“A night to remember” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Sultana

La Sultana
403 rue de la Kasbah | 403 rue de la Kasbah, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco (Formerly Restaurant of 'La Sultana')
+212 5243-88008
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 553 Restaurants in Marrakech
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
hg-lil1
“A night to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I don't often use words like superb, but that pretty much sums up our evening at La Sultana. As soon as you step in off of Marrakech's crazy streets your know you're in for a treat and walking up to the restaurant I can understand the many reviews raving about this place as a hotel.
My husband and I both went for the non-moroccan taster menu, having eaten tangine on the previous two nights, and we are so happy we did. Every mouthful was a treat and we will remember this meal on the beautiful rooftop terrace forever I have no doubt. It is undeniably pricey, especially for marrakech, but worth every penny in my opinion and would be fantastic as a treat for birthdays or anniversaries. We had a bottle of Merlot for about £16 I think which was lovely, no need to go for the more expensive wines. The staff were lovely and friendly.
If you're thinking about going, I would wholeheartedly recommend it. You'll enjoy every moment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Miami Beach, Florida
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place will remain in your lifetime memories.
An secluded, quiet gem on the top of hectic souks the setting is breathtaking. It goes for lunch and dinner and is one of the most romantic place in Marrakesh.

Padova
“a romantic, pleasant and tasty terrace with good food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

You can choose Maghreb or International style cuisine. Select moroccan wines because they deserve to be drunk.Everything was well cooked and prepared .

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Surroundings are very nice
Amazing view
Great hotel
Good food, not too expensive
We sad so we could look down at SAADIAN TOMBS

New York City, New York
“A perfectly nice night out in Marrakech.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Marrakech is a mad fusion of life and colour and noise, it is vibrance personified. The Riads, like La Sultana offer the few who can afford it, a respite from the hustle and bustle. The La Sultana terrace continues this idea, by serving traditional Moroccan food, cooked well, in a setting more conducive to a relaxing night out. This it absolutely gets right, the rooftop terrace is lit wonderfully, with lanterns casting all manner of fabulous shadows, it's beautiful. There was a single musician playing local music on the night we visited and this was a wonderful sound to listen to.

The service was for us, mostly very good. I say mostly, as the waiter had to return to take our order twice, we had to ask for the wine list. Small gripes, I know, but it's what knocks a five star to a four star night.

Both my wife and I ordered form the Moroccan menu, for starters the traditional soup each, a lamb tagine and a beef cous cous for main. The food was fine, nice flavours, vegetables we tasty, and the portions more than adequate.

In the end the reason I gave La Sultana three stars was because of the price, 130 dirhams (approx 12 euros) for a very basic, albeit tasty soup. and 250 dirhams (approx 24 euros) for a main dish. For Marrakech, this is exorbitant, and overall I don't think the quality matched the price.

All in all I can see why others have enjoyed La Sultana, as an Australian, who has lived in New York for the past three years, Marrakech can be quite a sensory overload, and a nice dinner, quiet and peaceful, can easily be a fantastic night out. For me however it was just ok.

• Visited October 2013