“Perfect hotel voor een citytrip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dellarosa hotel suites & spa

Save Saved
You added Dellarosa hotel suites & spa to your Saves list
Dellarosa hotel suites & spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   5 Avenue Moulay El Hassan, hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #87 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
“Perfect hotel voor een citytrip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We had a perfect stay in Dellarose. The old and new town are nearby. The staff is very friendly and all day someone is cleaning. When you ask something, they help immediatly. The breakfast was perfect, even with some live music by a guitarist. Also in the evening you have some music at the rooftopterrace. When it was hot, we could jump into the pool downstairs. We had a great time in this hotel! Thank you to everybody of the staff! Brigit and Nancy

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My friend and I managed to secure an exceptionally good deal including return flights and ten nights at the Dellarosa Hotel through British Airways. We don't normally stay at this type of accommodation, but thought the price was so good that we should 'give it a go' anyway. Over the rather long experience of Hotel Dellarosa, we found the service to be absurd, the facilities to be peculiar and the entire experience rather like staying in Fawlty Towers, as another guest suggested in the lift one afternoon. Here's our log, which should explain why...

We arrived on a hot morning and took a petit taxi to the hotel. The exterior is really rather unappealing -- next to a Mercedes-Benz van showroom, with an old table outside and security guard (in flip flops...) smoking continuously. We entered and the lobby was very narrow and smelt horribly of sewage. The reasonably polite receptionist (who spoke very good English) asked us to fill out the relevant forms (as we did) and make our way to the bar for some mint tea while we were waiting for our room to be ready. I have no issues with the length of time waiting in the bar (two hours), because we did arrive very early (c. 10:30) and that wasn't the hotel's fault.

The bar itself is actually one of the weirdest rooms I've ever seen in a hotel -- it's filled with windows but they are all covered by heavy black/red curtains, and the electric lighting is dim at best. The chairs and tables are remarkably uncomfortable and seem to be dropped anywhere to maximise the number of seats available, yet no one has considered how people move around. The wooden bar has seen better days and has a wonky, broken and squeaky door. The barman sits behind at such a height you'd think he was sitting on the floor (to check if anyone is actually serving at the bar you have to go up and peer over the counter) -- but no, he's sitting on a plastic Coca-Cola box. Seeing this ridiculous sight pretty much sums up the place. The range of cocktails is small and bizarre at best, and we spent many nights in the hotel bar simply because we found it so amusing to try the strange concoctions our barman made for us (in fact, the head barman was actually a very nice man and we liked him a lot, but none of the bar staff had any training and were pretty much useless). I remember asking for a 'Gin Fizz', which contained lots of tonic water and almost no gin (the bar puts hardly any alcohol into any of their drinks), and as it was 'happy hour' (which, by the way, seems to be every hour after 5pm, every day...) it was buy one drink get another free. Well, I thought my friend and I could have a drink each and take advantage of the offer. WRONG! It turns out that you have to buy one drink and pay for it, then you get the same drink again for free. So I ended up having two disgusting Gin Fizzes whilst my friend had two of his Irish Coffee. Unfortunately the bartender forgot to wash his mixer properly between our drinks, so my 'fizz' had a unique Nescafe quality! The barman offered to make me something else for free but we liked him so much and didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I just gulped my Cafe Creme(!) down... The drinks were also ridiculously expensive. We went to the nearby Sofitel, where I usually stay in Marrakech (I end up coming over 3/4 times a year) and emptied their bar for the same price as we could have done in the Dellarosa, only the Sofitel's drinks were great.

