“2nd Visit and Still Splendid!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Awa

Save Saved
You added Riad Awa to your Saves list
Riad Awa
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   6 derb el hajra kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #206 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Surrey
“2nd Visit and Still Splendid!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Riad Awa - we stayed here 2 years ago and returned because we were so happy with our first visit. We were collected from the airport and given a warm welcome by Mohammed at the Riad. It was unusually hot for October and we made full use of the sun terrace which is a rare luxury in the centre of Marrakech. The pool was spotlessly clean and my daughter used it daily. We stayed in the Beldi room on the first floor and have nothing but praise for all the staff and the way the Riad is run. Henri introduced himself to us and made sure we had everything we needed at all times. He was there throughout our entire stay. We ate at the Riad breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was delicious and served in very large portions. I have stayed at Maison MK and yes, it has wonderful food and free wifi but it is THREE times the price. So it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned as I can walk to a local café and get free wifi if I cannot live without email for a week. Being a seasoned traveller of over 25years I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Marrakech. Whilst you're in Morocco take advantage of Marrakech by Air and do the hot air balloon experience over the dessert, it's great value for money with an experienced, polished team.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

we have Selected the riad Awa, after reading lot of good reviews on trip advisor.

After initial welcome tea we were shown the rooms and was told by Mohammed that we have to vacate the second room after two days.
He had no knowledge that we had booking for superior rooms. After 2 days of constant nagging and harassment, when we showed him the booking form, he left us in peace to enjoy the rest of the holiday.
Breakfast on the roof terrace, despite ideal continental, was a nightmare because of constant presence of wasps and Bees. We have to leave breakfast half way one morning, when the bees dives into jam and honey bowel, to convince the staff that it could not be acceptable.

Do Expect no air conditioning when driving to and back from airport.n

It was total disappointment, I would not recommend it to anyone, unless Henry ( owner) himself is on the site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tetbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well, not sure where to start. I did note that most of the reviews seemed to be a little dated, the Riad certainly was not busy whilst we had our stay, 50% occupancy most of the time.
The collection from the airport was good, yet I'm afraid that is where good stops.
We are seasoned travellers and we usually use trip advisor as a steer on what a place is going to be like.
We were extremely dissapointed with the whole experience. This is a live report as I'm sat at the airport as I feel quite strongly on the feedback.
We were excited by meeting the "famous" Henri as we felt he was going to give us a good steer on places to visit, restaurants etc... We saw him once by accident, as walking down the stairs to organise a drink on our last day today, no intorduction, no asking if our stay was enjoyable, which probaly sums the situation up with the "famous" Henri.
We chose to ate in the Riad on the Friday evening for ease so we didn't need to go out and find somewhere after our flight as we arrived early evening, food was average, service very slow.
If you wish to have a little lie in on your break, after all you are on your holidays, and don't have to get up for work! My advice would be not to stay in the Leon room , a superior room, unfortunately next to the kitchen, and their were lots of pots and pans clattering for a continental breakfast for between 6 or 8 peope dependent on the day over the weekend??!!!! To top it off on our last day today, we have 2 of the kitchen attendants talking at the top of their voices like they were having an argument at 8am, Lovely on your holidays!
The pool and terrace, well it need a lot of TLC, I have some pictures which I will add when I arrive home, but to give you an idea, the pool needed a real good clean, for 2 days out of the 3 the filter of the pool wasn't working by the looks of things. There was a dark grey scum round the tiles at the edge of the water, not sure it was safe to bathe. The roof top "garden" needed the plants repotting, roots splitting out the broken pots, not really a relaxing site. Then a couple of days we had the laundry hanging over the Walls where we we lay, table cloths, towels! Drinks, available for you to go and get, but ice, rarely available, which is a must in a hot country, simple stuff!
In all, a very dispointing stay, photos will follow, but a lot of things are easy to fix with some love and care, I think I have the view if at earlier reviewer, that Henri has fallen out of love with Marrekesh.
I'm afraid, if it was my business, I would be all over it, as that's how you make money, not squeeze all you can, gain your trip advisor award and ship out....
Overall, there are way better places to stay, we went of a meal at MK Maison, (amazing!) will review later, but check out their rooms.
If you want cheap and cheerful, fairly clean rooms, ( I did have to ask them to change my sheets on arrival as they were very badly stained, not sure why you would make a bed with these sheets) then this is the place for you, however if you want some service and feel like you are on holiday, there are plenty of other places.

Room Tip: For quite, not the Leon
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
henriawa, Propriétaire at Riad Awa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Being the owner and manager of Riad Awa I'll do my best in the future not to appear as a bad manager.
I am sorry i was not in Morocco when the guests stayed at Riad Awa
I am a new grand father and i was in France with my daughter .

Last point about the breakfast.... Riad Awa is known (see all comments) for the quality of the fooding and the great cook (Bouchra) that proposes for more than 4 years excellent lunches, diners and breakfast different all days of the week.

Best regards from the sunny Marrakech.
Henri
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came here with my partner on a friend's recommendation and it didn't fail to disappoint. It really is an oasis in the heart of Marrakech. The room's are beautifully furnished and very clean..Unfortunately it was too cold to use the pool on the roof. However, the breakfasts served on the roof each morning were absolutely amazing - a fabulous surprise and a great treat! Its a perfect romantic getaway and would also be a great one for the 'girls'. We subsequently recommended it to a friend as a romantic getaway for his girlfriend and they loved it too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

From the moment we were picked up at Marrakesh Airport to our return home a week later Riad Awa and its staff were an absolute delight. Let's start with breakfast - simply superb. Continuing on this culinary note dinner was taken at the hotel on 4 nights, 3 course meal with wine 20 euros a head, cooking sublime. Room was clean, air conditioned and well serviced with towels, robes and toiletries. The crowning glory? Henri (the owner) presented my wife with 40 red roses for our wedding anniversary - a lovely and kind touch. The Riad is in the Kasbah just by Bab Agnou and a 10 minute stroll from the Koutoubia mosque in the centre of town. The Riad will arrange taxis and trips to wherever you require - we spent a day in the Atlas mountains at Setti Fatma including a visit to berber household for mint tea and oil-drizzled flatbread, Delightful. In summary - one of the most enjoyable stays we have had anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: 6 rooms - quieter ones away fromn the entrance alley.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

A perfect stay in Riad Awa with a group of friends in our first time in Marrakech. Good location, great food in the Riad, nice and friendly service with all we need and ready to help in anything you might need. We, really, enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a lovely time at the Riad, my friend turned 30 and they had red roses put in the room which was lovely. The food was the best I ate whilst there. Loved the plunge pool spent a couple of days around the pool so I came back very chilled out. Thanks again for everything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Awa? Share your experiences!