“A Riad like "1001 nights"” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Dar Othmane
198, Derb Essakaya - | Essibtiyine Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #231 of 1,071 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Arad, Romania
“A Riad like "1001 nights"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed in this Riad 6 nights and it was excellent!
When we arrived, we were met by Hassan (Riad's manager) who waited for us with fresh orange juice and mint tea, which was refreshing after the trip.
Hassan helped us also with the transfer from/to the airport.
The Riad is located in the heart of Medina, 5-7 minutes from Jemaa El Fna market - by Hassan guidances.
Also, Hassan upgrated our accomodation to a more spatious room, which we are thankful for.
Every day the room was clean and tidy.
The Riad is very quiet and cool, perfect to rest in, after a day spent in agitated Marrakech.
Wi-fi is available and free all over the Riad.
Hassan was very patient with us, answered all our questions, helped us a lot with his maps - which were precious in Medina, showed us the way to the market and made sure that we know the way back.
Breakfast is enough to start the day in a very good mood, and the coffee is hot and strong!
Do not hesitate to have dinner at the Riad, because Hassan is a very good cook - he prepares the best salads, tajine and couscous in all Marrakech, and portions are huge !! :)
He is discreet enough not to boder you, and atentiff enough so that nothing is missing from your table.
Sure enough, if I will ever return to Marrakech, I'll stay in this same Riad!!
Thank you very much, Hassan!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
DESIR7_11, Gérant at Riad Dar Othmane, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your message on TripAdvisor, we are glad you loved the house and moments shared with you.
See you soon.
Manager Hassan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

After frantically looking for a place to stay I chose this Riad over another based upon the fact that Hassan, the Riad manager, got mentioned so often as a top notch host. All I can do is to add to the accolades that Hassan deserves. I learned that one of the meanings of the name Hassan in Arabic is good; and Hassan truly lives up to his name. He was always kind and patent with me with all my questions about where to go and what to do. I remember leaving my room in the uttermost mess after my first night, only to find that coming back later that afternoon to find that the bathroom was cleaned, my clothing was folded and put away and that the bed was made.

Breakfast was simple, but good and filling, He makes the little pancakes himself and if he likes you he'll offer you up one of his homemade madelines with your coffee - which is also delicious on its own.

I think that the location also adds to the appeal as it's not so dead smack in the center of the Jemma Al Fna, that it gets really quiet; the only real noise coming from the call to prayer. The main square is quite easy to find after Hassan guides you part of the way, and I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to find my way years later.

I was planning to visit other parts of Morocco, and Hassan was kind enough to let my leave my main piece of luggage with him in his room while I was touring about the rest of Morocco.

I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about their stay here, and if they do then they're just being unreasonably finicky and picky. I would whole heartedly recommend staying here to anyone who is interested, the location, value and customer service cannot be beat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
A big thank you to you for your review, it encourages us to continue if necessary in the same way.
We hope to see you soon in our house.
Manager Hassan
Vicenza, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Riad Dar Othmane for a 3-day visit to Marrakech, which was one of the locations that we visited during a longer trip in Morocco. We were warmly welcomed by Hassan, the riad keeper, who gave us very useful information on the Medina and proved careful, discreet and scrupulous throughout our visit. We were given a wonderful room on the ground floor, whose cleanliness certainly met the standards of a 5* hotel! The riad is incredibly quiet and conveniently located in the heart of the Medina, in a safe area only a few minutes away from Djamaa El Fna. Traditional breakfast food was offered every morning, as well as Hassan’s kindness and his prompt reply to all our queries about the best things to do in Marrakech. We highly recommend this riad!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to have you with us.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
best regards
Manager
Hassan
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

A wonderful little Riad just a 10 minute walk from the main square. Hassan (The Riad owner) went out of his way to make sure that we had a great time and didn't get lost in the labyrinth of streets that make up the Medina. The Riad was very clean and comfortable with the benefit of air conditioning (essential if visiting in June!) and a lovely breakfast each morning. Relativly basic accomodation but what more would you need in the middle of such a vibrant city!? Hassan also arranged transfers to and from the airport for us, another necessity as there is no way you would find Dar Othmane otherwise. Overall, a highly enjoyable stay, fantastic value for money and a Riad to be reccomended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I cant fault Riad Dar Othmane, I went with a friend and had a great time. Hassan (the riad owner) couldnt do enough for us. We were greeted with Orange Juice, Mint Tea and Water, which was great as it was 45 degree heat when we arrived! He also gave us a map and showed us around outside and made sure we didnt get lost. We got a really good price, and as there werent many other guests Hassan upgraded us for free. It's a good location, a reasonably easy 10 min walk to the main square. The riad overall was quite simple, but there's so much to do in Marrakech there's no reason to stay indoors. The room had air con, was clean and our beds were made daily. The breakfast was fine (tea, juice, bread and pancakes). Although small and quite basic, the riad was a beautiful and cosy place to stay after a busy day in the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed in Riad Dar Othmane on our 2nd and 3rd nights in Marrakech. We chose to walk there from our other riad as we had been provided with a very helpful map via e mail before we left England (as well as a list of excursions and food available if needed). We did get lost but that's all part of the fun of the Medina and we like to think we saw some of the 'real' Marrakech, the places where people lived and worked. It can be tricky to navigate the narrow, crowded streets, especially as we were there during the celebrations of the birth of Muhammed and was a public holiday. We arrived out of the hustle and bustle to peace and calm. Hassan greeted us warmly and made us mint tea. Our room was lovely, very clean and the shower was hot and powerful. Hassan organised an excursion to Ourika Valley in the Atlas Mountains for us, which was wonderful. We would definately go back there to stay if we went back to Marrakech and I would have no trouble recommending it to others. Thank you, Hassan!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are in the courtyard area so may not be as quiet as upstairs rooms.
Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Located in the heart of Marrakech’s Medina, Riad Dar Othmane offers sanctuary from the city’s busy streets and noisy markets.

On arrival, the staff made us feel incredibly welcome and treated us to a pot of mint tea and a brief tour of the surrounding area. During our stay Hassan was the perfect host, offering to buy us supplies, book excursions and readily available to answer all our questions about the Riad and the city itself.

The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable and a pleasant breakfast was provided each morning. A good sized roof terrace was a welcome addition and allowed us to make the most of the good weather.

If ever I was to return to Marrakech I wouldn’t think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Dar Othmane? Share your experiences!