Anyway, back to the bar itself... There is a grand piano at one end, but it's out of tune and not playable. However, two staff members felt the need to play around with the thing all afternoon to have a laugh. They were clearly enjoying themselves even if no one else was. Although I must admit, most of the staff are very friendly at the Dellarosa and I don't mind them having fun. I just wish they could actually do their jobs correctly too...! Anyway, the toilets by the bar had a broken light and the other loo didn't flush, so not that great. Also, the patio door is really stiff and people keep walking into it (the door that leads from the bar to the courtyard). The odd cat also made an appearance which, whilst normal for cat-plagued Marrakech, shouldn't be the norm in a (supposedly) European-friendly hotel. Everything is just a bit ridiculous here, like they don't have a proper ice machine at the bar so the bartender runs down to the kitchen every 30 minutes with a child's lunchbox filled with ice cubes... The bar food is reasonably nice, apart from the club sandwiches which arrived burnt (trust me, I made that VERY clear!) but still pricey -- c.DH50 MAD for a tuna panini. That being said, there is a small shelf with books in different languages which you can borrow -- I certainly made good use of it (although they were just books others had left behind!).

The hotel's courtyard is very small -- there are never enough sun loungers in the mornings, so go down late afternoon. Most people lie outside in the sun all day and never actually see any of Marrakech... Germans (as we all know) love to reserve their chairs hours before they actually use them. The loungers themselves are actually rather dirty and could use a good clean, but as with most of the things at the Dellarosa its just a question of which staff member has the intelligence to get on and do it. There are two pools, one tiny one for children (or a fat French man who floated on his back in it and occupied the entire thing himself) and a (still small but) slightly larger one for people to swim in, although it rarely gets the sun because it is surrounded by buildings. I didn't mind the courtyard -- I thought it was cosy and a nice respite from the sun, but most people begged to differ when we were there.

The restaurant is called '500', if I remember correctly, and is open for all three meals. Breakfast is (you guessed it) fun too with a range of mistakes constantly being made by staff. You'd think after years doing the same thing every morning, they'd get the hang of it -- but no. As you walk in they say good morning... wait a few seconds until you're halfway across the restaurant, then ask for your room number (so you have to walk back to them again) to make sure you aren't getting a free bowl of gruel. The selection is the same each day and gets boring VERY easily. The hot things are Moroccan pancakes, scrambled eggs (with such little flavour) and diced potato fries, alongside grilled onions. There are pastries -- croissants and pain au chocolat, although the chocolat is barely discoverable (presumably the hotel bought budget food which only has the smallest amount of chocolate in and is ridiculously hard to find -- there is like a tiny little line and that's it. Often on one side of the pastry...). They also put some fruit salad and yogurt out. The whole fruits are in fact plastic, so don't go biting them. The fresh orange juice is nice but is only ever filled to 1/4 of the machine's container, so it goes empty every few minutes. Then the waiter/ess runs downstairs to the kitchen and brings back a champagne bucket filled with jus d'orange. The same thing happens like 5 times whilst you're eating because they don't fill it to the most sensible level... Again, I asked for the fruit salad to be replenished one morning and the three waiter/ess(s) standing by the door chatting seemed surprised that it had gone empty (I don't know why they don't go round and monitor which things are about to run out and then replace them, they literally just seem to stand around and look stupid all the time) -- the manager told his junior to replace it and he ran downstairs to get more... Five minutes later he came to tell me it had been put back. For some reason they use teaspoons rather than serving spoons to scoop it out, and I ended up dropping the spoon in (by accident, although it went some way to increasing the comedy that morning having to watch them fumble around with tongs to get it out!). So generally breakfast is a pretty sorry affair. The tables often start being set for lunch at around 9:30 onwards, so some of them are closed and you can't sit where you want to, which is irritating. Some cutlery looks dirty, the tables aren't swept for crumbs between guests and they use paper napkins, but alas...

Lunch is actually rather nice, although the food is very pricey for the portion sizes and general quality. There is a full 'a-la carte' menu (or what pretends to be a-la carte) and the service is quick because the restaurant usually only has a few people inside. Dinner is similar, only the place is normally pretty busy (so busy that they have extra staff -- yay for more talking and standing around!) and there is a set menu, which I find odd considering the a-la carte is only for lunch. Surely they should use the set menu when there are fewer people dining and the a-la carte for those larger meals with more guests? Anyway, dinner is actually quite nice there and for the first time at the Dellarosa we were continually replenished with bread without having to pay extra for it! Hurrah! FYI: Later this year the hotel will be opening a new restaurant and changing the existing one. The new restaurant will be at the rear of the building, near the current bar. I think it will replace some of their conference facilities but am not sure.

