“Sad to leave!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lodge K

Save Saved
You added Lodge K to your Saves list
Lodge K
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de Fez km. 5 | Dar Tounsi, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #56 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Paris, France
“Sad to leave!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have to admit that upon arrival I was a bit let down.....the welcome was limited, we were dropped off near a storage/garage like area, and the villa we had reserved was reserved to someone else. I was extremely surprised because Lodge K had been highly recommended. However, we were quickly won over by the charm, the birds singing, the warm service, the impeccable garden, the decor, and the calm. I have traveled alot and have been to some incredible places so I am not easy to please, but Lodge K is a place to go to and I will go back. I was very sad to leave!

Acutally, I should add......it's a place to go if you are looking to relax and to enjoy time with your partner. There were some people that brought their children, which didn't bother me, however it's more of a place for couples in my opinion. The sun chairs around the pool are nestled under the palm trees by 2's and each chair is perfect for 2 people!! For me it is an ideal place for romance, reconnecting, and recharging.

As for the pool, it's lovely but cold. It was very hot outside so the refeshing dip in the pool was nice, but not easy to get into. The pool area is surrounded by really one of the nicest gardens I've ever seen. Exceptionally maintained!! That impressed me because some 5 star hotels do not even have this standard.

The restaurant has a large menu for being such a small place. I stuck to the Moroccan food and had only positive experiences. My companion was less happy and quickly bored. We didn't leave the hotel for the 6 days we were there, but next time we will enjoy some of the local restaurants. Overall, the food is good yet able to see when the head cook was not there!!

We stayed in the Art Deco room and visited the other villas. They are all quite nice and the decor adds to the experience. The rooms are well cared for and quite spacious. Lodge K has really created a unique place for their guests. The only downside for me was the bathtub which isn't at all practical since it's the size of a jacuzzi and would take hours to fill.....but it was nice to look at!

Service very warm and helpful, paying attention to all our needs. As for the owners, they are a super warm & charming couple that clearly take great pride in Lodge K and wish to bring a special experience to their clients.

Lastly, for those of you interested in spa treatments..... I want to add that I had a massage from the spa with Youssef..........great! He started with the hammam & exfoliation and then finished with an amazing massage. It was very "tonic" and not for people looking to just lay there and have oil rubbed on their back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I really should have left this review earlier as our stay at Lodge K was outstanding.My partner and I have a hectic lifestyle and I thought we needed a couple of weeks of complete relaxation.After a lot of research we chose Lodge K for a two week holiday in August 2010 and thankfully we were not disappointed. In my opinion this is the Moroccan equivalent to the Banyan tree Madivaru, The lodge has five huge very exclusive tented villas on the grounds each with plenty of privacy.We could not fault the villa we stayed in which was the Master's Villa.The Four poster bed was huge and very comfortable and the bath was to die for.
Sonia and Eric the hosts were always friendly and attentive and are a lovely couple.
Throughout our two week stay the staff and service were beyond five star especially since it was Ramadan .The food and quality of wine was excellent.
As previous posts have said if you want a very special romantic break with your loved one Lodge K is Heaven on Earth.
Thanks again for a wonderful time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

The three words above sum Lodge K up perfectly for us. Coming on the back of a few days in the Medina (staying at Noir D'Ivoir - another fantastic property) this was the perfect 'Oasis' to spend a few tranquil days of R&R. This must be one of Marrakech's best kept secrets as no-one seems to know it exists - we have friends in Marrakech who have lived and worked there for years (in Tourism) and they knew nothing about it! Perhaps its size has something to do with it - with only 5 lodges (not 6 as a previous reviewer has stated) it is very small and feels very exclusive - but it deserves better recognition for the standard of accommodation on offer and the value it represents. Have a look at the website - what you see really is what you get although the 'lodges' probably feel bigger (and the pool slightly smaller) when you get there. We had a look at all the lodges in the course of our 4 night stay and our favourites were probably 'The Master' - the frankly enormous one that we stayed in - The Art Deco and the Egyptian (the smallest but perhaps the most stylish of all). There were never more than 3 of the lodges occupied in the time we were there and it is inexplicable to me why that was the case. My wife told me that the spa treatments she had were excellent and represented good value for money.

