“Hotel with lots of potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa

You added Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Spa   |   Avenue du 7ieme Art | Zone Touristique Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #297 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Monte Di Procida, Italy
“Hotel with lots of potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed at the Palm Plaza because they offered a great deal on the internet. It was a SPA 5 day special, but the use of the spa was only the Hamman (which didn't include massage) and the hot pool (an indoor pool) They are obviously a new hotel (5 stars apparently) and are still settling in. Not all of the restaurants were open and the staff seemed confused at times. The facilities are beautiful, the fitness center, spa and swimming pool were very well kept and modern. The room was kept clean and the breakfast was great. We never tried the other restaurants. It is a few kilometres from the Medina but has a shuttle. It is situated beside a North American type shopping mall and cinema with French movies. This was a needed change from the chaotic but charming Medina. It has potential - it is located in a still developing area. We also had a very large terrace with furniture overlooking the pool.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify that a double room means one bed otherwise you get two separate beds.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sandefjord, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is not a 5* hotel dispite having both a beautiful swimming pool and a decent SPA (we did not have time to use any of these facilities). The hotel was rather busy with many groups for the weekend, normally these days hotels in Marrakech are not full. The food is not something to rave about, the breakfast buffet rather spartan and not very varied.Too many sweet things and not enough savories.
Like in many hotels in Morocco they now provide free wifi. But it is notoriously slow and not very powerful. The location of the hotel is about five km south of the train station and you will have to organise transport if you don't have your own car. They do have a shuttle service to the centre but we did not use that. Adequate parking space if you bring your own car.
The room layout was fine with a small balcony overlooking the pool area. You should actually make sure you have a room facing the pool.
The official prices are fantasy prices and you need to do the booking through a booking service. A decent room can be had for about £70, breakfast included and at that price you get fair value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
cyndie m, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Client,

Your point of you is very important to us.

So we are happy to reply on your concerns.

We are apologized the restaurant wasn’t a very good experience for you and we forwarded the information to our f&b manager.

Eventhough our hotel is 10 minutes away from the city it is for that reaon people stay with us, It’s calm and we have a free shuttle service on request.

About official rates, they are mandatory Rack Rates displayed at the reception like in all hotels. You can do your booking directly at the reservation or through a booking service, prices move upon avaibilities.

However I thank you for your comments and be assured that all your comments are important to us in order to be much more in line with our Clients expectations and needs.

Best personal regards

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

A good hotel, but more than half empty. Our room overlooked a building site, but there was no activity so no noise. A splendid swimming pool. If possible book a room overlooking the pool. The restaurant was a good standard for Morocco, but not haute cuisine. Although modern, the hotel lacked character because it was so empty. Must have been losing money. Some way out of town so transport necessary, but probably quieter because of location. Wi fi signal poor or non existent in bedrooms

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the pool.
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments regarding your stay at Palm Plaza Hotel.

Your comments will help us to improve our quality of service and please be ensured that appropriate actions will take place to improve our service quality through training and communication.

The Agdal Area is new area, undergoing development with new facilities (shopping mall, night clubs,...)

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel in order to show all our improvements.

With best regards

Guest Relations
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Excellent hotel and staff.
Just returned from a 2 night break booked through Easyjet. We were concerned re: some of the comments made. We had no problems. The hotel is very clean, the pool amaxing and the staff only to willing to help, vey proffesional and polite. We took advantage of the free shuttle service into town which was great and we also booked the hotel transfers to and from the airport, reasonably priced at under £10. You can probably get a taxi cheaper but having been to Marrakech before and been overcharged it is not worth the hassle. The area is undergoing development but once inside the hotel it is lovely and quiet and peaceful.There is a shopping mall just 5 mins walk which is excellent for people who do not like to barter or the constant hassle in the main square. Hope to return would reccommed

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear client,

I’d like to thank you for posting your comment on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.

All your notes will be an added value to improve our services in order to satisfy all your expectations and let them come true during your next trip to Hotel Palm Plaza.

