“Much better than the reviews promised!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Grand Imilchil

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Avenue Echouhada Hivernage, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #396 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Kendal, England, United Kingdom
“Much better than the reviews promised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here at the beginning and end of a two week trek in the High atlas. Contrary to many of the reviews I was pleasantly surprised. It isn't 4 star by UK standards but both our rooms were clean with comfortable beds. Service was occasionally a bit haphazard but the staff were courteous and keen to help. It would have been nice to stay a little closer to the centre of town, but standards were higher than in a lot of hotels I've stayed in while participating in adventure holidays in Europe. No complaints at all!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This sad hotel was old and the staff were rude and unhelpful. It was just terrible. Don't do it. Nothing nice to say about this place. I stayed here as the start of a tour, I don even know how they stay in business.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the hotel at the start and at the end of a tour we had in Morocco. This hotel is located in the westernised part of Marrakech and isn't particularly great if you want to throw yourself into the culture. For some of our trip we stayed in a riad in the old medina which wasn't part if the tour and was much more exciting.
But back to the hotel, it's clean enough but the rooms are basic. It has everything you need though: tv, clean bathrooms, comfy beds. If you're looking for somewhere to crash and eat breakfast then this is perfect, if you're looking for something a bit more fancy, I'd suggested booking somewhere else. Luckily we were not, so it was fine. I can't comment on the price unfortunately, as our stay was paid as a part of a the tour. Our first room had a balcony which was great, but when we returned, our view wasn't particularly brilliant and we had had no balcony.
The only complaint I really had was breakfast; it took a while to come as you have to sit down and wait to be served, so just leave plenty of time for breakfast if you need to get off somewhere. Breakfast was good though, typically Moroccan!
The walk from the hotel to the old Medina and Jemma Fna Square is simple, easy and only takes about 10 mins. The supermarket is about 2 mins away and sells everything.
The hotel also has a pool which was clean, although always seemed a little quiet. Staff were friendly and always willing to help.
I gave an average rating due to the breakfast, location and lack of a real Marrakech experience - but all depends on what you want!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel should only be considered for a one or two-night stay before trekking the Atlas Mountains. It has a great location, you can walk almost everywhere including Jemaa el-Fna, but the rooms aren't that great and the real problem is the staff, unfortunately. The rooms are cleaned in numerous steps (first they clean, then they leave, then they go get one towel, they leave again, in a total of five times where your room is sometimes open and unnatended). Our breakfast was OK but, yeah, no second OJ...

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place would only be given 3*s if it was reviewed by Stevie Wonder. I was part of an organised trek across Morocco with this hotel being the Marrakesh base. First impressions were that of a rather basic, badly decorated lobby with a bored looking front of house chap sat behind the desk. We were given the keys to a first floor twin room which can best be described as an unfortunate mixture of my grandmother's house and Del Boy Trotter's flat. The room smelly of damp and horse piss, and the beds had itchy mismatched flowery blankets on them, ideal for the 53 degree climate. I was delighted to spot a 1970's phone, however to my dismay this functioned purely as a toy and not as a phone. It was obviously considered an authentic ornament to brighten up the room. We were amused to see that in the corridor there was a glass cabinet marked “Fire extinguisher”, however this contained bottles of dirty water and no extinguisher! Nice one Health and Safety.
The bathroom was appalling. We had to ask for towels, loo roll and soap. All of which caused the grumpy reception man to act as though we had asked for truffles or diamonds. My other complaint was that of the flickering strip light above the mirror. I reported it to two different members of staff, explaining that whilst the disco shower was fun to start with, I was mildly concerned about becoming epileptic. They told me that “no-one is here to fix it”. It materialised that despite there being 4 male staff members standing around admiring the ceiling, none of them were capable of changing a strip light. I offered to change it myself, but they refused.
Having stomped back upstairs to my disco for one, I discovered a cockroach scuttling across the dressing table! I soon realised that the men downstairs were for decorative purposes only and would not be of much help, although one was comically dressed as an army sergeant, which cheered me up momentarily.
Breakfast was by all accounts ridiculously rationed and dull. One extremely over-cooked hard-boiled egg, one cheese triangle and a bread roll. Due to being yeast intolerant I asked if I could have another glass of orange juice, considering that I couldn’t eat the bread, and the surly waiter looked as if I had requested a BBQ’d kitten and told me that I would have to pay 20 dirhams for the OJ. I fed my egg and cheese triangle to the rather lovely cat family that were playing in the trees outside (the only positive element to this hotel), all the time being watched by the breakfast police.
The pool is great if you do not value the 7 layers of skin you were born with and quite fancy a free chemical peel. At this point I could not wait to start the trek and escape, but later found out that we would stay a total of 5 nights here throughout the journey. Splendid.
I would only recommend this hotel to people that I really do not like. There are plenty more hotels around this area, I suggest you try those instead.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here pie and post your, as others.....first night was not good, given a room with no view and a mouldy bathroom ceiling.
Breakfast next morning was served by grumpy guy who want keen on offering second chip of coffee.
On return trip, was given a much nicer room, both a bath and shower included, shower was hot and powerful.
Nice view over pool, WiFi extended up to room on first floor, so that was a bonus.
The pool was nice, warm even at 6.45 in the morning.
Breakfast was a while different affair too...helpful smiley service.
There may be complaints about it being quite basic, but it's more than I would help myself to at a buffet.

Second impressions worth it this time.

Quick walk to medina too and supermarket round the corner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here last week on 2 occasions, with my 2 children, at the beginning and end of a trekking holiday. I don’t know the room rate because we were booked as part of our trip, so can’t comment on it from a value for money point of view -but suspect if I was able to, value for money would not rate highly. But beds and a pool, after the mountains, were welcome.

It is very close to a real supermarket -yay! –a Carrefour –open good hours so cheap water, snacks, toiletries etc for holiday makers are easily available. Also two banks, with ATMs, are close by.

It's about 20 minutes walk from the medina.

Both rooms were a bit scruffy. When the hot taps were turned on (shower/bath, basin, bidet) the water ran orange for a short time -scary. The aircon struggled. The hot water failed completely in the late afternoon, presumably when everyone wanted a shower (although occupancy was low).

The public spaces –corridors, reception, dining etc were fine, although the overall impression is of tiredness.

The outside space is good, and the pools very good although heavily chlorinated.

The breakfasts were simple but OK. We ate lunch there once, and the quality and cost were fine. Friendly staff although breakfast service was not up to much! Front desk service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Le Grand Imilchil? Share your experiences!