“Too traditional for us” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Sussex, England
“Too traditional for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Lets start with the location - if you want earthy, local experience then this has it all - inaccessible by car, a chap with a wheelbarrow took our luggage down the side streets, the last being too narrow to get down other than on foot. A 5 minute walk from the main square - great in the day, if you dodge the mopeds, but a bit scary at night and I could have done without being offered hash for the umpteenth time outside the riad. The welcome couldn't be faulted and we had a lovely cup of tea before being given the "tour". It's rustic. The 'pool' we were shown was marginally bigger than 3 domestic baths shoved together. The place was clean and tidy enough. The roof terrace was compact shall we say but it looked all very lovely. Our room was just not for us - I think we had looked at the better room pics on this site and assumed that they would all be as nice - the WC and bath (the interior of which was mud brown in colour) were separated from the bed by a curtain; sorry just not my idea of a nice experience. The previous guest had taken the one key with them so our room was insecure, there was a safe so at least our small valuables could be locked away. The following day some workmen were replacing the lock when we returned to our room after a walk.
Breakfast was very nice, and the staff helpful - their spoken English not great but then why should it be, our poor French was worse, but between the two we all got by. We decided that it really wasn't the place or the location for us.; fortunately the free wifi was just that so we organised another hotel with more European amenities & standards for the remainder of our stay. We left mid morning but there was no one of any standing to speak to as we left, as we didn't want to give the impression that there was anything wrong per se. But we couldn't communicate that and so departed, leaving a bemused member of staff behind.
In summary if you want it raw and traditional, then I'm sure you'll like it; but if you want something polished, then no, I'd give it a miss. And as for 4 or 5 stars, I'm sorry I couldn't conceive of any scale where more than 2 or 3 would be an honest reflection.

Room Tip: Contact the riad direct and describe which one you want from their photos
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here for 7nights. Booked superior room through hotels4u, when reading room facilities it says tv, water garden, comfortable furnishings and modern amenities it had none of the above. The room had no cupboards, no bath but instead an old shower. I fell of the chair twice, bed was as hard as rocks. Breakfast was same everyday, we had 2 ask reception to clean our room after it had not been cleaned for three days. Had to ask reception for toilet paper everytime we ran out. Hotel is in heart of jama el fna so shops and restaurants near by but locals are very rude and didn't not make us feel welcome. When we questioned hotel why they clearly state that room includes tv,all they could say was sorry. Would not recommend anyone to stay in a riad unless you know what to expect or you'll be very disapointed. Hotel only has 5rooms and is more like a 2star then a 4star.

• Stayed September 2012
kader F, Responsable relations clients at Riad des Eaux et Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear ASMELLA KOSAR & Bashir Mohamed Chazad.
Before we get started, we really appologize for the delay of our responding, even though we don't respond to all comments individually, we regularly read analyze and act on our customer feedback, what we all hope to improve the quality of our service .
My biggest gripe is that you shall call a responsable to face all those challenges, you choose keep quite.
I remember your first day, your wife criticized all because she was in bad mood because she didn't know or outward journey with Marrakech.
concerning your room you must leave your key, when you didn't call upon chambermaid the receptionniste ask you whether you want to make your room. you accept but you follow the house keeping one by one like saying "this lady is a thief and according to our law we should stone her to death" after you never leave your key . you never allowed the woman to make your room that why you require toilet paper.
for chairs no body complaints and this room is the most wished by all our guests, these parts are bought of Africa. so please i don't agree with you , the bath is traditionnal moroccan hammam style you can't understand.
Breadfast is not the same every day .
so please, we accept based arguments , no lies.
our riad is not 2 stars i can say better than five stars but its certainly more than 2 stars.
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Friendly staff and manager.
Good breakfast.
Clean room.
Two streets from main square but peace and tranquility once inside.
No hard sell of trips.
Good price.
What's not to like ?????

• Stayed June 2012
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Riad Des Eaux for 5 nights and overall we thought the place was lovely.

The hotel is located just far enough away from Jemaa El Fna square to make it quiet but just close enough to be an easy walk away (about 2 minutes). Our first impressions on arriving at around 8pm were good - we dropped our bags off and headed straight out to the square for some food. When we got back and had a chance to have a closer look at the room we did find a couple of minor issues:

We stayed in the Zen Cleopatre room and the toilet is only separated by a curtain - there was a bit of an odour but the bathroom was spotless.

