“Beautiful peaceful Riad. Fantastic staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Awa

Save Saved
You added Riad Awa to your Saves list
Riad Awa
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   6 derb el hajra kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #205 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Beautiful peaceful Riad. Fantastic staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in February 2013 and had a truly fantastic time. Perfect location. Friendly staff - couldn't be more helpful (thanks Mohamed - top man!!). Great rooftop breakfast. All in all a fantastic little oasis in the middle of everything. Couldn't rate it more highly. Thanks.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just back from another fantastic stay at Riad Awa. The staff, including Mohammed were helpful as ever, especially providing copious amounts of mint tea. Were had a lovely meal at the riad on our first night, which was delicious. When staying here once previously I didn't meet Henri but did this time.

Once again I would recommend this riad to anyone. The location feels safer than I would expect staying in the souls too and it is a very easy walk to the main square. Great location for visiting the palaces and saadian tombs too.

I can't wait for my next trip

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
darlington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival to the Riad, we were greeted by Mohammed, who did his best to make us feel welcome. We were informed that Henri, again, wasn't present at the riad and was back in France. I wouldn't mind this but we had already emailed with concerns prior to the visit and were assured that it would be all fine. We checked into the riad room, which was small but sufficient as well as tidy before heading for dinner, which was good too! The next morning we awoke early and were served a delicious continental breakfast and met Henri's wife who did her best to communicate in English. All was fine. However, after a day out walking the sooks and eating a meal, my fiancé became ill during the night with severe sickness and diarrhoea. Telling the staff the next morning, we overheard them mention the fact that we had vodka in our room, which we did, but she wasn't drinking it! The assumption was cast that it was down to this! Unhappy, we asked for new towels etc. Upon return to the riad later on in the day, where my partner had spent all day on the terrace suffering still, the bathroom had not been cleaned and the floor was still dirty. I cleaned it myself! I'm not usually one to complain so just got on with things. However, I did feel the service lacked genuine concern for guests and was impersonal. Another issue was that complaints from previous posts such as smashed plant pots on the terrace and dead plants, hadn't been addressed. It seemed that the riad ran itself and staff provided a door service. This is just an opinion of course, but previous riads, cheaper in price, provided a much more genuine care for customer satisfaction. The staff seemed to step up the service when Henri's wife was around but this wasn't consistent. I feel slightly let down and would avoid in the future. It was awarded a trip advisor award in 2012. To be honest, I don't see why.

• Stayed October 2013
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Ideally situated in the Kasbah disctict, Henri & his lovely staff welcomes you at Riad Awa with warmth and simplicity. The house has been renovated with taste and has great art works on display. The house is pristine clean and full of little details that will make your stay truly unforgettable. The rooftop terraces and swimming pool add real value to your stay, especially after long walks in the city. One last thing to mention, it is literally next door to the famous "Bains de Marrakech", which is THE best spa in town. Will surely be back soon !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Riad Awa - we stayed here 2 years ago and returned because we were so happy with our first visit. We were collected from the airport and given a warm welcome by Mohammed at the Riad. It was unusually hot for October and we made full use of the sun terrace which is a rare luxury in the centre of Marrakech. The pool was spotlessly clean and my daughter used it daily. We stayed in the Beldi room on the first floor and have nothing but praise for all the staff and the way the Riad is run. Henri introduced himself to us and made sure we had everything we needed at all times. He was there throughout our entire stay. We ate at the Riad breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was delicious and served in very large portions. I have stayed at Maison MK and yes, it has wonderful food and free wifi but it is THREE times the price. So it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned as I can walk to a local café and get free wifi if I cannot live without email for a week. Being a seasoned traveller of over 25years I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Marrakech. Whilst you're in Morocco take advantage of Marrakech by Air and do the hot air balloon experience over the dessert, it's great value for money with an experienced, polished team.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

we have Selected the riad Awa, after reading lot of good reviews on trip advisor.

After initial welcome tea we were shown the rooms and was told by Mohammed that we have to vacate the second room after two days.
He had no knowledge that we had booking for superior rooms. After 2 days of constant nagging and harassment, when we showed him the booking form, he left us in peace to enjoy the rest of the holiday.
Breakfast on the roof terrace, despite ideal continental, was a nightmare because of constant presence of wasps and Bees. We have to leave breakfast half way one morning, when the bees dives into jam and honey bowel, to convince the staff that it could not be acceptable.

Do Expect no air conditioning when driving to and back from airport.n

It was total disappointment, I would not recommend it to anyone, unless Henry ( owner) himself is on the site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tetbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well, not sure where to start. I did note that most of the reviews seemed to be a little dated, the Riad certainly was not busy whilst we had our stay, 50% occupancy most of the time.
The collection from the airport was good, yet I'm afraid that is where good stops.
We are seasoned travellers and we usually use trip advisor as a steer on what a place is going to be like.
We were extremely dissapointed with the whole experience. This is a live report as I'm sat at the airport as I feel quite strongly on the feedback.
We were excited by meeting the "famous" Henri as we felt he was going to give us a good steer on places to visit, restaurants etc... We saw him once by accident, as walking down the stairs to organise a drink on our last day today, no intorduction, no asking if our stay was enjoyable, which probaly sums the situation up with the "famous" Henri.
We chose to ate in the Riad on the Friday evening for ease so we didn't need to go out and find somewhere after our flight as we arrived early evening, food was average, service very slow.
If you wish to have a little lie in on your break, after all you are on your holidays, and don't have to get up for work! My advice would be not to stay in the Leon room , a superior room, unfortunately next to the kitchen, and their were lots of pots and pans clattering for a continental breakfast for between 6 or 8 peope dependent on the day over the weekend??!!!! To top it off on our last day today, we have 2 of the kitchen attendants talking at the top of their voices like they were having an argument at 8am, Lovely on your holidays!
The pool and terrace, well it need a lot of TLC, I have some pictures which I will add when I arrive home, but to give you an idea, the pool needed a real good clean, for 2 days out of the 3 the filter of the pool wasn't working by the looks of things. There was a dark grey scum round the tiles at the edge of the water, not sure it was safe to bathe. The roof top "garden" needed the plants repotting, roots splitting out the broken pots, not really a relaxing site. Then a couple of days we had the laundry hanging over the Walls where we we lay, table cloths, towels! Drinks, available for you to go and get, but ice, rarely available, which is a must in a hot country, simple stuff!
In all, a very dispointing stay, photos will follow, but a lot of things are easy to fix with some love and care, I think I have the view if at earlier reviewer, that Henri has fallen out of love with Marrekesh.
I'm afraid, if it was my business, I would be all over it, as that's how you make money, not squeeze all you can, gain your trip advisor award and ship out....
Overall, there are way better places to stay, we went of a meal at MK Maison, (amazing!) will review later, but check out their rooms.
If you want cheap and cheerful, fairly clean rooms, ( I did have to ask them to change my sheets on arrival as they were very badly stained, not sure why you would make a bed with these sheets) then this is the place for you, however if you want some service and feel like you are on holiday, there are plenty of other places.

Room Tip: For quite, not the Leon
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
henriawa, Propriétaire at Riad Awa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Being the owner and manager of Riad Awa I'll do my best in the future not to appear as a bad manager.
I am sorry i was not in Morocco when the guests stayed at Riad Awa
I am a new grand father and i was in France with my daughter .

Last point about the breakfast.... Riad Awa is known (see all comments) for the quality of the fooding and the great cook (Bouchra) that proposes for more than 4 years excellent lunches, diners and breakfast different all days of the week.

Best regards from the sunny Marrakech.
Henri

Been to Riad Awa? Share your experiences!