“Beautiful hotel watch out for mosquitos!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #130 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel watch out for mosquitos!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am just back from Marrakech on Friday and as whole this city is one of the most beautiful & diverse places that I've ever been too! The hotel grounds & pool are absolutely stunning! It very well maintained & the staff are constantly working to ensure this standard is met. Our room was also stunning although we had to phone reception one night as we were bitten alive by Mosquitos! When we calls though the did come to our room and give us mosquito spray which did help but just be careful even if you only notice one or two call right away! The food was a bit repetitive and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it but I am quite a fussy eater & also for the money you can't really complain. The entertainment at night was awful, we found ourselves getting the 7 o'clock shuttle bus and a taxi home but if you opt for this pay the taxi driver the correct money which should be no more than 150 dirham! We had no change one night and the taxi driver away trying to con us with the incorrect money. We done 4 excursions which were amazing! The cascades of Ozud, history of Marrakech, the souks and the gardens. The cascades is a must see! And the gardens! The souks was also a pretty good one although the history was a bit boring... Also I was ver worries before I came about covering my shoulders and knees but this is not a all compulsory so don't worry. On a whole marrakech was one of the best weeks of my life! Just watch out or Mosquitos & flies!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

2,773 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Riu in May, and upgraded our room to a suite which was great. There was loads of room and plenty of storage etc.
The hotel itself has nothing to offer outside of the complex, so you do need to rely on Taxi's to get you about. But the hotel had everything we needed for the 5 days we were there.

The swimming pool was freezing and we couldn't really go in it, but they did have an indoor pool which we used with our 3 year old daughter. They also had a kids club which i took my daughter along too, but most of the toys were broken or missing part too.

The food was very samey but had a good selection, i think the best meal was breakfast!

We went into Marrakech for a day and hired a guide to take us round which was really good. The hotel provides a bus service to take you into Marrakech town and back to the hotel which is a really good service.

The evening entertainment is very samey - with the kids club at the begining of the night and then live music.

Overall a nice hotel, but could have done with a bit more to do and see outside of the hotel for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Fair play the hotel is amazingly well maintained, the staff are friendly, the animation team I have to say are brilliant in the daytime but the evening entertainment was dreadful. The same 2 people doing a set in the outside bar in the evening and not even knowing what set or songs they were doing. We went to watch the shows and walked out after 10mins!
Our air con didn't work properly and they attended straight away but it we were told that was how good it was, so we accepted being warm at night until we went into another room to find it much cooler but only on the last day! My other half didn't really like the food but I found a good choice and ate loads.
I would recommend this hotel if you want to relax in boiling hot weather but not go anywhere.

• Stayed June 2013
Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel was absolutely amazing. You really get a wow factor when you walk into reception which doesn't stop until you get to your room!
The food was incredible. So much choice and everything cooked perfectly. We tried both the themed restaurants but found the Italian quite disappointing (the Italian themed night in the main restuarant actually served better food!) The Morroccan restaurant is well worth a visit though and we both throughly enjoyed it.
Sometimes we struggled to find a space by the pool but that was more from pickiness than anything else. Some of the beds were broken but putting two broken ones together fixed that problem! The hotel has a complimentary towel service for pool towels which you can change each day. Saves space in the luggage for other stuff!
The pool was pristine and the perfect temperature for cooling down from the hot days.
In fact the whole hotel was pristine, the staff never seemed to stop tidying, gardening and fixing things!
Everyone was lovely, from the waiters, bar staff, reception to the entertainment team. The entertainment team were amazing, they never lacked for energy and the shows at night were hilarious. As long as you weren't expecting 5 star entertainment and enjoyed a laugh you'd enjoy the show they put on.
We had a couple of problems with the room and getting our luggage to the room (you don't have to let them take your bags which I didn't realise and sat waiting for an hour until they brought it up). Once we reported anything to reception they sorted it straight away.
We didn't really have to queue for anything here. Everyone was grateful if we tipped, they didn't expect it at all.
The hotel is perfect if you want a hot, gorgeous place to lie by the pool for the week. The free shuttle bus to the old town is a bit infrequent but worth using. We explored the souks and found them interesting though a bit intimidating and selling some naff stuff alongside the good, like any market really. If you want to explore the true part of Marrakech then I wouldn't recommend this hotel as it is a bit out of the way, but if you enjoy 5* quality and paradise in one place then definitely go here. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited this hotel/resort in July.I can't say anything bad about this hotel. The staff is amazing. Each and every one of them are very very nice and not in a fake way. I felt welcome from the first minute we arrived. Most of the staff is very funny too and they like to joke around. But they are all very professional too.
We traveled with Thomson and our agent was very helpful. Only some of the organised trips they offer are very poor and overpriced. The trip that we did was the 'Essaouira' trip. Which was very good value. It was about 30 pounds each, but we booked it in advance. And you get a nice tour to and in Essaouira with a lovely guide. This one I would recommend. Also the shuttle bus to the city is very good. Always on time. We used it quite a few times.
Our room was great. Very big and a very nice balcony. Every morning they cleaned it very well and if you leave a tip they will put extra effort into the decoration. The beds were very comfortable.
The swimmingpool was very clean and perfect temperature. Probably because it was very hot so the water wasn't cold. They serve alcohol all day, so it was nice to enjoy your day at the pool with a nice drink. The cocktails were very rich and very nice! They even made Mojitos with fresh mint.
The food was very good too. I am still suprised that even the buffet was good and had a lot of taste. The dishes changed every day which was very nice. Also there was an Italian and a Moroccan restaurant in the hotel, which were also free but you had to book for them. The Italian restaurant wasn't that good but the Moroccan restaurant was brilliant! It was even better than the Moroccan food in the restaurants on Jemaa el Fna, the main square in Marrakech.
We definitely want to come back here again. Such a beautiful place and perfect for relaxing and fun!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well my husband and I have just returned from a week at the Riu and have thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit it was very hot! This will have to go in two parts I think.