Anyway, back to the hotel itself... The lift is really tiny and has no fan, so it always smells of body odour. Why? because (for the first time in a European-friendly hotel) staff use the guest lift too. A small issue you might say, but I have never ever encountered this and hotel staff should certainly not be using guest facilities during peak hours. Especially when the maintenance crew seem to lack a little deodorant! Anyway, the lift is actually new and shiny, but it doesn't stop on floors it passes, so if you're on 6 and want to go to 0, it will take you straight there, but if someone calls the lift on 3, it won't stop on the way. What that translates to it massively long waits for the lift as it only does one job at a time. The stairs are alright, but there are lots of them, and a few windows are broken (fixed with tape) as you walk past. The chairs opposite the lifts on each floor are very dusty too and as soon as you sit down, your trousers/shorts are covered in dust particles.

So, we had a Junior Suite and it wasn't actually that bad. The bathroom should have been cleaned better (specifically the mouldy grouting) and they need to have a divider between the shower/bath combo and the rest of the bathroom, as otherwise you end up soaking everything (well, my shower-loving friend did anyway). Everything else was pretty good in that department. There is a kitchenette, which (oddly enough) has name-brand gear in it, like appliances from Frankie and a Lavazza Blue coffee machine (be warned, you need to pay for the capsules to go it in -- DH20 MAD from housekeeping -- although the ability to have a coffee in the hotel and not have it taste like dishwater (because you can make it yourself!) is certainly worth the charge). My only (rather major) issue with this is that there are no pots/pans/cutlery, and you aren't (technically) allowed to bring food/drink into the hotel -- so what on earth can you use the kitchenette for?! Although, to be fair, we brought in loads of food and drink from the dirt cheap newsagents next door to the hotel (10 second walk) and were fine for the two-week stay, so don't let their silly sign put you off. There were two sofas, both stained and could have used a clean, in the room, and two TVs (the only English channel was Euronews 24). Air conditioning was effective, but strange smells continued to come in throughout our stay -- although we were offered the option to change rooms (thanks housekeeping manager!) but it was quite late in our trip so we stayed put. The bedroom was quite good -- practical, lots of space etc. although the bed sheets were stained on one of the beds (mine, unfortunately) so perhaps they could add in some bleach to their bedding wash -- not that nice having to sleep with other peoples' stains around you! The bedside light was also broken, and the lampshade was permanently hanging off. That being said, our maids were delightful to talk to and always very willing to help/pleasant -- they got a large tip and our grateful thanks.

The hotel also books excursions through a third-party -- we did two, one of which dumped us in the palmeraie as my friend wanted to ride a camel (...) and didn't really seem to care about picking us up on time. The second was a trip to Ourika, where we had to pay extra for drinks at lunch (even though on other Moroccan trips I've been on, they come as standard) and we actually had to pay extra for the guide at Ourika (DH50 MAD each), so I guess the 'trip to ourika' tour really was the trip, rather than the cost of the whole experience. The hotel took a nice commission, no doubt. They also offered an airport shuttle service on the return which was DH150 MAD, but we were promised a luxury hotel vehicle with air condition... ha! We got a Daewoo (or something similar) with the window open). But I appreciated the driver's service, carrying bags etc.

My general summary of this place is a hotel run by an owner who is happy to pump in money, but who doesn't employ the right senior managers to give training to the staff. As a result, the hotel's facilities fall behind in maintenance and the service really suffers. It seems to be all about the money, rather than the quality. That being said, the low-ranking staff like maids, waiters and barmen are very nice and cheerful, even if they aren't all that great at doing their job.

