“If you are here for the food - you have come to the wrong place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #402 of 525 restaurants in Marrakech
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Marrakech
“If you are here for the food - you have come to the wrong place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

At around 400 for a set menu, we decided to share between two, which didn't leave us hungry. This still worked out fairly expensive, especially considering the mediocre quality of what was served and 50 for a beer.

But there is far more on offer than food.

On entering the place, we had to traverse a corridor lined by musicians, 'playing us in'.

Once inside, we were met with opulence the like of which I've rarely seen. Warm, carpeted, extensive lounging sofas, professional (if impersonal) service, live traditional music and a general air of decadence meant that the visit was a memorable experience.

If money wasn't part of the equation, I would definitely want to come back.

• Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Beautiful restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

A very beautiful restaurant - in fact, a palace although you would not know that from the outside. Apart from us, there were only four other people in this huge restaurant (another two left just after we arrived). Musicians play & we were treated to a display of Berber dancing & belly dancing. But the food was indifferent & very expensive (£75 for two) compared to other restaurants in Marrakech. All in all, we were very disappointed with the food we were given in Marrakech.

Visited October 2012
New York, NY
“Lovely restaurant, terrible food, grossly overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

It is so sad. They have a beautiful building and really should invest in a chef. It is very expensive (fixed price over 400 dirhams) and for that we got the worst food I have ever eaten in Morocco. Beef tagine with prunes mediocre with one piece ask gristle, couscous with chicken and vegetables that tasted as though boiled for several hours and had no flavor, "moroccan salad" that might be mezze -about 10th small plates of tasteless overcooked vegetables. Chicken pastilla was okay. Orange slices & banana fine as was the bread. Our pastries never arrived. If food were just equivalent to places that cost 100 dirham, you could at least feel satisfied to have eaten in such a pretty space. Waiter was friendly. No designer was made when I said it was the worst food I ever ate in Morocco.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London England
“If you love coach parties & poor food, this is for you!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was taken here by a Moroccan friend when I said I would like to eat a good Moroccan meal: to be fair, he had never been there before.
As soon as we got in there, I knew it was going to be a terrible mistake, but I couldn't really embarrass my friend by asking to leave.
The place was full of coach parties, especially American groups - which was a surprise as you so rarely see any of them in the Medina. Clearly everyone had been 'bussed in' from their hotels along the 'strip' outside the city walls and all were having a very noisy 'good time'
We were presented with a ridiculously expensive set menu, which did not contain the moroccan equivalent of 'mixed mezes' as a starter, so I asked the waiter if he could provide this. He said he could, but what arrived was an apology of a 'meze', with none of the dishes containing delicious blends of spices I had eaten in other restaurants on previous trips AND the waiter virtually threw it on the table.
I had eaten a delicious tagine aux prunes a couple of nights before in Nkob, so stupidly ordered another. What a complete travesty: it was virtually inedible & in fact I left most of it I was so furious.
Then - moroccan music, which was ok, but then swiftly accompanied by a BELLY DANCER! Who on earth thinks that this is a moroccan tradition? This is a moslem society where women dress very modestly. They do have traditional dances, but nothing like this; it is an insult to the intelligence.
And then the final insult - the bill, which was absolutely extortionate, even though we had drunk no alcohol. My friend had a few choice words with the management and the bill was reduced, but nowhere near enough.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A taste of Marrakech, a bit tourist focused and over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We ended up here by mistake (bit of a long story which involved a taxi driver) on our first night in Marrakech. The menu, entertainment and building gives you a good introduction to the local culture - however it is a little bit staged / theatre and you get a feeling it is the place for tourists not locals. The food was good and a great way to experience the different local dishes however don't make the mistake we did of ordering seperately if you do it is VERY expensive - make sure you share one of the set menu's between 2 x people. Then it is much better value for money.

• Visited September 2012