“A lovely introduction to Morocco” 5 of 5 stars

21 derb Sebh | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #104 of 1,120 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A lovely introduction to Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed three nights at this lovely riad a short walk all from the main square and souks. It was amazing going through the door to the tranquil calm from the hectic life outside. The room was very nice and the service attentive. At night all the candles and tea lights give a lovely atmosphere. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Alwachma from 8 to 13 November 2012. The accommodation was fantastic in terms of facilities and cleanliness. Our room (Amal) was the smallest (and cheapest), but was big enough to relax in and very comfortable. It looked onto the main courtyard and was very quiet. Other rooms, I noticed, had small windows out onto the street which may provide more natural light, but may also be noisier. The main courtyard is open top (when not raining or cold!) and is an ideal place to eat breakfast (which is included). The roof terrace is also a lovely place to relax in the evenings or warm afternoons if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Medina.

In terms of location the riad is about 8 minutes’ walk from the main square, Jemaa El Fna, via a main road (or through the souks when you are feeling more adventurous!). The riad sorted out transfers for us so that we did not have to worry about finding it (I had heard horror stories of locals offering to guide you then getting you lost and asking for payment!).

The food at the riad was lovely and eating there was very relaxing. As the owners are French there is a slightly French twist to breakfast and some of the food which is nice.

The staff organised a trip to the Altas Mountains with no hassle. The only thing I would say is make sure you are clear what your trip includes and maybe ask for a receipt to make sure you get your included lunch from the trip providers.

We both had treatments at the spa which was lovely and our room was decorated with rose petals that day and dressing gowns left in our room.

Overall I would recommend this riad for a short stay or longer stay, romantic or just a couple of friends after a relaxing stay. The price is extremely reasonable and you can pay in euros, dhirams or by card (3.5% charge though).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am just back from four nights at the Riad Alwachma with two friends that flew over to meet me from Barcelona. I had to chose the riad we were going to stay in so I was a bit nervous about making the right choice. We couldn't have been happier! The correspondence with the owner, Anne Helene, was really helpful before I arrived and she couldn't have been nicer. As I was flying in from the UK on my own, I decided to book a taxi through the hotel which was the same price that my friends paid just flagging one down at the airport. The atmosphere at the riad was lovely, spoilt only briefly by a noisy Italian who thought it was a good idea to Skype sitting in the courtyard, despite other guests reading, snoozing and having massages in the rooms surrounding him. I must admit though that it was great having free WiFi to keep in touch at the beginning and end of each day.

The staff were all lovely and the service was great - delicious breakfasts on the roof terrace or in the courtyard, cups of tea lounging in the sitting room, wonderful Moroccan massages.

My only problem during the trip was one of my toes suddenly swelling up like a red sausage. It sounds funny now but it was excrutiatingly painful. Despite it being a Sunday, Anne Helene jumped to my rescue and drove me over to a clinic to be diagnosed and drugged by a charming Moroccan doctor. It makes me pale to think what it would have been like if I'd tried to find a hospital myself when I was in such a state.

On the location side, it was about a ten minute stroll from the central square but this was so much nicer than living in the madness of the souks. Once we got our bearings after the first evening, we really enjoyed the walk home after dinner (turn right at the banana stand, left after the third Laughing Cow sign).

I cannot recommend the riad and its staff highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in two types of rooms; I was on the ground floor with only windows onto the courtyard. Th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Riad Alwachma is conveniently situated in the Medina and a quick ten minute walk will find you at the Jemaa El Fna and its labyrinthian souks. Our hosts Jérôme and  Anne Hélène made us feel truly welcome. Meeting us upon our arrival with cups of Berber Whiskey (hot sugar sweetened mint tea),  Jérôme provided us with a map and many helpful details regarding the different parts of the old city. The staff is attentive and courteous and the accommodations comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. Since our itinerary included a trip to the desert, we made sure to book an appointment at their hammam for our return and were not disappointed.  We were scrubbed, pampered and felt renewed after our experience. If you are considering somewhere to stay when in Marrakesh, I would strongly recommend booking with them!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

This riad was stunning. This was my first visit to Marrakech with my friend and we were warmly welcomed. The riad arranged airport transfers and everything was explained to us upon arrival. We were given a map and talked through recommendations for sites to visit.

The treatments were heavenly and the food was amazing. Breakfast on the terrace was a delight and the room was huge and very comfortable.

I would recommend this to a couple as it is very romantic but also for friends looking for a relaxing spa trip.

Stunning!

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay here with teenagers and can find no faults at all. The riad is very clean, well managed and all the staff are welcoming and helpful. The gentleman on reception had such a welcoming smile and warm manner just perfect after a long journey.
The riad is well located just a minute from the road so there was no carrying heavy cases though streets.
The street is very quiet but only 10 minutes from the souk and square and an easy 20 minute walk to majorelle gardens. Looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed November 2012
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I would like to thank Jerome and Anne Helene and their staff for making my stay at the Riad Alwachma very, very enjoyable! Everybody went out of their ways to ensure my stay and the stay of each visitor was a little bit of paradise! The room are very comfortable and decorated to blend a little traditional Moroccan or arabic style with a blend of Europe! The rooms are not overpowered by a manly decor, nor are they too femenine for the male partner. The riad is centrally location to all of the major sites of Marrakech and within a 10 minute walk you can be at the famous Marrakech market and souks! If you ever want to get away from the daily hustle give them a try...they have everything you need to make your stay happy and wonderful. I planned to stay two days and ended up staying three...

Room Tip: It is a little hard to find on your own so ask for directions to either the Mosquee de Doukkala or L...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Riad Alwachma? Share your experiences!