“Lovely hotel with amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #152 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Derby, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This hotel is a delight and the staff are amongst the friendliest we have ever had at a hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. The bar staff were attentive and efficient, the waiters friendly without being over the top, the cleaning staff seemed genuinely pleasant, reception staff helpful and the gardeners were doing a great job keeping the grounds spotless. This is one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed in and we had no issues with our room which was spacious and quiet.
The hotel offers a free shuttle bus into Marrakech which was useful and there were plenty of activities on offer, the football went down well with me and my son. We are not fans of the show type evening entertainment but there seemed to be good crowds each night heading for the shows. We also organised a birdwqatching trip into the Atlas Mountains with Mohammed Zaki of Zaki tours which was very good.
The weather in late October was very good, it went a little cooler at night on some nights but I didn't need any coat or junper all week. The outdoors pool was a bit cold at this time of year but teh indoor pool was fine for swimming.
All in all a great week

Room Tip: block 1000 rooms were very quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I travelled to this hotel with my husband & 16 year old daughter. We booked it in the winter & chose this hotel because of the Riu name & the fact that it seemed to have a lot going on. As it was the 1st time we had travelled without our elder daughter, we wanted somewhere that our 16 year old could mix with other teenagers.

Flight was fine, going through immigration at Marrakech airport was a little slow but nothing too bad. Coach transfer took about 25 minutes. At the hotel we were greeted with a welcome drink & ushered into the restaurant (which was kept open for our 10.45pm arrival). Having read a few reviews on Tripadvisor a few days prior to travelling, I emailed the hotel asking for a nice quiet room on the 1st floor & not next to the cleaners room!! We got the quiet 1st floor room, as requested. We were next to the cleaners room though which was only a problem on one morning when they were there at the crack of dawn & woke us!

The room was spacious, clean & had a separate toilet & bathroom. Beds were not rock hard like others had said! Perhaps we were just lucky.

The sunbed situation was no-where near as bad as some people have made out. Ok, yes...if you want one of the covered areas with the mattress beds then you had to be there early. But if you wanted sunbeds next to the pool, the next row back (all with parasols), or the row behind that - there was no problem at all. We went & got our 3 sunbeds at 11.15 on our 1st morning & had plenty of choice.

The welcome meeting was informative. The rep Stacey was really good. She didn't take a breath during her speech!! But there was no mega hard sell. One nice touch....she introduced not only the general manager of the hotel to us, but all of the heads of department. Pablo the manager was a rather cute Spanish man (!!) He used to walk round the hotel at all times of the day & always greeted all the guests.

Pool was freezing cold but there was a warmer indoor one which you could go to if you couldn't bear the outdoor one. The temperatures whilst we were there, were late 20's to mid 30's. Totally wonderful for October/November.

The restaurants were decent. If you have done all inclusive buffet style before, you will know that it all gets a bit repetitive after 5 or 6 days. The food was fresh, beautifully presented & generally very nice but it does get boring after a while. I don't know what previous reviewers were talking about when they said the waiters didn't serve you drinks. We were seated & asked what drinks we would like at breakfast & evening meal. At lunchtime you ate in another restaurant (closer to the pool) & you did help yourself to food, drink & cutlery there.

The "Italian" restaurant was the lunchtime restaurant by night!! Nothing special, but less crazy than the main one! Again you were served drinks by the waiters but helped yourself to food, although you are provided with a menu giving you all the dishes.

The Moroccan restaurant was very nice. We ate there twice over the 11 days & enjoyed tasting the local cuisine.

The Animation Team were fantastic - they work about 15 hours a day & there were various events arranged over the course of the day, like darts, volleyball, exercise classes, bingo, table tennis & lots more. My daughter got to know all the team really well & used to party with them at the disco every evening! They all seemed like nice people but also typical 20-something men with an eye for the ladies!! Watch out people with teenage daughters!!

Redwane was a favourite of ours, he used to come & chat to us a lot & seemed a lovely genuine guy. He even offered to show us around the old town on his day-off. He also bought me a necklace the day we left, which was a lovely gesture.

Evening entertainment was sometimes provided by the team & sometimes from outside. The room where the shows were was rather hot & stuffy as no air-con was being used that time of year. The shows were a bit hit & miss but the team worked so hard.