The bed is VERY firm - if you like a soft mattress then you might not like it. We had a look in some of the other rooms and all the mattresses are the same....

The room was small but there was enough room for two of us.

Breakfast was great, especially considering what we were paying and consisted of fresh pancakes, bread, jam, butter, boiled eggs, yoghurt, fresh squeezed orange juice and strong coffee. We ate our breakfast at a table overlooking the courtyard. The staff were attentive and very friendly and we got the feeling that nothing would be too much trouble.

Some people have made reference to being woken up by the call to prayer in the morning - yes, you can hear it but what else to you expect??

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to one of the suites. The beds are the same but there is a little mor...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I read the reviews and I booked it on Expedia. I had them call and ensure that the hotel staff spoke English and since I was traveling solo I wanted to be able to rely on them to book shows or local tourist attractions. For the negatives, The staff couldn't have been any nicer but they do not speak English fluently. There was no way I could have them book attractions for me. I booked the smallest room which was fine but the broken toilet which leaked and was not pleasant smelling was a problem. They apparently don't take credit cards but are more than willing to take cash in any currency. The positives breakfast is included and great, the massage was wonderful, the staff were super, the room aside from the constantly leaking toilet was kept clean, the location amazing, the rate was reasonable. I think the location is worth it if you decide to upgrade your room and don't rely on the staff to provide information on local attratctions.

Room Tip: upgrade your room. do not book unless you speak french
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This has been a difficult review to write as the Riad des Eaux was a great place to stay but we had some serious customer service let downs that have deflated the rating I would otherwise have given. Let me explain.
On arrival we were picked up by car as arranged by the Riad and arrived OK. So far so good. After waiting for 20 minutes for the manager to arrive we were told we were to be taken to a bigger room. A guy arrived picked up our bag and told us to follow him. Before we knew it we were being marched through the souk and after a few minutes arrived at another Riad. I asked for an explanation as to what was happening and were told that they were full and we were to stay here instead. At first my complaints were brushed off as "not my problem, I didn't take your booking" After some heated negotiation it was agreed we would stay one night and then return to the Riad des Eaux the next day for the rest of our 5 night stay. Not the best start to our trip.

The remainder of our trip proved good. The riad is very conveniently located. It was clean, tidy and the rooms were well appointed. We enjoyed a hamam in the spa and the breakfast was good but pretty basic.

On the last day I was presented with the bill and told that the credit card machine was broken so I would have to pay by cash. In addition I queried the extra 250 DH that had been added to the total but wasn't on the bill. This was for the airport transfer. Well after a week in Marrakech I was well aware that this was at least double what I could negotiate a Taxi for probably 5 times as much as a local would pay. The staff member became quite rude and said that he has confirmed the price to me by e-mail and he would prove it. He brought up my previous e-mails but of course the price had never been mentioned. After pointing out the trouble and aggravation of having to move rooms and the credit card machine being "broken" He finally agreed to reduce the transfer fee to 150DH. The whole experience left a bitter taste and was such a shame as the place itself was nice.

My advice if staying here.
Be aware that the credit card machine will probably be "broken" so keep some cash in reserve.
Don't book an airport transfer unless you can agree a price in advance. Haggle hard for a Petit Taxi from the airport instead.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This riad is run by helpful, friendly and professional staff who made our 3-day stay very comfortable, telling us to treat is as we would our home. We had booked one of the smallest rooms but it was very nice and well-kept. Breakfast was excellent and we were able to eat on the roof terrace which is surprisingly peaceful considering the proximity to the main square bustle. The whole riad is a peaceful escape from the fast pace of the city.
The location was excellent - but warning, hard to find so arrange with the riad for a pick-up or pay a local to show you the way. However, you don't have to go through the souks to get to it like another riad we stayed in, so finding it again is very easy. It's less than 5 minutes from the main square and a few minutes in the other direction to the palaces and other attractions. We were greeted with a mint tea and left to relax whilst the room was prepared.
Would definitely stay here again on another visit to Marrakech. Did not take advantage of the spa but it looked well equipped and there were always staff around to show it to you.

Room Tip: The Zen room - small but well-kept.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad des Eaux et Spa? Share your experiences!