“Peaceful Haven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Rocmarra

You added Dar Rocmarra to your Saves list
Dar Rocmarra
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb el Halfaoui, 29, Bab Doukkala | Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #22 of 463 Hotels in Marrakech
cairns
“Peaceful Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Dar Rocmarra in Feb 2012 (sorry this took me awhile). I can highly recommend this Riad. We were thrilled to find when we entered a exquisite mix of old and new. The rooms are lovely and the whole ambience of the courtyard area was intimate and stylish. The staff are fabulous and went out of their way to help us. We were in Morocco for the whole month and stayed on two different occasions. I want to add that Jamilla is a fabulous cook, as we were working a lot at night we were often exhausted so we ate at the road and relaxed by the fire. You can tell the owners are creative as there are special little details everywhere. I will be back and thank you

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

After an unfortunate stay at another nearby Riad (ahem ahem, Villa Mouassine - you know who you are), we thankfully stumbled across this place. Had an amazing stay - really well built, clean, and well maintained Riad. Has a very luxurious and romantic feel to it. Staff were very welcoming and helpful - having mint tea served in the evenings when we got back from a busy day out and about was the perfect end to the day. I'd highly recommend this place to honeymooners. It's also great value for money - but on the topic of money, I had two quibbles with the place, almost enough to make me give it a 4 star rating, but not quite, because the stay was just that good.

Firstly, when we first went to check out the place in person (2 days before we actually moved in), we were quoted something like 80 Pounds Sterling per room per night in person, even though I showed Jameela (staff person in charge) the online quote of 70-odd Euro on my phone, but she point blank refused to acknowledge it. She then went on the phone to who I guess was the owner of the place and what I think happened was the owner probably agreed to the lower price, but she said "I'm not happy with that", after which she must have got her way with him/her and then told us that 80 Pounds was the price. I tried to politely explain to her that we could just go online, book it, and then she would have to honour the price, but she just repeated herself "80 pounds is the price". So I went ahead and booked it online for the 70-odd Euro price, and we turned up 2 days later, and she didn't say a word. The whole argument had been pointless and would've been completely avoided if she wasn't so stubborn (but she was lovely after that).

The second money issue was something I've never come across in all my travels - a whopper of a 5% credit card charge on top of the final bill, which we weren't informed about on arrival and which wasn't mentioned on the online booking page (via booking.com). I told Jameela it was ludicrous (in nice terms), but she insisted that this was the standard thing in Marrakech - which was funny because the place we had originally moved from in the Medina hadn't charged extra. I do appreciate that hotels have to pay around a 2-3% charge to credit card companies, but the vast vast majority absorb that into their asking price, and certainly don't try to make a profit on it. So I was looking at a 5% charge on top of the 3% charge my own bank was going to charge for an International payment. In the end, out of principle I headed out in the searing heat to find an ATM machine and withdraw the money in cash to hand to her.

So, all in all, a bitter start, a bitter end, but amazing in between.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
robbday1, Owner at Dar Rocmarra, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Hi Shazad,from the review it seems that you arrived at Dar Rocmarra from the same place and time as the couple that wrote the review that follows this ?
As we only have one room at the price quoted on booking.com they would have taken this,thereby the rooms remaining would have been at a higher price.
Card charges,in future we will only pass on the actual charges that are made to us by the card company.
yes,some riads do build these charges into their costs,but we still think Dar Rocmarra is excellent value for money.
We are glad that all things considered you still gave us a lovely review,next time the mint teas are on us!
Ratoath, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We moved to this riad from a riad that we had booked before travelling to Marrakech but were unhappy with on arrival. We searched for another riad on the internet which was in our price range and available and not far from where we already were. Dar rocmarra happened to fit all three and so we went to make a booking. The riad looked amazing and just what we were hoping for. We were quoted different prices in person to what was online which was strange and were told that those prices weren't right. We went away anyway to think about where to stay and other options once back at the other riad. We eneded up booking Dar Rocmarra, Bijou room online for the price shown online which was perfect. We returned the next day to a lovely welcome, introduction and room.

The room and whole riad were immacualte. A complete sanctuary in Marrakech. The rose petals in the room were a perfect touch and we had the riad pretty much to ourselves (think only first two nights there was one other couple, after that, the riad was all ours!). The finishing touches and attention to detail of the accomodation was brilliant, authentic yet modren feel.

The evening ambience was amazing.. the background music, water feature, seating area, lighting, all perfect to come back to every night after the hussle bussle of the streets. We looked forward to it every night especially with the nightguard making is mint tea upon request before heading off to bed. We would definately love to be back at this riad at some point.. there was nothing to fault.

Our clothes were even ironed for us in no time at all for a very nominal charge, was another plus!

Wish we had booked this riad in the first place but with so so many similar looking riads online to choose from it can be hard to know which to go for.. if you're having a problem choosing, stop looking further and book this one! Location was perfect too.. oh and no nasty smells from the drains as they had the ones that close when not in use (another bonus when choosing a riad as all riads will have a drain issue in the heritage area).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Dar Rocmarra was recommended to us through the company we did out desert trip with, and we felt really lucky to have found it. We even got a discount because we had already booked with Desert Majesty!