We went just before half term started & came back just after, so there were a lot of children about. There's always some parents that want their little darlings to be independant in the buffet restaurant & get their own food & drinks. But when they are under 5 years old, it just doesn't work. They are a total hazard & forever dropping plates of food & spilling things. When my daughters were that age, I always used to help them. Again in the evening entertInment, there were parents that used to let their cherubs run freely around the room, not caring if they knocked into waiters holding trays of drinks. These parents I have to say, were generally the French ones. The hotel was probably 60% French & 40% Brits. Didn't see any rowdy drunken behaviour from anyone.

We used the free shuttle coach from the hotel into Marrakech old town. You can get taxi's but why pay £9 a trip when you can get it for free?! The main square & souks were just fantastic. Everyone needs to experience the sights, smells & sounds of the place. I was a little apprehensive before doing it but it was incredible. My daughter is blonde & I was a bit worried about the attention she would attract, but everyone was very respectful, albeit their eyes on stalks, lol!!

My husband had a bout of sickness & the "other" while we were there. He thinks it was caused by some dodgy milk in the machine at the back of the evening entertainment room, but we cannot be sure. I was completely fine, which is rare for me.

The maid gave us 3 fresh bottles of water in the room every day. The fizzy drinks at the bar were all branded....Sprite, Coke, Fanta etc. Both red & white wines were decent, as was the beer. The G&T's were rather good too! Special thanks to Jamil the manager of the pool bar.....always service with a smile from him. Some of his staff ought to learn from it.

Restaurant staff, drinks waiters, reception staff (bar one miserable man) were all lovely & couldn't do enough for you.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again, as really liked it & it's proximity to the city. It's doubtful I will, as we like to try new places each holiday but I would completely recommend it to anyone.

Any questions, I will happily answer....

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is great. The pool is perfect as it has a beach entry so makes it really safe. We went to Marrakech for our honey moon with our 3 and 18 month old we had. Brilliant time. Weather amazing!! The food at hotel is brilliant with lots of choice you will never go hungry. The two restaurants are both very good. Drinks are ok beer is nice and wine fine. We had a few issues nothing major to worry about but was always compensated with champagne or room extensions etc. the hotel is a bit far out which was fine for us as it was away from all the hussle. The city itself is amazing you must go in the day and night to see the differences!! All in all superb holiday.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We totally agree with the “Disappointed” couple who have reviewed further down. We travelled as a party of two sisters and a young child (my 8 year old niece) at the end Oct 2013. I had previously stayed at Rui Tikida Gardens with my fiancé in May and loved it - (We even raved about it on TripAdviser). We thought we’d try another Riu hotel as a treat for my little niece and this time go “Premier“ - but this holiday experience was the polar opposite! On arrival at the hotel at 3am in the morning the reception was almost pitch black with only one receptionist checking-in a coach load of people. (Again the opposite to Tikida Gardens where staff were waiting at the door with a welcome cocktail for everyone and a cheery hello - even though it was late at night). I appreciate it was the early hours of the morning but the unwelcoming atmosphere put a dampener on the start of our holiday! Eventually more receptionists came on duty and a porter then took us to our room which seemed such a long distance from anything, up and down slopes and through dark corridors etc. Our room was also very dark and couldn’t even be brightened in the evening as the lights were so dim. It was impossible to do make-up and hair etc. We complained, but the Reception Manager was reluctant to change our room. The dining hall was manic (I appreciate it was half term, but it seemed as though the children were running feral). I also agree with the “Disappointed” couple that the least you would expect would have the table laid with some cutlery! The poolside was also busy and noisy - it certainly wasn’t serene and relaxing! We just wanted to come home!

We had so many other problems and issues:

The loo didn’t flush properly,
We didn’t always get water from the hot tap,
Our room swipe card kept malfunctioning so we had to get a replacement from reception,
The camp bed which was made up for us (as there was three sharing) was so uncomfortable and had a very itchy blanket, that none of us slept in it - and we all squeezed in the double together,
The bathroom towels were old, hard and scratchy,
As I mentioned before, the lighting in the room was so dim, it made the room feel claustrophobic,
The walls and ceilings were so thin so you heard every movement and creak from above,
The beer tap in the dining hall just gave out froth most of the time,
When I asked for red wine, in the dining room the waiter pointed to the white and I asked any red and he tutted!
The bar staff around the pool were so unfriendly - surely it wouldn’t hurt to serve with a smile?
There were lots of activities ie tennis, table tennis, volley ball and basket ball etc but it was impossible to get on any of them as it was so busy all the time.

