“Overall - Very good - I wont use 'FLEETWAY TRAVEL' again though..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #167 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overall - Very good - I wont use 'FLEETWAY TRAVEL' again though..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

In general, this is a clean, friendly run resort, that is new in construction with activities to keep kids amused. It does lack the location if you want to escape from the 'walls' however, unless you want to take free bus or a taxi ride (probably around £8 return through the day / double for night) to the nearest souk were you can buy 'genuine copy' items or their own 'quality items'..I'm digressing...
The 'entertainment' on a night was hilarious, in a cringing way! Think the early stages of 'Britains got talent', and you wont be far off.
Generally, we did not have a problem with the food. We ate at the 'italian' which was definately the best, but we didn't feel as comfortable eating at the 'Morrocan' themed restaurant, but that might just have been us.
It's got to be said the bar staff, and 'entertainment' staff are very very friendly, and I felt they really want you to have a nice holiday. If you have kids, then they will take them off your hands no problem.
One previous writer stated their air con was not working, I also can say it was nothing shy of useless - Infact, this brings me to a complaint I had to make..Ours leaked from the roof without realising, when one late night my wife went to the toilet, she subsequently fell on the now wet tiled floor and hurt herself, although it was more shock, but thank god it wasn't more serious !..Not good ! I went to the lobby desk, were I was told 'IT HAPPENS', and did I want to change room..No compassion whatsoever !!, I did get a 'You want Dr ?' but was only for effect !..If you need anything from reception, I reckon by the 3rd attempt you will receive it. No aerial link to tv (3rd time asking and it arrived after 2 days), extra water required (3rd time lucky).
If I were you, which I was, I would avoid the 'Wellness centre'. My wife has not stopped about how useless they were, and they did not have a clue what they were doing?!
If you get this hotel for that all important 'Good deal', and you're looking to relax, without a great deal of fuss or things to keep you, as an adult, amused, then I think you wont go far wrong. We did have a very relaxing holiday, with only a few hitches, and are likely to go back.
Unfortunately for us, we used FLEETWAY TRAVEL and after an extra 'HOLIDAY SUPPLEMENT' of £225/person due to ash cloud or lose the initial booking, we felt we had no other options..That took us to £1958 for one week AI !, which I know is seriously expensive. That's my moan over with, Cheers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

My friend and I stayed here in April 2010 and we had a really good time. We were mainly after a relaxing holiday and the RIU delivered.

The hotel is only about a half hour from the airport and on arrival we were met with a cocktail and our all inclusive bands. We'd never been AI before and so the bands were an irritation for the first few days but you get used to it.

It is a huge complex and it did feel like a long trek to our room from reception especially as once we got to the room our key card didn't work. We were lucky and one of the cleaners let us in so we could dump our cases before heading back to get the problem resolved. Unfortunately, I have to report that nearly everyone we met and saw had the same problem on arrival, but given the level of service everywhere else I would hope that we were just unlucky and this was a one off incident.

Our room was excellent, very spacious and airy with twin beds and a separate seating area as well as the table and chair on the terrace. We were on the far side of the complex beyond the pool so it was lovely and quiet as very few people had to walk past our room to get to their own. Our main noise problem was the result of the guest upstairs who walked around day and night in heels on the tiled floor.

The grounds are nice, but will be even better once all of the plants are fully bedded in. The pool is huge. I can imagine that when the hotel is fully occupied it can be very busy and noisy but for us it felt relatively quiet. There are plenty of sunbeds to go around and seating areas with cushions and mattress to lie on too. However there weren't enough umbrellas which was bad enough as it was quite hot in April but must make it unbearable in July and August. As usual there were plenty of people who had reserved beds and umbrellas by leaving their towels. The pool boys were quite unscrupulous about removing 'reserved' umbrellas especially when given a financial incentive. I have no time for people who selfishly reserve sunbeds in this manner and applauded the actions of the pool boys. The downside though was that on the days when we sat by the pool my friend and I had to lunch separately so one of us could stay and guard our umbrella...

