“Try the cooking course - it's great fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zamzam Riad

You added Zamzam Riad to your Saves list
Zamzam Riad
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   107, Rue Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #36 of 473 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Try the cooking course - it's great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

What a fabulous place! Riad ZamZam is a haven of luxury and tranquility within the hustle and bustle of the medina. Emma and Marcus (the owners) make you feel completely at home the moment you arrive, and anticipate everything that you need to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable, and to allow you to explore Marrakech in comfort and safety. They have great drivers, guides, masseuses, restaurants, etc, to recommend and even have contingency plans for rescuing anyone who gets lost in Marrakech's winding streets!!!
Emma is also a fabulous cook, and you must eat in the Riad at least once during your stay. We did the cooking course and had a hoot with Emma and her chef trying our hand at Moroccan specialities that were then beautifully served to us in the evening.
I would definitely recommend this Riad to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed in Riad ZamZam for two nights this September and it was everything we had hoped for. The furnishings and decor were beautiful - rich colours, sumptuous fabrics, perfect lighting - luxurious and perfectly in keeping with the city. It felt like an oasis amidst the frantic hustle of Marrakech. Emma and Marcus were lovely hosts and the breakfasts, lunch and dinner we enjoyed at the riad were delicious. We each indulged in a hammam/massage, which everyone agreed was fantastically relaxing. I'd recommend anyone and everyone to go if they're planning a trip to Marrakech!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed in RiadZamZam with my wife in September for a four day break. It really was a peaceful, cool oasis in the heart of the real authentic Marrakech. The Riad itself is luxury personified and is stunning inside. We were also bowled over by the friendliness of Emma (the owner) Siad and all the staff. They took great care in orientating us, organising taxis, booking great resturants and giving us helpful insider tips. Their recommendations also included a day trip to La Pause - a desert oasis getaway in the middle of nowhere - true Indiana Jones stuff!

You couldn't really ask for better service at RiadZamZam and it was so relaxing to get back after the chaos of the souks and be offered a green tea. The food there was also brillant - I had the best onion soup I've ever tasted the first night.

We were only there four days, so there was still stuff that we didn't do, like the cooking class, and the Hamman (spa) - maybe next time!

I would recommnend the RiadZamZam to anyone wanting to see the authentic true side of Marrakech, yet also who wants to stay in a stylish hip guesthouse, with outstanding personal service and attention to detail.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I spent a week at Riad Zam Zam during mid September 2009 and stayed in the Isaac Room. It was the perfect location to enjoy the tail end of our summer holiday. Emma, Marcus and their staff have created a warm, relaxing and friendly atmosphere in which to escape the hectic charm of Marrakech.

During my stay I managed to enjoy some of the services and activities offered by the Riad including:
- a cooked meal upon on our arrival from Fes - which tasted amazing
- a brilliant cooking class to learn some of the secrets of Moroccan dishes - the outcome was amazing, I even surprised myself, and
- the onsite Hammam spa followed by a relaxing massage (just what was needed after a hectic day shopping in the souks).

The atmosphere of the Riad is perfect. During our stay we meet many other friendly and interesting travellers and managed to swap stories on negotiating with the shop keepers, where to find particular items in the souk or interesting restaurants and bars we managed to locate. In addition, Emma and the team were always helpful with suggestions for day trips, shopping tips and restaurants.

Riad Zam Zam is located in the northern part of the Medina and is about a 20-30 min walk/stroll to the main square in Marrakech. This is exactly to my taste as you get to spy on everyday life in one of the oldest sections of the medina away from the tourist masses which are huddled around the souks and the square. On the occasion when we felt particularly lazy we just had the Riad organise a car for us to take us where we wanted to go, all done with the utmost ease.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Riad Zam Zam and will definitely stay there on my next visit to Marrakech. Markus

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Riad Zam Zam was everything that a sensitive young man, who has never travelled to Africa before, could want. Everything was fantastic - the riad is beautiful; staff are friendly and informative; the food is amazing and the riad itself was breathtaking(the perfect romantic venue to mingle with other travellers and soak up the Moroccan way of life).