Best Regards from sunny Marrakech!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Let me say that my husband and i believe this hotel to be excellent value for what we paid about £50 a night, the bedroom was brilliant, the bathroom facilities also excellent, the cleanliness of the room was extremely high, the pool area was lovely too.
The staff were polite and tried hard to smile and be pleasant but they are not fluent in English only French. The worst experience was the food, the breakfast was the best meal as there was an omlette station, fresh pastries (no change over 4 days though always the same) eggs, sausages and cereals, the coffee machine was excellent but although hot water was available there is no teabags of any kind! the shock to me though is that the staff are also eating out of the same display? they fetch drinks and pastries to take to the kitchen - this is unacceptable, not only waiters but the restaurant manager too! very unprofessional and not 5* activity and if there is a problem with the soup or coffee they sample it?!?! I have never seen this before
We used the lunch menu at the pool and it was adequate but not for a long stay - no variety apart from the whim of the chef to make it up as they go along I had Cesar salad three times and each was different and could not be called a Cesar salad as it was not the right ingredients.
For dinner we twice used the only restaurant open, they talk of 5 ? but only the regular restaurant where you eat breakfast is open and is set out the same for the evening dinner, it is was pretty dire, the first night we got by just finding bits to eat and only went the second night as we did not wish to travel to town, at £20 a head it is very overpriced, I could hardly find anything to eat from the starters as they are all vegetable based such as cauliflower with pickle or beetroot with cabbage or peas carrots and sweetcorn, they supplied marie sauce but there was no salmon or prawns or any kind of meat/fish other than slices of processed meat - really poor, the main dishes were bow pasta with a tomato sauce, buttered chicken, small potatoes, a carrot medley, a local dish with bones in and a type of beef dish comprising of a tomato sauce with silver skin picked onions in!! not shallots but jar onions, when this ran out they replaced the beef with breakfast sausages!! We complained to the manager that it was poor but he thought his selection was wonderful, I had to stop him and point out we have travelled internationally and it was not to any standard of 5* I knew - I did not want to offend him further but it may have been special by Morrocan standards but not by Western, it was unacceptable and we requested that we pay only for one meal, which we did, my husband was not bothered for dessert as they were the same as the night before, creme caramel (made with too much egg) and small pastries/cakes, no cream or ice cream.
The staff do not seeem to know to take plates away from tables, they leave them piled even when you move them to another table, one morning I actually cleared the table myself and they did not understand what I was doing, tables remained full of dirty crockery for up to 15 minutes I observed whilst the staff laughed and joked with each other, the staff get on too well and have too much to say to each other when they should be working, guests needs are pretty much ignored as they do not look around, they are not attentive enough or with details such as salt and pepper on each table or remove extra cutlery sets from the table when people sit down, they are clueless to this?!?
On the hotel reception were two really lovely guys, one with a great sense of humour which I liked, he really tried and I hope he goes far (as was common, most of them had no badges for me to fully praise him by name) the customer relations woman was never there and I was so shocked to see her on my last night after dinner at her desk but sadly I had no time to start a conversation that time of night.
To sum up if they could train their staff better and pay for proper chefs and proper quality ingredients it would be an amazing hotel, but then maybe it would not be the price I paid!! but if it is supposed to be £300 a night it would not be worth it at half the price, they must improve to get repeat custom as sadly we will not return.
One last note I had been in dialogue with Zineb at the hotel and alluded to it being a celebratory birthday and to try for a pool view room, when I got there, the reception staff had no idea and I was given a room on the road...not too bad but left me feeling pretty unspecial especially when I found out most them were given to French students visiting whilst on a Rally... wasn't a warm start to my stay and it would not have taken much to arrange to be make me feel really happy.

