“Lovely, well located serene Riad” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Alwachma
21 derb Sebh | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #108 of 1,064 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Lovely, well located serene Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was a solo traveller staying here in January 2013. Overall I was very happy with my stay. The Riad is well located - about a 10 minute walk from Jemaa el-Fnaa. Close, but far enough away to be peaceful. The inside of the Riad was very peaceful, clean and tastefully decorated. It was a pleasure to return here after hectic days in the markets. Staff were very friendly, attentive and did a goof job of looking after guests and the property. Rooms were spacious, clean and well maintained. I slept very well every night. The hotel has a hammam and massage room. A hammam scrub really is a wonderful treatment and is a unique experience. Breakfasts were adequate (tea, coffee, orange juice, pastries, yogurt, fruit) and were enjoyed on the tranquil roof top terrace the Riad has. The terrace has a nice mix of sunny and shaded areas, with a number of couches and deck chairs. If I had one gripe, it would be that the tours the hotel uses are fairly contrived and you will see at least five other tour busses at each stop. I was hoping for more unique, less touristy tour options. One would probably need to look to other tour companies for this. Overall, excellent and highly recommended Riad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Algiers, Algeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My children, my wife and myself enjoyed the time passed in Riad Al-Wachma. the personal was friendly and helpful.

We really appreciated the decoration, the quietness...it takes us back centuries.

Also, it's in the middle of the town of Marakeche and near to the typical square of Jamaa El-Fna (10 minutes walking).

P.S: if you want to stay more then a night, you have to book earlier, you may find your own room booked the day after.

Bon séjour,

Thank you to Al-Wachma staff, Inshallah we'll comeback :)

Nassim

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The riad is a very friendly family run business with approximately 6 rooms? The desk staff are very friendly and go out of their way to assist with tourist info, directions, cups of tea and general good service. The riad is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and has a lovely inner courtyard. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I had a suite, which had a large bathroom and a 3rd bed/sofa in it. The rooms are a bit dark as they only have small windows and the lighting is quite low wattage.
Overall I was very pleased, and would highly recommend a short break stay there.
Downsides? - Not many, except is is quite expensive, but on par with most high quality riads in the area, and breakfast was very limited with bread and jam and a fried egg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. After battling round the souks all day it was lovely to come back to such a peaceful little haven. The staff were great, food was excellent, rooms clean and comfy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review is based only on my experience with Riad Alwachma in trying to make a cancellation to the hotel. I'll start by saying I appreciated that the management reached out to me personally after I booked the room to offer taxi service and dinner.

We, unfortunately, had to cancel our trip to Morocco at the last minute. I'd made reservations through booking.com and contacted the Riad three days before our expected arrival at their location to let them know we would not be able to come. It was after the free cancellation period had expired, but what bothered me was that the management told me that I had to cancel through booking.com, that they were unable to do anything themselves. I happen to know this is not true because other riads were able to work with us. I would have understood if they simply said, "I'm sorry, but we are deciding to follow the policy." Would have been well within their rights. I would have appreciated a more forthcoming response, especially considering our disappointment with having to cancel an entire trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
riadalwachma, Gérant at Riad Alwachma, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Sarah,

Following your cancellation request by e-mail two days before arrival, we've indicated conditions booking.com or one night penalty.
Mail me you clearly indicate that you do not want to cancel because you do not want to pay! So we can not resell the room. If you did things right we might be able to resell the room and so not charge you (night of December 22 to 23: high season)
And the next day your not coming so we had to apply to the conditions booking.com which you were involved.
If we had not taken the money we got a good comentaire???
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed three nights at this lovely riad a short walk all from the main square and souks. It was amazing going through the door to the tranquil calm from the hectic life outside. The room was very nice and the service attentive. At night all the candles and tea lights give a lovely atmosphere. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Alwachma from 8 to 13 November 2012. The accommodation was fantastic in terms of facilities and cleanliness. Our room (Amal) was the smallest (and cheapest), but was big enough to relax in and very comfortable. It looked onto the main courtyard and was very quiet. Other rooms, I noticed, had small windows out onto the street which may provide more natural light, but may also be noisier. The main courtyard is open top (when not raining or cold!) and is an ideal place to eat breakfast (which is included). The roof terrace is also a lovely place to relax in the evenings or warm afternoons if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Medina.

In terms of location the riad is about 8 minutes’ walk from the main square, Jemaa El Fna, via a main road (or through the souks when you are feeling more adventurous!). The riad sorted out transfers for us so that we did not have to worry about finding it (I had heard horror stories of locals offering to guide you then getting you lost and asking for payment!).

The food at the riad was lovely and eating there was very relaxing. As the owners are French there is a slightly French twist to breakfast and some of the food which is nice.

The staff organised a trip to the Altas Mountains with no hassle. The only thing I would say is make sure you are clear what your trip includes and maybe ask for a receipt to make sure you get your included lunch from the trip providers.

We both had treatments at the spa which was lovely and our room was decorated with rose petals that day and dressing gowns left in our room.

Overall I would recommend this riad for a short stay or longer stay, romantic or just a couple of friends after a relaxing stay. The price is extremely reasonable and you can pay in euros, dhirams or by card (3.5% charge though).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Alwachma? Share your experiences!