“Magnificent Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #138 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Magnificent Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed in the hotel in the last week of August and we could not fault it. After reading some reviews on here I was quite worried about certain aspects of the hotel but these were all laid to rest when we arrived.

On our arrival we were served a cocktail and the staff took your luggage to your room whilst we tooked into dinner. The food throughout the stay was really good and there was a wide variety of food served every night. One of the highlights of the holiday was the Morrocan restaurant, the food was fantastic and as always the service excellent. However long trousers are required, my boyfriend and I didn't realise (even though we were told!) so just make sure you wear trousers!

The room was lovely, we were very surprised by the size as it was massive! The cleaners also made a real effort as they seemed to love making sculptures from towels! This also goes for the rest of the staff, who would really go out of their way to help you and serve you with a smile. My boyfriend messed up the code to the safe and after riinging reception someone immediately came to fix it. The staff also really appreciate it when you get to them too. Some of our friends we met were there for two weeks and got to know a lot fo the staff by name and this was rewarded by them giving them complimentary champagne when they went to the moroccan restuarant and one couple even had a carafe of beer and bottle of wine sent to the room.

The pool was also lovely, it had a gradual decline into it so you could lie and sunbathe in the pool. In addition to this there were almost seated areas in the pool where you could get a drink from the bar and sit in the pool and drink it, which is definately needed in 40 degree heat! Some review on here said that there were wasps round the bar area during the day, although this is true it is surely to be expected in a North African country. One thing that did get to me a little bit was the parasol situation, as to be expected with most hotels you did need to reserve your sunbeds, but parasols were not always available. We were up most mornings before 9 and that wasn't a problem but our last day we got up at 10 and although we got beds we couldn't get a parasol. I'm not one for lying out in the sun all day and after taking a walk round the pool area we realised a lot of people didn't only have a canapy (these are fixed above actual beds) they also had a parasol. There were also some people that had a parasol each, and wherever I have been before you normally share a parasol between two people. Therefore I do think the hotel does have enough parasols for beds but because some people were clearly hogging them it meant that we had to beg to get one!! I was quite brown before the holiday but I still wore factor 30 and I still burnt in the sun so a parasol is a must, I think the hotel needs to have some kind of rule on the parasols to sort this out!

Me and my boyfriend had two trips out whilst we were there although we didnt take these with Thompson. We were lucky enough to know people who lived in the area and they took up us the Atlas mountains which was amazing, so if you get the opportunity you must go. We also went to a restaurant on the way up the mountain called Serge's, unfortunately I have no idea where this is, all I know is that it was near a lake or a reservoir. The restuarant was very rustic and I don't think we wouldnt have gone there unless taken there as you can't always be sure about how safe the food in Marrakech is, however it was amazing, I had traditional lamb, apricot and almond tagine and my boyfriend had beef and prune tagine, it was lovely! The other day out we had was into Marrakech where we really saw the sights! We visited the Spana Donkey Sanctuary which was lovely. In Morocco there are many working animals, in particular donkeys, mules and horses and this place educates owners on how to look after the animals, the sanctuary has also paid for water troughs to be put across the centre of the city so the working animals have access to fresh water at all times. This sanctuary isnt something tourists usually see but it was lovely to see the work they were doing. After this we visited a Rhiad in the centre of the Medina, this was probably the highlight of our trip. After what looked like a door in a wall it opened up into an amazing courtyard that had a pool and a water feature. This rhiad is also a boutique hotel but for the life of me can't remember the name! It is definately worth a check out if you can get into a rhiad though!

We went into the Souks in the day time also, although it was just too hot! During our visit it was Ramadam so a lot of the Morrocans had these water sprays in order to keep themselves cool as they couldn't eat or drink during the day. We heard some tourists complain that they got sprayed with the water and they didn't like it but this was not our experience, the Morrocans are lovely, friendly people and we got sprayed with the water you end up getting into a conversation with them and they were just being friendly. If you are visiting Morrocco at the height of summer I wouldn't recommend going into the city during the day as it can reach temperatures of 50 degrees and your time is much better spent by the pool!

A must do is a visit to the square in the evening when it really comes alive! There are snake charmers but beware of the monkeys on chains (not a fan!) In order to take photos of the snake charmers you will have to tip. This must be the Moroccan way of life, and again a lot of the reviews on here said they didn't like the Moroccan people or the fact they felt they were always after money. We felt that this is just their culture and it is simply different to the way we work. There aren't fixed prices on anything and they will of course will do anything to make money; it is just their way of life and it is ignorant to think that people all over the world are the same!

Speaking of fixed prices, they expect you to haggle and you have quite a lot of fun when doing it! We were advised by our rep to go in at 30% of the price and work from there so if something is 100 you say 30 and you work towards a meeting point. For example we bought some amazing hand made dominos and their starting point was 350dirhams and we laughed and said no 80 dirhams, threat to walk away and they will reduce their price instantly and we ended up getting them for 120 dirhams which is about £10 - a bargain, especially as we had seen people making these deeper into the souks so you know they are handmade!

I would definately go back again, but probably not longer than 10 days, a combination of the heat in August and you are in a complex and the shuttle bus is needed to get into the centre. Some of the friends we made said they missed a walk along the beach in the evening, but you have to treat it I suppose as a city break.

The holiday in total was fantastic and I would definately go back again, I really hope my review was informative about Marrakech as well as the hotel. I have never done one before and I hope that what I have said will help some people have just as a fantastic holiday as me and my boyfriend did!

2,872 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Having been on Trip Advisor everynight we had read good and bad reviews of this hotel so we went with an open mind but kept peoples comment fresh in our heads. We arrived at the hotel late at night, were greeted with a sugary cocktail and went straight for our evening meal to avoid the check-in queues (would strongly advise doing this). When we returned from our meals we saw that our bags were still waiting to be taken to our room so decided to take them ourselves as we had heard prior to arrival that you could be waiting up to 2 hours. We then walked to our room (number 5138) which wasn't really that far on the contrary to previous reviews, and would say that our block was furthest away.

The room was clean and very spacious, aircon worked fine. One of the bedside lamps didn't have a lightbulb but we simply took one from the wall lamp, no need to cause a fuss as it didn't bother us. Maid service left a lot to be desired, we found that if there wasn't a 10 dirham tip left every single day then things went a little downhill in terms of cleanliness. On a couple of occasions we asked for the bathroom towels to be replaced, only to find that the maids had simply hung up the dirty towels again.

We missed the welcome meeting which was at half ten, please bear in mind that Morocco is an hour behind the UK, not the same time zone as we were told by the pilot. Having read the do's and dont's in previous guests reviews we pretty much knew where we stood and decided to head straight out to the souks. (Anything you needed to know Elias and Sandra were always available to chat, very helpful reps nothing is too much bother for them.)

The souks are very intense. Ladies don't worry too much about being covered head to toe, people were walking about in vest tops and shorts and didn't receive any hassle. Watch out for the henna artists dotted around the main square sat underneath parasols, they will grab your hand whether you want a tattoo or not and then expect money or a 'gift' when they are finished. We experienced this and we found it some what frightening. When we gave her 1 dirham as a token gesture (as we had told her to stop several times) she swore at us, spat and then walked back to her stand.

We visited the Les bains de L'alhambra spa for a relax duo treatment. This was very good, however it was spoilt by the two young immature girls giggling and messing around during our massage.

Before visiting the hotel we had read that the food wasn't up to standard, but bearing in mind how many people they are catering for in peak season it wasn't all that bad. Plenty of choice and always fresh fruit available. We visited the Moroccan speciality restaurant twice during our stay and we only wish we had gone there every night as the food was excellent and it felt as though you were in a proper restaurant. You can make reservations to visit this restaurant with the head waiter in the main restaurant just as you go in through the doors, make sure you take advantage of this place!! The Italian restaurant was appauling, the same room they use to serve up snacks during the day, it wasn't anything that you couldn't find in the main restaurant, we wish we hadn't have bothered.

Entertainment in the hotel was dire, alot of effort put in but that's all that can be said. Some bar staff were very rude, we found that being British guests we were at a disadvantage, with French guests being served before us regardless of how long we had been waiting (would swat up on some basic french as this seems to be the main language in Morocco.)

Overall, we had a great holiday however we would not return. This is not due to the hotel, there are just many more places we could visit!

