“Be careful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Lalla F'dila

Save Saved
You added Dar Lalla F'dila to your Saves list
Dar Lalla F'dila
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   17 Derb Allilich | Kaat ben nahid - Moukef -, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #336 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Be careful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Before booking this hotel, I checked all the reviews and thought that they were quite good so I decided to go ahead and book. After staying at the hotel, I checked the reviews again and noticed that there were a number of them that exactly matched my bad experience. So be careful of these reviews. If the following criteria are important to you, I advise you to book another hotel.

Location is very difficult to find - you will be hounded by kids who will offer to guide you for a price of course. It is not very close to Jemaa El Fnaa - a good 20-minute walk through the souk, so unless you are a good navigator, it can be a headache finding this hotel. Taxis can not drop you off close to the hotel. This can be especially inconvenient for airport transfers especially in the evening as the streets leading to this riad can be quite dark and winding.

Despite booking sites telling you that you can pay by credit card, they do not accept credit card. They only take cash, and surprisingly enough for me, when I questioned them about this, exactly what they had told a previous poster they told me (that they sent an e-mail about this but they NEVER really did). There are no ATM machines within close proximity.

Internet access is very bad - no access in the rooms. Even in public areas, the signal is quite sporadic. No TV though not a big deal.

Breakfast is rather dull. You get bread and jam pretty much, so do not even think that this is a perk for the hotel.

Oh and by the way, Mourad, the manager is only friendly if you do not cause any trouble or do not challenge him. When I arrived, he was in the middle of an argument with another guest over over-charging for airport transfers (yes, the airport transfer each way is 2x the regular taxi) and told the guest that he was "ignorant". He was rather arrogant when I was discussing payment options and pretty much what a previous poster said about the same circumstances happened to me. He told me that this was the agent's mistake and that I can complain and post all I want on the internet - he could care less. I figured that's true because everybody else is posting so many positive things - now I wonder if these are "staged" posts.

I leave it to you to decide but I am just giving you my first-hand experience of this riad, if it is worth anything. At the end of the day, it will be your experience. I already had mine.

Room Tip: I would check another, more central riad or go with an established chain.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Getting to the hotel from where the taxi dropped us off was a bit overwhelming as it was evening time, and we really did not know our ways about. Fortunately, a guy helped us find the hotel ans as a gesture we gave money as tip but it was not enough for him and demanded more. Thanks to Aziz who spared some change as we did not have enough dirhams with us that moment. He took us to the roof and served us some wonderful mint tea while he checked us in. He even showed us around few restaurants for dinner, and then the next morning greeted us again for breakfast. His hospitality was great, also gave us directions to get about the souks.
The room where we stayed was pretty relaxing, the only downside was that the bathroom did not have a proper door but curtains. However, there was a separate toilet outside the room which had a proper door.
The streets can be a bit confusing to get in and out of here but thanks to my husband's good memory we did not get lost.
First day we just walked around on foot around the area, and went around the near-by attractions like the palaces. Second day we got on the city sightseeing bus which was a great way to explore the city. Third day, checked out some local museums as a way of killing time since our flight was that evening.
Overall, it was a great experience to remember and the hotel itself was pretty good! But next time, I would consider staying by the more developed new city than this location as people (especially young kids) on the streets do tend to come over and try to 'help' you find your ways around and then demand for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with my daughter. It was a very peaceful place after the hectic markets and medina. Would like to go back with my husband.
Our room was above expectation.
Mourad, the manager was extremely friendly and helpful especially when my daughter and I couldn't find our way back to the Riad on our first day. I rang Mourad and he walked out to find us.
We ate in one evening and I have to say that the meal was better than the food in the restaurants we visited.
I would definitely recommend Dar Lalla F'dilla if you are looking for some peace and quiet and don't mind being a little off the beaten track.

