“True Italian-caliber pizza” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Montreal, Canada
“True Italian-caliber pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We happened across this place accidentally in the afternoon and stopped to look at the menu (we had intentions of having pizza for supper after 2 weeks of tagine), and the owner approached us and said we should come back for dinner (which I'm aware is what he does to all who pass his door). My friend and I can be pizza "snobs", only enjoying traditional thin-crust, wood-fired true Italian pizza, so we were wary about finding such a pizza in Morocco. The owner showed us the wood-burning pizza oven that is as real-deal as it gets, could have been lifted right out of Naples. The restaurant also has the Italian Hospitality Seal of Quality, another good sign. We decided to return for dinner that night, and boy am I glad we did!

The garden courtyard is lovely, the wine list has some interesting Italian bottles and are given a bowl of olives, some bruschetta-like tomato topping, and a yummy spread with the bread basket (more good signs). Perusing the menu, I felt like I was back in Italy, or at one of the classic Italian restos back home. Homemade pastas and 2 and a half pages of pizza options (both classic toppings and interesting combos including halal options for sausage or ham) made it hard to choose. I settled on the Casanova 2, a pizza topped with mozzarella, prosciutto di Parma, arugula, and Brie. It was delicious! The size of the pizza is pretty enormous, I'd say 12 inches in diameter, but I polished it off happily. The winner for me was the crust: flavorful, very thin, but not soggy or flopping under the weight of the ingredients, not burnt nor floury (so no white podwery fingers). Often pizza crusts are neglected in favor of the toppings and are devoid of flavor, so I always enjoy and appreciate a crust that can hold its own. I could have used a touch more sauce, but there was a nice amount of cheese on my pizza, bubbly, gooey mozzarella with just a touch of saltiness. There wasn't very much brie, but the hits of it I did get were delicious and melded well with the rest of the flavours. The prosciutto was top-notch, lean, salty, not overly dry, and the arugula provided a welcome burst of freshness. A drizzle of spicy chili-infused oil brought the whole thing up a notch.

I would rate this pizza on par with what I've eaten in Naples, which is no small feat! I should have asked the owner if he has a Neapolitan pizzaiolo hiding in his kitchen, it was that good. He did pass our table quite often to welcome us and thank us for coming back. I imagine tons of people say they'll go but very few actually do, so the fact that we did seemed to make him very happy (and made me happy too as it was a great meal). The only critique I can make is that the service was a bit wishy-washy, we refilled our own wine glasses and had to search and wait for a waiter to pass by to ask for the bill. Otherwise, it's a lovely place to relax in the garden with a good glass of wine and great pizza with Italian classics playing in the background

Houston, Texas
“Great Pizza in the Land of Tangines and Couscous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

After days of tagines, couscous and brochettes, this high quality pizza was a great change for the family - especially our young kids.

Marrakech, Morocco
“Delicious pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great Italian pizza! I have been missing real pizza in Marrakech and this was a good option (though not as good as Italy). Also, very much enjoyed the chocolate mousse for desert. The garden seating area was really lovely!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Marrakech, Morocco
“The best pizza of Marrakech!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Everything in this restaurant can be described as unpretentious, but good food, friendly service and reasonable prices make it one of my favorite restaurants in Marrakech.
The pizza cooked in their wood-burning oven, is the best of Marrakech.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Best in Kech...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The only real italian in Marrakech, I am afraid...
Very good pizza, nice pasta and dessert...
I am italian so trust me... I used to live in Marrakech and I was going very often...
Plus open till late