Here is a list of the things we did and how much they cost:

Atlas Mountains 4x4 trip - 800dh each inc. lunch (very worth it)
Majorelle Gardens - 30dh each (worth it if you have the time)
Pacha - 1400 dh for 5 people inc. VIP table and drinks all night (best night we had)
Taxis into the town - don't pay anymore than 60dh in the day and 80dh at night.

ChesterUK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I was a little aprehensive about going to Marrakech, I need not have been concerned the hotel is fantastic. The warm greeting we had on arrival at this stunning hotel set the scene for a wonderful holiday.
The Hotel is managed very well, it is spotlessly clean. The management team are seen at all times of the day and night supervising the staff.

I really enjoyed the food and I am quite q fussy eater we particularly enjoyed the Morroccan speciallity restaurant the tagines were exquisite. The food was always hot and there were different themed nights in the main restaurant.

The entertainment team are great they work so hard to keep us entertained, the evening shows were some of the best i have seen in an all inclusive. The manager and his deputy also take part here in a show dedicated to Frank Sinatra and the rat pack era very enjoyable.

Sunbathing is a treat around the huge lagoon pool, the large mattress beds are soon reserved but there are always plenty of sun loungers and parasols to go around, just ask one of the pool attendants and they rush around to find you everything you need.
Beware of the sun it is very strong i took factor 15 and 20 and still burned, but i am fair skinned. We were there in May and had temperatures of 45 degrees for 4 days we also had two days of rain lasting until mid afternoon, this gave us the ideal opportunity to go into town.

There is a free shuttle bus into Marrakech, there are also Taxis outside the main enterance (haggle for the price), there is a day and night rate, the driver will not ask for money up front he will arrange where to pick you up and the time. Our driver couldn't park where he was to pick us up so he parked up and came to get us.
If you want to see the Yves St Laurent Gardens I would suggest you go in by Taxi we went on the arranged trip and felt we didn't have enough time there. It is a little piece of paradise within the madness of Marracech. There is a lovely little cafe in there I would love to go back and sit in there again.

The Souks are amazing but watch out for the motor scooters they appear out of nowhere at breakneck speeds through the little alleys. We went to the Berber Pharmacy and bought lovely spices and oils, it is well worth a visit they have creams amd potions for every condition you can imagine. Out the back door of there is the workshop where they dye all the beautiful scarves and wraps in natural dyes, it's a wonderful sight as they all blow in the breeze on a miriad of lines.
We went into the old souk and saw the sheep, goat and camel heads hanging outside the butchers, and witnessed the old ladies feeling the intestines which were also hanging up outside,apparently this tells the lady how well the animal was before slaughtered. It's a different world can you imagine doing that in your local supermarket ?

Marrakech at night is a must, the square becomes a bustling mass of life and colours. The restaurants are all set up and all you can see as you arrive are a miriad of lights and smoke. It is amazing there are stalls piled high with bright oranges waiting to be squeezed for you. The spice stalls dazzle with all the different varieties on show. The henna ladies try to entice you to have your hand, face foot anything at all painted. The holy men rant, the chicken man dances. It is just wonderful and then it is time to go back and the luxury of the hotel awaits you.

The rep will tell you that the airport is terrible on the way back ans that it will take hours for you to get through, we were through in 15 mins we must have hit a good day.
I would not hesitate to go back to this hotel and have recommended it to my friends, one of them as booked to go in 2011.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hoylake, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