The Thompsons Experience
We were collected promptly from the airport, check your name off with the rep and jump on the bus, with a quick intro speech and onto the hotel. They arranged a 10 am meeting the following day but we slept in due to the late flight and missed it however the reps are available in the morning (10am) and around 5pm in the afternoon each day and to ask questions of etc. We didn't do any of the trips with Thompsons but I didn't hear of any complaints and they are on hand to ask questions about bars, nightclubs?? and restaurants.

The hotel
The hotel is set in the Palmeraie area of Marrekech which is a new palm tree resort area, it is not within walking distance of the city centre and the closest thing to walk to is a large supermarket. It is a newly built resort area, with new apartments and golf course etc - described as the Beverly Hills of Marrekech!!
The hotel is really nicely set out, with a lounge bar, the lobby has lots of seating, an evening bar where the entertainment is and an outside evening bar with seating, and a day time bar by the pool.

The drinks
The pool bars are not set in the pool (as I heard someone say they were disappointed they couldn't swim up to it!) you do have to walk a few metres to get your drink from the pool!!
The beer and spirits are a little understrength from what we would ususally get in the UK but not complaints. They do loads of different cocktails, even non alcoholic ones too, the wine was fine too, certainly plenty of it and you can ask for 'stronger' cocktails or order an extra spirit over ice if you feel they are a bit weak! The restaurant has beer on tap and wine poured out ready. We actually took a bottle of red and white from home in our suitcase (it travelled well!) to have in our room which was quite nice on the odd evening we went to our room early or even a pre dinner drink whilst we were getting ready. Although they will let you order a couple of drinks each and you could take them back to your room too.

The food
This really was the highlight of our holiday and so much better than expected - there really is something for everyone. It did sadden me to see so many greedy people - tending to be the British more often, who would pile their plate up and then taste it and say they didn't like it, leave it and go get more - I did find that bit rude, especially as you can try a little and keep going back.
The breakfast was from around 7am-1030am each day and had everything you could ask for from a cold meats and cheese breakfast, to fruit salad to a full cooked breakfast. The trouble for me was trying to stop eating!
Lunch is served in the Italian restaurant near the pool from 1200-1530 hrs and can be taken indoors in the air con or out on the shaded veranda. They had barbequed meat and buns, Paninis, Moroccan food, salads, chips, pasta - and the puddings were amazing!
Dinner provides three options - the main restaurant and two further bookable restaurants - the Italian and the Moroccan - both of these were excellent.
I think the trick to keeping the all you can eat buffets interesting is to pick a theme, or a main meal and stick to it and have something different next time as opposed to mixing up your themes on one plate, otherwise its kind of the same each time - you end up with pizza and cous cous!

The room location
I had emailed the hotel prior to travel to ask for a first floor room, in a quiet area as I had read about it being a bit noisy by the pool area. The hotel promptly replied staying they would do their best to accommodate us and they did! We stayed in room 1102 which was facing in towards a court yard and was nice and quiet. it got sun most of the day but to be honest it was a little hot to sit out on the balcony from about 9.30am onwards until evening! The music and poolside entertainment stops in the even at around 2300 hours/midnight so I imagine it may be a tad noisy if you were right by it but we couldn't really hear it on the odd night we went to bed early.

The room facilities
The maids are very good and do a thorough clean down each day, mopping the floors, changing towels, replenishing everything and even a bit of creative towel and blanket art to boot!!
- there are mini soaps, shampoo sachets, and a bonnet du douche! provided each day
- a small hairdryer is provided in the bathroom, it was adequate for my bobbed fine hair but might not suffice longer thicker hair.
- clean towels can be provided at your request each day
- two large bottles of water are provided each day
- there is a good sized mini fridge which we filled with our water, aftersun and even a bottle of milk for a teas and coffees (we took our own water bottle and asked the hotel to fill it with cold milk to have in our room)
- there is no tea and coffee facilities in the room so we took a travel kettle, tea bags etc and some travel cups and as mentioned got milk from the hotel. They will also let you use some hotel cups and saucers from the bar if you don't take them with you.
- the tv has bbc1 and itv which is quite nice for a quiet moment and cooling off - plus its nice to find something in English if you wanted an early night.