After a dusty, hectic and slightly deflating time getting through Marrakech and getting fleeced by cab drivers, Jamila came and met us from our taxi, led us down the pretty back streets and into the little bit of peaceful heaven that is Dar Rocmarra. There was mint tea and little cakes to welcome us and Jamila sat us down at the main table to talk us through what we'd need to know about Marrakech and give us a map. She's amazing - so friendly, so helpful and always dressed in the most beautiful clothes! The dar is small, only a handful of rooms around a main courtyard with a dipping pool and a big tree reaching up to the blue sky above. It's all clean and bright and elegant and simple and beautiful.

There's a gorgeous roof terrace too. When we came back in the evenings, we'd take our bottle of water in it's decorative silver holder and pretty glasses up to the roof for a Moroccan-style nightcap (we didn't drink while we were there, it's really easy not to because no one else is and it felt like a good opportunity to be a bit healthy!). Jaleel came running up after us to bring a candle and turn the lights on on the stairs. They're just always concerned about making sure you're having a lovely time. It's a perfect place to watch sunrise, set, listen to the muezzin call, sunbathe or watch stars.

Once you know where the dar is, it's really easy to find again. Like most dars, it's about three back streets (walking only) away from a place where a taxi can drop you. A one minute walk along cobbles. Then it's about a 10 minute walk South through the souk to Jmaa El Fna, past Cafe Arabe - which is where most travellers go if they want a beer. It's a great location and feels safe, even at night time. It's also near the Henna Cafe, which we didn't go to, but has lots of great reviews.

ROOM
Our room, the Berber Room, was utterly charming - so much better than the pictures: more comfortable, beautifully decorated and homely - and less sparse than the pics look on the site. It leads straight off the main courtyard so you can hear the gentle plink-plinking of the fountain. It's just dreamy. But it's still very private, there was no noise from other rooms. The bed and the bathroom were decorated with strewn rose petals when we arrived. The bathroom was heavenly - spotlessly clean and neat, with shower gel and shampoo in little silver capped tubes, big fluffy white bath robes, towels and slippers. Shower is pretty good (I thought a little lacking in pressure... then I tried other ones in Morocco and realised it was good!). The bathroom/ loo is separated from the main room only by a curtain over the doorway (so if one of you gets Morocco belly, the other might like to conveniently go and read a book on the terrace occasionally) - still, that's more much privacy than some dar rooms afford!

MEALS
Breakfast was just fabulous! We had it up on the roof terrace which is a total joy to come up to with flowers and plants and sun beds and breakfast tables. Like being in a five star hotel! We had slices of bread, butter, jam, Moroccan pancakes with honey, omlette with tomato, coffee, mint tea. Properly sets you up for the day. Breakfast is between 8 and 10 but on two out of the three mornings of our stay we were being picked up for trips at 8 so they served us at 7:30 - they really can't do enough to help you.

As for dinner, I wish we'd known at the time but our meal we had at the dar was to be far and away the best meal we had during our time in Morocco. We had lamb tagine with prunes and it was incomparable. Sweet, dark, sticky with soft lamb just melting of the bone. It's quite an expensive meal compared to what you can get in Jmaa El Fnaa square or the restaurants in town but I'd say suck it up, it's so memorable. We ate, just the two of us as the big main table in the courtyard, next to the fountain and had Moroccan salad, the tagine, then divine chocolate mousse. All so delicious it's making me hungry typing about it. Jamila - you are a first rate chef.

TOP TIP 1
Jamila will offer you a pick up from the station/airport when you arrive. TAKE IT. It's a good price, unless you're an experienced haggler, probably a better one than you will manage to achieve yourself. I'd say this applies to almost all Medina riads and dars in fact because they are hard to find and maps are useless on the back streets. We haggled at the airport and got a fair price because the tourist police were looking THEN the taxi driver drove two streets away from the airport, got out of the cab and sent over a big scary man who said 'he will not take to you to your riad for this price, it is too low and the riad is not in the Medina.' [It is]. In the end, because I refused to budge on price the taxi dropped us in the main square instead and we couldn't find the way on our own. We had to get another taxi. When we arrived, we found that I had actually requested the airport pick up anyway but had forgotten. EPIC fail. They must have thought I was a total eejit, but if they did, they didn't show it. They didn't even charge me for it though. The customer service was just amazing at this place.

TOP TIP 2
If you're returning to the riad at night through the souk, a lot of the streets get closed off with big doors, so it's REALLY easy to get lost because your normal route gets closed. Also, people would tell us streets were closed even if they weren't and then kept trying to stop us going down the street. As soon as they know you're not on your normal route home, they badger and badger for you to let them show you the way (for money). After dark, it's much better to take the route around the wall (they show you this way when you arrive at the Dar) because you can't get lost that way. Or get a cab for about 40dirams. If you do risk the souk, ask directions from shop keepers - in the centre of the souk they are really nice and helpful. Further out (once we were lost and trying to get away from some people who were hassling us) they got less nice. One said 'Yeah, people aren't so helpful to foreigners out here, are they?' and then just turned away. It was a bit scary, even though we're pretty savvy travellers and were always polite, respectful and appropriately dressed.

