“Excellent value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dar Sabra

You added Hotel Dar Sabra to your Saves list
Hotel Dar Sabra
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Douar Abbiad | Palm Groove, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #390 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is a beautiful place, very nicely designed in a modern contemporary style. It's really relaxing, the staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful, and the suite was amazing and spotless. The only thing to be aware of for visitors is that it is about 15 mins by taxi from the Medina. Fnally, the price we got was extremely good value to other places we saw around Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We travelled 3 females - my mother, my sister and I (so no children!). We had the most wonderful stay here and gasped when we arrived - even more amazing in real life than the photos. Needed to escape our busy lives in London and the hotel was so relaxing with its 4 pools and spa. We spent a whole day by the pool when we arrived and we were almost the only people there. Was nice with different areas to explore - we stayed in the Afghan suite which was perfect and overlooked what felt like our own private pool - I never saw anyone else in it. There are lots of different seating areas indoors which are nice to read in or play games in the evening but, again, never saw anyone else using them! Had a hammam and body scrub which was nice but just like lying in a sauna so nothing special but relaxing all the same, and the massages were amazing - definitely make the most of it.

Reception staff are very helpful but it helps if you speak a bit of French to communicate fully. Staff by the pool and in the restaurant couldn't do enough to help and literally ran to the kitchens to get your food etc. and the barman bought our drinks all the way from the bar to our room. Breakfast was delicious; fresh melon, orange juice yogurt, authentic pastries and pancake type things and eggs/bacon made how you like. Hotel was always immaculate and there were always gardeners picking leaves off the grass and they then set out the lanterns by the pool which made it look stunning.

Shuttle bus into town ran about every hour and a half and you sign your room number on a sheet in reception to book your place on it. This was a great service and saved huge amounts of money travelling to and from the town in taxis (it took about 15 minutes). I'd recommend booking a taxi from the hotel before you go and confirm it - there was slight lack of communication on their part and we had to wait about 45 minutes for the driver to arrive.

Would 100% recommend it to anyone who fancies a relaxing time - it was mainly couples and would be lovely for a honeymoon. Being in the palm groves, a bit further out of town was a positive because you can escape the hype of the town whenever you want and return to the luxury of the hotel. Although I always think it's a shame to travel back to the same hotel we all agreed we'd love to return to Dar Sabra.

Room Tip: All very different. Afghan and Indian suites are more isolated with their own pool - both amazing, w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Goring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

This place wont disappoint. I've seen some comments saying it's not a 5 star hotel. Well, no, it's better than that. Spending much of my working life travelling and checking into the usual 5 star Big Names, I can say that this does tick a lot of the boxes you'll be expecting it to tick. But it's beyond an hotel; Dar Sabre describes itself as one of the best houses in the World, and really that's key to understanding what the place is about. The best way to describe staying here is this; imagine you're related to the Gettys, and your art-obsessed, Uncle Getty invites you to stay at his private villa outside Marrakech. Just you and a handful of other guests.

So even when the place is full, because it's set in 2 hectares of land dotted with contemporary art, it has the most wonderful feeling of easy, chilled-out spaciousness. Although there's plenty of staff discreetly looking after everyone, you feel like it's all yours. And you've your pick of the 5 pristine pools to choose from. The only thing that interupts this is the wind swaying through the palms, and the distant bird song. After a couple of days, and the odd hammam thrown in, you couldn't be more relaxed. I don't know about you, but I've not achieved this at the average 5 star haunts!

We've been here for four days now, and Hassan, Denise and the team have really delivered. I'm aware of other comments saying that without speaking French, you may find service slow. Such comments must have been picked up on, because service has been fast, friendly and attentive.

Breakfasts have been excellent, and having eaten lunch and dinner at Dar Sabra frequently, I can say all were of a high standard, and better value/quality than the riads in town.

This is my second trip to Marrakech this year. The first time I listened to everyone who says you must stay in the Medina. I enjoyed the Medina, but my advice would be stay outside if you want breathing-space from tbe noise, dust and chaos. Dar Sabra's been perfect in that respect. The complimentary shuttles run back and forth regularly and, again contrary to other reviews, we had no over-booking, so I can conclude that this service has improved too.

Really, I can't fault the place. My free wireless connection back to the office did drop once or twice, but I feel better for that! Would I reccomend the place? Would I come back? Yes, in a heart-beat.

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We are currently staying here. The hotel is quite unique and very pleasant . Even though it appears quite full you don't feel overcrowded. The staff are very helpful, if a little slow at attending to your requests. Although they have bar with all the normal drunks, it is manned by the waiter who works in the restaurant on the opposite side of the pool,obscured by trees so it has taken some time for him to notice we are here. That said he has made us feel welcome and we will be looked after. The average short is about £5 plus and a bottle of wine can be anywhere from £13-£22 the prices I feel are on par for back home and alcohol is probably more expensive as you might expect being in a Muslim country. However they do brew their own beer called Casablanca. Really nice had a massage today . The best one I have ever had .well recommended. Overall they lack the professional touch and because of that I would not call it 5 star hotel But still a great place to come to relax

• Stayed May 2012
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We just spent 2 nights there (we were a group of 14, for a b-day party). Beautiful rooms, pools, etc....
Service at the restaurant was a bit slow.... very nice but need improvment.

I definitely recomment this hotel and would love to go back during my next stay in Marrakech!
BRAVO....

Room Tip: we had a suite.... (n° 203)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I am glad I discover this family run hotel.
I spent a great holiday week in February, I was able to take some rest which was the reason I went there.
I can also imagine it can be used as business purpose as well with the space available and the internet facilities.
I love the outside spaces: sculptures, swimming pools, eating place.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable with a great and caring service.
I had some relaxing time in the Spa with excellent products.
I would like to bring my children the next time as I could see families were happy too.
The shuttle to town is an excellent service if you are not driving.
The food is also another positive aspect as you can discover traditional meals as well as some international cuisine.

Room Tip: The theme suites are amazing
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Dar Sabra hotel is located about a 15-20 minute drive from the centre of Marrakech, of which the hotel puts on a free shuttle bus at certain times during the day. Be aware you have to book your place on the bus, of which there is room for 8 people.

The hotel is fantastic, with amazing grounds and good size swimming pools, of which one was heated. The hotel has lovely comfortable rooms, which are clean to a very high standard. The staff are very friendly and willing to help, the only down fall of this hotel is the speed of which things are done. For example, if you ask for a drink or pool towel you could be waiting at least 20 mins.

The food is off a high standard. Buffet breakfast is served in the outdoor restaurant, which was simple but satisfying. You can order eggs made whichever way you like and the orange juice was fantastic.

If we return to Marrakech we would definitely stay at the Dar Sabra again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Dar Sabra? Share your experiences!