I actually emailed the hotel when we returned to try and share my feedback with them but got no reply. I followed up a week later and still haven't got a response. Will someone from the Dellarosa read this? If so, please check your info@... inbox and reply to my mail. Let's see if this place can change for the better...

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Junior Suite when you book through your travel operator. Otherwise do it at the hotel a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dellarosam, Room Division Manager at Dellarosa hotel suites & spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this detailed description of the hotel and its services.

We regret your impressions in regards of the value of our services,

After checking with the person in charge, we indeed have recieved your email , but it was’nt a

complain only a proposal and as the manager is in a business tripe, when he get’s back he

will definatly send an answer to your proposed services.

Please, give us a chance to show you how we can be more efffective in delivering service,

Hopefully we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Errafii Samira
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Found a 3-night break to Marrakesh is at£189pp from Travel Interaction. Flights, upgrade to a Junior Suite, either a Complimentary dinner or city tour, plus a Hammam at the hotel spa (per person) and Moroccan tea and pastries on arrival.

Sounds greah huh. External impressions and the reception area are quite pleasant - except there's a sign - translated in 3 languages with photos(!) forbidding any food or drink being brought into the hotel. I have never, ever, had a hotel forbidding guests from bringing not even water. That spoilt things for us because we felt we had to rush to finish drinks or ice-creams we'd bought en route back to keep cool along our way.

Check in was quick - we arrived after midnight after a 4-hour flight delay. We hadn't remembered about the tea/pastries welcome until the next day the receptionist told us because we had arrived so late it wasn't done so he would arrange for to have it then - we didn't get the pastries, but that was good of him to point out.

We had emailed to let them know of our late arrival based on the experiences of other travellers, but one email kept bouncing back - this one worked though dellarosa.hotel@gmail.com.

On checking into the Junior suite - it was definitely better than a double; one of which we saw and it looked a little on the small side. It had double aspect windows, 'pool views' - unfortunately the pool area is surrounded by high wall so those were our views. The suite was very spacious and a real bonus having a sitting/dining area plus a bedroom, however it is tired and slipping in maintenance.

The safe was broken (replaced on request);
Some of the curtains were hanging off the rail (ignored when pointed out);
As well as the notice sign at the entrance of the hotel forbidding any food or drink - there is no complimentary tea/coffee provided with the coffee filter machine - again, even 3* hotels have these, so basically, to make use of the coffee machine is all extra cost - you have to buy the coffee from them.
Having a kitchenette is a good first impression, but not even a spoon is provided - can't see the point in providing a microwave and hob, but it isn't reasonable to expect people to buy utensils and cookware to make use of them.
there were no robes/slippers in our Suite;
the bath taps were loose;
the shower head badly positioned causing flooding - you need to position a towel at the end of the bath or risk mopping up.
There was a price list for the mini bar, but it was empty.
Air conditioning was very good and worked fine
The 'Hamman' as part of the deal was only ACCESS to the Hamman - it was not made clear that what everyone expects, i.e. the steam, the lathering, etc is not what is offered. She lets you into what's just really a basic sauna then after 25 mins tell you to have a shower and that's it!

There are a few other spas within easy walking distance if you turn right and right again, and I used one that I found on the next street from the back entrance of the hotel (but there's a rule that you can't enter/exit from the back). That salon was called Salon Las Vegas, found by accident by crossing over from the back of the hotel and walking to the left and around the corner.

Also, this may be our oversight, but we don't recall any information in the advert or booking that there would be a city tax payable on checkout - this should be advised more prominantly to ensure you put money aside. We still had some cash, plus they were holding a 100dirham deposit against a plug adapter, so we were OK.

As mentioned briefly, don't forget chargers/electrical items with UK plugs can't be used, so bring an adapter. There was also a bit of an ant problem in the Suite.

Everything is extra cost - if we had wanted the Hamman and not a sauna, or to use the jacuzzi, you have to pay.