There must be some people in this world - and on this website - who are never satisfied!
We first visited Marrakech in March/April with our two 'children', aged 18 & 20. My husband 'ajgx4' reviewed the holiday - we had a great time. Our 18-yr old daughter was going on a school trip to China in July, so we decided that we would go away for a week whilst she was away to avoid the 'house gets wrecked while you're away' scenario. Our now 21-yr old son is far too sensible for that - he doesn't drink - not too sure where he gets that from!
In the meantime, we had recommended Riu Tikida Palmeraie to my husband's brother, who spent 2 weeks there at the beginning of August with his family & had a brilliant time. They flew out on our return flight, so we waved at them at the airport!
We had a fantastic time (room 5110) - everything that my husband had said at Easter could be reiterated - spotlessly clean rooms and communal areas, everything cleaned daily. Staff who could not do enough for you and food and drink aplenty. Couldn't agree more with 'blueromannewcastle', a recent reviewer, as our son is a fussy eater and always found plenty to eat, although a lack of bacon was also his issue!! :-/
I fail to understand what some people have to complain about - I think they're the sort of people who complain about hospital food!! When I had the kids - I spent nearly a week in hospital after our son's birth, and thought the food was fab!!
Anyway, I'm a 'spend a week by the pool reading a book & getting a tan' sort of person, and my husband likes to do things and visit interesting sights, so it's always a compromise. He had already told me I had to visit the souks this time - he went with our daughter last time - but I have to say I hated every minute of it! I am the most unmaterialistic person you could meet, and shopping is done as a necessity, so you can imagine haggling is not my thing! I also found the constant 'hello - English? come & look at my shop' or words to that effect, was a bit intimidating, so we managed to spend an hour there before going back to the sanctuary of the hotel!
My husband enjoyed another quad bike experience one morning, returning looking like he'd spent a few hours rolling around in dirt - but he enjoyed it! He also enjoyed the 'petanque' - French boules - every morning, and the aquarobics, and the water polo, led by the entertainment team. For the French boules, he'd teamed up with a Liverpudlian & a Scotsman, and played a French team most mornings, managing to beat them on one occasion, much to their delight!
I would argue with 'GlennSimo' regarding the alcohol - we went to an all-inclusive in Zante last year, and the drinks were definitely below par, but at Riu, whether they were 'international brands' or not, they definitely had the strength of international brands!! Say no more!
The 'wasps' - they looked more like bees to me - were only after the sugary drinks. If you ignored them, they were no bother. My advice would be to only drink water, wine or spirit based drinks with no very sugary mixers (eg. fruit juices) whilst be the pool. Difficult I know if you're with young children, but we had no trouble with wine or g&t!!
The temperature was somewhat hot compared to Easter, but with a parasol and a few dips in the pool this was bearable. Again as others have said already, beds and a parasol were available from the pool attendants at anytime during the morning.
Having spent a further week at Riu Tikida Palmeraie and with a further 4 and a half weeks summer holiday stretching ahead of me (I'm a teacher, but don't count it against me, cos I teach Maths and have spent a week in school working this holiday! + we pay loads more for holidays than most people!!) I was itching to go back!!
Now I'm going for the sympathy vote - whilst I was in Marrakech the 2nd time, my Mum, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimers for 4 years, had a heart attack, and ended up going into full-time care - all in the space of a week! I felt quite helpless as my sister (who has looked after Mum for 6 days a wk for 3 years - I looked after her on a Saturday) visited her in hospital & found a care home - I felt so guilty not being there. She has settled in really well now - the staff are lovely, and she thinks she's in a hotel!
Anyway - now I had the opportunity to go on holiday again! So, on 2nd August, 3 days after returning from a week at Riu Tikida Palmeraie, I had no problem booking a weekend away for myself & the 2 'children' for 20th-23rd August!
Again, no complaints at all - air conditioning left on all day (maybe the previous poster had left the patio door open - air conditioning switches itself off if you do this!), spotlessly clean everywhere. Room 3017. My priority this time was to top up the tan, so it was up early for a sunbed, food & drink during the day & bed early! My daughter had been dragged in for the 'Miss Riu Tikida' competition in March, so she was quite happy to go to bed early!
We secured one of the 'bigger beds' on all 3 days - I was very sad & got up at 6am on our last day - this was mainly due to an excess of alcohol the day before - I was well asleep by 9.45pm! The only other people up at 6am where cleaning the pool and watering the gardens, so if you're an early riser, go for it! My daughter, who has just done her A levels, was only interested in topping up her tan before going to Leeds Festival! And the son, who actually doesn't like the heat, managed themorning by the pool in the shade (still got a tan after 3 days!) and spent the afternoon in the lobby on the free wi-fi internet on his phone!
All in all, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, unless you are some sort of a precious celebrity and demand only the best individual attention, although I would argue you get it here!
I was quite amused at the work going on at the corner of the lunchtime/Italian restaurant, which had sprung up since our visit in July. A big crack had appeared and the corner of the restaurant involved was cordoned off. You just can't get the workman these days can you?!
Anyway, a minor detail in what is otherwise an outstanding sanctuary for sunlovers like me! One of the barmen on our last day asked me if it was my first time, and when I said no, 3rd, he said 'I thought I recognised you!'
Remember what extra it costs to eat (& drink!!) out every night when you don't go all inclusive, and you'll soon work out that this is excellent value for money.
I am seriously considering going back in October half-term - 4th time in a year! Go for it - it is well worth the money!
If you take my advice, I hope you have a fantastic time - at the end of the day holidays are 'horses for courses' and we all appreciate different things, but if you're like me and just enjoy chillin' by the pool, you can't go wrong with Riu Tikida Palmeraie, Marrakech. Enjoy!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is a lovely, four star hotel. The decor is modern but with moroccan twists, its clean and the staff are very helpful.
The welcome meeting was very good, it was useful and the head staff make an appearance which I thought was great!
The rooms were cleaned daily to a good standard (they love to make animals with the towels and put rose petals on the bed!).
The pool is huge, and never crowded. You have to get up early to get a 'bed' sun lounger, but there were plenty standard ones available. We struggled to get an umbrella a couple of times if we arrived after lunch, but the pool attendants found us one quickly so have no complaints.
There were plenty of activities to do during the day, but no pressure to attend. This included darts comp, table tennis comp, water aerobics, water polo and football. The employees organising the activities were very enthusiastic!
The food was very good. Lots of choice, and the desserts were amazing!! its worth going to the moroccan restaurant, we loved it. The drinks were local, but nice and a lot of choice from cocktails, beer, wine, spirits and non alcoholic.
However, I must stress that the hotel is a lot larger than its described in the Thompson brochure, and in peak holiday season there were a lot of people. It never caused us problems, but it did lose a bit of the 'exclusiveness'. I am also not entirely agreeable with the comments of 'luxury' although 'affordable'. I have no complaints and had a brilliant holiday, the hotel is lovely, but I wouldn't say it was 'luxury'.
We didn't go on any of the Thompson tours, but we explored Marrakech by ourselves. Being young and blonde, I was a bit worried but I had no problems at all. The people were friendly, and always helped us when we got a bit lost finding the tourist attractions!
We loved wandering around the streets, and we felt we got a lot more out of the visit.
I would definitely recommend a visit to the Majorelle gardens, it was amazing!!!!

