“Lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars

Derb Sharij No19, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #270 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
“Lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Riad I booked had a burst water pipe so while it was being sorted out I had the pleasure of staying at Riad Chalymar for 2 nights. The room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. The staff were very attentive and looked after our every needs. A special thankyou to Abduhla and Aziz for there patience. Although this was not my first choice I cannot fault the wonderful 2 nights I spent at Riad Chalymar.

Room Tip: Second floor is less noisy and more private.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

The owners are dishonest, rude and unwelcoming!

The Riad is located down dark, poorly lit alleyways, strewn with rubbish.

English is not spoken, making it very difficult to communicate and request or ask for anything!!

Breakfast was disappointing,

The swimming pool was tiny and full of flies!!

The room was dark as half of the lights did not work.

The wifi did not work for the entire stay!

We were kept awake late at night by other guests, due to layout and size of the Riad!!

The terrace was dirty, the chairs and cushions were very old and worn and the plant pots contained more weeds than plants.

Upon checking out before we had even left the owner sent a member of staff to inspect our room!

BEWARE! We checked out in the morning with a flight in the evening WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE OUR LUGGAGE and had to carry it around with us on our last day!

We did not book this Riad – but were taken here as our original booking at a different Riad was apparently overbooked, which was not the case when my booking was made and confirmed via several emails!!
Should you decide to book – and I would advise you not to - ensure you are at the right Riad – as this was certainly not the case, and they tried to convince us that it was!!!

We were supported and assisted by booking.com and did not pay to stay here due to their handling of the situation and dishonesty, but I would never have booked this Riad in the first place!! It is second rate!

This ruined our entire experience of Marrakech!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Jean C, Propriétaire at Le Riad Chalymar, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
I am Jean-Jacques, Chalymar's owner
I've never seen you, I don't know you and I hope I won't because you just bragged about leaving hotels without paying the bill.
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed on my own in October and had a wonderful stay. As arranged a driver was at the airport to meet me in an air conditioned taxi. He took my luggage and straight to the Riad. I'd requested a Lamb tagine as I was arriving late in the evening and was served this on the beautiful terrace by Aziz. Breakfast the next morning and every morning was at a time to suit me and there was always a tray of coffee or tea to greet me when I returned weary from a days sightseeing. Aziz and Youssef went out of their way to ensure my comfort and safety at all times. Meeting me to lead me back to the Riad and making wonderful excursion arrangements. Youssef took me on a quick tour of the main square one evening and was a very helpful and professional young man. I would not hesitate to recommend the Chalymar to everyone. The peace of the medina is incomparable.

Room Tip: The Suite was beautiful and the bathroom was enormous.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Neuchatel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Just come back and really pleased that we chose Riad Chalymar- as it gave us a real 'feel' for Marrakesh. Staying in one of the plush places in the Palmeraie or Hivernage district would have been more luxurious - but the size (only 6 rooms so great for a small group, up to 15) and age (beautifully aged mellow floor tiles) of this Riad, and the access via little pedestrian lanes (djerb) where old ladies sit, crochet and chat- and kids play- was a delight. The roof terrasses were great to see the sunsets and feel the breeze. The two 2nd floor rooms are the best- as they are airy and have their own recessed open terrasse (Chalymar and Nina) - and would make a great base for 2 couples or a family. Bring a torch for late night returns, as the access is dark - but we never felt threatened at all. I'd definitely stay there again (Thanks Youssef and Aziz).

Room Tip: Chalymar or Nina on 2nd floor are best for light and air + privacy and own open terrasse. I'd av...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here last week. The staff were friendly and Youssef in particular was very helpful and informative (though he did forget to pick us up at the airport...my advice is email the day before you travel just to remind him or take down the number of the riad and give them a call when you are at the airport...its only 20 minutes away). The location of the riad is close to Jemaa El Fna and its not too difficult (once you have done it a couple of times) to navigate your way through the alleyways to get to the main street. The room was always clean. The communal areas were nice and quiet.....a nice place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the souks. Would recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

The staff were extremely friendly and they even picked us up and dropped us off to the airport free of charge. The Riad was lovely and the roof terrace was perfect for relaxing after you had spent the day in the hustle and bustle of the city. We were really close to the main square too so it was easy to find restaurants and taxi’s. Our room was the smallest they had but I thought it was an ok size for 3 nights. We also got fresh towels and sheets everyday when the maid cleaned the room. The rooms do not have locks on the doors but it did not bother us as the Riad is very safe and there is always someone around. If you do not like this however you can take your own pad lock. There were only a couple of negative things. The breakfast was a bit boring with just croissants and Moroccan bread but the coffee was very good though. Also the en suite in our room was a wet room and I found it annoying having to keep watching the water so it didnt go into the bedroom. This might not apply to all rooms though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at this Riad with a friend last year (two females). Booked this Riad after reading all the positive reviews. But sadly our experience was not positive and i am shocked by the glowing reviews. It all started wrong when we were supposed to get picked up from airport by mr Jean Paul. I emalied our flight details in advance and he confirmed he would be collecting us. After waiting over half an hour we called the Riad to be told Mr Jean Paul had waited for us and had left! our flight was not delayed, so this was just confusing. After several phonecalls and over an hour and half later Saeed came to collect us in taxi and said we would have to pay (hotel transfer is meant to be complimentary). In the end we were expected to pay half the price for taxi ride. The staff here completely rip you off when they organise a taxi ride for you. We booked a taxi via them to go to Nikki Beach. The driver was late in picking us up and when we called Saed for our return ride, he said the driver was on his way and to wait for him. I swear, we waited in the scorching heat for over an hour, and each time we called Saeed he said the driver was on his way and to top it up he charged triple the amount we would of paid, if we had just stopped a taxi ourselves. Suffice to say, we sorted our own ride after this. As this is a small Riad, they staff do spend time with you enquiring about your itinenary for the week. However, the level of interest was intrusive and made us feel uncomfortable. Once again it was a hard sell from them to get us to book any trips or outings through them. Also, they was a lovely cleaner who supposedly cleans the rooms every day, but all she did was replace the towels and tidy the clothes by arranging them in various designs on the bed, very cute, but changing the bed sheets etc would of been more appreciated. Im being totally honest by saying our bed sheets were only changed once during our week say there and that was because i had to wait for her then ask her specifically to change them. On the plus side breakfast was served where ever you wanted and what ever time you got up. I would not recommend this Riad to other travellers, especially females (it's on a dodgy narrow smelly side street, that you get through after walking through a bit of a maze) dragging suitcases through the narrow lanes and coming back late at night, just didn't feel safe. As for the swimming pool, trust me you wouldn't want to use it. It's downstairs in full view of everyone walking in and out and they are no sun loungers around it. All in all this is one Riad to definetly avoid.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Le Riad Chalymar? Share your experiences!