“Paradise in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #130 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Paradise in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel was absolutely amazing. You really get a wow factor when you walk into reception which doesn't stop until you get to your room!
The food was incredible. So much choice and everything cooked perfectly. We tried both the themed restaurants but found the Italian quite disappointing (the Italian themed night in the main restuarant actually served better food!) The Morroccan restaurant is well worth a visit though and we both throughly enjoyed it.
Sometimes we struggled to find a space by the pool but that was more from pickiness than anything else. Some of the beds were broken but putting two broken ones together fixed that problem! The hotel has a complimentary towel service for pool towels which you can change each day. Saves space in the luggage for other stuff!
The pool was pristine and the perfect temperature for cooling down from the hot days.
In fact the whole hotel was pristine, the staff never seemed to stop tidying, gardening and fixing things!
Everyone was lovely, from the waiters, bar staff, reception to the entertainment team. The entertainment team were amazing, they never lacked for energy and the shows at night were hilarious. As long as you weren't expecting 5 star entertainment and enjoyed a laugh you'd enjoy the show they put on.
We had a couple of problems with the room and getting our luggage to the room (you don't have to let them take your bags which I didn't realise and sat waiting for an hour until they brought it up). Once we reported anything to reception they sorted it straight away.
We didn't really have to queue for anything here. Everyone was grateful if we tipped, they didn't expect it at all.
The hotel is perfect if you want a hot, gorgeous place to lie by the pool for the week. The free shuttle bus to the old town is a bit infrequent but worth using. We explored the souks and found them interesting though a bit intimidating and selling some naff stuff alongside the good, like any market really. If you want to explore the true part of Marrakech then I wouldn't recommend this hotel as it is a bit out of the way, but if you enjoy 5* quality and paradise in one place then definitely go here. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

2,775 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited this hotel/resort in July.I can't say anything bad about this hotel. The staff is amazing. Each and every one of them are very very nice and not in a fake way. I felt welcome from the first minute we arrived. Most of the staff is very funny too and they like to joke around. But they are all very professional too.
We traveled with Thomson and our agent was very helpful. Only some of the organised trips they offer are very poor and overpriced. The trip that we did was the 'Essaouira' trip. Which was very good value. It was about 30 pounds each, but we booked it in advance. And you get a nice tour to and in Essaouira with a lovely guide. This one I would recommend. Also the shuttle bus to the city is very good. Always on time. We used it quite a few times.
Our room was great. Very big and a very nice balcony. Every morning they cleaned it very well and if you leave a tip they will put extra effort into the decoration. The beds were very comfortable.
The swimmingpool was very clean and perfect temperature. Probably because it was very hot so the water wasn't cold. They serve alcohol all day, so it was nice to enjoy your day at the pool with a nice drink. The cocktails were very rich and very nice! They even made Mojitos with fresh mint.
The food was very good too. I am still suprised that even the buffet was good and had a lot of taste. The dishes changed every day which was very nice. Also there was an Italian and a Moroccan restaurant in the hotel, which were also free but you had to book for them. The Italian restaurant wasn't that good but the Moroccan restaurant was brilliant! It was even better than the Moroccan food in the restaurants on Jemaa el Fna, the main square in Marrakech.
We definitely want to come back here again. Such a beautiful place and perfect for relaxing and fun!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well my husband and I have just returned from a week at the Riu and have thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit it was very hot! This will have to go in two parts I think.

The Thompsons Experience
We were collected promptly from the airport, check your name off with the rep and jump on the bus, with a quick intro speech and onto the hotel. They arranged a 10 am meeting the following day but we slept in due to the late flight and missed it however the reps are available in the morning (10am) and around 5pm in the afternoon each day and to ask questions of etc. We didn't do any of the trips with Thompsons but I didn't hear of any complaints and they are on hand to ask questions about bars, nightclubs?? and restaurants.

The hotel
The hotel is set in the Palmeraie area of Marrekech which is a new palm tree resort area, it is not within walking distance of the city centre and the closest thing to walk to is a large supermarket. It is a newly built resort area, with new apartments and golf course etc - described as the Beverly Hills of Marrekech!!
The hotel is really nicely set out, with a lounge bar, the lobby has lots of seating, an evening bar where the entertainment is and an outside evening bar with seating, and a day time bar by the pool.

