“Very friendly and spotless” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Alwachma
21 derb Sebh | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #98 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
UK
“Very friendly and spotless”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The riad is a very friendly family run business with approximately 6 rooms? The desk staff are very friendly and go out of their way to assist with tourist info, directions, cups of tea and general good service. The riad is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and has a lovely inner courtyard. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I had a suite, which had a large bathroom and a 3rd bed/sofa in it. The rooms are a bit dark as they only have small windows and the lighting is quite low wattage.
Overall I was very pleased, and would highly recommend a short break stay there.
Downsides? - Not many, except is is quite expensive, but on par with most high quality riads in the area, and breakfast was very limited with bread and jam and a fried egg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. After battling round the souks all day it was lovely to come back to such a peaceful little haven. The staff were great, food was excellent, rooms clean and comfy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review is based only on my experience with Riad Alwachma in trying to make a cancellation to the hotel. I'll start by saying I appreciated that the management reached out to me personally after I booked the room to offer taxi service and dinner.

We, unfortunately, had to cancel our trip to Morocco at the last minute. I'd made reservations through booking.com and contacted the Riad three days before our expected arrival at their location to let them know we would not be able to come. It was after the free cancellation period had expired, but what bothered me was that the management told me that I had to cancel through booking.com, that they were unable to do anything themselves. I happen to know this is not true because other riads were able to work with us. I would have understood if they simply said, "I'm sorry, but we are deciding to follow the policy." Would have been well within their rights. I would have appreciated a more forthcoming response, especially considering our disappointment with having to cancel an entire trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
riadalwachma, Gérant at Riad Alwachma, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Sarah,

Following your cancellation request by e-mail two days before arrival, we've indicated conditions booking.com or one night penalty.
Mail me you clearly indicate that you do not want to cancel because you do not want to pay! So we can not resell the room. If you did things right we might be able to resell the room and so not charge you (night of December 22 to 23: high season)
And the next day your not coming so we had to apply to the conditions booking.com which you were involved.
If we had not taken the money we got a good comentaire???
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed three nights at this lovely riad a short walk all from the main square and souks. It was amazing going through the door to the tranquil calm from the hectic life outside. The room was very nice and the service attentive. At night all the candles and tea lights give a lovely atmosphere. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Alwachma from 8 to 13 November 2012. The accommodation was fantastic in terms of facilities and cleanliness. Our room (Amal) was the smallest (and cheapest), but was big enough to relax in and very comfortable. It looked onto the main courtyard and was very quiet. Other rooms, I noticed, had small windows out onto the street which may provide more natural light, but may also be noisier. The main courtyard is open top (when not raining or cold!) and is an ideal place to eat breakfast (which is included). The roof terrace is also a lovely place to relax in the evenings or warm afternoons if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Medina.

In terms of location the riad is about 8 minutes’ walk from the main square, Jemaa El Fna, via a main road (or through the souks when you are feeling more adventurous!). The riad sorted out transfers for us so that we did not have to worry about finding it (I had heard horror stories of locals offering to guide you then getting you lost and asking for payment!).

The food at the riad was lovely and eating there was very relaxing. As the owners are French there is a slightly French twist to breakfast and some of the food which is nice.

The staff organised a trip to the Altas Mountains with no hassle. The only thing I would say is make sure you are clear what your trip includes and maybe ask for a receipt to make sure you get your included lunch from the trip providers.

We both had treatments at the spa which was lovely and our room was decorated with rose petals that day and dressing gowns left in our room.

Overall I would recommend this riad for a short stay or longer stay, romantic or just a couple of friends after a relaxing stay. The price is extremely reasonable and you can pay in euros, dhirams or by card (3.5% charge though).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am just back from four nights at the Riad Alwachma with two friends that flew over to meet me from Barcelona. I had to chose the riad we were going to stay in so I was a bit nervous about making the right choice. We couldn't have been happier! The correspondence with the owner, Anne Helene, was really helpful before I arrived and she couldn't have been nicer. As I was flying in from the UK on my own, I decided to book a taxi through the hotel which was the same price that my friends paid just flagging one down at the airport. The atmosphere at the riad was lovely, spoilt only briefly by a noisy Italian who thought it was a good idea to Skype sitting in the courtyard, despite other guests reading, snoozing and having massages in the rooms surrounding him. I must admit though that it was great having free WiFi to keep in touch at the beginning and end of each day.

The staff were all lovely and the service was great - delicious breakfasts on the roof terrace or in the courtyard, cups of tea lounging in the sitting room, wonderful Moroccan massages.

My only problem during the trip was one of my toes suddenly swelling up like a red sausage. It sounds funny now but it was excrutiatingly painful. Despite it being a Sunday, Anne Helene jumped to my rescue and drove me over to a clinic to be diagnosed and drugged by a charming Moroccan doctor. It makes me pale to think what it would have been like if I'd tried to find a hospital myself when I was in such a state.

On the location side, it was about a ten minute stroll from the central square but this was so much nicer than living in the madness of the souks. Once we got our bearings after the first evening, we really enjoyed the walk home after dinner (turn right at the banana stand, left after the third Laughing Cow sign).

I cannot recommend the riad and its staff highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in two types of rooms; I was on the ground floor with only windows onto the courtyard. Th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Riad Alwachma is conveniently situated in the Medina and a quick ten minute walk will find you at the Jemaa El Fna and its labyrinthian souks. Our hosts Jérôme and  Anne Hélène made us feel truly welcome. Meeting us upon our arrival with cups of Berber Whiskey (hot sugar sweetened mint tea),  Jérôme provided us with a map and many helpful details regarding the different parts of the old city. The staff is attentive and courteous and the accommodations comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. Since our itinerary included a trip to the desert, we made sure to book an appointment at their hammam for our return and were not disappointed.  We were scrubbed, pampered and felt renewed after our experience. If you are considering somewhere to stay when in Marrakesh, I would strongly recommend booking with them!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Alwachma? Share your experiences!