“Worst hotel I've stayed in in Morocco..and I've been to a few.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Lalla F'dila

Save Saved
You added Dar Lalla F'dila to your Saves list
Dar Lalla F'dila
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   17 Derb Allilich | Kaat ben nahid - Moukef -, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #336 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Worst hotel I've stayed in in Morocco..and I've been to a few.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Having been a regular traveller to Marrakech but been unable to stay at my favourite riad I had to chance at a new one near where I wanted to be i.e. near Moukef. My first impressions weren't great. The door to the riad was opened by what appeared to be one of Harry Enfield's 'Scoucers' as a moustachioed gentleman replete with tach and shell suit, invited us in. This turned out to be Aziz who is the only person who actually seems to do any work in the riad - in fact he seemed to do just about everything and, short of sticking a brush up his backside, couldn't physically work any harder. Aziz shortly introduced us the the house 'manager', Mourad. Mourad then swiftly showed us his sycophancy skills which would have shamed Basil Fawlty, so repulsive and cringeworthy was his style.

Well, onto the room then. It was light and airy...too light it turned out as the paper thin curtains let in the light from outside during the night. Great if you need the loo but not if you want a good night's sleep. The 'suite' was minimally decorated with very little of interest in it and some of the decoration that was supposed to be there e.g. finials had come off and not been replaced. There were also unfilled holes in the room.

So onto the bathroom. The first thing you notice is the soap that looks like it came from a downmarket Blackpool B&B from the 1970's - a shame seeing as Morocco prides itself on Argan based cosmetics - perhaps a small bar of Argan Oil soap wouldn't go amiss. One of the light bulbs in the bathroom had also gone so lighting was one spectacularly dim bulb and a window little bigger than the palm of your hand. Mind you that was better than the downstairs loo which had no lighting at all after day one as no one had replaced the GU10 hanging by its wire over the sink like Damacleses' sword. The classic in the bathroom though was the astonishingly dangerous plug socket near the sink which, if you wanted to use a hair dryer/straighteners, had to use (due to the position of the mirror), whilst draping the cord across the sink.

Finally I decided to pay the day before leaving, which is a good job I did, as I discovered they apparently don't take credit card (despite paying my deposit by credit card). It was highly inconvenient to find this out and what's more is impractical for any stay more than a couple of night and wholly amateurish for a riad that, price wise, isn't budget accommodation. The only time I've come across this before was when a house manager trying to rip off his owner. Anyway on the phone he told me he had told us by email so I asked him to either get his manager/owner to phone me or to forward the aforementioned email immediately - neither materialised as my wife predicted, although with all due respect she didn't need to be Mystic Meg to figure that we wouldn't see him again.

Thankfully our only other communication with Mourad had been when querying the riad's airport transfer prices which were twice that of my usual riad. In defending their position he managed to insult everyone in Europe and a good deal of Marrakechis at the same time. To add insult to injury he was quoting me the 'right' prices for various taxi journeys but these were twice what we usually paid. In short he's an abject liar. Frustratingly the taxi ride cost more than the ride from Manchester Airport to my mother-in-laws in a black cab which is further and takes longer than a trip from Moukef to Menara Airport. They do have you by the short and curlies as getting a cab in Moukef is by no means guaranteed. It did amuse us that Mourad told us off for having used a petit taxi that legally can take only three passengers...in fact he was quite animated about it and told us it was dangerous....well let's put it this way the petit taxi was as modern 5 seater car with 5 functioning seatbelts whilst on the whole grand taxis are old and have no working seatbelts...you decide on the risk factor!

Would I stay again? Well ,I think I've answered that one, don't you?

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

As soon as I got into the taxi and asked to go to the hotel, I was told that I had made a good decision. We were greeted by Aziz who took us straight to our room, then on a tour of the Riad and onto the roof for mint tea and biscuits.

The rooms are massive and very clean. The Riad itself is in the middle of the medina, although you wouldn't know it. As soon as you step inside, you feel like you've been completely transported to another world.

Being our first time to morocco, Aziz was more than happy to walk us to restaurants and help out with anything we need.

