“Excellent tourist class hotel in beautiful garden” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Grand Imilchil

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
You added Hotel Le Grand Imilchil to your Saves list
Avenue Echouhada Hivernage, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #384 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Italy
“Excellent tourist class hotel in beautiful garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is listed as a 3rd cat. hotel but is really higher. It is located in the most beautiful part of downtown Marrakesh, near many super luxury hotels. Has a beautiful garden, all rooms with balconies. and small pool. Relaxing and quiet with personal attention for rental cars, restaurants, etc. Highly recommended for budget travelers and others who want to be in the center of everything with a garden and pool at a low price with high quality.

Room Tip: Choose room with view over pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel! I broke my ankle in the Haut Atlas which brought an end to our holiday. The staff were the best. It's within easy walking distance of the centre. The breakfast is plain but more than adequate. The rooms weren't modern but kept spotlessly clean. Dinner was tagines with tastey soup, then fresh fruit. No one needs any more than this for a holiday in Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here at the start and end of a group trip with Explore. Having travelled with Explore previously, we were familiar with the standard of hotels that are used, and the Imilchil was at least as good as those we've stayed in elsewhere. We found the staff (reception, porters, cleaners and waiters) to be very friendly and helpful. On our first night we were in a room at the rear of the hotel on the 2nd floor, and had a view towards the city walls and main minaret. This room was basic but clean - something of a 'tired Travelodge' standard. On our return, we were in a room on the first floor at the front of the hotel. This room was smarter. We have no complaints about either room, or the hotel. Sure, it's not 5* luxury, but it's in a good location in a nice part of town approx 10 mins walk from Djemme el Fna, and 2 mins from an ATM and 2 mins from a branch of Carrefour. (BTW, yes, the porter took money up front for our taxi to the airport - but given that his markup was the equivalent of about £3.50, I was happy that he made a little money in return for arranging a friendly, reliable driver on our behalf.)

Room Tip: Room 115 at the front of the hotel was clean, bright, sunny and had a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The hotel presents nicely. However it did smell of diesel. I had to pay for the room safe key and the price seemed to increase as I was talking. But I got that impression on most services in Morocco - a lot of ripping off. The included breakfast was actually the best I had in any Moroccan hotel, and the pool facilities were good.
It was convenient to walk to the medina and there are some nice restaurant/ bars on the street.

• Stayed December 2012
Halifax, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a group trip.

Biggest issue was with the staff who totally ripped me off when I asked them to get a cab for me - best advice would be to arrange your own transport & if you do need to get them to find a cab then make sure you don't give them the money up front.

Hotel was basic. The door on to the balcony didn't lock which gave me concerns about security. There was a leak in the bathroom which meant there was a constant puddle on the floor.

It's quite a walk from the hotel to the medina.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is much used by treking companies. Clients staying just a night before shipping into the mountains or out of the country. I was one of these! Its a basic hotel, a bit tired and not overly clean but not dirty either. The toilet in my room leaked when flushed and looked like it had been doing so for a long time. The hotel weren't concerned when I reported it. My 1st room was on the top floor and it seemed the hot water pressure couldn't reach that far and I only got a lukewarm dribble out of the tap. The advertised room rate was around 45euros, haggle, you will get it for 30. Good enough location, 20 mins to the square & the hotel next door sells beer. Overall, good enough for an overnight crash but I wouldn't want to stay here for a holiday.

Room Tip: Question mark about hot water to the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HamiltonNZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I ended up staying here 4 nights (2 nights pre-departure of a tour and 2 nights after the tour).
I was a bit nervous after reading other reviews...but actually I was quite impressed.

The Hotel is mid range. I paid 35pund for my room and I was happy.
My first room was on the 6th floor over looking the Pool and I had a balcony which was great for drying clothes. (Second room was on the 4th floor also with a balcony) The mattress when you first lie on it was very hard...but I ended up having a fantastic sleep and woke up with no back pain or pressure point pain. I stayed in 8 other Hotels in Morocco and all the Hotels had similar mattresses. For me they were great.
Both my rooms were clean, and confortable. I did find the locks on the door a bit difficult...so can understand why the previous reviewer had problems.

Breakfast, was a little basic and a bit slow. So I would suggest that you shop at the local supermarket which is a 2 min walk from the hotel. (Go out the reception doors, turn right at the first corner. At the next intersection turn left and the supermarket is just across the road.) Its a good place to buy your water (downstairs).

Staff: I found the housekeeping staff were lovely and they gave me extra loo paper when I asked as you only get a little bit in the rooms.
The door staff were very attentive and so were the reception staff.
However, there was one man who was very rude who sat behind his desk all day and never wanted to get up to help. Other guests also commented in his poor behaviour and he really let the place down.

Medina: The medina is a 10-15 min walk from the Hotel and is quite easy to find. I walked back in the evenings with some other guests and felt quite safe. (Crossing the road is a challenge...I suggest you find a local to cross with as it can be a bit daunting at night).

Train: The train station is close by. I caught the train from Casablanca to Marrakech. Be aware that prices go up after 8pm. A normal fare for a local is around 10-15dirham. I had to pay 50dir after 8pm.
All in all...I was very happy to stay here.

Room Tip: Keep your curtains closed when you leave the room. It will help it keep cool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Le Grand Imilchil? Share your experiences!