The Pool
The pool was massive and never overly full however there was 'towel wars' - as it was so hot people either wanted their prime location or some shade and people were getting up earlier and earlier to secure it - I heard of some people setting their alarms and getting up at 6 to get a space and going back to bed! They say at the hotel they will remove them if you start doing this but I didn't see evidence of the removal and have to confess I may have popped out at 730 to get a space (in the shade to hide a burnt husband!).
A tip - buy a lilo in the uk - it was a god send to be able to float around on it with your feet dangling in the water - they cost £25 yes £25 in the shop! we got one for £10 in marrekech but they are so much cheaper at home.

The Free Bus
The free bus provided by the hotel can be booked in advanced, usually the day before to secure a space, but we didn't find it full and on one occasion we were the only ones on it! They give you a token and you state your departure and return times, but there didn't seem to be any issues with you jumping on an earlier one.
It departs from outside the hotel at 10,11,1430,1600,1800 and 1900
It returns from the main square at 1250, 1500, 1720, 1830, 2000
the journey takes about 25 mins max and the bus is air con (ideal in the heat we experienced!)
You can always get a petit taxi (takes 3 people) and I think they queue up outside the hotel or wait for your custom in the main square (these type of taxis, a small hatchback are smaller than the more expensive Mercedes taxis which take 5 people) - apparently these cost about 100dh in the day and 150dh in the evening each way.

The nightlife
We went out a couple of times to look for somewhere to have a beer and although we found three places, it is relatively 'dry'! The main square is described as being somewhere to watch the evening world go by however they cant sell alcohol as it is in sight of the mosque, so usually headed back at 630pm each time so we could have a drink in the hotel. I did hear of people wanting find nightclubs and although I did hear the reps mentioning a few, I imagine the taxis between the bars would be about 100dh each journey and beers are about £5 for a small bottle! Its not really a clubbing location!

The service
The staff were wonderful and couldn't be faulted. They did however allow smoking in all the bars which I didn't like and would have liked to have changed so that is why I only gave it a 4 out of 5 and not 5.

In summary, all in all this was a fabulous trip and a great experience, especially as our first time doing an all inclusive. If you take it was a relaxing break and are happy to just chill with a little light sight seeing then it is for you.

If you want to know any more (I am sure there are things I've not mentioned!) please contact me.

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance regarding your choice of room (patio or balcony), let them know if you ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited this hotel for one week and we was a little sure on what to expect as we has never visited Morocco before and had not known anyone who had but we were quickly put at ease as soon as we arrived at the hotel.
Ignore any negative reviews as the hotel was lovely.
As soon as we arrived we were taken straight to the restaurant (we arrived late and they had opened the restaurant late just for us) where staff were waiting to serve us food and wine.
After we had checked in we had the option of going for a drink whilst they took our suitcases to our rooms or you could take them yourselves.
When we first saw our room I couldn't believe how large it was. We had a beautiful view of the gardens, it had a separate toilet and bath/ shower rooms. We did have a problem with our safe but we rang reception and there was someone there in 5 minutes. The maids were brilliant, the rooms and sheets were cleaned/ changed everyday and they always made us different animals/ designs out of the towels and bed sheets.
All the staff was fantastic and really friendly. They would do anything for you and you wasn't pressured into tipping. They had English, French and Spanish speaking staff.
The food was just as lovely. I was worried they would serve a large amount of Moroccan food and my husband would struggle as he is a picky eater but the range of food was fantastic - they served 4 Moroccan dishes, salad bar, at least 5-10 different hot dishes and beautiful deserts and unlimited ice cream. They had two separate restaurants - breakfast and evening meal was served near reception and dinner time was near the pool.
The Moroccan and Italian restaurant are definatley worth visiting and you aren't limited on how many times you can go. We went to the Italian for my birthday and they set us up a table with candles, roses and free champagne. They also baked me a cake and the whole staff sung to me which I thought was lovely.
I was slightly worried to hear they had cats, frogs, lizards etc there but the cats were so friendly and never pestered you. We never saw any lizards although a few people on here said they had and we only saw the frogs on a night around the ponds which were nowhere near the rooms.
The pool was fantastic and was always been cleaned. I liked that it had a ramp to get into the pool as I am conscious of having to climb down steps and the pool only got as deep as your shoulder. They were two pool bars one opening at 10am and the other at 12pm.
The evening entertainment was fantastic and they had different entertainment to suit children and adults.
The trips were brilliant. We did a trip to the souks and the market which was done through the day. We really enjoyed it but it was definatley too warm. We did return in the evening by horse and carriage and that was rally nice. The market was a compleey different experience and I thought much better (just be careful of the children and women trying to sell tissues and henna tattoos they are quite demanding). They served freshly squeezed orange juice in the market and it was to die for.
I would definatley recommend this hotel and I believe people only find faults if they really want something to complain about.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!