The food was excellent - lots of choice and lots of it.. I though I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the dessert selection! It is all buffet though, no waiter service anywhere. The specialist Moroccan restaurant was excellent, but the quality of food in the Italian restaurant wasn't really any better than the pasta dish served every night in the main restaurant.

The staff were all very polite, friendly and helpful. The entertainment team seemed to be very good with the children and did a pretty good job of rounding up participants for the various activities that go on. Having previously holidayed in Tunisia and received a lot of unwanted attention from the waiters (I got at least one marriage proposal a day) I was wary of the same thing happening again. We had a couple of problems outside the hotel with some of the local men, but inside the hotel grounds we didn't ever have any issues and were always treated with respect.

The gym was small but well equipped and the spa offered a wide range of treatments.

The hotel offers a courtesy bus into Marrakech which is needed as the hotel is located quite a way out of the centre. The bus times are a bit random - you have to decide if you want to go into town for only a couple of hours or 6 hours as there is nothing inbetween unless you get a taxi home. The bus service also ends late afternoon so if you want to go into town at night you need to get a taxi.

We went on a 4x4 excursion into the Atlas mountains which I would recommend as the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful there.

Overall, this is a great hotel for a relaxing holiday away from the madness of central Marrakech. If you are looking for a lively holiday in the middle of everything then don't stay here, but if you want to relax in a high quality and comfortable hotel and be close enough to see the sights Marrakech has to offer then this hotel might be right for you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Newcastle Under Lyme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Riu Tikida Palmeraie

I spent 2 weeks at Riu Tikida Palmeraie at the end of June. I thought the hotel was really good overall and I had a really good for the 2 weeks I spent there.
The room was fairly big and was the usual Riu layout – 2 beds pushed together for a double, settee that converts into a third bed if needed, balcony over looking the pool, free safe, tv with some English channels (ITV & Channel 5) etc. The maids keep the room tidy and are really good, often making towel art geese for us to find on return from a hard day at the pool.
The pool is massive. Pretty cold but its nice to cool down in when the sun get too hot which it often did. There are plenty of normal sunbeds round the pool though umbrellas are can be hard to come by as people tended to hoard them. There are several sunbeds with big mattresses on them, these are really comfy and worth getting down to the pool for 8:00 to reserve one.
The pool side bar was ok but there was always loads of wasps flying around it which on one day made it unusable unless you were in a bee keepers suit or fully ragged up.
The food was good, different things everyday at dinner and tea time, plenty of different meats and pizza every night. The Moroccan restaurant was good too but I wasn’t keen on the Italian, when we went the food was cold.
The main bar is next to the reception area and was a good place to watch the footy. Comfy chairs and sofas, we often spent all night in there, though I have to keep getting up as they only serve half pints. The bars shut at 12:00 so you have to stock up at about ten to, this isn’t a problem at the main bar but we had an issue one night where a guy at the pool side bar wouldn’t initially serve us, he soon changed his mind after a little persuasion.
Theres a show on every night which was usually a bit of a laugh, the hotel manager loves a sing on a Tuesday night. The entertainment team all work really hard, they’d always come and have a chat with us even though we never took part in any of the activities which seemed to take place from morning to night. They’d often have a drink with us when they finished their shifts at midnight.
The hotel runs a free bus into the town which you need to book at reception. It takes about 20 mins on the bus or 10mins in a taxi for about €10. Marrakech is a bit mad really, monkeys, snakes, witches trying to sell henna tattoos, the souks are crazy and you’ll definitely get lost in there. At night the square becomes a massive open air restaurant/BBQ and the place becomes alive, there are some bars with a decent few over the action and also are a good place to chill out for a bit as it can be fairly mental in the square.

There were quite a lot of French people there but the hotel was mainly populated by English. There were a couple of Algerians, Dutch and some Moroccans which made watching the world cup matches have a good atmosphere. Unfortunately there were 2 germans, who took great pleasure in knocking England out of the WC, but at least there was only 2 of them and wasn’t like some hotels I have been to there they are as common as sewer rats.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel totally exceeded my expectations, and I would recommend it to anyone as a base to enjoy the sites of Marrakech.

