“Wonderful place and great staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zamzam Riad

You added Zamzam Riad to your Saves list
Zamzam Riad
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   107, Rue Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #33 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Pavia, Italy
“Wonderful place and great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We just came home from a 6-night stay at Zamzam with our 11-month old daughter. We absolutely loved it! The riad is absolutely beautiful, wonderfully decorated and it is hard to believe how peaceful it actually is, being in the sligthly chaotic medina. As the other reviews say, the riad is not in the very center of the medina but close to the northern end of it and not far from the new town. I guess if you have never visited this kind of city before the first impact with the streets of the medina could be a little bit scary, however, we never felt the least bit threatened or scared, and the riad staff was always availiable to help us find our way to where we wanted to go before we had learned to orientate ourselves!

Food was delicious, although of very varying quantity - some evenings we got enough food to feed a family of 5 while other evenings it was just about enough for the two of us. Breakfast was really good. We brought food for our daughter and we could always get it heated, and hot water was always available. Great service!

I think that the greatest resource of this riad is the staff. Everyone was so helpful, we got help to organize our stay, booking tours, suggestions on where to have lunch in the medina, booking taxis, and as I already mentioned, help to find our way around in the streets around the riad. And - everyone was SO lovely with our daughter! She had the best time ever in the riad, getting everyone's attention and spending time in the kitchen with the nice ladies working there.

Overall, a wonderful experience and we'll definitely stay at Zamzam again if we ever return to Marrakech!

ZamzamRiad, Owner at Zamzam Riad, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Emma
Thank you for this lovely review. It means so much to the hard working team at Zamzam that you had a great time and felt looked after. We love loved meeting your gorgeous daughter and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

As far as I am aware a Riad means a house with rooms opening out onto a courtyard. The riad was pretty fully occupied when we were there and I can honestly say we never heard the slightest noise if our windows were closed. Our taxi took us to within a couple of minutes from the riad and Aziz met us. But ten minutes later Aziz took me out, pointed me in the right direction and I had a great wander around for 45 minutes. Never once felt threatened or uneasy, all the people I dealt with in the shops and on the streets were charming and eager to help. No there was not a Starbucks and no I could not buy the Herald Tribune, but I had no trouble interacting with the locals. I loved finding our way back to our little oasis. Follow the blue signs and turn right at the alleyway with the airconditioner on it! We stayed twice, two different rooms, both terrific. Yes, the awater did not run out of the bath one night, (probably too much desert sand!)but I told Aziz and he fixed it within two minutes, that could aslo happen at any hotel.
We did the cooking class and went to the market with IIlam, our cook. She obviously had her favorites and it was fun to watch her interacting with the vendors. She then showed us, and we worked along side her, how to cook a wonderful tagine with all the vegetables and things that went with it. The results were suberb and we all enjoyed a great lunch.
Breakfast and dinner in the courtyard or on the roof. Wonderful views and great service.
My wife and I felt very welcome all the time, nothing was too much trouble and we never once felt unsafe or threatened. yes the centre of the souk is an 18 minute walk or a short taxi drive away but never once did I feel we were walking through a slum.
We very much look forward to a return visit and to see Emma and Marcus and her wonderful staff.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed pretty good..we had the suite one night with a TV bit never turned it on..excel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ZamzamRiad, Owner at Zamzam Riad, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you so much for this review. Aziz is fantastic at pointing people in the right direction and collecting them at night. I particularly enjoyed meeting the both of you and talking about all your wonderful travels. You really got the Medina experience its great fun walking around and checking out the busy day to day lives of the people living in this ancient Medina. Glad are new wifi boosters have been noticed. In the ancient Medina drains can block, but they can be quickly unblocked if as you did you give Aziz or Faisal a shout. Yes I do think they have half the Sahara in them too sometimes! A drain replacement project for the whole of the Medina is underway so things should be much better in the future. I'm glad you loved the cooking course they are such fun. I hope you are practising your briouattes? looking forward to seeing you next time!
Marbella, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I recently stayed in Riad Zamzam on my way back from the Sahara and before a flight out of Casablanca the following day. It was a whistlestop over night stay but a charming experience. The riad has been delightfully refurbished. First drinks were served on the roof terrace on a balmy Marrakech evening followed by a delicious supper served in the courtyard. Staff were courteous and attentive. My room was lovely (I'm not sure of the name of the one I was in) with crisp, Egyptian cotton sheets, nice lighting and good air-conditioning. I slept like a log! The next day was an early start although a sumptuous breakfast was still served which set me up for the long journey home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Marbella
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Zam Zam then off to the desert for 3 nights and 1 final night before our departure to Casablanca.
We had an excellent welcome with the taxi driver greeting us as we descended the overnight Marrakech Express from Tangier. We where taken to the drop-off point where we were greeted by Aziz, who escorted us through the labrynth of local alleys. We were thinking OMG we´ll never find my way back. However, with directions and a map from Zam Zam we soon felt at home walking unescorted. We never once felt threatened or unsafe.

