“A Tranquil Oasis in the Heart of Crazy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Sekkat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Sekkat
You added Riad Sekkat to your Saves list
40 derb el Farnatchi | Rue Ahl Fes, Marrakech 44 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #10 of 201 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Austin, Texas
“A Tranquil Oasis in the Heart of Crazy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The most at home I have yet felt traveling in my entire life was at Riad Sekkat. The staff are the most welcoming and gracious people. Upon our late night arrival we had missed breakfast and lunch due to an exasperating series of plain rides. It was Thanksgiving, but we weren't expecting anyone in Morocco to know that. However, to our delight and surprise, the riad manager, Siham, and the talented cook, Raja, had researched and spent all day preparing a traditional thanksgiving dinner with a Moroccan twist! It was beyond awesome!

Our stay was the best! Every day I looked forward to waking up and just hanging out in the riad. Whenever we got overwhelmed by the persistent merchants in the Souks we could retreat back to our tranquil oasis and unwind.

I highly recommend Riad Sekkat for anyone who is looking to have a stay in Morocco that they will remember for the rest of their lives!

vavvoil, Propriétaire at Riad Sekkat, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
It seems evident for a Guest House to take care of our guests and Tanksgiving dinner was the way to welcome you
You are right a quiet and peaceful riad is necessary the Marrakech médina center effervescence. To seeing you, Valérie, Siham, Raja

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cannon Beach, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The staff in Riad Sekkat was amazing. Siham, the riad manager, would happlilly take us out and show us the ropes of Marrakech and help us plan activities. Raja, the riad cook, took us out on a tour of the market and even bought us baby chicks.

There is plenty of room to rome around in the riad, so you don't feel the need to get fresh air. the bedrooms are cozy, and the living area is awesome. I would highly recommend Riad Sekkat.

vavvoil, Propriétaire at Riad Sekkat, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
We are very happy about your satisfaction in Riad Sekkat. It has been a pleasure to Siham & Raja to introduce you to the real Marrakech way of life
See you later .... Inch Allah ;-)
Riad Sekkat team
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed in Riad Sekkat for 3 weeks with my husband, 5 kids and parents on holiday. It was the perfect oasis within Marrakech and we enjoyed everything about the property. The roof deck is wonderful, the bedrooms are all very cozy and the living areas are perfect in both warm and cool weather. The staff is excellent and we ended up eating almost 1/2 our dinners in the Riad because the chef was excellent. The location is convenient to all the sites within the medina so we only needed to use a taxi once. The staff also helped us book a few excursions to the sahara and the coast. I would recommend Riad Sekkat to anyone traveling to Marrakech.

vavvoil, Propriétaire at Riad Sekkat, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I apologise to answer so late, but very I was busy
Thank you for this gentle comment, the Riad Sekkat staff has really enjoy your time in Marrakech,
You are a wonderfull family ! Hope to see you again
Best regards ; Valérie, Siham, Raja
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

In march this year I stayed six days at Riad Sekkat, with my girlfriend. Last year I was there a few days by myself, and I find the place as nice and welcoming as I found it last year. I recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stumbled across this Riad on Tripadvisor. There are 4 rooms. It has a great location if you want to be in the heart of the Medina of Marrakech. The rooms were quiet, and the heater worked well. The hot water worked without an issue. The terrace on the roof is a nice spot on a sunny day. We didn't use the plunge pool as it was too cold during our stay. The caretaker doesn't speak English, but my French was good enough to get by, and he was very helpful. Although it's a small location, it's a great location for kids since they have rooms with two double beds, and it's small enough that you would feel comfortable with your kids in another room. Our kids felt very welcome.

This riad is difficult to find and not accessible easily by car. Generally, a taxi will park a 5 minute walk away, and a porter will take your bags to the riad in a cart.

A few notes for the frugal:
You can expect to have extra fees here for bottled water, the porter from your taxi to the riad.
The riad wants to be paid cash, which was a huge issue for us as the ATM will block the daily amount that you can withdraw, and we had 3 rooms for 4 nights (which adds up). We had to take multiple walks to the ATM to get enough dirhams for payment since our USD were not welcome.
Dinner/lunch at the Riad is a great value and high quality, but must be requested at breakfast time so they can prepare. The restaurants in Marrakech seem to be very expensive, and average quality. We found Khalid's cooking to be higher quality and less expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at this riad for one night following a mix up with my original accommodation bookings and on the advice of some friends who had previously stayed a couple of nights before me. Jeff and Valerie are wonderful hosts and made me feel very welcomed and they went out of their way to ensure that my stay in Marrakech was trouble free. The riad is a lovely little oasis right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Marrakech Medina and in the mornings you can even wake up to the sounds of birds. I would definitely recommend eating a delicious homemade Moroccan meal which is offered for a very good price. The rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable and the whole riad feels like a private little refuge from the energetic city outside. I would have loved to have stayed longer and will definitely be recommending this riad to other travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I travelled to Morocco this summer and stayed in Marrakech for the last 2 days of my holiday. I feel extremely fortunate to have spent the last night of my trip in Riad Sekkat as the location is fantastic: very central (5 minutes from the main square) however the riad was beautiful and it felt like and escape from the hussel and bussel of marrakech into a picturesque, peaceful paradise. My partner and I opted to eat dinner on the terrace which is covered in pretty flowers (and also provides a good private area where you can sunbathe and relax). The food was fantastic- although I had stayed in a very expensive 5 star hotel before staying at Riad Sekkat the meal eaten on the terrace was the most delicious meal I had eaten throughout my stay in Morrocco and was also very reasonable. If you drink alcohol (as I do) this is also offered at an additional cost and is very good quality.
The owners of the Riad are absolutely fabulous: not only extremely informative about options about what to do and where to go but also made us feel very comfortable and provided lovely accommodation where we could feel secure and "at home". Everything is kept nice and clean and the beds are very comfy.
I will definately be returning and would highly recommend to anyone travelling in Marrackech.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
valvoil, Propriétaire at Riad Sekkat, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you very much Lizzie for this very beautiful comment. In when your next session of massage? :-) Best regards

Been to Riad Sekkat? Share your experiences!