“RIAD WITH A DIFFERENCE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #469 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“RIAD WITH A DIFFERENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Every time I visit Marrakech I stay in Salsabil. It is so homely & welcoming & comfortable, I think of it as my home in Marrakech. The rooms are all large & although not luxurious (for luxury, you pay luxury prices), it has everything you need with ensuite bathroom , hairdryer, TV. air-conditioning. The location couldn't be better, with Jemma el Fna just minutes away.
But more then anything else it is the people who make this riad so great...from the lovely clients who like myself visit regularly, to the wonderful staff. Two receptionists..Mohammed & Doukiflar take care of the day to day running, whilst Lamia & Hanan work so hard to keep it so clean. Mokhtar (or Moki as I call him) the owner is a pleasure to talk to & one of the most pleasant people I know. If there is any problem at all Mokhtar will do his utmost to help. There is a 5 star hotel next door, but for charm, warmth & welcome it is not a patch on Salsabil which has all these things & more.
If you're looking for a moderately priced place to chill with all you could wish for close at hand, I totally recommend a stay at Salsabil.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

me and my family, along with my sisters family stayed here. it was v.pleasant and calm and the kids enjoyed it very much apart from being bit from mosquitoes at night. my room was nice, clean, bright and spacious although the room my sister was transferred to later was quite gloomy but the hotel manager, mukhtar, did his best to make up for the transfer by offering an extra small room free of charge so it was all good! the hotel runs very well when the main manager is around and also another staff but there is another staff who is quite lazy and you feel like there is no point asking him for anything. cleaning staff were nice and cheerful but you have to keep reminding them to change the bedding which was annoying. bed was comfortable but the bedding was not, as its quite stiff. the bathroom was always cleaned nicely and were ok. terrace area was nice. if you could then staying on the 2nd floor would be best as its so bright and sunny and also the kitchen is on the same floor as well as the outdoor eating area. we stayed on the 1st floor which was ok considering we had kids with us. also, hearing the azaan (muslim call to prayer) was almost impossible to hear on the 1st floor which for me, as a muslim, was an issue so you may want to take an azaan clock with you. phone signals and the wifi signal is very weak, you have to get out of the room to use it which I didn't mind to be honest as it gave me a break from technology which I didn't realise I needed. the other guests at the hotel were pleasant, and stay out most of the day so we had no issues with noise...I think we probably were the ones making the noise as we were the only ones with kids lol. the location is fantastic and you also get a sense of safety as there are always security guards around the building from the five star hotel nextdoor. it takes less than 2mins to get to the square. there are shops just outside and also on the way to the square there are a few patisserie places you can go to get breakfast....try the omelette inside the traditional bread you can tell them to make in the patisserie places! I really enjoyed my stay and so did my husband and the rest of the family, the manager is really considerate and tries really hard to ensure your stay is a happy one, the hotel was simple, traditional and you definitely get the Moroccan feel here so its definitely a hotel I would consider staying at again!

Room Tip: 2nd floor is less gloomy but would be difficult to climb all those stairs with kids
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am 2 weeks back from my 5th stay in this the most beautiful of riads. Not just the building is beautiful, but the people who run it & give everyone such a welcoming home at Salsabil. There were some improvements taking place during my stay,ie. gorgeous new stairs, great palm tree's being planted. The workman were so polite & didn't disturb the guests at all. There is a breakfast (for a small fee), but as there is a well equipped kitchen I always preferred to make my own, fruit, coffee, the lovely local bread etc or else I would visit a cafe a few metres away for great omelettes. Mokhtar the owner, the 2 boys Mohammed & doulkiflar (available 24/7) do everything possible to ensure you are happy & welcomed no matter what your wish they will try to help you. They are all so knowledgeable of Morocco, so are able to tell you places of interest, where to find the best buys etc. I am already planning another stay at Salsabil as I think of it as home & wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms are lightest & airiest, but all are beautiful & spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The builders started working every day at 8 in the riad and were extremely noisy! There are no breakfast facilitys at the hotel and the staff didnt know where to send us for breakfast. We had to ask for towels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This Riad is central, just a few minutes from the Djemma de Fna, also within walking distance to the New City and the palaces. Friendly staff that are welcoming and helpful. Rooms were clean and spacious with en-suite bathrooms. A little noisy due to thin walls but it isn't too bad at night. Great view from the terrace, also lots of sunbeds and chairs to sit outside. Relatively safe as there are sercurity outside due to the big 5 star hotel next door. Would highly recommend, cheap, well decorated with Moroccan style and perfect location. We are returning at the end of our trip!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed here with 2 friends last week. The riad is beautiful and so peaceful. The owner Moktar and his staff could not do any more to help us. They made us feel so welcome, at home and gave us advice on where to go.
This riad Salsabil is literally 1 minute walk from the koutoubia and the jame fna square, ideally located. Yet, it is so peaceful and tranquil.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Riad Salsabil is truly deserving number one spot on trip advisor the Riad is beautifully decorated and so are the rooms.The staff are friendly and show great hospitality as does the owner. calm riad and clean rooms . free tea every day taking on the roof .
We would definatley stay here again and reccomend to anyone thinking of visiting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Salsabil? Share your experiences!