“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 529 restaurants in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were looking for somewhere nice to eat on our last night in Marrakech, we opted to eat in the Riad Kniza Restaurant. The menu is very very straightforward, basically it's 4 courses of which the only one you get any choice on is the main where you can choose which Tagine you fancy. The food was very very good indeed, portions were very generous. Our waiter was brilliant, very attentive but not overly so. It's not the cheapest but then you get what you pay for and it was our best meal in Marrakech over the 4 nights we stayed there.

90% Recommend
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Amazing dining room, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We came here on our first night, and this helped set the tone for pretty much the rest of our trip. The Riad was so quaint yet beautiful. Wish we stayed here! Going back tithe food, we weren't really given a choice, so were served the set meal. The pastilla was fresh and crispy, with a slight of sweetness from the cinnamon. We knew there were loads of food to come, so refrained from finishing this. The mezze served next was a wonderful array of little dishes to pleasure the taste buds. Everything was seasoned perfectly and the ingredients were so fresh. Particularly good was the eggplant and the red pepper dishes. For the mains, we opted for the fish and the lamb tagines. My favourite was definitely the lamb, as the dried fruit complemented the spicing and soft meat very well. We were told the fish was monkfish but felt this was not the case, and the fish was a tad overcooked and hence a bit dry despite the sauce. Luckily the tagines were not too big, and so we managed to polish these off. The dessert was the traditional orange slices with cinnamon, and a pastry cream. This was the perfect ending together with the fresh mint tea (try ask for this without sugar). All in all, we were nicely impressed with the service and food we got here, and felt the higher price charged was justified. Definitely would return again!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Samos, Greece
“delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

was here just for the bussınes.food delıcious.realy loved .moroocon food realy nıce.servıce was good.werry frıendly.hıgly recommended

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“"Not just an amazing dinner, but a true Moroccan experience"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I usually don't write reviews about meals alone, I much prefer to write about accommodations, but I enjoyed the meal at Riad kniza so much, I decided to make an exception. We read about the food at riad kniza on tripadvisior, and at the time of our visit to Marrakech, it was the number 1 rated Moroccan food in Marrakech. We were staying at a neighboring riad in the neighborhood of Bab Doukkala, and we had our host at our riad book for us at riad kniza for dinner. We were so glad we did.

I will be the first to admit that the riad might be a bit hard to find if you are not staying in the neighborhood, as the streets are notoriously confusing in the medina. We found it quite charming to be in a residential neighborhood, but at night it is a bit intimidating on your own--no cars allowed on the small streets, so you must have a guide. A member of the staff from our riad (which out of respect for our riad I won't mention, except to say that it was exceptional as well) walked us to the Riad kniza and we were warmly welcomed by the staff there. We were instantly struck by the sweet fragrance of jasmine--how I wish my home could smell that good! We were taken on a small tour of the gorgeous riad, which has belonged to the family for literally centuries, but recently underwent a beautiful restoration, preserving the old charm. We were shown pictures of all of the celebrities who had been there, then taken to a private room just for the two of us to have dinner, and the table was covered with rose petals. We've heard the view on the rooftop terrace is fantastic, but given the heat, it was nice to sit in an airconditioned room.

We were each given a delicious appetizer which was a pastry with chicken and sprinkled with cinnamon--it sounds like it shouldn't work, but it was incredible. We were then served no fewer than 8 meze--carrots, potatoes, fava beans, beets, eggplant salad, squash, turnips and several assorted fried pastry appetizers--much like samosas. The carrots I will dream about--seriously, I never knew carrots could be so flavorful. They very graciously offered us more of whatever we wanted. We then got our main meals, we had pre-ordered lamb tajine and lamb couscous (they have you pre-order, because they take all day to prepare). They were fantastic--my only regret is that we didn't leave enough room after all of the mezze. The dessert was good, served with obligatory (and delicious) mint tea, but by this time we had stuffed ourselves so much, we didn't have much room. To drink, we had a bottle of moroccan rose, which was surprisingly good.

Given the feast, we expected a huge tab, but were surprised that the total came to just over 100 Euro! I would highly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to know more about Moroccan culture. Much has been said that you learn about cultures through dining and cuisine and I feel that this was especially true in this case. It felt as though we had been invited to dine at a wealthy Moroccan friend's house, who spared no expense to impress his guests. I am so glad we chose to eat here over one of the larger Moroccan restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at Riad Kniza over my birthday and my fiance asked the Riad to set up a special dinner for me. They did not disappoint! They set up a beautiful table on the roof and made sure there were no other tables seated around us. The first course was HUGE, the bastillas were amazing and the dips were truly delicious. For the second course I had the chicken and my fiance had the lamb, both of which were great. The Riad also brought out a huge chocolate cake and candle. Great service, attention to detail, and great food!

Visited July 2013