OVERALL
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Dar Rocmarra to anyone going to Marrakech - in fact I'd really badger at my friends to stay here. It's funny with dars and riads because there's so many, and so many of a really amazing standard. That first moment you walk in and get to explore your historic little inn is one of the best things about travelling in Morocco, so if I went to Marra again, I'd be tempted to try somewhere else and get that first 'ooh, amazing!' experience again. BUT the thing that would probably swing it would be that roof terrace and the dinner. I want that lamb tagine again!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
robbday1, Owner at Dar Rocmarra, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you, and to all the clients that have stayed with us and given such lovely,informative and honest reviews, it really is appreciated by everyone at Dar Rocmarra.
See you again soon we hope !
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

To anyone thinking of travelling to Marrakech, look no further than staying at the Dar Rocmarra. From the location to the facilities, this hotel has everything you could need. I very rarely write reviews for hotels but I wanted to tell others just how fantastic this place is! The riad is a completely different world, very tranquil and beautiful, walking through the ornate hotel door
I honestly felt as if I had walked into Narnia!
The hotel itself is tucked neatly away from the hustle and bustle of the centre (yet just a short walk from the Royal palace, souks and main square) . We arrived late evening and from the moment we entered the hotel to the moment we left we both felt welcomed, looked after and thoroughly spoilt to be perfectly honest.
The hotel itself is stunning with the most amazing courtyard featuring a dipping pool and the roof top terrace with its comfy seats for drinks on an evening or the sunbeds for soaking up the rays in the day time is an added extra.
Our room was located just off the courtyard and was a great size, with a lovely bathroom and lovely little extras such as bathrobes and slippers.
The staff Jamila and Jaleel were on hand to help with anything we needed, provide us with directions and supply us with plenty of almond pastries and sweet green tea...both of which are delicious. We had dinner on the first night which was wonderful: morrocan salad, lamb tagine and crème caramel all of which was excellent.
During the trip to Marrakech we also stayed in the sister villa at Sejour Maroc, Villa Akhdar, which was another fantastic experience. The villa is about a 20 minute drive from the Riad and it is spectacular.
Both my friend and I stayed in the rooms just of the garden so we awoke to the most fabulous view of the private pool and garden.
My room had a four poster bed and a en-suite toilet with a huge bathroom and was very private and plush. Each of the rooms were decorated to the highest spec and were immaculately clean. There is so much space within the villa that it could easily fit 8 people and so my friend and I felt exceptionally spoilt to have the entire place to ourselves. Not only does the villa come with staff (the lovely Fathi, who looked after us) but there is also another communal pool which is also huge and only two minutes walk away from the villa next to the spa and tennis court!
During the one night stay at the villa we had a hamam at the spa which is a traditional Moroccan treatment and should be experienced by everyone visiting! My skin felt amazing following the hamam and I was truly relaxed.
If you are visiting Marrakech may I recommend both the hotel and the villa, each unique but both pure luxury. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting such an amazing city but I think the experience of staying in not one but two fantastic accommodations was the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Berber room just off the courtyard which was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Southeastern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We just returned this week from Morocco. First we loved the welcoming and caring attitude of the people there, but then we went to our Riad in Marrakesh and we realized that we had arrived a rare spot in the world. It was home away from home and was way beyond our expectation. We actually stayed at Dar Rocmarra prior to our desert tour and on the way back. The rooms were nicely furnished, but they were also clean to the point of being spotless. The staff, both the day staff and the night, were fantastic. One night we just sat on one of the comfortable chairs in the common area, ate a snack and drank coffee and played on the net. We were enjoying it so much that we didn't feel the need to go anywhere. We really loved it and Jamila, Letifer and Jalil were a big part of that. The Ruggieros

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms as we went there before and after our our desert tour. Both were d...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Dar Rocmarra sets the bar for Dars in Marrakech. Inside the Medina, a short walk to everywhere yet the privacy and ambiance of this place is beyond what we had imagined! The staff: Jamila, Latifah & Jaleel were outstanding! We were celebrating a friends birthday and Jamila prepared a meal that tasted, looked, and served like at any fine restaurants in the USA & baked a birthday cake with dedication and candles to boot! The ambiance created for this special night was dreamy and all of our questions and requests were addressed & granted. Made us all feel like royalty, yet very homey. comfortable, lovely, & simply delightful. An experience that will not be forgotten! Thank you Jamila, Latifah & Jaleel for your hospitality! Our ride to/from train station was 1st class all the way! Very, very impressive!

Room Tip: We stayed at the the Douria Suite...breakfast was included.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Rocmarra? Share your experiences!