The most disappointing part of the stay was the food. At breakfast, hot choices are limited - 4 items only 1 of which is changed. The continental selection is much more extensive but most things are not covered and when you arrive to see either flies or ants feasting before you, it is enough to put you off, so we never had any of the cheeses, and tried to only have pastries if just put out (trying to ignore whether they were uncovered in the kitchen). The cerals and sliced bread were value brands. Mint tea was available every day which was nice - as was the live musician who played but only on the first morning.

Towards the end of service you may see the staff dipping utensils in a plastic bucket and wiping clean. I ran hot water from the urn over utensils before we used them. The waiting staff were very friendly and welcoming each day, but the first morning, having taken a cold, boiled egg and thinking it might be nice to warm it up in the microwave when we got back to the room, it seems one of them reported back to the manager who quite sternly pointed to it, waved his finger in my face and said something in french making it quite clear this was also against their many rules.

Frankly, their rules plus the poor hygiene with food displayed made us decide not to spend money on any food in the hotel.

Unfortuntately, on asking when we could book the tour and the meal we were told it was one or the other. We showed them the email from the Agent confirming both options were part of our package, but for 3 days, between the local agent and the hotel, we got the run around being told it was fine, but each time we asked it was not. Once having been told by the agent it was now all OK, a few minutes later in front of us the receptionist spoke in arabic to him then came off the line to say it wasn't confirmed. At that point we felt we didn't want this to drag our holiday down so decided not to keep asking and we never did get was was promised.

For a hotel that has so many rules it was surprising there were no rules around using the pool, so we were awoken by a family horsing around and racing each other just before 7am or people using it very late into the evening. Using the pool, one in my group got a cut on the tiled steps. Reporting this to reception we were given a piece of gauze (not even a proper plaster) and it wasn't written down. Only after did I see a discarded plaster by the small plunge pool so evidently we may not have not been the only ones to have a casulty.

The roof terrace could be a lovely space, but only one umbrella is usable, all the other umbrellas are broken and could only be used to make a makeshift shelter - it's far too hot to stay there for more than a few minutes without shelter, then what drove us back downstairs was a foul smell from the vents. Every flowerpot has dead or dying plants - there is a bar area with a sink andthey were so sad looking that I used one of the empty plastic bottles thrown behind it to catch water to water them.

This isn't a hotel for small children as there is a pool table, but no special menu, facilities or activities for them. Of the 2 PCs in the 'business centre' only one was fully functional with a keyboard and mouse. The bar area is quiet and fairly dark with all the curtains pulled - we asked about the evening entertainment, but the barman said there's no music.

It is located at least a 15 minute walk from the Medina, but if you brave the walk in the heat, there is a park en route that is a welcome refuge with shading, WCs and water fountains.

It may just be our peception but french guests seem to get a bit better treatment. I've looked on the review website that is advertised at their reception and so many of their reviews mention being upgraded without asking. Also, if you find your way to their French language site there are special offers on display, but none on offer on the English language site.

We found it helpful that we were at least allowed to leave our bags on check out at midday - apparently they were full and we couldn't have a late check out, but we were allowed to used the shower & towels in the spa.

Ultimately, it sounds great on paper, but we either didn't receive or couldn't make use of everything mentioned in the offer, nor did we receive the additional extra promised, so felt mislead by the tour guide and/or hotel along the way. Plus there were far too many rules and regulations - not about cleaning and food hygiene where it would improve their offering, but too many rules preventing us from doing things; for us to properly enjoy our stay and not finding it a 4* experience all around.

Room Tip: Suites with kitchenettes are better than double rooms in terms of size, but be prepared to pay out t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dellarosam, Romm Division Manager at Dellarosa hotel suites & spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

We regret your impressions in regards of the value of our rates and our services, may we note

that our prices and our instructions are equivalent to other 4 star properties in Marrakech.

Hopefully we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon and please do not hesitate to look

on Dellarosa Website for special offers.

