“Magical Riad in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zamzam Riad

You added Zamzam Riad to your Saves list
Zamzam Riad
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   107, Rue Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #28 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Magical Riad in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

This is the ideal place to stay. Beautiful and thoughtfully decorated, it will have you rushing to the Souks with inspiration. The food is excellent , try the aubergine dip! The Moroccon wine that Emma serves is delicious. (£11/12 approx) . Have an evening meal at the the riad when other guests are there, as this gives a romatic buzz as you sit by candle light in the court yard, under the night sky. Lighting plays a major role in the magic of this place. Let Marcus orgainise your taxi pick up . This is reliable and essential as other taxis may find it difficult to find the riad. The drive from the airport is 15 mins approx., If you are adventurous you can easily follow the map provided by Marcus, into the Souks. Basically after a few left turns its walking straight for 15-20 mins. Bring a compass and enjoy getting lost, you are completely safe Otherwise have a guide which will cost you £25 for 2 hours. Vist the Jemaa at night & eat from the stalls or at Chez Chegrouni, then jump in a taxi back to Bab el Jnane for less than a fiver. Agree price with the driver before getting in. Al Fassia is an excellent resturant to visit, have the pigeon pie starter & mixed salad starter, which consists of 14 separate tapas like dishes ! after that share a tagine, skip the deserts and have a second bottle of wine instead. (£25 approx per head with wine). Don't visit the New City but don't miss Jardin Majorelle. Zamzam is the perfect retreat and somewhere you will want to return to.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

I cannot overstate how excellent Riad Zamzam is. Emma, Marcus and their friendly staff cannot do more to make you feel welcome - in fact they make you feel more like long lost friends than hotel guests! The Riad is beautifully decorated and luxuriously furnished and the food is excellent. We had an entertaining afternoon doing the cookery course offered by the Riad and a relaxing hammam/massage (if you can call the hammam relaxing...) after a busy day in the souks. Nothing was too much trouble from booking taxis, restaurants and suggesting trips to helping lost or stranded travellers. The atmosphere created by Emma and Marcus in the evenings is more like a dinner party than a hotel which means we met and chatted to many of our fellow guests. Overall I would definitely recommend this Riad to anyone considering a trip to Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

What a fabulous place! Riad ZamZam is a haven of luxury and tranquility within the hustle and bustle of the medina. Emma and Marcus (the owners) make you feel completely at home the moment you arrive, and anticipate everything that you need to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable, and to allow you to explore Marrakech in comfort and safety. They have great drivers, guides, masseuses, restaurants, etc, to recommend and even have contingency plans for rescuing anyone who gets lost in Marrakech's winding streets!!!
Emma is also a fabulous cook, and you must eat in the Riad at least once during your stay. We did the cooking course and had a hoot with Emma and her chef trying our hand at Moroccan specialities that were then beautifully served to us in the evening.
I would definitely recommend this Riad to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed in Riad ZamZam for two nights this September and it was everything we had hoped for. The furnishings and decor were beautiful - rich colours, sumptuous fabrics, perfect lighting - luxurious and perfectly in keeping with the city. It felt like an oasis amidst the frantic hustle of Marrakech. Emma and Marcus were lovely hosts and the breakfasts, lunch and dinner we enjoyed at the riad were delicious. We each indulged in a hammam/massage, which everyone agreed was fantastically relaxing. I'd recommend anyone and everyone to go if they're planning a trip to Marrakech!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed in RiadZamZam with my wife in September for a four day break. It really was a peaceful, cool oasis in the heart of the real authentic Marrakech. The Riad itself is luxury personified and is stunning inside. We were also bowled over by the friendliness of Emma (the owner) Siad and all the staff. They took great care in orientating us, organising taxis, booking great resturants and giving us helpful insider tips. Their recommendations also included a day trip to La Pause - a desert oasis getaway in the middle of nowhere - true Indiana Jones stuff!

You couldn't really ask for better service at RiadZamZam and it was so relaxing to get back after the chaos of the souks and be offered a green tea. The food there was also brillant - I had the best onion soup I've ever tasted the first night.

We were only there four days, so there was still stuff that we didn't do, like the cooking class, and the Hamman (spa) - maybe next time!

I would recommnend the RiadZamZam to anyone wanting to see the authentic true side of Marrakech, yet also who wants to stay in a stylish hip guesthouse, with outstanding personal service and attention to detail.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I spent a week at Riad Zam Zam during mid September 2009 and stayed in the Isaac Room. It was the perfect location to enjoy the tail end of our summer holiday. Emma, Marcus and their staff have created a warm, relaxing and friendly atmosphere in which to escape the hectic charm of Marrakech.

During my stay I managed to enjoy some of the services and activities offered by the Riad including:
- a cooked meal upon on our arrival from Fes - which tasted amazing
- a brilliant cooking class to learn some of the secrets of Moroccan dishes - the outcome was amazing, I even surprised myself, and
- the onsite Hammam spa followed by a relaxing massage (just what was needed after a hectic day shopping in the souks).

The atmosphere of the Riad is perfect. During our stay we meet many other friendly and interesting travellers and managed to swap stories on negotiating with the shop keepers, where to find particular items in the souk or interesting restaurants and bars we managed to locate. In addition, Emma and the team were always helpful with suggestions for day trips, shopping tips and restaurants.

Riad Zam Zam is located in the northern part of the Medina and is about a 20-30 min walk/stroll to the main square in Marrakech. This is exactly to my taste as you get to spy on everyday life in one of the oldest sections of the medina away from the tourist masses which are huddled around the souks and the square. On the occasion when we felt particularly lazy we just had the Riad organise a car for us to take us where we wanted to go, all done with the utmost ease.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Riad Zam Zam and will definitely stay there on my next visit to Marrakech. Markus

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Riad Zam Zam was everything that a sensitive young man, who has never travelled to Africa before, could want. Everything was fantastic - the riad is beautiful; staff are friendly and informative; the food is amazing and the riad itself was breathtaking(the perfect romantic venue to mingle with other travellers and soak up the Moroccan way of life).

I was made to feel welcome, and Emma went out of her way to make me feel more like family than a paying guest. Everything could be arranged, including very helpful guided tours; relaxing hammams; shopping and leisure trips. Nothing was too difficult for the staff. I have also never had as good a night's sleep as I did at ZamZam. Wandering through the medina was an experience, but the riad is only twenty minutes away from the souks and attractions. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and felt so relaxed after spending a week there. I would highly recommend Emma, Said and the rest of the staff for going that extra mile to help me enjoy Marrakesh. ZamZam is distinctive, fresh and above all wonderfully relaxing. I would certainly stay there again, and may even one day have my wedding there. By James Dawson

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Zamzam Riad? Share your experiences!