The drinks
The pool bars are not set in the pool (as I heard someone say they were disappointed they couldn't swim up to it!) you do have to walk a few metres to get your drink from the pool!!
The beer and spirits are a little understrength from what we would ususally get in the UK but not complaints. They do loads of different cocktails, even non alcoholic ones too, the wine was fine too, certainly plenty of it and you can ask for 'stronger' cocktails or order an extra spirit over ice if you feel they are a bit weak! The restaurant has beer on tap and wine poured out ready. We actually took a bottle of red and white from home in our suitcase (it travelled well!) to have in our room which was quite nice on the odd evening we went to our room early or even a pre dinner drink whilst we were getting ready. Although they will let you order a couple of drinks each and you could take them back to your room too.

The food
This really was the highlight of our holiday and so much better than expected - there really is something for everyone. It did sadden me to see so many greedy people - tending to be the British more often, who would pile their plate up and then taste it and say they didn't like it, leave it and go get more - I did find that bit rude, especially as you can try a little and keep going back.
The breakfast was from around 7am-1030am each day and had everything you could ask for from a cold meats and cheese breakfast, to fruit salad to a full cooked breakfast. The trouble for me was trying to stop eating!
Lunch is served in the Italian restaurant near the pool from 1200-1530 hrs and can be taken indoors in the air con or out on the shaded veranda. They had barbequed meat and buns, Paninis, Moroccan food, salads, chips, pasta - and the puddings were amazing!
Dinner provides three options - the main restaurant and two further bookable restaurants - the Italian and the Moroccan - both of these were excellent.
I think the trick to keeping the all you can eat buffets interesting is to pick a theme, or a main meal and stick to it and have something different next time as opposed to mixing up your themes on one plate, otherwise its kind of the same each time - you end up with pizza and cous cous!

The room location
I had emailed the hotel prior to travel to ask for a first floor room, in a quiet area as I had read about it being a bit noisy by the pool area. The hotel promptly replied staying they would do their best to accommodate us and they did! We stayed in room 1102 which was facing in towards a court yard and was nice and quiet. it got sun most of the day but to be honest it was a little hot to sit out on the balcony from about 9.30am onwards until evening! The music and poolside entertainment stops in the even at around 2300 hours/midnight so I imagine it may be a tad noisy if you were right by it but we couldn't really hear it on the odd night we went to bed early.

The room facilities
The maids are very good and do a thorough clean down each day, mopping the floors, changing towels, replenishing everything and even a bit of creative towel and blanket art to boot!!
- there are mini soaps, shampoo sachets, and a bonnet du douche! provided each day
- a small hairdryer is provided in the bathroom, it was adequate for my bobbed fine hair but might not suffice longer thicker hair.
- clean towels can be provided at your request each day
- two large bottles of water are provided each day
- there is a good sized mini fridge which we filled with our water, aftersun and even a bottle of milk for a teas and coffees (we took our own water bottle and asked the hotel to fill it with cold milk to have in our room)
- there is no tea and coffee facilities in the room so we took a travel kettle, tea bags etc and some travel cups and as mentioned got milk from the hotel. They will also let you use some hotel cups and saucers from the bar if you don't take them with you.
- the tv has bbc1 and itv which is quite nice for a quiet moment and cooling off - plus its nice to find something in English if you wanted an early night.

The Pool
The pool was massive and never overly full however there was 'towel wars' - as it was so hot people either wanted their prime location or some shade and people were getting up earlier and earlier to secure it - I heard of some people setting their alarms and getting up at 6 to get a space and going back to bed! They say at the hotel they will remove them if you start doing this but I didn't see evidence of the removal and have to confess I may have popped out at 730 to get a space (in the shade to hide a burnt husband!).
A tip - buy a lilo in the uk - it was a god send to be able to float around on it with your feet dangling in the water - they cost £25 yes £25 in the shop! we got one for £10 in marrekech but they are so much cheaper at home.

The Free Bus
The free bus provided by the hotel can be booked in advanced, usually the day before to secure a space, but we didn't find it full and on one occasion we were the only ones on it! They give you a token and you state your departure and return times, but there didn't seem to be any issues with you jumping on an earlier one.
It departs from outside the hotel at 10,11,1430,1600,1800 and 1900
It returns from the main square at 1250, 1500, 1720, 1830, 2000
the journey takes about 25 mins max and the bus is air con (ideal in the heat we experienced!)
You can always get a petit taxi (takes 3 people) and I think they queue up outside the hotel or wait for your custom in the main square (these type of taxis, a small hatchback are smaller than the more expensive Mercedes taxis which take 5 people) - apparently these cost about 100dh in the day and 150dh in the evening each way.

The nightlife
We went out a couple of times to look for somewhere to have a beer and although we found three places, it is relatively 'dry'! The main square is described as being somewhere to watch the evening world go by however they cant sell alcohol as it is in sight of the mosque, so usually headed back at 630pm each time so we could have a drink in the hotel. I did hear of people wanting find nightclubs and although I did hear the reps mentioning a few, I imagine the taxis between the bars would be about 100dh each journey and beers are about £5 for a small bottle! Its not really a clubbing location!