We didn’t find the staff very helpful at all, some were just downright rude, especially the reception staff and the bar staff around the poolside. Some of the dining room staff were friendly and I must admit the animation staff were really lovely, especially Tarzan. So we are not two grumpy old women - we just know when you have experienced something horrible - and most of this holiday was horrible!

My sister became ill during our stay and tried to rest in the sunken reception area whilst we waited for our late flight home at 24.30 - and to add insult to injury the coach came for the pick up and left us stranded in the hotel! The reception staff had to call us a taxi to the airport and told us to get it reimbursed from Ahmed the Thomson Rep at Marrakech airport. We were petrified at the idea of getting into a taxi late at night in a foreign country - especially us being two women and a child - and we had already agreed before our holiday we wouldn’t be setting foot out of the complex alone! Plus my sister and I had no Dirhams on us so I frantically suggested we just wait until we get to the airport and get Ahmed the Rep to pay,. The taxi driver overheard this and turned back round and got out at the hotel entrance and refused to take us. We were mortified and said of course we would pay but it would have to be in English. When we arrived at the airport we approached Ahmed the Thomson Rep who then rudely refused to reimburse us saying it was our fault. This holiday has left the three of us suffering from post traumatic stress and will certainly will never be returning!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Seaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

As a frequent visitor to this hotel, I was quite suprised to see a fairly negative review from PatDen43. My wife and I have stayed here several times, over the past 4 years,, and we have never found any fault whatsoever with any of the standards, services or the staff. We take at least three holidays a year in different parts of the world, and this hotel is comparable to many of the 5 star hotels we usually stay in. It is not fair to blame the hotel, or it's staff, because parents do not control their children. Can you imagine the fuss if anyone, let alone a hotel worker, dared to remonstrate with a parent about the bad behaviour of their annoying brats? Perhaps parents should manage their own children?..A radical idea..........if they can drag themselves away from the free bars? As to the complaints about the food, I agree, no burgers, whelks, baked beans, black pudding, brown ale or kebabs Innit, what's the world coming too! The food was varied and plentiful & we have not had to look for our own cutlery, quite rediculous......

And as to the problem about the 1/2 dozen cats.......Please! Do get a life.

We're going back again in a few weeks, and we are expecting to have a fabulous holiday, as usual.......If the cats don't get us!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, or one nearer the pool, just ask at the desk. If they can move you, they w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here on a short break during the summer of 2010, the hotel had only been open a matter of months, but you would not of noticed, as every aspect of our stay was truly first class, from the first impressions when arriving at reception to the Hotel entertainment. The food was cooked fresh and catered for all nationalilities, The rooms were well equiped, and spacious, and the All inclusive aspects were exceptional, I can't speak highly enough of the resort. A++++

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. We are a young couple aged 22 and have been on full board holudays but this was our first all inclusive.
The hotel was better than expected and looks exactly as it does in the photos which is rare! Staff give 100% friendly helpful service I had one of them running around trying to find me some string one evening. Food is lovely and the restaurant staff are excellent- not sure what a previous review is talking about! We were there for 2 weeks and cannot fault them. We ate in all 3 restaurants and all had varied option.
The pool is huge and there are hundreds of sunbeds- yes people get down there early but we were getting down there about 9.30 and got beds in the sun everyday.
The animation team made our holiday- very friendly and very funny our favourites were tarzan & redwane. They all were excellent though put alot into their shows. Plenty to do in the hotel the daily activities we mainly stuck to were darts, water aerobics and bingo.
As for location it is in middle of nowhere but we knew that when we booked it! We went on lots of excursions all of which were worth the money! As for the children everywhere, it really isnt that bad you get kuds everywhere if u dont like it go to an adults only hotel! One persons whole review was about the children causing havoc they were loud and everywhere but they wernt that bad. Maybe we just ignored it I dont know.
The rooms are huge and cleaned everyday, water restocked and towels changed. Beds are a bit hard but not unbearable.
The 11am checkout was bit of a pain but you get full use of the facilities until you leave the hotel. We did only get 30minutes in the evening for both of us to shower which was bit of a rush.
But we thoroughly enjoyed our time here and both agreed we could not have picked a better place for our honeymoon. We will definitly return here in the future. Very impressed & will use other riu hotels although they have a lot to live up to!

• Stayed October 2013

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!