Food was excellent, there is such a wide variety of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the quality isn't affected by the breadth of dishes that the talented chefs prepare each day.

Hotel complex is huge and even though the hotel was at full capacity the week we stayed, it never felt overcrowded, and we didn't have to queue for anything. There are plenty of sunbeds at any time of day, and always enough food and drink to go round!

Staff cannot do enough for you, all very friendly and great fun, especially Khalid at the pool bar!

Marrakech is an amazing destination, and the hotel made our stay the best holiday we've ever had! People writing negative reviews about this hotel are clearly those people who look for reasons to moan, I met a big group of great friends at the Riu, and all of us agreed that we couldn't find a single fault with anything!

Livcerpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

From the outset of our stay in this hotel we were overwhelmed by the service provided by the staff! Their relentlessly helpful and friendly approach was infectious and as a result the guests were naturally relaxed and friendly in turn!

When I read some of the poor reviews on here is saddens me that some people are so ridiculously hard to please! Their own lives must be very hard to remain so miserable on holiday!

On arrival we were disappointed by the A/C in the room but given that a successful complaint is all about the resolution we were really impressed. The manager was really helpful and followed up daily to ensure we were satisfied.

The food was delicious, delightful and always fresh and hot. The restaurant staff were exceptionally friendly and everyone worked so hard to make sure we had everything you could wish for. (huge thanks to Hassan, Jamal and Soufiene). The Moroccan restaurant was the best - tagines to die for! If you like meat, this is a place to visit.

The free shuttle bus into Marrakesh is a fabulous extra - well worth using to get out and explore when its just too hot! Go to the welcome meeting for tips on Bartering but my advice would be to mooch and check with others about what is a good price! We struck some fab deals because we were very clear about what we intended to pay. The onsite travel reps from Thompson/First choice were excellent! Very approachable, helpful and knowledgeable.

If you enjoy spa treatments - the Spa is a must! There are some gorgeous treatments to be had and if you can book in with Reshna - she has the hands of an angel. My friend has had massages all over the world in the best places and said this was the best massage she ever had.

To summarise - I never return to same place twice, but I will break my rule for this Hotel and all who work there. I can't wait to take friends and family back to share a truly gorgeous experience!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Woking, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I apologise for the length of this review and fully understand if you do not wish to read the whole thing. To summarise we had some very big issues with food and a/c, and really feel that Thomson/First Choice are totally mis-selling people this hotel package by advertising it as Platinum/Premier and also 4+ star rating.

I also apologise to Butlins for using their name in my review title, I have never visited one and am fairly sure that Butlins is a far nicer place to holiday than this hotel.

This hotel has the potential to be brilliant but as present it is absolutely nothing like that.

We stayed at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie resort in Marrakech from 28th June 2010 until 12th July 2010. We arrived at 10.30pm on the 28th June and were initially impressed that the restaurant has been kept open for us and so we were able to take dinner before checking-in. Our check-in took an age as it appeared that our late booking hadn’t been filtered through to the hotel by First Choice/Thomson or the staff just weren’t able to locate the booking, eventually we were allocated keys to a room in 4000 block. We decided to have our baggage sent to the room and went for a couple of drinks in the bar. We arrived at the room at about midnight, it was a challenge to find as the signage is not adequate. The room was excessively warm, as the a/c had not been switched on and the ceiling fan did not spin fast enough to cool the room down, so it was a very uncomfortable night for us.
In the morning we went to reception to report that the room was still far too warm, and after a complaint to one of the First Choice Reps we were moved to room number 2112. Once again this room was far too warm and in the first couple of days we requested an engineer and also repeatedly asked to be supplied with a desk fan to help cool down the room. We arrived back at the room on Thursday night (1st July) to find the room even warmer than ever, so informed reception and let them know that we wanted to see the manager the following day. Thursday evening was also when we found out that our trip to Essaioura had been cancelled. On Friday morning we bumped into the manager and requested a meeting, which was held at 11am in his office. We discussed various issues with him and his assistant, there was also a lady from Thomson in attendance, we believe her name in Colette and she has something to do with Health and Safety. The manager explained to us that the A/C only operates between the hours of 1pm and 2am, absolutely ridiculous when the temperatures are up towards the mids 40s. We left the meeting with the promise of a desk fan which arrived shortly afterwards. Very kindly the manager also offered to upgrade us to a suite, which we declined as we are perfectly happy with our room and were confident that the fan would solve our overheating issues and it has done so. Our room was now a very pleasant temperature as long as we kep the fan running 24/7, but on a daily basis we heard fellow holiday makers complaining amongst themselves about the warmth inside the rooms. The manager did let us know that the a/c only runs between the hours of 1pm and 2am, we think this is totally unacceptable when you consider the outside temperatures which are generally mid 30’s and have in the last few days risen as high as 43c.