It was interesting to note that on one of the days of our stay, Louis Vuitton (or should I say a team of photographers etc. on their behalf) rolled in for a photo shoot (in the Egyptian Lodge) that may raise some interest/awareness in fashion circles but for now it seems that Lodge K remains a remarkably well kept secret.

If there are downsides, I would say that the size of the property leads to some idiosyncrasies with things like meals. You need to order well in advance (i.e. mid-afternoon for your evening meal, mid-morning for lunch) as they prepare things specifically on request (don't expect to sit down in the evening with a menu!) but you can understand why if they are only feeding a handful of guests every night. The standard of the food was very good (predominantly Moroccan cuisine) and, contrary to a previous poster, I think 35 Euros per head for a 3 course lunch or dinner (40 euros for seafood) represents great value. If you only order 1 course when three are offered it seems a little disingenuous to complain - they still need to provide a chef, waiting staff and so on. You will probably want a night out and there are plenty of eating options close by, for example, Dar Ennassim is a short cab-ride away (still in in The Palmerai district) and serves superb French cuisine.

Drinks are generally quite pricey 9 euros for a local beer or a G&T etc. although good quality wine is reasonably priced (30 euros a bottle) so there is value to be had (and a glass of Gris is very nice in the sunshine)!

I would point out that the pool was very cold. Great for quickly cooling down if you overheat in the sunshine but not so good for a 'quick dip' in the morning. 'Bracing' - to the point of heart-stopping - is the best way I can describe it....

Overall, I could not recommend this place highly enough if you want to relax in stylish, peaceful surroundings and generally chill-out for a few days. A great place to come if you want to split some time between the Medina and something a bit less frenetic. I would think twice about bringing kids to a place like Lodge K but for a romantic break in a place in some truly stunning accommodation, this could be one of the most unique places in the World, let alone Marrakech. Go there before more people find out about it and the prices double!

Room Tip: They are all unique - your style, your choice!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at K Lodge for 3 nights with our 9 and 11 year old. Beware......They charge a set amount for lunch or dinner regardless of how much you eat. This is fine if you want 3 courses but we're not particularly big eaters and have 2 children who didn't want a full 3 course meal. So for 2 salads and 2 small burgers we were charged 140 Euros. I took it up with the management but little was done which left a nasty taste and I came away feeling like we were being ripped off. It was a shame, generally it was pretty good, although I really wouldn't rush to return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011 via mobile

6 exvlusive lodges. makes you feel at home and all the efforts put in by the owners to make of this exvlusive home a homely feeling are rewarding. if you like the website, you will love it once you arrive: the garden and the
swimming pool are amazing.

• Stayed April 2011
Casablanca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We usually go to Palais Rhoul when we are in Marrakech but it was full that weekend and they recommended Lodge K. It truly feels like you are staying at someone's home, someone who must be artist with amazing taste, elegance and sense of hospitality. All in a peaceful and casual ambiance. The food was perfect, the staff was all smiles, and the rooms/tents are just a voyage in time and space. Only spent a weekend there but felt so relaxed it was as good as a week (Although if you can spend a week there go for it:)! A BIG thumbs up, highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

hard to describe our trip without sounding cheesy,The Lodge K is a place that really amazed us.
Beautiful house set in tranquil gardens with inviting swimming pool and excellent owners & staff.They were unfailingly bright, friendly, helpful and genuinely happy to do all they could to ensure we had an amazing time - which we did. This was especially welcome given that the aggressive Marrakechi approach to tourism out in the town itself can take some getting used to, and I am by no means an inexperienced traveller. the lodge k itself is also magnificent;ornate, elegant and beautiful but welcoming and relaxed. thanks to Alami;he was very friendly,kind especially to children,feels like you are
staying in someones house rather than a hotel.
I wholeheartedly recommend LODGE K and thank everyone there for a fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lodge K? Share your experiences!