The service
The staff were wonderful and couldn't be faulted. They did however allow smoking in all the bars which I didn't like and would have liked to have changed so that is why I only gave it a 4 out of 5 and not 5.

In summary, all in all this was a fabulous trip and a great experience, especially as our first time doing an all inclusive. If you take it was a relaxing break and are happy to just chill with a little light sight seeing then it is for you.

If you want to know any more (I am sure there are things I've not mentioned!) please contact me.

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance regarding your choice of room (patio or balcony), let them know if you ha...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited this hotel for one week and we was a little sure on what to expect as we has never visited Morocco before and had not known anyone who had but we were quickly put at ease as soon as we arrived at the hotel.
Ignore any negative reviews as the hotel was lovely.
As soon as we arrived we were taken straight to the restaurant (we arrived late and they had opened the restaurant late just for us) where staff were waiting to serve us food and wine.
After we had checked in we had the option of going for a drink whilst they took our suitcases to our rooms or you could take them yourselves.
When we first saw our room I couldn't believe how large it was. We had a beautiful view of the gardens, it had a separate toilet and bath/ shower rooms. We did have a problem with our safe but we rang reception and there was someone there in 5 minutes. The maids were brilliant, the rooms and sheets were cleaned/ changed everyday and they always made us different animals/ designs out of the towels and bed sheets.
All the staff was fantastic and really friendly. They would do anything for you and you wasn't pressured into tipping. They had English, French and Spanish speaking staff.
The food was just as lovely. I was worried they would serve a large amount of Moroccan food and my husband would struggle as he is a picky eater but the range of food was fantastic - they served 4 Moroccan dishes, salad bar, at least 5-10 different hot dishes and beautiful deserts and unlimited ice cream. They had two separate restaurants - breakfast and evening meal was served near reception and dinner time was near the pool.
The Moroccan and Italian restaurant are definatley worth visiting and you aren't limited on how many times you can go. We went to the Italian for my birthday and they set us up a table with candles, roses and free champagne. They also baked me a cake and the whole staff sung to me which I thought was lovely.
I was slightly worried to hear they had cats, frogs, lizards etc there but the cats were so friendly and never pestered you. We never saw any lizards although a few people on here said they had and we only saw the frogs on a night around the ponds which were nowhere near the rooms.
The pool was fantastic and was always been cleaned. I liked that it had a ramp to get into the pool as I am conscious of having to climb down steps and the pool only got as deep as your shoulder. They were two pool bars one opening at 10am and the other at 12pm.
The evening entertainment was fantastic and they had different entertainment to suit children and adults.
The trips were brilliant. We did a trip to the souks and the market which was done through the day. We really enjoyed it but it was definatley too warm. We did return in the evening by horse and carriage and that was rally nice. The market was a compleey different experience and I thought much better (just be careful of the children and women trying to sell tissues and henna tattoos they are quite demanding). They served freshly squeezed orange juice in the market and it was to die for.
I would definatley recommend this hotel and I believe people only find faults if they really want something to complain about.

• Stayed June 2013
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited this hotel for 7 nights in June. Perfect is the only way I can describe this hotel! Greeted at the door by a refreshing non-alcoholic cocktail and shown to the dining room which had been kept open especially for the late arrivals.The food was spectacular, we never visited the themed restaurants as in the main restaurant they offered a selection of Moroccan and Italian cuisine along with the buffet.

We were escorted to our room by security who discretely monitor the ground 24/7 as the complex is large and its easy to get lost. We managed to get sunbeds everyday, getting up around 8.30/9am. When the hotel is full in peak season it may be a problem though.

Drinks are available from the pool bar from 11am, however it normally opens before this and in the lounge bar until 12 midnight. They offer a good selection of cocktails, which no are not the strongest but as I was sipping them all day was grateful for that. My boyfriend drunk the larger and had no complaints!

All the staff are exceptionally friendly and cheerful and unlike Egypt they do not expect to be tipped. You can tip the pool guys who will reserve you sunbeds of a morning if you have a favourite spot.

The room was spacious, 2 single beds pushed together, flat screen tv, hair dryer, a/c unit and ceiling fan.

Marrakech itself is a place, not geared for tourists, it is a busy city and you have to appreciate it. The only thing I found a downside of the holiday, which was nothing to do with the hotel was the apes kept on chains as a tourist attraction.

