooms overlooking a small pool in the central courtyard. My room was really nice and comfortable, if a little on the small side, and decorated in a traditional Moroccan way and the air conditioning was very welcome in the heat. I found the manager/waiter/receptionist (one man did almost everything) very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

I agree with other reviewers about the dinner - I enjoyed what I had and it was included in my booking for the first night, but it was definitely not worth 25euros and I also agree about the breakfast - nice but could be more substantial. I didn't find the drinks particularly expensive for Morocco - a beer was 3.50euros.

The sun terrace was lovely and there was usually a nice breeze making it bearable and the pool, although small, was very nice after a day's sightseeing.

The hotel arranged a return transfer to the airport for me in a clean, comfortable, well driven minibus for the same price I'd paid in a filthy taxi seemingly driven by a madman when I arrived!

Although I am not keen ever to return to Marrakech, I would definitely recommend the Riad Utopia as a place to stay.

Room Tip: A general tip - contact the hotel in advance and get them to pick you up at the airport. You'll...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Utopia is centrally located in the Medina of Marrakesh, about 15-20 minutes walking from the central square. Staff are extremely helpful and did everything to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

The rooms are clean and well-equipped. Room rates are good value for money (although breakfast could be a bit more substantial).

Extras (drinks and especially dinner) are heavily overpriced. A simple 3-course menu (moroccan salad, tajine, orange with cinnamon) costs 25 euros per person (+10% service charge, + 5% "extra" exchange rate). That's at least double what you would pay in a very nice restaurant outside, for the same quality.

In summary, I was not disappointed with Utopia - as long as you don't eat at the hotel or book a trip with Utopia, you will have a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor as the ground floor rooms, situated around the central pool and b...
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Found the staff and managment very difficult. Numerous times I had asked for lunch and they were very reluctant to cook something for us as it was during Ramadan. Even still they should always cater for guests. Also me and my girlfriend asked for 1 hour massages however they only went for 35 minutes and after arguing with the manager they were only 1/2 hour massages we were still charged in full. We also heard numerous other complaints during our stay. Very nice riad however a few things resulted in a difficult stay.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

As we got dropped off a little bit out of the riad (as the car could not go any further or closer to the entrance) we were a little bit lost in what looked to be Ghetto Marrakech. We were approached b a 14 year old local who seemed to be very helpful, carrying our luggage and guiding us to the entrance of the hotel. We had to go through little alley ways to get to the Riad. The boy then insisted we pay him! he then got told to leave us alone by our hotel staff who were AMAZING! As we walked in it looked like a really cute little oasis with traditional yet modern Moroccan interior - outside, rooms, roof top, etc. The staff took out bags upstairs, very relaxing stay.

Great service!!! The guys here are so nice and provide you with everything you need/want.

Beautiful interior and design. Antique look yet modern approach.

The 14 year old boy ended up finding us again in the streets and was really friendly and showed us around the city and told us the history and fun facts (don't be scared of them) however I wouldn't advise walking alone at night in the streets.

Riad offered great service, very very friendly staff!

The only bad thing I would have to say is the hamam and body massage I received, the lady insisted I must take my bra off which made me feel a little bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We booked to stay here a bit apprehensively after reading one negative review - so glad we ignored it this place is bliss.

The riad is a bit hard to find the first time ( £20 taxi ride from the airport and have some small notes to tip the boys that hang around near where the taxi drop you off that will offer to take you to the riad). It's about a 10 min walk to the main square ( blissfully far enough away) and to the souks.

The riad itself is gorgeous and modern Moroccan. The staff are excellent. The pool is big enough to get in for a swim on hot hot days ( we had a little pool party one afternoon with the other guests). The rooftop is awesome for sunbathing - shade and hats are even provided.

Air con is brilliant, flat screen tvs ( bring your own DVDs) no noise issues and on site spa and chef. Breakfast was lovely ( and western style).

I honestly could not find fault with a single thing - any negative reviews are mad in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Riad Utopia Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!