After the heat and dust of the surrounding alleys, Zam Zam.is a luxurious oasis. We partook of all that was offered starting with a sumptous breakfast in the courtyard but there are dining areas inside as well as on the roof terrace - spoilt for choice. This was followed with a hammam and massage to clean away our traveller´s grime. Moroccan tea was on tap to rehydrate us and as the temp has soared to 45C we really needed it.
The shopping and cookery class were fantastic fun. And I´ve even managed to reproduce the meal on my own.
Emma was a marvellous hostess and nothing was ever a problem for her. The staff made our stay a memorable experience. And on top of this, all our meals were excellent and all our taxis on time. I have already recommended Zam Zam to my friends.

Room Tip: No need as all the rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Riad and have very mixed reviews. First the good. The room was very nice, and the Riad was smaller than we expected, but well maintained. Faisal was an excellent everything. Hospitable, patient, understanding and responsive. You could not ask for more in terms of his service. Now the issues. First the location is not convenient to much of anything. You need a driver to get anywhere and typically need someone to walk you out to find the driver. That makes it harder to just come and go. Also, the taxis don't know where this is, so they drop you off and you need to find your way back from the taxi drop off, which is neither close to the Riad nor the most safe feeling location. We also had issues with arranging car service. When we arrived after a 7 hour train trip we had arranged with the Riad for a driver to show up, and confirmed it 3 times. When we arrived, no driver. After many struggles to get in touch with the Riad, we were simply told that they were very busy and they would get there when they could. In fairness, they did not charge us, but that was beside the point. We were depending upon that service. Worst of all, Emma, who was very helpful in making the arrangements, answering all my questions before we arrived, arranged the car service, but never addressed it with me directly during our entire stay. Overall, the rest of the staff was very accommodating and very pleasant. It is a nice place, but the location is a real challenge. We spoke with other guests while we were there and they all said the same.

• Stayed April 2013
ZamzamRiad, Owner at Zamzam Riad, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
In response to your review. I'm very sorry about your airport pick up. I too was absolutely furious. I had confirmed your taxi with the company we use 3 times. I was so angry that he wasn't there on time that he then offered you the transfer free and also told you that any taxis you needed during your stay in Marrakech would be free. I did think this was a decent gesture. This is very unusual for this professional company and I am sorry again. Most professional riads in the Medina use this company for transport as they are so professional. I didn't address it directly with you as I share my job with Marcus and Imane. Marcus who went to the riad to meet you told me that everything was ok and that he had apologised on behalf of Zamzam.

We hire extra staff to walk with people and the taxi drop off point is only 3 minutes from the front door and has easy access for the cars. We work with an exclusive travel agency who use Zamzam for this very reason for their VIP dinners. I think your review is a little unfair as we use the best partners we can find in Marrakech and the company did make every effort to apologise for their tardiness and offer you free rides during your stay.

