“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dellarosa hotel suites & spa

You added Dellarosa hotel suites & spa to your Saves list
Dellarosa hotel suites & spa
4.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   5 Avenue Moulay El Hassan, hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #77 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Toronto
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I cannot compare it to a riad as I have not stayed in one. But I have stayed in many modern hotels including some of the best ones in the world and thought Dellarosa was a very decent one. Is it perfect? No. Was it comfortable and satisfactory? Yes. You just have to remember that Morocco isn't "home", it's probably very different than our usual lifestyle/standard. Keeping that in mind I think you will enjoy your stay with Dellarosa.

We stayed at the hotel for 7 nights. I emailed them in advance as it was a birthday trip for my boyfriend and they emailed me back promptly and upgraded us to a suite. Check in and out process was very quick and smooth. We were welcomed with mint tea & Moroccan pastries during check in which got us hooked to having mint tea everyday!

OUR SUITE:
It was spacious and comfortable. It has a kitchenette, living room area and a balcony. The shower is really small, you can barely turn around inside the shower.

We gave our maid a tip every day and she made sure we have fresh towels and have enough body wash/shampoo etc. Our bed is essentially 2 twins put together. They were made separately so sometimes in the middle of the night we would have a gap between the 2 beds. Our maid changed the way she made our bed the 3rd and it fixes the problem.

Beds are a bit harder, but suit us just fine.

POOL:
Water is ice cold but refreshing since Marrakech is always boiling hot. The pool never get any sun where it's situated, so if you want to sunbath, you will have to go to the roof top.

BREAKFAST:
It is not great like previous reviews had mentioned, but enough for us just to get a bowl of cereal or a toast. No big deal

SPA:
We had a traditional scrub and a 45-min massage, it was okay compared to other spas I've been to. But the cost of spa treatments is relatively cheaper as well so it's good value. You are not missing much if you don't have a chance to go

LOCATION:
it's located outside of the medina but it's perfect for us as we sticked around the European area - Hivernage during our stay after almost got mugged at the souks near Jemaa El Fna on the first day. There's a small store right next to the hotel that sells water and snacks. If the guard said you can't bring in outside food/drink, just tell him you have a suite, he will let you in. There's also a supermarket near Place Liberte.

SHOPPING:
I recommend going to Ensemble Artisanal which is located across the street from Cyber Park. It's government operated and everything is fixed price. We couldn't handle all the aggressiveness and pressure to buy at the souks and found the Ensemble Artisanal a much better experience. Shops leave you alone to look at the items, just like back home in Canada. You can also see the artists making the crafts which makes the experience much more authentic.

TAXI:
Taxis waiting at the hotel will rip you off. They wanted 150 dirhams to take us to the airport from the hotel in the afternoon and when I told them it only costs us 80 dirhams to come to the hotel at night from the airport they accused me of lying. When I insisted on getting a taxi myself, they took my bargain price.

MINOR PROBLEMS WE HAD:
- TV in the living room area didn't work, it has loud static sounds when you turned it on. The bell boy called for a technican to get that fixed for us and I thought it was fixed when he left but he had simply turned to a channel that worked. TV in the bedroom worked perfectly so we watched TV in the bedroom instead.
- WIFI: Our iPhones couldn't detect any WIFI inside the room unless if we go to the hallway (or open our door). Once we are connected, WIFI works fine - but we have to do that every single time we needed to use WIFI. There was also 1 day in our stay that the WIFI didn't work at all, once again the technican came to "fix" it but it didn't work.
- There was a small leak in the ceiling from the bathroom, we didn't bother getting it fixed or get our suite changed.

WARNING:
As the hotel is near a mosque, the call to prayers are loud and clear through their speakers. There's a call in the morning around 5am everyday, if you are a light sleeper, you might want to find a hotel/riad that's far away from any mosque or be prepared for the awakening if you are not used to it.