Room Tip: The pool rooms are nice but there is great road ones too and not much noise, nothing that disturbed...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

a wonderful hotel located just outside the main city centre, lots of space, huge pool and bathing area, lovely rooms, huge spa and fitness area.

the breakfasts every morning are filling, and the bar / lounge area is a great place to chill and pre dinner drinks.

the reception staff are exceptionally helpful, especially, Iman, Ilham, Zak, alongside the shuttle taxi driver Yousuf. all staff members take care of individual needs. they all smile, assist with out any objection. they really do bend over backwards to make it the best stay.

as the hotel is only 10 minutes from main town, there is an hourly shuttle from hotel to main square for free to take and pickup.

all hotel facilities including the spa were fantastic. the massages are really worth it, and within Palm Spa there are many relaxation areas, split between 3 floors.

i cannot praise this hotel enough, i strongly recommend it, and would most certainly go back

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

We enjoy to read you had a great time at the Palm Plaza Hotel & Spa. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards.

Guest Relations
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I regret to inform you that my experience at the hotel was not pleasant at all. I had quite a few disappointing experiences, mainly due to the staff very unprofessional and unfriendly.
First of all the housekeeping had the bad habit to move all around the personal items in the room, having saw this for 2 days in the row, I decided to leave the “do not disturb” sign in order to not having my personal belongings touched and moved (ex. I bought some honey in a near supermarket and left on the desk, she decided to put into the fridge!!!).
I had a massage at the Spa, it supposed to last 30 minutes, but after 20 minutes I was already in the changing room……
One night I was dining in the restaurant and as none of the waiters were coming for the drinks, I went to order it to the restaurant manager was standing in the restaurant. He asked to change table as the one I was sitting was reserved for a group. On the table there was no reserved sign and before sitting we asked to a waiter if we could sit anywhere and he said yes. Above all, I was in the middle of the dinner, how can you ask a customer to move while they are dining. How rude!
The day before the departure I had to make a phone call to reconfirm my transfer, called the receptionist from the room she said I had to go to the reception to make the phone call, never happen before that you cannot use a phone from a room. Once at the desk, while she was dialling the number requested she interrupted to speak with one of her colleagues and answer few others phone calls.
The check out: the worst check out I have ever experienced in my whole life: I worked in a 3* and 5* hotels in London and I am currently a sales agent for luxury travel. I personally travel at least 4 times a year and I have never ever had such a nightmare of check out.
I booked through an agency, half board pre paid. Now, all people working in a reception in a hotel should know that half board includes breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
But at check out they tried to charge us for the breakfast because according the receptionist the breakfast was not included as it was not written in the voucher for half board given to them from the agency. They keep saying “wait 2 minutes”….. (none of them speak fluent English, another aspect inacceptable if you book a 5* hotel).
I asked to speak with a manager and a lady introducing her self as a guest relations was reading the voucher and she couldn’t find the specification of the breakfast. I had to explain her what Half Board means???!!!! Pretty piety for a staff working in a 5* Hotel. Very poor service, unprofessional and unfriendly. After the argument no a single apologies was presented, they just said “it’s ok”. Was this due to a lack of English, a lack of polite manner or a lack of customer service ? Well, it is not what you expect from booking in a 5* Hotel.
For sure to none of my family, friends and clients I will recommend this hotel, such a shame! What a bad advertising for your property! To improve I really recommend you to train your staff properly about the job they are doing and a bit of knowledge of English would not be a bad idea.
I have read many bad reviews about the staff and unfortunately I had to agree that due to this you are risking to loose a lots of business due to the bad service and lack of customer serviced offered by reception.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
cyndie m, Responsable commercial at Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Madam,

We sincerely regret that you haven’t enjoyed your stay at the Palm Plaza.

Unfortunately, the hotel was known at that time a strike beyond our control that gave a bad impression both at the reception service.

We want to give you more details when upon check out.

After verification, the invoice has been established since arriving on half board basis. A small snag left appear a mention 'Bed & Breakfast' in our system, which left a doubt the receptionist, why he kept checked your voucher.

We wish to clarify the misunderstanding took place at the dinner, not breakfast is always included him with the room.

We apologize for this misunderstanding.

We remain at your disposal to study how we can overcome these incidents.

Sincerely.

Cyndie Marchand

Been to Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!