You are right in your comment - The Medina is not a particularly convenient place (much like Venice) and it can be a bit of a struggle. In fairness the Medina is a maze and most people enjoy that adventure. You do need to be clear about what the Medina offers when you visit Marrakech as with most places in the Medina, they take a compass to find. Taxis do know where we are as Zaouia and Bab Tagherzout are two of the most famous places in the Medina, but again if you jump in a local petite taxi some can be challenging and I always advise that the ones who use 'their counter' are the most honest. Lastly we have excellent restaurants in walking distance from Zamzam, also we are closest to the Majorelle Gardens and our side of the souks is the best with the most authentic artisans. Again I'm sorry your driver was late and I'm glad you enjoyed Zamzam and our wonderful team.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife, son and I stayed here for 3 nights with our 14 month old son. It is as beautiful and luxurious as the pictures depict and all the staff are wonderful making you feel at home. Breakfasts are beautiful and they will cater to any of your requests. Dinner in their soothing courtyard is a must.

While still in the medina, it is a bit off the beaten track. Nonetheless, their porter, Aziz, will walk you wherever you need to go until you get your bearings. All in all, this Riad is so classy, beautiful and elegant. The staff is amazing and once you get home after a crazy day in Marrakesh, you will never want to leave.

ZamzamRiad, Owner at Zamzam Riad, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your helpful review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the riad and that you were able to chill out after a busy day in the Medina. The Zamzam location was chosen so that people could go exploring and then retreat to calm. If you overshop which can happen in the wonderful souks our taxi drop off point is only 3 minutes walk from the riad and Aziz is always available to walk round and carry your bags.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've just read this last review of Riad ZamZam by Al P and couldn't disagree more. We booked this Riad after googling " family friendly RIad, Marrakech " and the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor.
We were met at the airport by a taxi arranged by the Riad and had a wonderfully warm welcome by Emma, one of the owners. We immediately felt at ease.
The Riad was just what we were after and after a wash and brush up went down for dinner. The food was sublime. I'd thoroughly recommend the Royal Tagine, a wonderful combination of Lamb, Prunes, Apricots, Almonds and Walnuts. In our next 10 days travelling around Morocco the food at Riad ZamZam was never surpassed. They even prepared a special ice cream selection for our 7 year old son.
The rooms are large and naturally open out towards the central courtyard as this is a typical Riad. The decor was amazing and as a keen photographer, a feast for the eyes.
A wonderful nights sleep was followed by a lovely breakfast ( I do love my food ! )
The Riad had organised a car for us to travel over the Atlas Mountains to Ouarzazate, where we were going on a 8 day trip though the Western Sahara and many villages and towns. The drive was spectacular and the driver organised by Emma was first class.
We had an amazing tour but we were tired by the end and really looked forward to going back to ZamZam, our quiet Oasis of calm.
We arrived back and met Marcus, the other owner. Another wonderful welcome and a day of exploring.
Marrakech is a wonderful city although it can be a bit overwhelming at first. All of the streets within the Medina are narrow and twisty and it can be hard to find your way around but I never felt threatened. You do get pestered by the locals but this is Morocco after all. The kids in the neighbourhood of Riad ZamZam were helpful and friendly although they all wanted a few Dirhams !
In short I would thoroughly recommend Riad ZamZam. The decor was wonderful, the food fantastic and the service couldn't be faulted. I can't wait to return.

ZamzamRiad, Owner at Zamzam Riad, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review - your feedback is really helpful for the Zamzam Team who work so hard. Our chef is wonderful and I work very closely with her to combine international recipes with her Moroccan cuisine. We are now planning our summer menu of cool light options. The Medina is busy and hectic which is also what makes walking around it such an adventure its full of magic and surprise! We partner with excellent guides and drives to ensure you have the best experience and are well looked after. Thank you for posting your stunning photos of Zamzam! and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to Zamzam Riad? Share your experiences!