“Basic hotel, beware of the staff!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Grand Imilchil

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Avenue Echouhada Hivernage, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #386 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel, beware of the staff!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a group trip.

Biggest issue was with the staff who totally ripped me off when I asked them to get a cab for me - best advice would be to arrange your own transport & if you do need to get them to find a cab then make sure you don't give them the money up front.

Hotel was basic. The door on to the balcony didn't lock which gave me concerns about security. There was a leak in the bathroom which meant there was a constant puddle on the floor.

It's quite a walk from the hotel to the medina.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is much used by treking companies. Clients staying just a night before shipping into the mountains or out of the country. I was one of these! Its a basic hotel, a bit tired and not overly clean but not dirty either. The toilet in my room leaked when flushed and looked like it had been doing so for a long time. The hotel weren't concerned when I reported it. My 1st room was on the top floor and it seemed the hot water pressure couldn't reach that far and I only got a lukewarm dribble out of the tap. The advertised room rate was around 45euros, haggle, you will get it for 30. Good enough location, 20 mins to the square & the hotel next door sells beer. Overall, good enough for an overnight crash but I wouldn't want to stay here for a holiday.

Room Tip: Question mark about hot water to the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HamiltonNZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I ended up staying here 4 nights (2 nights pre-departure of a tour and 2 nights after the tour).
I was a bit nervous after reading other reviews...but actually I was quite impressed.

The Hotel is mid range. I paid 35pund for my room and I was happy.
My first room was on the 6th floor over looking the Pool and I had a balcony which was great for drying clothes. (Second room was on the 4th floor also with a balcony) The mattress when you first lie on it was very hard...but I ended up having a fantastic sleep and woke up with no back pain or pressure point pain. I stayed in 8 other Hotels in Morocco and all the Hotels had similar mattresses. For me they were great.
Both my rooms were clean, and confortable. I did find the locks on the door a bit difficult...so can understand why the previous reviewer had problems.

Breakfast, was a little basic and a bit slow. So I would suggest that you shop at the local supermarket which is a 2 min walk from the hotel. (Go out the reception doors, turn right at the first corner. At the next intersection turn left and the supermarket is just across the road.) Its a good place to buy your water (downstairs).

Staff: I found the housekeeping staff were lovely and they gave me extra loo paper when I asked as you only get a little bit in the rooms.
The door staff were very attentive and so were the reception staff.
However, there was one man who was very rude who sat behind his desk all day and never wanted to get up to help. Other guests also commented in his poor behaviour and he really let the place down.

Medina: The medina is a 10-15 min walk from the Hotel and is quite easy to find. I walked back in the evenings with some other guests and felt quite safe. (Crossing the road is a challenge...I suggest you find a local to cross with as it can be a bit daunting at night).

Train: The train station is close by. I caught the train from Casablanca to Marrakech. Be aware that prices go up after 8pm. A normal fare for a local is around 10-15dirham. I had to pay 50dir after 8pm.
All in all...I was very happy to stay here.

Room Tip: Keep your curtains closed when you leave the room. It will help it keep cool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Worcester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a great hotel if you're on a tight budget, nothing at all special. The Breakfast is ok (although you might need to wait if the hotel is busy). Rooms are ok, quite colourful bed covers! but yes the beds are exceptionally hard! Parking is available and seems secure. The pool is nice and well lokked after.
Frequently used by Adventure travel tours i.e Explore, Nomadic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am reporting a problem that occurred a few nights ago. The lock in the bathroom of room 314 did not work and therefore I was locked in there for about 5hours. On top of this incident, the telephone did not work in this critical case of emergency. Therefore I would like to give people a forward warning about the locks. The facilities here are mediocre but the advantages of staying here are the pool, the good location and the people I guess...

Room Tip: Rooms above floor 3 are ideal
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Walking into the foyer thought it would be nice hotel - wrong ! Staff were ok at best. The room was ok but the beds were like concrete. The bathroom sink nearly fell off the wall when I lent on it ! Breakfast was basic - bread , juice and tea. We asked to put some items in the refrigerator and it took two staff members to argue in front of us before one agreed to do so ???location was ok just outside the medina about 20 min walk to Jmaa del Fna. Overall pretty awful .

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The good: location is within walking distance to the new city and the area is relatively safe.
The bad: lackluster service at breakfast (orange juice, coffee and a croissant), poor plumbing in bathrooms where everything gets wet. Internet did not work most of the time.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le Grand Imilchil? Share your experiences!