I was made to feel welcome, and Emma went out of her way to make me feel more like family than a paying guest. Everything could be arranged, including very helpful guided tours; relaxing hammams; shopping and leisure trips. Nothing was too difficult for the staff. I have also never had as good a night's sleep as I did at ZamZam. Wandering through the medina was an experience, but the riad is only twenty minutes away from the souks and attractions. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and felt so relaxed after spending a week there. I would highly recommend Emma, Said and the rest of the staff for going that extra mile to help me enjoy Marrakesh. ZamZam is distinctive, fresh and above all wonderfully relaxing. I would certainly stay there again, and may even one day have my wedding there. By James Dawson

Birmigham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I have recently spent 3 nights at the Zamzam after a relative recommended it to me. I remember the moment that I entered the Zamzam, and put it this way, if the saying “first impressions count” is true this Riad most certainly has nothing to worry about. When you enter the Riad you immediately feel calm which is such a contrast to what is is actually going on just a few metres away from the Riad.

My room was like no other I have ever stayed in. The bedroom was elegantly decorated in a Moroccan style, from the bed sheets on the King-size bed to the doors on the wardrobes. It is also the little features within this room that made this place special, e.g. the mp3 player speakers, the fruit platter, the ZamZam dressing gown etc.

Another fantastic thing about this hotel is the food that is served. Every morning you are presented with your own personal miniature buffet consisting of pancakes, fruit salad, natural yoghurt, Moroccan bread, coffee, fruit juice, preserves etc. The breakfast is brilliant in setting you up for a day exploring what Marrakech has to offer. I was also fortunate in eating a meal in the evening here. It was this evening where I invited some friends over. Emma was brilliant in accommodating my friend’s needs after they had recently had a bout of food poisoning somewhere else in Morocco and therefore needed some good English food. We ate in the courtyard which at night is dimly lighted so that it is absolutely stunning and therefore creates a calming ambiance for anyone sitting or eating there. We had succulent Roast Lamb with steamed vegetables, then for dessert we had a delicious banoffee tartlet which had orange rind in the pastry, this most certainly topped off the meal. This was definitely a perfect way to spend my last night in Marrakech.

Finally there is no way that I can compliment this Riad in the way that I have without mentioning Emma, Marcus and Saïd (The owners and the manager respectively). These three people are some of the friendliest, easy going, easy to talk to, most helpful people that you will ever meet. Emma and Marcus have obviously dedicated a lot of their time and hard work on renovating this Riad into the fantastic place it is, which consequently reflects strongly on the pride that they take in everything that they do from helping you settle in, to trying to accommodate your needs. Saïd is also another person who is always eager to help you, if you are lost or need directions to some where he will kindly either come and find you or take you to the place where you need to be.

I have noticed whilst reading other people’s reviews before I went that the location for some people is a problem. However I would tell anyone who bothers to take note of these petty remarks that although in the north of the medina that the Riad is actually fairly close to the centre, and a lot closer than if you stayed in the new city where a lot of the new western hotels are based. At first a fairly inexperienced traveller as myself may find the medina a daunting and scary place, however it wasn’t long before I realised that it is actually a very safe place and the most trouble you will have is a small boy trying to show you a magic trick. It is also worth taking note that it was safe for me to walk around on my own fairly late at night i.e. 11/12 pm. I would however recommend to anyone planning on staying at the ZamZam to take the airport transfer provided by the hotel because although it may be a little more expensive than just taking a taxi, this way you are guaranteed to be taken straight to the hotel as you can’t get to the Riad all the way by taxi, and therefore would find it probably quite difficult to find by yourself.

All in all I would say that this is by far one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and most certainly was one of the highlights of my stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

It is a dream to visit a riad and stay in morocco but if you want one that in my opinion stands out from the rest, (and I have had the chance to stay in a few) I strongly recommend Riad zamzam. There is something special about this place, a conviviality here which is rare to find. A relaxing atmosphere and friendliness. Emma and Marcus are welcoming and Said their manager professional and yet entertaining. I came away with a huge smile on my face and only wish I could stay longer. Emma and Marcus have created a unique style in this riad and work hard to make sure you enjoy your stay in the best possible way, be it the cookery course, a guided tour of the souks or a hammam. I could write much much more.......

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Zamzam Riad? Share your experiences!