Overall, I would go back in a heartbeat!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I just came back from a week at this hotel with my girlfriend and we had a really nice stay. Overall the hotel has gorgeous grounds which are very well maintained. The pool is massive and definitely the feature of the hotel where most things happen. I haven't given higher than a 3 because whilst I don't disagree with the positive reviews of other people, compared to my other holiday with Thomson, it doesn't match up to areas that are important to me (maybe not necessarily for you though). My sister is actually staying here in August and I have no problem in giving her confidence that she will have a nice time, however, it's not somewhere I would return for another holiday.

Location: About 25 mins from the airport and 15 mins from Marrakech.

Check-in: Very smooth, cocktails on arrival and whisked away for an evening meal (a very nice touch) while your luggage is taken to your room. Due to the number of people staying and limited porters, delays can be experienced with your luggage. Unfortunately this happened to me and took an hour for our luggage to reach us.

Staff: They were all really nice, made an effort with everyone, I didn't have any issues.

Facilities: Usual facilities at the hotel. One tip is to be aware that you can change sterling at the hotel who have decent rates so don't feel the need to do this at the airport. They have a couple of tennis courts, a football / basketball court and a spa. Be warned, wifi is only available around the reception area and even then it is really bad. I don't know if other people had as much difficulty as us, but it took us ages to connect at times and when we did, we were barely getting half a MB. The hotel has a very handy shuttle service for going into Marrakech which I recommend you use. Just be aware you need to book in advance and they are strict about this as I have seen guests turned away when they tried to board the coach from Marrakech to the hotel but hadn't booked in advance.

Room: We stayed in a suite which was excellent, very big with nice bed / bathroom / balcony. The major problem I had with the room was the air conditioning, it was very poor. The air con itself had to be left on over night for the room to cool down. There was a ceiling fan in the room but it only had one speed which would barely spin, not creating a breeze so it was pretty much redundant. The initial night was very humid and if you're not good with heat, you will experience problems so take a portable fan or something. Subsequent days / nights were fine as we left the air con on while out of our room. The fridge in the room is also very poor. Whilst I tend to find most fridges in hotels are never that cold, bottles had to be left overnight (at least) to help chill water and even then it barely chilled the bottle.

Pool: Massive! Very nice, not as cold as people made out. The parasols are fixed and quite large which I found annoying because they can provide a bit too much shade without the option to close them. I'm not saying that to be picky but rather highlight the problem it creates - whilst there are plenty of sun loungers, it puts a premium on decent spots and tons or people were going out at around 7am to claim the loungers. But like I said, there are plenty of loungers and I found some decent spots...but be aware.

Entertainment: Pretty cheesy, but no better or worse than most places. They seemed to make a big effort with the kids staying there and despite being cheesy or 'strange' at times, the animation team are always upbeat and make an effort.

Bar / drinks: Not the best. Cocktails / beer at the pool bars were watered down with cocktails seemingly of the ready mixed variety without much alcohol. The bar guys would sometimes be nice and add extra booze but best tips i can give you are 1) order long drinks as they are pure spirits with a mixer and 2) get your drinks from the bar in reception if you really want to drink as they seemed to serve 'proper' alcohol.

Food: Nice food with decent variety, pretty comparable to other hotels and resorts I've enjoyed. They have an Italian Speciality Restaurant (which is basically the lunch area laid out a bit nicer) and a Moroccan Speciality restaurant. You have to book for both. While the food in the speciality restaurants is nice, what I found disappointing is it's not that much different from the main buffet and both specialty restaurants were buffets which is a bit misleading. Normal speciality restaurants have a menu to choose from and waiter service to help give your evening a bit of a different feel and make it more "special", which these don't have, so just ensure you have your expectations set correctly when booking.

Resort in general: The pool area is the only place you can hang out. Compared to other hotels which have beach areas or more expansive grounds where you can go for walk or simply find a hammock and chill out there....this does not have those options so is very limiting and was my biggest problem with the hotel / resort. For many people this will be fine but I like to have options otherwise a week just hanging out at the pool can become boring, despite the grounds being nice.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a week holiday with my boyfriend. From the second we arrived to the minute we left we were treated like royalty. The staff cannot do enough and are always smiling day and night. The reception staff are welcoming, the bar staff are friendly and the restaurant staff are attentive and helpful. The pool is stunning, clean and tidy and the entertainment team do aqua aerobics, water polo,darts, bowls, football, yoga and all sorts of other activities daily. The food is delicious and there is a huge variety of salad, vegetarian options, various meats, pasta, potatoes and Moroccan dishes. Nothing bad can be said about this hotel it was amazing and we would highly recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!