“My "neighborhood restaurant", and what luck that it is!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #471 of 588 Restaurants in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“My "neighborhood restaurant", and what luck that it is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I live right across the street from Le Sud. And it's lucky I do. Despite being a relative newcomer on the Marrakesh traditional Moroccan scene, it's a fantastic place. The food is great, the service friendly, and the prices reasonable. The lounge upstairs is a fun place to hang out for a drink or shisha, but it's the restaurant that really shines. Whether you're sitting inside in the beautifully-decorated dining room or out on the terrace near the waterfall, you're sure to have a great dining experience.

I eat out most nights that I'm in town (and have been here for nearly a year), and Le Sud is the place I turn to when I want good Moroccan food. Other places have a bigger name, but having tried most of them, the only reason I can think of for that to be the case is that they've been around longer. In comparison to, say, Al Fassia, the food at Le Sud is as good or better, the decor nicer and you can show up and get right in as opposed to having to reserve two or three days in advance. The location is a tad further away from the medina (near the end of the main road in Gueliz) but it's still easy to get to... it's just a bit off the beaten path, which is part of the reason I'm writing this review -- it's a fantastic restaurant and well deserves to get the same amount of traffic as the other top restaurants in town. Definitely worth stopping by here when you're in Morocco; you'll probably see us there, since we stop by at least once a week, often more!