• Stayed March 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

At first I was overwhelmed by the Dar Lalla F'Dila. The previous reviews were right. It is old but charmingly restored, with lots of original features. It is an oasis of quiet after the chaos of Marrakech. The room was big and airy. It was comfortably furnished. There are sofas for sitting around the courtyard and the rooftop terrace is a lovely spot for enjoying breakfast in the early morning sun. There are also a couple of sun loungers and a shaded seating are where we enjoyed relaxing after being out in the town. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Aziz the concierge was very helpful and friendly. He spoke some English and we got by with that, my school french and his good humour. He was pleased to teach my partner some Moroccan Arabic phrases.
BUT I'm sorry to say our holiday was spoiled by the manager Mourad. I understand that he had been very helpful towards some other guests who stayed at the same time but I'm afraid we did not have the same experience. We had booked through an online travel agent for 5 nights. After the second night Mourad announced without any apologies that we were being moved to another hotel. When we objected he said it wasn't his fault the agency had booked our room to someone else. On further questioning it transpired that he had a direct booking for people who had requested 'our' room. We refused to move, and eventually he backed down and we stayed the full 5 nights Although he insisted on us changing rooms. Unfortunately it spoiled our holiday as we felt unwelcome and in such a small place we felt an uncomfortable atmosphere.
One other small criticism. Free wifi was advertised in the Riad but it was switched off when Mourad went home for the evening and so was only available during the day time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Dar Lalla F'dila is at the back of the Marrakech museum, a grand old riad furnished in traditional style. The riad is old and this is part of it's charm. The breakfasts are generous, we had fresh orange juice, coffee, fruit, yoghurt, eggs, pancakes and bread freshly baked in the kitchen of the riad. We stayed in a ground floor room where the ceilings are more than 20' high, and our bathroom was through an ogee arch and up a winding staircase to an old but spotless bathroom with dressing area. There was a lovely rose scented soap by the shower which had good water pressure. We were very happy with our room which had traditional handmade carpets on the floor and walls, the bed was comfortable and the sheets of high quality cotton, it was rather like sleeping in a castle. However the star feature was the manager Mourad, who was indispensible when we needed it, and then when new guests arrived who had lost a suitcase with all their documents and money in it, he then went with them to the police, airport, etc.etc. literally gave days to helping them reporting the losses and sorting out their documentation. A real gem of a place in a nice location with service that goes beyond.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The riad Dar Lalla F'Dila, run bij Mourad and Guillaume, is a good place to stay at when you visit Marrakech. It is i the middle of the medina, the Ben Youssef Madrasa, the souks and Jamaa el Fna are just around the corner. The rooms are specious and clean. The rooftop terrace is a good place to calm down after a sizzling day in Marrakech Mourad and Guillaume give you the feeling that you are ver a welcome to stay with them. We had a good time at the Dar Lalla F'Dilla!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Having been a regular traveller to Marrakech but been unable to stay at my favourite riad I had to chance at a new one near where I wanted to be i.e. near Moukef. My first impressions weren't great. The door to the riad was opened by what appeared to be one of Harry Enfield's 'Scoucers' as a moustachioed gentleman replete with tach and shell suit, invited us in. This turned out to be Aziz who is the only person who actually seems to do any work in the riad - in fact he seemed to do just about everything and, short of sticking a brush up his backside, couldn't physically work any harder. Aziz shortly introduced us the the house 'manager', Mourad. Mourad then swiftly showed us his sycophancy skills which would have shamed Basil Fawlty, so repulsive and cringeworthy was his style.

Well, onto the room then. It was light and airy...too light it turned out as the paper thin curtains let in the light from outside during the night. Great if you need the loo but not if you want a good night's sleep. The 'suite' was minimally decorated with very little of interest in it and some of the decoration that was supposed to be there e.g. finials had come off and not been replaced. There were also unfilled holes in the room.

So onto the bathroom. The first thing you notice is the soap that looks like it came from a downmarket Blackpool B&B from the 1970's - a shame seeing as Morocco prides itself on Argan based cosmetics - perhaps a small bar of Argan Oil soap wouldn't go amiss. One of the light bulbs in the bathroom had also gone so lighting was one spectacularly dim bulb and a window little bigger than the palm of your hand. Mind you that was better than the downstairs loo which had no lighting at all after day one as no one had replaced the GU10 hanging by its wire over the sink like Damacleses' sword. The classic in the bathroom though was the astonishingly dangerous plug socket near the sink which, if you wanted to use a hair dryer/straighteners, had to use (due to the position of the mirror), whilst draping the cord across the sink.

Finally I decided to pay the day before leaving, which is a good job I did, as I discovered they apparently don't take credit card (despite paying my deposit by credit card). It was highly inconvenient to find this out and what's more is impractical for any stay more than a couple of night and wholly amateurish for a riad that, price wise, isn't budget accommodation. The only time I've come across this before was when a house manager trying to rip off his owner. Anyway on the phone he told me he had told us by email so I asked him to either get his manager/owner to phone me or to forward the aforementioned email immediately - neither materialised as my wife predicted, although with all due respect she didn't need to be Mystic Meg to figure that we wouldn't see him again.

Thankfully our only other communication with Mourad had been when querying the riad's airport transfer prices which were twice that of my usual riad. In defending their position he managed to insult everyone in Europe and a good deal of Marrakechis at the same time. To add insult to injury he was quoting me the 'right' prices for various taxi journeys but these were twice what we usually paid. In short he's an abject liar. Frustratingly the taxi ride cost more than the ride from Manchester Airport to my mother-in-laws in a black cab which is further and takes longer than a trip from Moukef to Menara Airport. They do have you by the short and curlies as getting a cab in Moukef is by no means guaranteed. It did amuse us that Mourad told us off for having used a petit taxi that legally can take only three passengers...in fact he was quite animated about it and told us it was dangerous....well let's put it this way the petit taxi was as modern 5 seater car with 5 functioning seatbelts whilst on the whole grand taxis are old and have no working seatbelts...you decide on the risk factor!

Would I stay again? Well ,I think I've answered that one, don't you?

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dar Lalla F'dila? Share your experiences!