During the meeting with the manager we also discussed the quality and temperature of the food, we fully appreciate the difficulties with catering for such large numbers of people but far too often we are helping ourselves to food which is no better than lukewarm when really it ought to be hot. We were subsequently introduced to the F & B Manager and also the Head Chef in the hope that our gastronomic experience here would improve. It didn’t. If you like pizza, cheap nasty beef burgers and sausages, then you’ll love it, I personally do not expect to go to a 4.5 star hotel and be fed that type of food at almost every meal. The food since our first complaints continued to go downhill as the hotel got busier, we were served lasagne in the Italian which was just a bowl of mince and cheese swimming in grease, raw lamb koftas, (see picture), lovely meat loaf with a totally burnt crust (see picture and various other lukewarm delights. Yesterday morning 10th July, they even served up sour milk at breakfast – Yum my favourite!?!? The two speciality canteens are worse than the main restaurant, do not even bother to go there. Lunch is served at the restaurant by the pool, the size of which was a totally inadequate size during the second week of our stay when the hotel had become very busy.

It does seem that there are different rules for different nationalities here, we sat outside on the patio at the Italian restaurant this afternoon and witnessed a British man being sent away from the restaurant for not wearing a t-shirt, two minutes later a French lady was allowed to enter with 4 children who were wearing nothing but bikinis, and one of whom was dripping wet, shouldn’t hotel rules apply to all guests?!? We have also noticed how certain nationalities seem to get preferential treatment at the bars, and also are able to order well in excess of a normal amount of drinks, we counted 18 in total, this surely is unacceptable.

We have travelled extensively over the last 18 months and visited a fair few all-inclusive hotels during this time (and prior to then) and this is without a doubt the poorest food that we have been served. We would honestly rate it as 2* not 4* and definitely not 4* plus as First Choice have rated this hotel. First choice and Thomson both sell an all-inclusive in Cuba, which also gets premier/platinum status, and this hotel and that one are absolutely leagues apart!

We can understand how this hotel got it’s 4 star rating and maybe even it’s 4 star plus rating with First Choice, as it does indeed have facilities that would enable it to gain this type of rating: swimming pool, spa, gym (although this only opens from 9am and is rarely air conditioned, instead the windows are opened, which in 45c heat is an absolute joke), a/c in the bedrooms, although First Choice makes no mention of it being part-time in their brochure. However certain things are badly letting it down and the FOOD is one of them, obviously the A/C and too slow ceiling fans are a really big problem too.

There is also a very large issue with the public areas being far too warm, for the last three nights the main canteen (sorry, they call it a restaurant) has had no a/c working in the evening and the room is therefore stiflingly hot.

Then there is the smoking, allowed in the main bar and reception area, but thankfully not in the theatre bar, so you could escape it somewhere, but then had to tolerate the evening entertainment. I popped into the toilets one evening to find a cleaner sitting by the basins chatting with another lady (who turned out to be the GM’s wife) and smoking a cigarette, firstly smoking in the loos is horrid and staff smoking when on duty really isn’t on, did notify the manager who couldn’t really do too much when you consider that his wife (who apparently is also a staff member) was sat in there smoking too.

When we booked the holiday online we ticked the all inclusive and adults boxes, we have arrived to find the hotel teeming with some very unruly children (There were not many UK kids here and those that were have been extremely well behaved thanks to their parents), playing at the pool and splashing water at people is one thing, but running around reception screeching like banshees and kicking footballs it not acceptable but their parents only seemed interested in drinking and socialising, oh and completely ignoring their children.

The Holiday Reps only really seem to be concerned about selling their grossly overpriced trips and do not seem all that bothered about far more important things such as customer satisfaction. The female rep here insists that she has never received any complaints about the food, but on our complaint form she has actually written that she has received a few complaints – so had she or hasn’t she??

I paid a visit to the Spa two days before we were due to leave, I booked a pedicure and manicure, to try to use up some of the money we had changed, £60 of which had been for the cancelled trip. The pedicure went fairly well, although the girl managed to cut one of my toes – OUCH (Once again see picture) – and she was just starting the manicure when a young girl, 7 or 8 years of age appeared wanting her nail varnish replaced, so she just turned her back on me and began to remove the little girls previous nail varnish, I asked her what she was doing and she said “you can wait 10 minutes”, I don’t think so, I managed to get a partial refund but am livid at how unprofessional this Spa is, and was even more unhappy when the management of the hotel informed me that they do not own or run the spa.

There have been a lot of problems at the pool with disappearing parasols, despite buying some more there are still not even to go around and with the temperature hitting 43c etc this is unacceptable.

To sum up we have not been happy with our holiday here, it has honestly been the worst we have ever had. We expected far more for the price we paid for the package, it seems very much to us that we are staying at a “Butlins” holiday resort overseas. I didn’t mention the evening entertainment before but must inform you about Ahmed, the singing General Manager, who truly believes he is Frank Sinatra every Thursday night!?! My recommendation would be to stick to your day job. The entertainment here provided us with hours of amusement purely because it is just soooo bad. We will most definitely not be booking either to come to this hotel in the future or indeed any other Riu hotel. We certainly expected far more from a First Choice Premier hotel and of course also from a supposed 4 star Riu hotel. It would seem that the hotel is trying to cost cuts as much as they can with the lack of a/c in rooms and also in all indoor public areas. As I sit writing this mail in reception there is certainly no a/c running which is very uncomfortable but the reception area is the only place where you can get WI-FI.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Just arrived home today and have to say this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. Well organised, staff very helpful and friendly.....even friendlier for a sneaky 50 dirhams slipped in their pocket. Rooms cleaned every day and 2 bottles of water in room each day. If any issues with the rooms i.e. require more water or towels then the maids are at your room within 5 minutes of your request.

Pool is huge! Though can get quite rowdy when 'Fraggle' and the entertainers start to play water polo! Please note..Fraggle can be chased out of the complex on demand.

Bar staff around the pool very friendly...if you go enough times throughout the day you do get special treatment and are served straight away.

Few nights the barman decides to close the pool bar @ 11.30pm...however slip him 50 dirhams and the drinks flow til 1.30am in his secret little stash room. Or if you are blonde, you will have no problems! We purposely made friends with a blonde so we would get special treatment!

Security are brilliant...on our last night they let us mess around in the pool til 2.30am and drink and have music on....they probs dont see alot of action so to see 2 half naked girls jumping in the pool in the early hours is probs a little treat for them. They even asked if we had a good night the next day! Cant complain about that!! There is one lad who will provide you with a tracklist of bands...all from Manchester! Im sure at one point the Vengaboys were from Manchester?!! He is there until Friday so get in soon!

All in all an excellent holiday...I would advise doing at least 2 trips as hotel can get a bit tedious! Entertainment is horrific...stay well clear!

Food is a lot to be desired....its good but its sometimes not the best. try and book in @ the Italian restaurant as much as you can. Alternatively, you can go in the main restaurant, wait half and hour for little kids to try and put 3 ice cubes in one glass and take half an hour to decide how many chips they want on their plate!! JUST SCOOP THE ICE!!!!!

But...its all paid for so cant go wrong!!