In a nutshell, if you are looking for luxury I would probably look elsewhere. If you would like a very good, clean, friendly, 4 star hotel then definitely go here, we had a great time and I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

just wanted to let you all know about our fantastic stay at this hotel. i would definitely go back it was perfect spacious and the staff couldn't do enough for you. the rooms were fantastic the beds a little hard for me but the rest of my family loved it. they were very simple in design but very well thought out and well decorated. the restaurants and food was fantastic, the main was very good and the Moroccan the best out of the two we felt. now the sun beds were fab we are early risers and were at the pool at 8ish and got one of the comfy sun bed which was heaven plenty of sun beds to go around though. the pool was great a bit slippy but if you are steady on your feet fine to get in. i found that the culture was very nice and very respectful i was a little worried about going to morocco with what i had heard about places like turkey but with 3 women traveling alone we never felt threaten or disrespected, all the men kept there distance and were very polite and everyone was very nice everywhere we went. if you are thinking of going here i would say go enjoy and have a great time you will love it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Sorry for the late write up as I went in july for one week with my boyfriend, but i felt i must write a review after reading all the negative comments from some people about the hotel.

We had a fantastic holiday, the food was always very good, I am more picky than my boyfriend and i was never short of anything to eat. The Moroccan restaurant was lovely and we went twice but did not rate the Italian so only ate there once. The entertainment is terrible and we had a real good laugh on the one occasion we watched it but didn't go back. But we really didn't mind as were on holiday and theres plenty to do.

The rooms were large and very nice, ours was at the furthest point from reception but that was fine I enjoyed the walk. Marrakesh centre is great, you must go! we went twice and got some great bargains! As others have mentioned the shuttle bus is very good, on both occasions w got the 7pm bus down and a taxi back which was fine.

The staff, pool area, food and room was fab. If you have booked a holiday then you will not be disappointed! I would def go back again but only for 1 week. My boyfriend and I have been to many resorts and have always upgraded our rooms however at this hotel we did not and im glad because we didn't need to as it was lovely. All the people who have written negative reviews really need to get a life and stop moaning!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!