“The Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ecolodge Quaryati

Save Saved
You added Ecolodge Quaryati to your Saves list
Ecolodge Quaryati
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Douar Tounsi, Sidi Abdallah Ghiat | BP 548 Marrakech Principale, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
“The Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My partner and I (who are in our twenties) booked a suite for 7 nights at the Quaryati Ecolodge based on the reviews on Tripadvisor (which are pretty much all outstanding.).

Arrival: Don’t be put off by the journey from the airport to the Ecolodge. It takes about 30 minutes and the last 10 minutes of that is down off beaten roads. Book your taxi with the Ecolodge in advance as it will save you a fortune and the pre booked drivers know exactly where they are going. You’ll be greeted by the driver at the airport with a Quaryati sign.

At the hotel we were greeted by Francoise, the owner of Quaryati. She speaks fantastic English and is native in French. We were taken to the terrace and had mint tea and homemade biscuits (which were lovely!). We were then taken to our suite (109).

The Suite: If you can I really would book a suite, we had a separate lounge with a flat screen TV, dining table and chairs, two large seating areas and a small kitchen area with kettle, glasses etc. The double bedroom was big and spacious as was the separate bathroom with drench shower and lots of storage space. Outside we had a private terrace with table and chairs and also steps up to the roof of the suite where we could enjoy the evenings looking over the Ecolodge’s beautiful gardens and of course the Atlas mountains.

The Grounds: The Ecolodge has the most amazing grounds, Francoise said it took three years to plant everything and we could see why! During the day/early evening there were two donkeys roaming the grounds (mother and daughter!), sheep, peacocks with following babies and occasionally a cow! It was just fantastic and really added to the experience. The pool is big, it’s not heated but honestly it’s not necessary – within an hour or two the sun heats it up and you’ll be thankful on the really hot days! There’s plenty of sun loungers and most of them are under shade and can be moved etc The accommodation is split into two areas, rooms in one area of the Ecolodge and suites in another with the main guest area in between the two. As we were staying in August (low season) the Ecolodge wasn’t very busy (which for us was lovely) and as it’s 30 min’s out of Marrakech the silence around the grounds was perfect! There’s a free taxi shuttle every morning at 10am that takes you into Marrakech and returns at 5pm if you want to explore the souks – we did, it was fun and once was enough. When you arrive back at the Ecolodge it just makes you appreciate the spaciousness and peacefulness even more!

Food: The food was fantastic. My partner and I are not the most adventurous eaters but even for us the food was just right. Breakfast is served inside the guest building or on the terrace. It’s a buffet breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, fresh eggs, pancakes, tea, coffee etc. There’s a great selection for all. Lunch is served by the pool in the other guest area. There’s a good selection of sandwiches, kefta, salads, grills, frites. The portions are big and not expensive at all. Most dishes average around £3 - £6. Dinner is served on the lawn outside the main guest area, lit with standing lanterns – it’s just beautiful. There’s a set menu each day. You can 1, 2 or 3 courses and is priced around £13 for three courses. You won’t be disappointed, the food is fresh, organic and tastes amazing, the tagines of lamb, beef, chicken, fish are so good. Also the deserts are all homemade (the lemon meringue pie is just the best!).

The Staff: Francoise was a lovely host and she really did look after us and the other guests so well. She’s around quite a lot and always on hand if you have any questions. The maids looked after our rooms well and the waiters were polite and always willing. The waiters English isn’t the best but they really try and are currently learning English which is great. Having an Arabic/English translation book is always good to have and it’s actually quite fun trying to communicate!

Lastly: I could carry on writing and writing… All in all I would 100% recommend Quaryati Ecolodge. If you’re looking for peace and quiet, home cooked food, a lovely pool with grounds of colourful flowers, wandering animals and spacious accommodation this is the place for you! We’ve already booked for next year and we can’t wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at the Quaryati lodge for a week in July for our first wedding anniversary, and Francoise very kindly upgrading our room booking to one of the suites. The suite was spacious, clean and had it own terrace, with a living area and big bathroom/dressing room.

The photos don't really do the place justice - it has a wonderful, peaceful atmosphere and the flowers and green surroundings are just beautiful. The pool area is lovely, and one of the waiters comes round at midday to ask if you want to order any food/drinks and what time you'd like it.

We were there during Ramadan, so dinner was served later at 9pm and generally you had a choice of a couple of starters/mains/desserts. Cesar, one of the waiters, was really lovely and between his pigeon english and our pigeon french we always managed. We got into the habit of sitting on the veranda before dinner, having a glass of wine and playing a board game, and every evening we were served complimentary snacks.

