“delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 507 restaurants in Marrakech
Istanbul, Turkey
“delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

was here just for the bussınes.food delıcious.realy loved .moroocon food realy nıce.servıce was good.werry frıendly.hıgly recommended

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
“"Not just an amazing dinner, but a true Moroccan experience"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I usually don't write reviews about meals alone, I much prefer to write about accommodations, but I enjoyed the meal at Riad kniza so much, I decided to make an exception. We read about the food at riad kniza on tripadvisior, and at the time of our visit to Marrakech, it was the number 1 rated Moroccan food in Marrakech. We were staying at a neighboring riad in the neighborhood of Bab Doukkala, and we had our host at our riad book for us at riad kniza for dinner. We were so glad we did.

I will be the first to admit that the riad might be a bit hard to find if you are not staying in the neighborhood, as the streets are notoriously confusing in the medina. We found it quite charming to be in a residential neighborhood, but at night it is a bit intimidating on your own--no cars allowed on the small streets, so you must have a guide. A member of the staff from our riad (which out of respect for our riad I won't mention, except to say that it was exceptional as well) walked us to the Riad kniza and we were warmly welcomed by the staff there. We were instantly struck by the sweet fragrance of jasmine--how I wish my home could smell that good! We were taken on a small tour of the gorgeous riad, which has belonged to the family for literally centuries, but recently underwent a beautiful restoration, preserving the old charm. We were shown pictures of all of the celebrities who had been there, then taken to a private room just for the two of us to have dinner, and the table was covered with rose petals. We've heard the view on the rooftop terrace is fantastic, but given the heat, it was nice to sit in an airconditioned room.

We were each given a delicious appetizer which was a pastry with chicken and sprinkled with cinnamon--it sounds like it shouldn't work, but it was incredible. We were then served no fewer than 8 meze--carrots, potatoes, fava beans, beets, eggplant salad, squash, turnips and several assorted fried pastry appetizers--much like samosas. The carrots I will dream about--seriously, I never knew carrots could be so flavorful. They very graciously offered us more of whatever we wanted. We then got our main meals, we had pre-ordered lamb tajine and lamb couscous (they have you pre-order, because they take all day to prepare). They were fantastic--my only regret is that we didn't leave enough room after all of the mezze. The dessert was good, served with obligatory (and delicious) mint tea, but by this time we had stuffed ourselves so much, we didn't have much room. To drink, we had a bottle of moroccan rose, which was surprisingly good.

Given the feast, we expected a huge tab, but were surprised that the total came to just over 100 Euro! I would highly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to know more about Moroccan culture. Much has been said that you learn about cultures through dining and cuisine and I feel that this was especially true in this case. It felt as though we had been invited to dine at a wealthy Moroccan friend's house, who spared no expense to impress his guests. I am so glad we chose to eat here over one of the larger Moroccan restaurants.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at Riad Kniza over my birthday and my fiance asked the Riad to set up a special dinner for me. They did not disappoint! They set up a beautiful table on the roof and made sure there were no other tables seated around us. The first course was HUGE, the bastillas were amazing and the dips were truly delicious. For the second course I had the chicken and my fiance had the lamb, both of which were great. The Riad also brought out a huge chocolate cake and candle. Great service, attention to detail, and great food!

Visited July 2013
Cork
“top marks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

food, service, riad, everything perfect. we were staying at the riad and the food there was among the best we tasted in Marrakech. the surroundings were without question the best

Visited June 2013
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

A hard-run battle between here and Gastro MK for Best Moroccan Restaurant - which the latter *just* sneaks for me, but that's personal preference. This is a more traditional take on Moroccan cuisine.

Stunning building, attentive staff and huge portions if great food - book well in advance and skip lunch if coming here for dinner.

The owner gave a brief tour of the building and a choice of tables too. Our waiter was charming and more than happy to answer our questions about the dishes! (Vegetarian menu option offered as standard).

Highly recommend!