“Novotel? More like the 'No-No'-tel!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Suite Novotel Marrakech

Save Saved
You added Suite Novotel Marrakech to your Saves list
Suite Novotel Marrakech
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Haroun Errachid | Quartier de l'hivernage, Marrakech 40020, Morocco   |
Ranked #289 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
London
“Novotel? More like the 'No-No'-tel!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Well - the room itself within the hotel was perfectly decent (good bathroom - shower AND bath, nice size bedroom with nice furniture). The cost was good too (£60 per night per room, shared between 2).

HOWEVER, the staff and service are appaling. It takes literally forever to get served at the front desk (the bar at the back is rarely manned - but when it is, the bar staff are lovely). There's no room service (although you can take a bottle of wine or whatever up from the bar).

The pool is ok - pretty small and full of kids, but it'll do. Deck chairs are ok too (not very many of them, though). Pretty good music playing outside - cheesy 90's commercial tracks.

DO NOT eat breakfast here on pain of death!! The selection will send you into a boredom coma, and if you get over that and decide to eat anything - well, don't say I didn't warn you! Bread is all stale, ham smelly, eggs hard as rocks - in fact, I tried several eggs in increasing desperation but with each one, the rubbery white gave way to a bullet-hard, dark GREEN golf-ball of a yolk that bounced out of the egg, and that I just couldn't stomach. There is no kitchen here and so I can only imagine that they shoved a load of eggs in a kettle for an hour to get them to that state. They frequently ran out of milk and juice, and it took forever to refill.

If you do decide to stay here (even bearing in mind that there's a nice-looking Sofitel hotel across the road...), I highly suggest you eat at this lovely cafe about 2 minutes up the road, turning right out of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

768 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

So close to the road and parking was a problem. The staff was quite pleasant and helpful. The staff could speak English and therefore communication was not a problem. The rooms were small however the facilities were goods. The facilities in the room could pass it for 4 star hotel having already stayed in another hotel in Rabat. The only unfortunate thing was that the room I occupied had paper cups for tea instead of proper teacups. This really reduced the standard of service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel and its staff are absolutely amazing. They have hearts and kindness beyond belief and are an amazing establishment in the noveau riche district of Marrakech. They are very helpful and the hotel is clean. The manager and the hotel driver helped me beyond words and the call of duty when my bag got stolen is a souk. They drove me to the police station, gave me water helped me calm down and translated and stayed with me until the statement was complete.They offered emotional support as well making me feel safer and being of as much help as they possibly could. If you are reading this I am very very grateful.
The breakfast is slightly limited but very universal and fresh There are coissants and toast/ cereal and bread rolls. The pool is a lovely way to spend the hottest parts of the day which is surprisingly towards the end of the afternoon (3pm onwards). The hotel is very accommodating and will always bring more sunbeds out if the pool gets too busy.
The area of the hotel compared to the rest of the city feels very safe and is a lovely scene. There is also a Louis Vuitton placed right around the corner and a carrefour not too far which is a great supermarket for snacks and drinks.
As a group of four we got 2 rooms and generraly would advise anyone more than a group of 3 to do the same as the 4th bed is a pull out on the floor so for comfort another room is a better idea.
A lovely restaurant nearby too but it is quite pricey though. It is called Camouni and is on the same road with amazing food.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the hotel have better wifi.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Been in this hotel for 3 nights for Business. Marrakech is the type of town where you either get the really good 5 star hotels or nothing really. The hotel is not a 4 star Novotel in European terms. The hotel is very dark and simple. From inside and out you can tell it needs a refurbishment. Rooms are ok but furniture and paint need attention. Generally the whole room doesn't make you feel welcome... Breakfast is awful with only continental on selection, no cooked breakfast. Internet works only if you are in the central rooms of any floor. Its ok if you switch your expectations to a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: choose a room in the middle of the floor and not in the end of the corridor to get a good internet s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with 2 female friends. Unfortunately we were mugged on our second night, the hotel staff could not do enough for us! They were helpful in translating, taking us to police station several times, getting medication from chemist, letting us upgrade to sister hotels spa services for daytime use, nothing was too much trouble. Hotel was spacious, clean, breakfast had lots of choice. Staff clean and polite. All extra help given to us was free of charge. I cannot wait to return with my husband as it is a beautiful country and hotel. I will not be put off by 2 scallywags!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Unfortunately on arrival at the hotel the member of staff on the desk when we arrived advised that we had not paid for our room - we had a confirmation from the hotel saying we had paid for both the room and the local taxes prior to arrival which I showed him, he dismissed this and said we still owed the money, he agreed to check 'the system' and come back to us.

In the meantime I checked my card which had been charged fully.

On the day we checked out we presumed this had been checked and that our check out would be no problem, the same member of staff advised that we still owed money for the room and local taxes, after much debate I asked to see the Manager to which he said I could not.

In the end he said okay you can just pay the tax, I explained around 3 times that it was already clearly stated on my confirmation that we had paid this in full.

The member of staff was extremely rude and refused to even speak to me directly or let me see the Manager - even though we had an email confirmation from Novotel saying there was zero to pay and that we had paid the room charge and the local tax we still had to pay again.

This is disgraceful and not what I would expect from a chain hotel, I have never been spoken to and lied to by any reception staff and it ruined a very nice holiday. Not only that but we left feeling conned and out of pocket - having to pay for a hotel twice is totally unacceptable!

I would never recommend this hotel or Novotel to anyone after this incident.

On top of this we had to ask reception every time we wanted to access our room as the key cards never work and had to be re-programmed every time we wanted to go in our room which was really inconvenient, some times it took 2 or 3 attempts at going up and down in the lift and back to reception just to get them to work.

A really disappointing stay, never ever again.

Feel totally conned and stolen from, if it had been England I would of reported this to the police

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else not worth the stress
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Was a bit apprehensive before going due to having read reviews of lots of Marrakech hotels being lovely but staff being rude or ignorant and service poor, but I am happy to say staff at Suite novotel were great, very friendly, great service, patient and very helpful. buffet breakfast was good, nice eating round the pool in the morning, Gym was free but a bit sparse, 3 or 4 cardio machines, no good for a good hard gym session,so didnt use it much. Ineternet wifi great and tv ok. Overall good stay in clean good value hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Been to Suite Novotel Marrakech? Share your experiences!