We visited Marrakech for a day using the free shuttle bus (which was actually a car), we took the bikes out for a day and also one evening went to another restaurant by taxi (that Francoise arranged for us), called Bo Zin. Bo Zin was a great experience - go here if you fancy a treat (it's pretty expensive).

On arrival we were served delicious mint tea, we took advantage of the free hammam (which is worth doing!), and I also booked a massage in the spa, which is one of the best I've had and would definitely recommend this. We had a real chill out here, but also did enough to feel occupied (you can do as much or as little as you want to).

I highly recommend Quaryati and only wish we had more time there, particularly for the money it's exceptional value and would suit most types of holiday, where you can experience the hustle of the city and the calm of the country. We felt genuinely really sad to leave and hope to return one day and spend more time exploring the Atlas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

What an amazing place! The hotel and its staff are wonderful. I booked via Lastminute.com and so got an amazing deal!

Breakfast is really good and worth doing. Its buffet style with the option of cooked eggs. There is so much to choose from, you won't get bored and it will keep you going for a long time. Also the hotel is very remote so you won't be able to nip out for anything. Its about a 10 minute drive on a dirt track to the main road.

The other meal options are also great and good value, lunch is around £5-8 and a 3 course dinner £14. They serve alcohol and have a lovely Moroccan Wine, which can be addictive and so hike up your bill. You have been warned!!

The pool was wonderful, quite chilly which was perfect when the temperature hit the 40's! with the Atlas mountains in the background.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to Marrakech which is really good if you want to pop into town(leaves at 10am returns at 5pm) and you can also book a late taxi through the hotel if you want to stay in town into the evening. This I recommend as it is cooler and the main square comes alive in a way that you will either love or hate. But either way it needs to be seen!

Francoise, the lovely, warm and helpful owner is always around to help and translate if needed. Though with smiles and basic French you will be fine. She helped us hire a car and drew us a map to explore the mountains...really recommend this. It is a little hair raising and slightly confusing but the views were beautiful and really saw a different side to Morrocco.

The hotel offers ham man, massage and other treatments. I had the massage and hamman which was lovely. Though I think the women get a more gentle experience, after comparing notes with my partner, which I wasn't looking for, I wanted a full on scrub. But it was still pleasant. The massage was glorious on the other hand. I can't quite remember the prices around £35/40 for an hour so not super cheap, but really really worth it.

The grounds are beautiful with lovely rose gardens, peacocks and wild life. Though the gardens take up a lot of water, so not 100% sure of the eco nature of this, but to be fair I didn't ask and so they may have been using recycled water.

All in all I would recommend this place again and again and would love to return!

Room Tip: If you're on a budget the grounds are so lovely as is the bar restaurant that not much time was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Myself, my girlfriend and a close friend from university decided to book a last minute holiday to Morocco to experience it's culture in hopes of a greater learning and understanding for our university projects. It was very cheap for flights and accommodation as it was out of prime season. Upon arrival at Marrakech airport we got a taxi to the accommodation and we were all thrown back a little at how far the hotel was from the airport/centre of Marrakech. Our taxi driver did take us "the long way" (as he put it) as he wanted to show us off to his friends working at a market half way between the airport and the accommodation.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were truly amazed by the little money we paid for the trip as it was astonishingly beautiful but so pleasantly simple. Even out of season it is perfectly maintained and always a fire going in the fireplace to welcome you. Françoise the owner and her son (who I cannot remember the name of) were so incredibly helpful for the whole 10 days which we stayed. The rooms have air con so if you're not good with heat at night then fear not as my girlfriend and I slept very comfortably every night there. The surrounding area is very beautiful and the views you have are breathtaking. Staying here really makes you appreciate nature and appreciate the culture and its charming simplicity.

Françoise became our best friend during our stay as being students we had limited money and if I'm totally honest a little nervous about being so far from home, and her presence was so friendly and considerate we wanted her to adopt us as her own child. We were one of the only groups staying there at the time but Françoise still insisted on massive breakfast platters and large authentic dinners made every day which were both delicious and reasonably priced. Françoise was incredibly generous when it came to sorting out the bill at the end as she knew every little bit of kindness would help us. Although I'm sure this isn't something every guest will experience as, like I have previously said, we stayed in December which isn't prime season it just goes to show how much your stay means to her and the other staff members.

Communication was completely fine however other than Françoise and her son, the staff spoke little English, which was never really an issue as we knew simple French to get us by when they weren't around.

One thing I will mention is that we had a difficult day in Marrakech the morning after we arrived as we were conned out of a lot of money but this is something to expect if you try to remain quintessentially English and never say no to anyone. Once you get in the swing of things you feel a lot more comfortable walking around Marrakech and the other small surrounding towns and you can take full advantage of the hotel and rent free bicycles for the day and explore the area which was a personal highlight. Another thing which is a must is the Atlas Mountains which is simply a bus ride then taxi away. Both of which are very reasonable and everyone (by the most part) are so friendly you feel very welcome.

I think the one thing that you have to understand (without trying to state the obvious) is that it is it's own country with it's own customs which are so incredibly different to that of which I've experienced prior (UK and Europe) that I found myself a little nervous and cautious. This is by no means a bad thing but if you are unprepared for it, it can unsettle you a little which ultimately is very silly as everybody there is incredibly accommodating and trying to be friendly/helpful it's just a small minority which did no seem to appreciate the vast amount of tourism happening around them. You can't help but sympathise and feel a little disheartened by the severe Westernisation of Morocco (specifically Marrakech) because it's truly such a beautiful country being wrecked by greedy tourists and global business chains taking over large plots of land. On the car journey back to the airport Françoise's son was telling us all about the community and how it's drastically changing and how in a lot of cases for those in poverty it can be very damaging to their lifestyles; so do be aware of things like this when travelling by being sympathetic to the locals and respecting their customs.

If you wish to experience Morocco as it should be then I would definitely recommend this hotel as it was one of the best stays I've had in a very long time. Although a little separated from civilisation it is so simple and so tranquil you can't help but love every minute of it. I'm sure we will return in the future and I look forward to that day. Definitely choose this hotel over the hotels in Marrakech city centre as it is so much more genuine and you feel a lot more comfortable as the staff are polite and respectful rather than incessant with offering their services. Again Françoise was fantastically helpful and I would even say stay here just so you can meet her alone. Upon our final day of staying Françoise greeted us at dinner with two tagine pots she purchased as gifts which was a very nice parting gift and just shows that the people in Morocco are seemingly infinite in their kindness, particularly those of this hotel.

To sum everything up it is a beautiful country, with beautiful people, beautiful surroundings and beautiful architecture; and the Quaryati Ecolodge is a prime example of how all these things come together. As long as you are aware and respectful of the culture you will have the holiday of a lifetime.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
conwy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from an 8 day/7 night stay with my wife and daughter. Can not fault anything about the hotel, it's ideally situated between Marrakech and the Atlas mountains offering you the city life when you want if whilst being out in the country for the peace & quiet.
I can imagine that people struggled to find it, simply ask the owner to e-mail you the directions (which are in English & French), keep them with you and show them to the taxi driver if required. With the directions it's easy to find & you can not miss it (we had our own car).
We ate at the hotel every night, usually a choice of 2 or 3 starters/mains/desserts. Costs around 15 GBP for the 3 course meal. Food was excellent, home cooked, nothing too fancy but simple tasty homecooked food (which is what we wanted at the end of the warm day).
Pool is excellent, we were lucky that we did not have too many other guests. Properties well maintained, clean and more than adequate. A/C is the main room but despite tempratures of 43 C outside / the houses were cool without the A/C. Main house for breakfast/meals is nice & relaxing with wonderful views. Excellent gardens / beautifully maintained.
Staff exceptionally friendly, although they don't speak perfect English - you can get by with a little French. Very trustworthy and will do anything for you (adjust menus, etc).
They offer a daily return trip to Marrakech / organised tours / etc. Can not recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kettering, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

An amazing stay. Françoise(the owner) was an amazing host.Ecolodge,itself, is an absolutely amazing place with peacocks, roaming free. It was just an exquisite place to be and you could completely escape from normal city life, It was a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere, I would highly recommend it to get away from normal life and a relaxing break.Do it, Go!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed for a week with my wife. We agreed we had the most relaxing holiday ever. Situated in an agricultural area and surrounded by lots of small family run farms Quaryati is off the beaten track and very quiet. Donkeys, sheep and cats roam into the gardens. A backdrop of the Atlas Mountains (recommend a trip) and rose gardens. The pool is large with plenty of sun beds. The staff are always helpful and v friendly (being Morocco, English is not their first language but we did not have any problems) All the other guests were v friendly. The food is great, not a huge menu but we enjoyed every meal and the cooking lesson was fun as the local lady chef didn't stop laughing! Breakfast was great. The owner, Francoise, made us all feel at home. The whole resort is single story with rooms as individual "villas" all built in local traditional materials and v comfortable. We took the daily free taxi to Marrakesh - one day there was enough for us but an experience (be wary of local lads who ask to show you around - you can v easily get ripped off - be prepared). We walked and cycled round the local farm tracks and lanes (great bird life - Stocks, Shrikes, Warblers, Bulbul etc) and to the local village Souk (recommend it) - we felt safe and always welcome - everyone says "bonjour"
We have no hesitation in recommending Quaryati Ecolodge

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ecolodge Quaryati? Share your experiences!