“Wonderful "home base" in the medina” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, PA
“Wonderful "home base" in the medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

As tripadvisor reviews are such a matter of expectations, here is what we were hoping for in choosing Aguaviva: a relaxing, calm riad away from the noise and bustle of the square/souks, but still within a nice walking distance, tasty breakfasts and occasional dinners in, and with helpful staff who could advise us on the best routes to see the sights and shops. We got all of that and more.

First, we cannot recommend the staff highly enough.
- Sightseeing advice. Even our USA jet-lagged brains could remember the excellent directions to and from the square, as well as the nearest road/taxi stand, thanks to the walking tour upon arrival.
- Food. Breakfasts were filling and tasty, and we arranged for our first dinner in Marrakesh to be on the rooftop. One of our best dinners of the trip! We were also happy with the restaurants recommended, and stuffed ourselves with tagines and pastillas around the medina.
- General helpfulness - some nights, after having a large and yummy lunch out, we only wanted some of the delicious Moroccan bread, wine (yes, there is Moroccan wine and it is surprisingly good/refreshing for a couple entirely unfamiliar with it!) and cheese/spreads for dinner. We were quickly and graciously provided with everything on the rooftop for a cozy night in. We also had some laundry done on our last day since we were heading for another destination, which came back cleaner than our laundry room at home does! And for our early-morning airport run, a tasty "to-go" breakfast was packed and ready for us.
- We did an overnight in Essaouira (the Supratours bus worked well for this), and the riad kindly kept our room and extra bags for us so we did not have to lug everything around for one night. If we had more time in Morocco, it would have been great to stay on the coast for longer -- the wind, sun and more relaxed haggling were a fun break from the more-intense souk experience.

Second, the riad and our room were lovely - we chose Baraka and it was a nice size for two, although the addition of a low table (for resting luggage on and storing shoes under) would be helpful to keep things organized. Bed was very comfortable and we appreciated having lots of hooks for pajamas, clothes that had been worn only briefly, etc. Even without closing the shutters to the window at night, we were never disturbed by noise (this room is on the 2nd floor).

Third, the location was perfect. Our little street felt like a quiet neighborhood, and we enjoyed saying hello to some of our favorite "local" merchants (the teenager selling nuts a few doors down from the pharmacy got to know us and our almond addiction by the end!)

Fourth - this isn't the riad, but their recommended hammam (Bain Bleu) was a fabulous experience and now I'm craving one in the States! You could go to a local hammam for less, but we wanted to do a couples session so that would not work for obvious reasons. Felt a decade younger walking out!

Many thanks to David, Manel, Sara, Aina, Oti, Simo, Ibtissam & Sukaina (thanks to the email for all of the spelling :) ) for a wonderful trip. In Sha Allah it will be our first and not last!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
wokingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I could not recommend this place more. It was situated in a really non-touristy part of the medina so you get a real feeling of the city. It is decorated with beautiful attention to detail, the staff couldn't have been friendlier with excellent restaurant recommendations. Great breakfasts too. If we were to go back to Marrackech, I would definitely go back there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I think Riad Aguaviva might just be THE best place to stay in Marrakech. I'm still shaking my head and finding it hard to believe that even with all the excellent ratings and comments on tripadvisor, the people who look after you here and the riad itself still far exceeded expectations. Many reviewers have mentioned the riad is like an oasis, sited just far enough from the centre of the medina to feel part of a local neighbourhood when wandering out and about, the beautiful interior design (all too true) but it really is the people who are the heart of this riad - and words are really not enough to express their warmth, kindness, enthusiasm, knowledge and care for each and every guest. Thank you thank you thank you David, Manel, Sara, Sidi and everyone who helps make Riad Aguaviva the magical place it is.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lovely sultan room. All rooms face the central courtyard so you can sometimes hear...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Girona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Aguaviva Riad is excellent, it's a very nice, confortable and ellegant Riad. The service is really good, the staff there is helpfull and friendly.
After to walk around the streets of the medina is a pleasure to arrive in the riad. It's like a oasis of peace and comfort.
Manel give us a trip in the labyrint Medina and he suggest alternative routes unknown for most tourists . I aprecitaed that because we know Marrakech from inside and alternative routes unknown for most tourists.
Our experience there will be unforgettable, Manel book for us inice and sophisticated restaurants in the Medina and also the popular and cheap restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked Riad Aguaviva because of the good reviews I'd read on TripAdvisor. I'm very pleased to say that David, Manel and the rest of the team are highly deserving of the praise! They made us feel extremely welcome, and were very helpful when my boyfriend and I realised we had made a mistake with our booking. The Riad itself is beautifully presented, and was a lovely place to relax in after the hustle and bustle of the Medina.

The advice we received about where to go was invaluable, but at the same time, my boyfriend and I do like to explore ourselves. At first we felt a little pressure to go where David had suggested, but after the first day we appreciated that he just wanted to help us get the most of our visit and that we could take his suggestions or leave them as we liked.

I'd definitely stay here again - it was great value for money, comfortable, clean, and the team were so friendly and helpful. I think it's the first holiday where I've had a hug and kiss from the hotel owners at the end! The Riad is quite a long walk from the centre of the action, but I really liked this - it was a quiet neighbourhood and it meant we saw a bit more of daily life in Marrakech, rather than just the tourist areas. The only thing I would say is that their website is a little difficult to navigate. I had to translate it into English from Spanish, and I think this is why we made a mistake with our booking.

All that's left is to say is....thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I've been to lots of places.and this is absolutely the best serviced hotel ever stayed in. People there are just so considerate and helpful!! They will tell you everything about where to visit, good restaurants and clubs, etc. And i have to say its owner David has a good taste on things and his recommendations never disappointed us. Another example is We bought a watermelon and the second day it was served nicely on skewers! Never had such good services even in 5 star hotels.

Anyway, I highly recommend this Riad especially for the first time visitors because Marrakesh is not an easy city and you'll have to need information from them.

• Stayed May 2013
Earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

When you reach Marrakech old city, and start walking down its narrow twisted streets, you never imagine that an oasis can be hidden behind the walls. This is what you find out when the door of Riad Aguaviva opens. It is a cozy, ellegantly yet simply furnished Riad.
The staff are welcoming, pleasant, attentive to details and warm. The Riad was clean and neat. The rooms are of good space; very clean. I loved our bathroom. So much attention was placed in details and that works for me.
Breakfast was enough and tasty, the Riad made jams, esp carrot jam, are delicious! I even got a gift from the chef (carrot jam) when we were leaving the Riad.
The thing that amazed us the most, was seeing the staff explaining Merrakech's old streets and the sites to see with such detaild and light nature. They must have covered that a 100 times at least, got asked the same questions, yet are dedicated towards showing their guests the best of what to do/ and see.
My only comment was that the room had one window which opened at the inner veranda, we had our privacy but had to make a choice about opening the window for natural air circulation or just using the AC. We did both at various times.
I would recommend this place and if ever I go back to Merrakech, would stay at this Riad.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, clean and have AC.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Aguaviva? Share your experiences!