“Great Base for Marrakech Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Turquoise
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   82 rue Touareg, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #153 of 1,137 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Base for Marrakech Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 8 nights at this Riad and were not disappointed. When arriving in the airport taxi transfer (arranged through the Riad) we were a little worried as the area does not look the best (however I now know if you’re staying in the medina all the areas are similar), we were lead down a small lane to the hotel entrance. As soon as we walked through the door all our fears disappeared, the decor of this beautiful riad is fantastic. We stayed in room turquoise which I liked as the windows look straight out into the courtyard. The riad was very clean and facilities good, location was great, just a short walk too many of the tourist attractions. Breakfast was nice everyday but could do with some variation as it is always the same, however I'm sure the staff would be more than happy to accommodate any requests.
Despite, all the plus points mentioned above the absolute best part of this Riad is the staff, so friendly, helpful, polite and nothing is too much trouble. We were greeted by Sufiyan who looked after us for the whole stay and I have kept in touch with him since leaving Marrakech. Ilham leaves your room spotless and smelling lovely each day and Khadijah makes a wonderful breakfast, I'm sure if we had an evening meal at Riad Turquoise it would have been lovely. Ask George the Riad owner for restaurant recommendations, he is happy to make reservations and knows all the good eateries. George booked an Atlas Mountain excursion for us which was a great trip.
If you are going to Marrakech and want to experience the heart of it and stay in the Medina I would definitely recommend this Riad.

Only slight criticism would be that some nights it was noisy when other guests return late and the lack of variety at breakfast (if you had a short stay the breakfast would not bother you).

The staff speak French, limited English or Moroccan Arabic, I can speak no French and hardly any Arabic but we got by just fine with English, my broken Arabic and itranslate on the i-phone which meant the free wifi on offer was very handy.

Room Tip: If it's in your price range ask for room chocolate, it is beautiful and very spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was really a cute little arab house turned into a dreamy hotel? It has different levels with terraces. Walking through it felt like walking through the Arab palaces in the game Prince of Persia. We felt right at home as soon as we walked through the door and were received by the hotel keeper Sofian since the own was not yet at the hotel until later on in the evening. The service provided by Sofian was first class, he was very humble, eager to please and always with a smile. The courtyard was very dreamy and we could see the kitchen at the corner, comfortable bench sofas are everywhere and throughout our stay I sometimes barefooted and felt pretty clean and didn't stepped in anything that would have made me go *eww yucky*.

We were given the suite Fushia right next to the Jacuzzi outside, it was quiet and private (but of course, we were there at low season). We enjoyed our first dinner up on the terrace of the hotel, it was delicious, better than I had expected.

The hotel belongs to George and his family so we were told by him, he was present all throughout our stay and he did all the booking for us, he even walked us to the restaurant Pepenero since it was hard to find through little wiggly waggly alleys. He was very a gracious and helpful host and he made our stay very enjoyable and we felt we were in good hands.

On our last night, we decided to dine in up on the terrace again. George arranged for me to talk to the cook, I explain to her what we really needed to eat since we were in dying need of a home cook meal and she did just that. She was very nice as I was running in and out of the kitchen talking to her, I actually felt like I was at home which I did not feel the same at other hotels. She did an amazing job of preparing our last dinner at the Riad Turquoise, we ate and enjoyed everything she prepared and we were very thankful.

I reckon it wouldn't be the same had we come to Marrakech and stayed in Le Riad Turquoise in high season but I am certain that we would get the same treatment as we did. So my suggestion people, go out of season even though it would be more heat but it was bearable.

George, the wild wild west saloon door to the toilet was very annoying, we have the same door at our house but to our kitchen and it is smooth as silk. The panels were hard to push and very noisy. Nonetheless, Riad Turquoise is the best hotel on our list even better than the Atlantis in Dubaï.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have written 400 reviews and this is one of the best places I have stayed. The place is hidden in the medina and when you go through the tiny door you get to an amazing courtyard which is paradise. We had a large suite on the roof next to the jacuzzi which was lovely

George booked all our trips our restaurants and guides and was super super helpful in a genuine way . He and his staff particularly sophran were wonderful

Any criticisms? Didn't like the door on the toilet!

The rest was wonderful, will certainly be back

Far far better than the international hotels outside the medina.

Room Tip: The suites are excellent the fuchsia suite is the best .
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great place to stay. It was like an oasis in amongst the hustle and bustle.
The staff were great, although it's best you know some French as they don't speak much English, but they are all extremely helpful. It is in a really good location- easy to walk anywhere.

The only negatives I would say are that as the rooms look out onto the central courtyard they are extremely noisy when people come in late talking etc.
Also everyone was having trouble with the keys to the front door and 2 different nights I was woken up as people could not get it and there were no staff around to let them in, so I had to leave my room and go down to let them in- Was not very nice, especially as it was past midnight.

Also if there is a problem at night there are no staff to help.

Having said that, I still thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

we only stayed one night in this beautiful riad - we wished that we could have stayed longer and really used the spa pool and plunge pool and gorgeous terraces to their full effect.
My l friend and i only booked the one night on a brief visit to Marrakesh but it was made all the more memorable staying here. the staff and owner were charming and so helpful the breakfast superb and the room ( saffron room) just lovely.
The delightful touches - ribbon around the towels, lovely toiletries and towelling robes, scatter cushions, scented candles the turquoise theme throughout - just spoil you
I cannot use too many superlatives to say what a joy this place is - the location is fab for the medina and centre of Marrakesh and the tranquility amazing ! just do yourself a favour try and stay its really good !

Room Tip: brilliant for a short stay in Marrakesh - do not be put off by the small alleyway behind the door is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the Riad is beautiful, clean, cosy, an oasis of peace in hectic Marrakech. What makes it even more exceptional is the kindness of the owner Georges. Incredibly helpful, he is the ultimate source of information to organize each day, avoid mistakes. He is 100% trustworthy, will even make restaurant reservations for you. Simply said he just does everything he can to make the stay enjoyable. The same can be said of hos staff. Great great place !

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked a 4 night trip to Marrakech as a surprise for my partner’s 30th birthday, with a Living Social deal for Riad Pachavana. However, the Riad was changed at the last minute to Riad Turquoise. I was worried about what the new place would be like, but I had absolutely no reason to be. It was wonderful. Excellent location, every room and area was beautiful. The rooftop terrace (with Jacuzzi) was amazing for lounging around, or having breakfast or dinner. The staff were amazing – they could not do enough for you. We also had a massage while we were there which was excellent. Breakfast every day was lovely, and the 1 dinner we had there was fantastic. Cannot recommend this Riad enough

Room Tip: Chocolat room was incredible - more like a suite! Stunning decoration and ambience, can't imagin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple