“5 star for 4 star prices” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #154 of 472 Hotels in Marrakech
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“5 star for 4 star prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

You don’t need to leave the hotel for anything. The staff are very helpful and the managers are even more helpful. The food is great but it would be repetitive if you were there any longer than a week. The airport is slower coming home than when you arrive (you will see what I mean) Try the quads out, they take you off road, and I mean off road, so if there is two of you then get a quad each. If you are going to the main market there is a free coach from the hotel and takes around 30 minutes to get there, I wouldn’t take children there but in a couple or group its fine, don’t pay more than 100 dirham in a taxi to get back and make sure you agree the price before you get in. Great for a week but 2 weeks could get a little boring, hotel staff were all great apart from one (KHALID) watch out for him, he was nice to your face but making rude comments in his own language thinking English people would not understand any Arabic, even the other staff blushed when he was talking about the guests. Apart from that I can’t fault the place, it will be 5 star next year and the prices will probably go up so get in now while it’s cheap because this is 5 star for 4 star prices.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We enjoyed a good holiday at this resort between 2nd and 9th July. It's advertised in the Thomson brochure as a 4T+, and whilst it has the potential to be this, I think a rating of 3T+ is probably more appropriate for now as it's just missing the small details which make a good hotel, and excellent one.

Arrival. From our Manchester flight, 4 coaches were directed to The Riu Tikida Palmeraie - so a lot of people arriving at once! We were offered the chance to go into the restaurant on arrival (a nice touch given it was after-hours), but as we'd eaten on the plane we went straight to check in. If you're not hungry I'd advise you do this given the sheer number of people arriving. We decided to take our own cases to our room - which proved to be a sensible decision with some people waiting until after 2am to receive their cases.

Front desk. We had generally good service at the front desk. The staff were friendly and did sort any issues we had. We had a small issue with currency exchange whereby when we asked for smaller note denominations we were given less money back than we'd given in - we put it down to an innocent mistake, but just make sure you check before you walk away. You can also book the shuttle bus into the centre at the front desk. We did this a few times and really enjoyed having a good look around. I'd thoroughly recommend taking advantage of this and it does save you taxi fees!

Rooms. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the cleanliness remained throughout the week (we did tip around 20dh daily, but i'm not sure this made a difference). We had a problem with our air conditioning which took a little while to fix (4 days in fact), but no big deal. There are just a couple of things that would make the room better in my opinion. Firstly, replace the shower curtain with a glass panel. Curtains just look a bit cheap and also gather mould quite easily - you really shouldn't have mould on a curtain in a good hotel. Secondly, they need to add something to the mini-fridge. All you get in your room are 2 bottles of water, replenished daily. However, it would make a much better experience to have a few soft drinks, a couple of beers and maybe some small spirits. I know Riu resorts in the Caribbean do stock these items and its nice to have a pre-dinner drink in your room. The amount of people taking drinks back from the poor bar was enormous.

Grounds. Because of the newness of the hotel, the grounds are pretty immature at the moment, but you can tell they will be beautiful in time. Hats off to the gardeners who work very hard in extremely hot conditions.

Pool and daytime activities. The pool is lovely (the reviews which say it is a little chilly when you first get in are correct, but when the temperature reaches 40 degrees you do appreciate it!) and we didn't have any problems securing a lounger or an umbrella. I usually got up at around 8am and had my pick! I'd recommend tying something around your umbrella so that you don't lose it if you nip to breakfast/lunch. The daytime entertainment was pretty good as well, with activities to keep you busy all day. The only issue around the pool area was the problem with wasps around the self service drinks area. There is not just one or two - but a swarm. After a couple of days, the hotel did try and reduce the problem by putting fans around the drinks area preventing the wasps from landing. Whilst it worked a little, the problem isn't going to go away until the hotel locates the nest and destroys it.

Food/restaurants. The food at the hotel is all buffet - even the speciality restaurants, although we thought that it was a good quality buffet and probably one of the best all-inclusive buffets we've had. We preferred eating in the speciality restaurants (you need to book with the head waiter in the main buffet) as it felt as if you had a more personal service (water/wine replenished without asking). In the main buffet, you are given one glass of water when you arrive and its pretty hard work trying to get another. The main problem with the food is that availability depending on when you visit. Often plates are left o fully run out before they are replenished which can mean that something isn't available for around 15 minutes (if its one the hot grill cooked in front of you) or on the cold plates (by the time someone has actually noticed). This really needs to be looked at by management - and I've never experienced an all inclusive resort which has such a problem with food running out.

Nightime entertainment. The hotel has three night time venues after dinner. The pool bar, open until midnight, the lobby bar (midnight) and the lounge bar (open between 9pm and midnight). The pool bar is the same venue used in the daytime, so plastic chairs tend to be still covered in suncream etc from the day crowd (don't wear your best clothes). The lobby bar is a pretty impressive space with lovely decor (though it would benefit from some air-con), whilst the lounge bar is laid our in theatre style and is the home of the night time show. The shows (nightly from 10pm) with the exception of 'Mr Mr' and 'That's Live' where probably the worst shows I've ever seen at a resort and this is something that really needs to be improved on given its the only 'entertainment offered'. All shows follow a pretty similar theme - pretty bad dancing to some songs (song's dependent on evening themes).

So in conclusion a really good holiday, and the hotel itself has great potential - but just needs fine tuning a little before I'd class it as a 4/5 star hotel. If you get a good deal, I'd recommend going, otherwise I'd give it a bit longer for it to finesse its offer.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I just returned from the Riu Tikida Palmeraie and thought I should write a review of my experiences. I must say both myself and my boyfriend had a fantastic time at this amazing hotel and despite always using the reviews on this site before I book a holiday I have never felt compelled to actually write a review. I don’t want to repeat much of what has already been said but I will capture our ‘best bits’.

Arrival: We arrived late on the Friday to find all of the management and staff waiting for us with a drink and ushering us into the restaurant which had been kept open for us, even thought it was almost midnight! Despite the time staff were friendly and energetic and this greeting made us feel like celebrities!

Room: Our room was huge with excellent air con. Two single beds pushed together to make a massive double. Beds very firm, but this actually suited us fine. Our balcony had nice furniture and had the sun all afternoon/evening. Bathroom fine with option of shower and bath.

Pools: One huge outdoor pool, the biggest in Marrakech in fact, which was shallow and sloping so was lovely just to cool off as an alternative to swimming. There were some amazing bed type loungers with bean bags and cushions which invariably got taken up very early on. There were plenty of normal loungers at all times when we were there but as the weather hit 45degs + towards the end of the week I found it far too hot and needed the shade. As the comfy beds were mostly shaded my boyfriend got up early to try to secure one. He got up at 8am one day but all taken so the next got up at 6am and managed to secure one, apparently lots of other people milling about at this time doing the same thing!!! Bit excessive having to get up so early just to ensure some shade. Indoor pool great way to keep out of the mid day sun and still take a refreshing dip.

Food: Amazing, the best all inclusive I have ever had. Didn’t go to the Italian but did try the Moroccan restaurant. It was very nice with Tagines, kebabs, soups, cous cous etc. Still self service, but this again suited us as we have very varying tastes in food so we could try a little bit of everything. Only niggle was that we booked the themed Moroccan restaurant for Tues night but the next night in the buffet restaurant was Moroccan night with exactly the same food. Not a massive issue as we knew already what we liked but this may have bothered others. Sunday morning at breakfast there was champagne and smoked salmon, a lovely touch!

Drinks/bars: Drinks good, branded spirits and soft drinks. Beer and wine all great and coffee lovely. In the evening after dinner rather than have a drink in one of the bars we preferred to go back to our room with a bottle of wine we took from the main restaurant. Not sure if taking a bottle out was allowed or not but no staff stopped us. The bar in the lobby was really nicely decorated and a nice place to chill with a cocktail or coffee.

Trips: Didn’t go on any trips, the Thomson welcome e meeting was great, really informative about both the hotel and the city with no hard sell for the trips. We went to see the reps on a couple of occasions and they were always helpful and friendly. We did go to Marrakech during the day and we found it to be a real experience, although we were glad to get back to the calm and serenity of the hotel. We went to the new town on our last evening for a meal in the grand cafe de la poste, food was very good and they served wine with our meal (not all places serve alcohol).

Overall: An excellent hol for the price we paid, we would recommend to others and will probably go back to this fab hotel at some point.

Cymru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We have just returned from a week in hotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie and had a great holiday.
FOOD- the hotel has 3 seperate restaurants; 1 is used for lunch and for the italian speciality evenings, another for moroccan speciality evenings and the main restaurant serves breakfast and general dinner every evening. We both really enjoyed the food, there's a good variety with something for everyone. I'm a big dessert fan and thought the desserts here were the nicest I've had from a buffet of this style. My boyfriend will eat almost anything and couldn't praise the food enough! We thought the moroccan restaurant was better than the italian because it was more traditional and authentic.
POOL and ENTERTAINMENT TEAM- massive pool, pretty cold but nice when you get used to it. I could stand up everywhere in the pool and I'm 5'6''. We woke up at 8:30 and found that all of cushioned bed areas had been taken but there were still lots of sunbeds available, however you need to get up reasonably early to get a parasol. The entertainment team run activities all day long such as ping pong, volleyball, football, water aerobics, waterpolo, darts etc. etc. Lots of choice and always played in a friendly environment.
ROOMS - comfy beds, cleaned everyday and aircon/fan in every room!
TRIPS - we went on the souks and medinas trip. a good compromise if you're worried about going to the souks alone but still want to experience it.
AIRPORT - the airport in marrakesh doesn't accept dirham in the duty free shop, so make sure you change most, if not all of your foreign currency in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We have just got back from 1 week at the Riu Tikadi Palmeraie and can honestly say we loved every minute.
This was our first holiday with our beautiful little boy (9 months old) & I will be honest in saying I was very nervous before we went about whether the location was right and if the hotel would cater for everything we needed, particularly with having a little baby with us.
It did, and we will be going back hopefully same time next year for a week again.
The hotel itself is beautiful, immaculate - the decor inside the main hotel area is stunning, very plush and luxurious cushions and sofa areas as well as having 2 large feature fireplace sitting areas (with books you can take and read, then return).
You get the feel you are in an exclusive city bar when in one of the main bars inside the main hotel - very stylish!
We arrived late on a Friday night having flown from Manchester and were greeted by friendly staff who showed us to the main dining area were, and despite it being close to midnight, the full buffet facilites were open.
I personally felt that there was a great selection of food available at many different stations every day so am surprised at some recent reviews about poor food and it being cold. I had no complaints. There were also 2 themed restaurants - one Morrocan & one Italian - which we had to reserve a table at. We went to the Morrocan twice and despite being told by Morrocan guests at the hotel that the food was not a patch on what could be enjoyed at a real Morrocan restaurant in Marrakech, we did really enjoy the food.
On every occasion staff were helpful and incredibly attentive to us - particularly with our baby boy who was always given loads of attention!
For example, heating up his food or cleaning his bottles and cups was never too much trouble
(NOTE: The staff always came and picked him up out of the pram, talked and played with him, gave him little kisses, put him in his highchair at our dining table for us - we were absolutely fine with this and so was our baby (he loves people! he is quite a flirt with the ladies!) but if you are the kind of parents who would rather not have this happen, this is something to be aware of if you do stay at the hotel. I would say that the team there simply love children and love to make a fuss of them!)
There is an indoor pool area which was essential to us because on the last 3 days of our stay, it was just too hot for us to be out in the sun with our baby. So we set up a little den area with some loungers at the indoor pool and still got to enjoy the water with him!
There is a gym with techno-gym equipment which my partner went to every day. He managed to get his football fix too by playing a 5 a-side game on the pitches (close to the pool) at 5pm every day with some other football fanatics at the hotel.
Whilst I didnt get to enjoy it, there is also a lovely beauty spa next to the gym & indoor pool which offers some really relaxing sounding treatments. Time does go very fast when you are away with a baby and I really wish I had of gone and had something done there as it did look fab when we popped in to have a look.
Our room was lovely - seperate toilet to bathroom which I think is a great idea (nothing worse than being rushed in the shower or bath because someone needs to the loo!)
A travel cot was provided, with bedding, for our baby and every day the maids left his toys specially decorated in shapes etc on the blankets for him. The room was always immaculate when we returned and (very important I think) there were always plenty of towels.
For us, this first family holiday was fantastic - we visited Marrkech and the Souks which were AMAZING but MAD! Well worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Manchester.England.U.K
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Manager meet you on arrival and was there to wave you goodbye,thought this was a nice touch.Take your case to your room yourself,we waited 2 hours for ours,it arrived at 2.15a.m.by this time we had fell asleep on the bed,not good after a long day travelling. .Firstly take a kettle,its a trek if you like your tea and coffee when you wake ,lcd tv in your room which had english channels on them
.Lots of sunbeds but parasols are limited,if you get one guard it with your life,the pool boys will pinch it if your away from your sunbed.Also some of the parsol bases do not have the secure fitting,the parsols come out of them with a gust of wind and fly around,i was hit with one and one poor man was asleep on his bed and it hit him in the face,someone is going to lose there eye if they dont sort this out.
The drinks machine by the pool is swamping with wasps by 11.30a.m. i was scared i would get stung but the pool lads thought it was funny,this area needs to be cleaned more,DONT leave your drinks near yr bed drink them at once and move your glass after otherwise you ll have wasps as your new best friends,if you spill your drink near your sunbed get water out of the pool to get rid of it,
I thought the food was good,although you did have to wait as the chefs couldnt keep up and CHECK your CHICKEN is cooked i was given it more than once raw in the inside.
Pool is big but i would not say cold,its just your body is so hot when you get in it.
Nothing near hotel apart from a shop called metro,dont waste your time walking the 20mins to it,its a big wholesalers.
If you smoke take enough cigs with you,they dont have many brands here,i bought malbrough and they stunk,no other brandi knew here.Buy them on the plane or airport going out..
Bed was really hard,i woke up aching every morning.
Service was slow at the pool bar.
Spa is amazing.
The Medina is about half hour away,you can get there by the free hotel bus,it ok down there and although you have to haggle,its nothing like turkey gambi or tunsia,i enjoyed my trip down there and felt safe.
I enjoyed my stay and was there for two week,too long a week would of been enough,overall food was plentiful,clean towels everyday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Just got back from a weeks holiday with my husband....we were more than impressed with the hotel!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Staff very friendly and helpful. Plenty of choice for food...i'm vegetarian and usually have difficulty eating abroad but was lots of choice. Everywhere was spotless and rooms cleaned daily. Would definitely go back and recommend to my friends/family!!! 10/10 all the way!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!