Errafii Samira
Celbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My boyfriend and i booked a last minute trip to marrakech and this hotel looked very nice online, and we thought what a bargain for a 4* well a4* it isn't, wouldn't say its more then a 3*. Staff isnt the friendliest to be honest, when you ask them something they look at you like you are stupid, hotel room was clean, but one of the ceiling lamps was hanging down loose, breakfast was simple and nothing special and the restaurant really needs an update. If i would go back to marrakech i would pay a little extra to get to a proper 4* hotel as there are plenty of it in marrakech

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dellarosam, Room Division Manager at Dellarosa hotel suites & spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write your comment on Tripadvisor ,

We are very sorry about your past experience at Dellarosa hôtel suite & spa. we made a point with our team about all your remarks, and be sure we will work on it.

We naturally stay at your disposal for any further remarks,

Samira Errafii
Room Division Manager,
Cumbria, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The staff were friendly, the service great, the food was very good if sometimes a bit small. They were very attentive and always ready to help. . I initially thought it was a bit expensive but had no complaints.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Dellarosam, Room Division Manager at Dellarosa hotel suites & spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Madam,

we would like to thank you first for taking the time to send us back your comment,

We make our best to improve the quality of service and standard you are expecting to find in our hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Dellarosa in the very close future.

Best regards;

Errafii Samira,
Room Division Manager,
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The location of the hotel is good as it is a short walk to the markets and main attractions of Marrakech. However, we used the spa facilities which were awful, €50 wasted. the 'special Moroccan scrub' was done with the shower gel from our bathrooms which was very disappointing. The breakfast in the hotel was very unpleasant. The final straw was at checkout where we were charged for a 45 minute phonecall that we never made! We complained and asked to speak to a manager who did not take our complaint seriously, therefore we ended up having to pay for the charges. Not the best stay I've had in a hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Farnborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel uses the tag line "A few steps from the town centre" Having walked there and back I only wished that I could have inserted a thousand between few & steps. I emailed for a vehicle to meet us on arrival, like others nothing arrived so after haggling for the best price for a taxi we made our way to the hotel. After completing booking in procedures we are taken to our room on the third floor, the lift was just big enough for we two and our cases. The room was fairly large with a good size bathroom. Drawback in the bathroom was the height of the bath which was
2 feet to the rim, not much you may say but it also had limited space between the wall, the sink surround and the fixed glass panel on the edge of the bath, (take step ladder with you). The bar area was dismal and dark due to the profusion of national flags for the world cup and all curtains being drawn even though there was no sun penetration for most of the day. The Pool was small and very rarely saw any sun thus it was I was told freezing. The sun bed mattresses were stained and the tables and chairs had seen better days with some rust. The Roof Terrace was nothing to write home about, there were many tables and chairs in a similar condition and there was only one small sunshade by two sun beds. It would be impossible to remain there for more than a few minutes in the full force of the sun. Why they have a unused bar, and what are the showers for?
My final piece is left for the food, for the first two nights; the evening self service buffet was truly appalling, it was virtually inedible and the breakfast was not much better. They continually ran out of product (this did not matter whether you arrived at 8 or 10am) I lost count of the number of times that I had to ask for various items. The evening meal improved somewhat when they went over to a set menu for the rest of our stay, this we were told was because of Ramadan.They spent more time readying the tables for the next meal than looking at what was needed to be replenished. I leave my last scathing comment for the standard of the glasses and cups. Many of the cups were either cracked or chipped, the glasses were similarly chipped. At no time should they have been using them for service and should have been placed in a bin for disposal. It's one saving grace is its free WIFI which is the best I have used in any hotel around the world. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and feel sorry for anyone already booked.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dellarosam, Room Division Manager at Dellarosa hotel suites & spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear sir /Madam

We are very sorry about your past experience at Hotel Dellarosa. Please note this is absolutly not in our habit to give such a level of service.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon.

Samira Errafii
Dellarosa suite & spa

Been to Dellarosa hotel suites & spa? Share your experiences!