All and all it was a comfortable stay and if we were to go back to Marrakech, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion, email the hotel and they might just upgrade your room!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here for over a week and I was a bit concerned after check in as we were shown to a double bedded room when we had requested a twin (and the prospect of having to sleeping with my mate was suggested!) however this was eventually rectified and we had no other problems during our stay.
The room was clean and quiet (except the calls to prayer!) if slightly on the small side but modern and still comfortable. The air con was effective and appreciated as it was hot outside.
The pool is cold and just what I needed after a day in the heat haggling at the markets.
Breakfast is 'continental' style with cold meats, fruits, cereals, breads etc.
The location is totally acceptable and not an issue. After getting a taxi to the Square on the very first day to reccie the location, we easily walked into the town centre and home every day. A 15 min walk if fit and healthy? If not 2 or 3 pounds one way in a taxi- not a problem at all.
The check in and out was relatively prompt and the staff were helpful with any information requests during our stay.
One thing that disturbed me was how the bar/lounge area was always so quiet when the female singer who was there most evenings was singing- she has the most amazing voice and I really wished more people enjoyed her and the music!
I would stay again at Della Rossa if I were to go to Marrkech again.

Room Tip: Request to NOTbe put in the dungdeon (basement rooms) as it is grim down there. Luckily we were tran...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I'm not quite sure how the previous comments have been made but I stayed over this weekend and had a most enjoyable stay , staff were very friendly and helpful with my disabled companion. Breakfast was more than adequate , lots of carbs, but you get what you pay for. In house restaurant not great but many around the area, just need to search them out- reccommned jardins de gueliz, just around the corner. Marrakesh a delight . Standard at hotel - faultless. Be positive folks.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

A very attractive hotel however the food is average. Despite this there were many other places to eat as the hotel is in a good location. Has a cute spa and swimming pool and the hotel is very clean with friendly staff. If you're going to be out and about discovering Marrakech for most of the holiday I would say this hotel is recommendable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from an 8 night stay at the Dellarosa hotel. It was definitely a strange place to stay, it charged premium prices but didn't really deliver the top quality services that match the price tag.

The breakfast was really bad, we went straight for toast (from frozen bread) with jam and coffee. This was fine for us, if a bit disappointing. I would stay clear of the radioactive orange juice!

We liked our room, it was a fair size and had a back door onto a veranda. There were a couple of things that were listed on the hotel website that were missing such as a DVD player etc. and our chest of drawers were broken. However we spent little time in the hotel room as we were set on exploring the wonders of Marrakech. Our room was also clean, however we noticed that our sheets were not changed once during our 8 night stay, but the floor was mopped every day!

The staff seemed to vary in their politeness, there were some wonderful staff who were eager to help but there were two men that worked on reception that dismissed us completely, ignoring us and trying to please the newly arriving guests. We also thought this could be down to prejudice against a young couple (we are in our early twenties) but it really angered and upset me when he told me to go away and come back when he was less busy without so much as a please or thank you! This kind of behaviour is not characteristic of a 4 star hotel!

The location of the hotel was great, it was about 15-20 mins walk to the main square and away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. It is also close to the new town which was great if we wanted to go out for dinner in that area.

We never used the swimming pool as it was in the shade constantly which is a shame as you get really hot when exploring Marrakech and a swim would have refreshing.

The drinks in the hotel are horrendously over priced, they charge 20 D for a large bottle of water, but if you go to the little corner shop next door you can get the same bottle for 5! The staff in this corner shop are a bit cold but as we went in frequently they warmed to us. I would definitely recommend buying essentials here as they don't discriminate against tourists.

If I were to return to Marrakech I would definitely stay in a Riad and definitely not in this hotel. I don't regret staying at this hotel only because we got a discounted rate when we used lastminute.com. Had I paid full fair I would have been extremely disappointed and I would have felt ripped off.

Finally, I heard on more than one occasion other guests at the hotel complaining about various aspects of their stay. We didn't feel the need to go that far but maybe we got luckier than others with our room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The hospitality was very good, and the prices also very good both for the accommodation and the spa! Only the food I found average.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Likes: Location (shop next door and close to both old and new Marrakesh), in room safe, attractive lobby, good size room (junior suite), good exchange rate for £ and euro, english speaking tv, good choice at breakfast, solarium on roof with showers (broken), staff helpful, good air con.

Dislikes: Flies in bathroom (killed bout 30 a day), room was a bit faulty towers- furniture not put together very well etc. my partner was bit whilst sitting on sofa, pool not heated only got sun til bout 1.30pm so it didn't have time to heat up, very few sunbeds and parasols most of which were broken and could not use them, blood on duvet cover on both covers i had & my partner's duvet cover was not changed all week, dust accumulated in room all week was the size of a tennis ball by end of week.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking pool, bit noisy in the evening as bar is just in from pool
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple