“If the saying "first impressions count" is true....this Riad most certainly has nothing to worry about.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zamzam Riad

Save Saved
You added Zamzam Riad to your Saves list
Zamzam Riad
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   107, Rue Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #23 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Birmigham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I have recently spent 3 nights at the Zamzam after a relative recommended it to me. I remember the moment that I entered the Zamzam, and put it this way, if the saying “first impressions count” is true this Riad most certainly has nothing to worry about. When you enter the Riad you immediately feel calm which is such a contrast to what is is actually going on just a few metres away from the Riad.

My room was like no other I have ever stayed in. The bedroom was elegantly decorated in a Moroccan style, from the bed sheets on the King-size bed to the doors on the wardrobes. It is also the little features within this room that made this place special, e.g. the mp3 player speakers, the fruit platter, the ZamZam dressing gown etc.

Another fantastic thing about this hotel is the food that is served. Every morning you are presented with your own personal miniature buffet consisting of pancakes, fruit salad, natural yoghurt, Moroccan bread, coffee, fruit juice, preserves etc. The breakfast is brilliant in setting you up for a day exploring what Marrakech has to offer. I was also fortunate in eating a meal in the evening here. It was this evening where I invited some friends over. Emma was brilliant in accommodating my friend’s needs after they had recently had a bout of food poisoning somewhere else in Morocco and therefore needed some good English food. We ate in the courtyard which at night is dimly lighted so that it is absolutely stunning and therefore creates a calming ambiance for anyone sitting or eating there. We had succulent Roast Lamb with steamed vegetables, then for dessert we had a delicious banoffee tartlet which had orange rind in the pastry, this most certainly topped off the meal. This was definitely a perfect way to spend my last night in Marrakech.

Finally there is no way that I can compliment this Riad in the way that I have without mentioning Emma, Marcus and Saïd (The owners and the manager respectively). These three people are some of the friendliest, easy going, easy to talk to, most helpful people that you will ever meet. Emma and Marcus have obviously dedicated a lot of their time and hard work on renovating this Riad into the fantastic place it is, which consequently reflects strongly on the pride that they take in everything that they do from helping you settle in, to trying to accommodate your needs. Saïd is also another person who is always eager to help you, if you are lost or need directions to some where he will kindly either come and find you or take you to the place where you need to be.

I have noticed whilst reading other people’s reviews before I went that the location for some people is a problem. However I would tell anyone who bothers to take note of these petty remarks that although in the north of the medina that the Riad is actually fairly close to the centre, and a lot closer than if you stayed in the new city where a lot of the new western hotels are based. At first a fairly inexperienced traveller as myself may find the medina a daunting and scary place, however it wasn’t long before I realised that it is actually a very safe place and the most trouble you will have is a small boy trying to show you a magic trick. It is also worth taking note that it was safe for me to walk around on my own fairly late at night i.e. 11/12 pm. I would however recommend to anyone planning on staying at the ZamZam to take the airport transfer provided by the hotel because although it may be a little more expensive than just taking a taxi, this way you are guaranteed to be taken straight to the hotel as you can’t get to the Riad all the way by taxi, and therefore would find it probably quite difficult to find by yourself.

All in all I would say that this is by far one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and most certainly was one of the highlights of my stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

It is a dream to visit a riad and stay in morocco but if you want one that in my opinion stands out from the rest, (and I have had the chance to stay in a few) I strongly recommend Riad zamzam. There is something special about this place, a conviviality here which is rare to find. A relaxing atmosphere and friendliness. Emma and Marcus are welcoming and Said their manager professional and yet entertaining. I came away with a huge smile on my face and only wish I could stay longer. Emma and Marcus have created a unique style in this riad and work hard to make sure you enjoy your stay in the best possible way, be it the cookery course, a guided tour of the souks or a hammam. I could write much much more.......

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

It was 2am on the 30th August 2009... Our first wedding anniversary. I knew we were going abroad, I just didn’t know where!!! My husband handed me a card, out of the card fell an information sheet... The Zamzam Riad in Marrakech.... WOW!!! Marrakech was always a place I wanted to visit and experience. We flew with Ryan air (Awful, never again!). We arrived at Marrakech airport at 9.30am. You have to fill out a visa form which does cause a bit of a delay. When we passed through customs we were greeted by Aziz, the taxi driver organised by the Zamzam Riad. As we were travelling Aziz was telling us about some of the sights in Marrakech... We drove through the Madina walls and I just had a constant smile on my face... It was just like going back in time how I would describe as biblical...
We were dropped off outside a chemist our bags were unloaded by Aziz... I thought oh my god, where on earth are we?!! Then, around the corner came a handsome young man with a big sunshine smile on his face, he was pushing a sort of wheelbarrow, he shook our hand and introduced himself his name was Said. Said loaded our bags into “The wheelbarrow” and asked us to follow him. I had no idea of where we were going to end up, if I didn’t tell you I was a little nervous, I would be lying. We turned right down a little lane... and there was a BIG brown Fort Knox door with a huge brass lantern above it... Said rang the door bell, a young lady called Sam opened the door.... “Hello!” She said “Welcome to The Zamzam Riad.” Another BIG Smile :o). When I walked in I couldn’t believe my eyes! As soon as you walk through that door you are taken into total peace and tranquillity! The Riad is absolutely beautiful... everything is perfect... attention to detail!
We were invited to have a seat and have some Moroccan whiskey (mint tea). Sam briefed us on the Riad and Marrakech. She then showed us to our room... again WOW! Talk about make us feel special... the room was filled with rose petals, a heart shaped on the bed out of rose petals and 2 roses placed on each pillow, a bottle of wine, a basket of fruit and a picture of us from our wedding with happy 1st anniversary. We stayed in the Palm Suite. It brought a tear to my eye...
We ate at the Riad for Breakfast, lunch and dinner... You couldn’t fault the food.. Proper home cooked grub! Yummy!
The next day we had a guide to take us around the Souks. What an eye-opener... as you walk through the streets you are faced with all the hustle and bustle... families making material, making bread, making everything! It really makes you realise what is important in life and most of all what we take for granted.
I could talk about my/our Marrakech experience for ages so I will try to wrap it up.... Here is what you must do... (Can all be arranged by the riad);
1) The Souks
2) A Hammam (its like a Turkish Bath)
3) The Square
4) The Palaces, Yves Saint Laurent memorial garden
5) GO OUT! Explore... Get lost... if you don’t get lost you haven’t experienced Marrakech... Dont be scared... Just do it!

The Zamzam is situated in the perfect location! Yes, it’s the far North side of the medina... but if we had stayed slap bang in the middle of it all we would never had experienced the true local life.

Would I go again? Yes, absolutely! I will be there like a shot. We were made to feel at home straight away.... Had some real good belly laughs with Said and the team... I can truly say the ZAMZAM Riad is a “Top banana” place to stay. (A little joke that will stay with me for a long time).
Well done... To everyone at The Zamzam Riad... A true little hidden gem!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Had a wonderful stay at ZamZam. Cannot describe how well you are looked after. The Riad is beautiful, food excellent and very personal service. Said was lovely and really went out of his way to help in everyway. Worth having a Hammam and an experience. Staying here was a great way of seeing the real Marrakech especially walking through the Medina which was not as difficult as we thought, but worth having a guide when you arrive before exploring on your own. Loved it and an experience arriving down an alleyway to a door, only to be opened into this beautiful place, of peace and tranquility. Great fun shopping in the Souks for bargains and would certainly return. Open top bus a good way of seeing some of the sights and the main square at night is a must as well as the gardens of Ives Saint Laurent.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Zam zam surpassed any expectations, the staff were helpful and charming, the food was delicious and it has the best plunge pool I have been been in! Rooms were decorated so tastefully, its a an island of calm right in the mad city. We really didn't want to leave and will try to get back as soon as we can. thank you!
D. Epworth London UK

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I was lucky enough to meet Emma and Marcus, the Zamzam hosts, whilst they were building the riad and could tell back then that they had the passion and determination to create the best Riad in Marrakesh. I returned with my partner recently and was not disappointed. The service was impecable from the fabulous food to our hosts efforts to ensure our stay was the best it could be. The hard work that has gone into the details, the decor, the rooms, making the riad as true to it's Morrocan roots as possible whilst maintaining a relaxed sophistication, has not been wasted. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hetfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I'm not one for writing reviews, however having experienced the Opulence and tranquillity of Riad ZamZam I felt that more people should know about this wonderful place. This beautifully restored Riad is run by an young couple from London who went out of their way to make sure we had a truly refreshing break. The riad is stunning, you cannot believe a place like that exists when you first walk through the entrance leaving behind you the gritty reality of the Medina. If you are looking for a true boutique experience, you would have to go far to beat Riad ZamZam.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Zamzam Riad? Share your experiences!