“Great evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe du Livre

Cafe du Livre
44 Rue Tariq Ibn Ziad | Off to one side of the entrance to Hotel Toulousain, Ville Nouvelle, Marrakech 40000, Morocco
+212 5244-32149
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 537 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Continental, Café, Bistro, Sandwiches
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Great evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Come here on Friday or Saturday for easy chats and love music. Or Monday with an actual pub quiz. A nice break from traditional places, with both locals and expats around.
Good food, good drinks, excellent company.

87% Recommend
Morocco
“A great Hang out with Fabulous Cocktails, Drinks & Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I come here most Mondays for the Quiz Night, its great fun. Liz (the owner) all ways has a special or two on the blackboard to go along with an international offering on the a la carte menu.

The prices are not inflated (unlike many restaurants in Marrakech) and they have nice cold beer on tap served in proper pint jugs, Nice!

The food is great, I want to give a special mention to the Buffalo Wings, the Mexican Chili and Chocolate and Orange Tart, also the Amaretto Sour Cocktails are really good.

Quiz nights are now none smoking which is fantastic because most places in Morocco don't offer a none smoking policy.

So if your in the mood for good night out with great food and cocktails with like minded people in a friendly neighbor hood restaurant, check out the Café du Livre.

See you there!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris
“A home away from home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I spent a month in Marrakech and would come here almost everyday. I love their menu -no tajines here, but excellent sandwiches and cheeseburgers, pastas, chili and AMAZING fresh salads, which you can't seem to get anywhere in Marrakech. Their tapas are also delicious. Their prices are very reasonable for the quality and large portions. They have an excellent happy hour (as cheap as scary dive bars in Marrakech and half the price of some other local places.) They make great cocktails! (Try the Earl Grey Martini -delicious!) The staff are friendly and helpful (they answered all my questions about how to get places or where to go for something in particular). They also have a couple Scrabble boards and chess and a cool puzzle game I've never seen before. I will miss this place since coming home!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Cool hangout with great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My friends and I visited the cafe on a Friday night recently and had a great time! We had dinner but stayed well into the night because of the live music and an excellent happy hour.
I had an amazing smoked salmon plate that was very generous and delicious. My partner had the chili, which he raved about so much I stole a bite. It's one of the best chilies I've every had! It had lots of spice but wasn't spicy, really yummy. Our friends had a burger and pasta dish and they both really liked theirs as well.
The cafe had live music, a man playing acoustic guitar. The owner said the musician was new and asked our opinion, which was nice. He was good and we sang along with him, which was a lot of fun.
We would happily come back to this cafe again, especially for the chili!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Under new management: gone downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Cafe de Livre is under new management; and it's not an improvement. My beer tasted revolting from failure to clean the beer pipes. Both our meals were inedible due to the use of stale ingredients (in one case positively off). The service was slow/bad (doesn't help if the staff hang out at the bar and never seem to have look at the tables). An the 'library' has now degenerated to a collection of dated books of a quality that even a second hand book seller would just throw out. Meanwhile one of the new owners spends her time just sitting talking to friends while drinking; and her partner sits at the counter playing computer games.

All in all: over-rated; over-priced; and not worth the time and trouble

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Yassine M, Owner at Cafe du Livre, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Wow! I am quite surprised by the negativity of your review! Especially considering this is the first negative review we have received since taking ownership of the cafe.

Let me take your review point by point.
Our beer lines are, in fact, cleaned regularly. Something that was not done by the previous owner. (Which I am aware of because I was previously the manager of the cafe and it was a point on contention at the time.) Additionally, other customers come here specifically because we have beer on tap and have not had any complaints.

You say your food was inedible. However, you do not mention that we offered to replace your dish with something else and ended up refunding your money when you refused.

We are working with our staff to continually improve service, and have already discussed what you have written to bring it to their attention.

The library is stocked with books that are purchased from a second hand book seller. As you can imagine, it is not particularly easy to find English language books in Morocco. We also trade books with travelers and expats and have quite a few bestsellers currently on our shelves. There are approximately 2000 books in our library, in English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch and Japanese. I find it hard to believe you consider them all unappealing.

As for the behavior of the owners, we appreciate your criticism. We are currently working about 90 hours a week, so forgive us for occasionally taking a break.

Finally, you say we are overrated, overpriced and not worth a visit. 25 four and five star reviews speak for themselves, really. Our prices are very competitive, with prices just above snack cafes and well under most restaurants, especially in our neighborhood. As for not being worth a visit, that is your opinion and we respect that. We truly regret that you found your visit unsatisfactory.