I would 100% recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We found Dar Lalla Fdila via internet search at the last minute. Because we could not book online due to the very short lead time, we called to ask about parking our rental car, and to book over the phone. We were reassured that we could park and enjoy our stay in the middle of Marrakesh. Murad, the primary person who interacts with clients, went so far as to come out and meet us to guide us into the city, and help us arrange parking. He was very welcoming, and gave us the wonderful Josephine room, which served us very well, indeed. The other rooms are just gorgeous, and I wished I could have stayed there too. The central location is terrific. Aziz provided us with truly excellent breakfasts, which we enjoyed on the roof, where we enjoyed the incredible views of the surroundings. The open courtyard and the roof terrace were very comfortable places to sit and sociaize. Murad arranged a good guide to help us get to the sights we wished to cover in our limited time. I would go back in a heartbeat. I really wished I could have extended our stay longer. Dar Dmana was really lovely, and both Murad and Aziz were great. I also appreciated the work of the women who cleaned the lovely house amd worked there. I wish I had been able to have dinner there - be we were out and about the whole time after breakfast. Truly a wonderful place to stay in Marrakesh. It was the best place we stayed at in Morocco.

Room Tip: I loved the Jospehine room on the ground floor. But I would easily and happily have tried the Khay...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stevenage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Being a regular to Marrakech I like to find new place to stay & this one is amazing, right bang in the middle of the Old medina but also very quiet..
A beautiful Riad and amazing furnishing.
Staff are fantastic and will do anything for you. Would totally reccommend for a quick break.
Will be returning.

Room Tip: Try all the food!! Yummy!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Corfu, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

at least that what it felt for us after coming back from an exhausting day of wondering around souks and monuments.small 5-room only hotel which despite the fact that is lost in some alley that is extremely hard to find it is very comfortable and relaxing place to be at.the keeper Aziz did his best to ensure that everything we requested was taken care off and the room was enormous with a bathroom on a mezzanine but with no tv (no problem for us though as we needed some detox) and the internet having virtually no reception inside the room (seems to be an issue in every riad we stayed in morocco).everything else was excellent from the breakfast to the cleanliness and the terrace for those visiting Marrakech during warmer months of the year.Thanks Aziz!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stunning small Riad. Large rooms and generous breakfast. Wonderfully quiet but yet in the heart of the Medina. The beauty of the place is it's design, space and true Moroccan furnishing.
If you are driving, as we were, it is quick and easy to get into and out of the Medina.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toowoomba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Pros: The staff are very friendly and accommodating, and I liked the design and general appearance of the riad - it looked authentic without being tacky or cheesy. There was a lot of help available by way of booking activities, and if you have out of the ordinary requests (like charging my iphone on their computer) the staff were kind and helpful. Since we were checking out very early in the morning, we were shown how to prepare our breakfast etc in the kitchen which I thought was nice! Room was comfortable and clean, breakfast on the rooftop terrace was lovely.

Cons: You need to get a guide or someone to show you the way to Jemaa El F'na as soon as possible in the trip because there are no comprehensive maps of the numerous maze-like alleys of Marrakech and it is very easy to get lost. We ended up taking over an hour to get somewhere we wanted to go once! The breakfast is plentiful but gets really dull after a few days - the crepes in no way match the ones made by the ladies on the streets. Some people may be intimidated by the area where the riad is located - it's a bit out of the usual tourist area but interesting nonetheless and we never felt in danger (solo travelers might have a different experience). Also, we stayed on the ground level in spacious room with the bathroom up a small flight of stairs - this was really quaint but that bathroom doesn't have a door and has inadequate ventilation (it was always a little bit mouldy-smelling or humid). I always went to the shared toilet near the exit instead of using our private toilet, which was fine. The riad is not particularly beautiful or luxurious, just quaint and comfortable. We had the staff book 2 activities for us - a camel ride and quad biking - and these seemed a bit hit and miss because the camel ride was lame in comparison with what my boyfriend did last time for the same price, however the quad biking ride was awesome (we went out in the desert past the Palmerie, into tiny villages and even had some mint tea with someone living in a village). The pool is like a little bath on the roof - it even has a shower! :)

Not recommended for a romantic getaway but great for a base while exploring the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Lalla F'dila? Share your experiences!