“What a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #144 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Bristol, United Kingdom
“What a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this all-inclusive hotel at the end of May, and what an excellent choice it was. From the moment we arrived the hotel and its staff are warm and welcoming. We arrived later in the evening, our cases were taken from us, a welcome drink placed in our hands, before we were taken into the restaurant for a full hot meal. We found the rooms in the hotel impeccably clean and always made upto a very high standard, and the several bottles of mineral water popped into the fridge everyday was a nice touch.

The pool and bar areas and the grounds in general were always kept to a very high and clean standard, one tip if you want to grab a good shady spot, then get down to the pool early to grab your spot, that said there is always somewhere to lounge if you get here later. During our stay we tried all the restaurants and can honestly say they all produced an excellent range of foods, with something for everyone.

We tried a trip to the falls on the second Atlas, great day out, you really have to try the little boats that take you within a few feet of the gallons of water falling over the edge!!

All in all we could not find a single fault with this hotel, so much so that we have said it is the best all-inclusive we have ever stayed in, we hope to return next year for another week of relaxation!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
Weymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here in June for 2 weeks with the first week being half term. We were family of 4 plus grandparents. First impressions of the hotel were very good, check in was very quick after being shown to the dining room for an evening meal. The room was very spacious and easily accommodes 2 adults, child and a baby. We were in 5037 and parents in 5035 which we found were nice quiet rooms overlooking the tennis courts and had the sun for most of day. The rooms were very clean and the maids did an excellent job on a daily basis. There is a free digital safe in the room but in respect of facilities thats it.
The pool area is kept very clean, actually the whole resort is spotless, everywhere you go the staff are cleaning up constantly.
The food was satisfactory, we had some mealtimes where it was excellent and others where it fell slightly below standard. My only big tip in respect of the food is make sure that the meat from the griddles is well cooked, I had to leave mine on more than a couple of occasions and in the end I gave up. I think though this is more down to supply and demand (the chefs couldn't cook it quick enough) than a bad chef however if there is something specific that you want the staff will try their upmost to get it for you. They even offered to blend up fruit and veg for our 5 month old who has just started weaning which we thought was really nice of them.
I can't really say any more on the hotel as others appear to have said it all especially deenadee01 whose review I think hit the nail on the head.
Some down sides though:-
*Take a kettle as nothing is available from 00.00 to 07.30 and there are not always kettles available to hire, if it had not been for our flask I would have had a very unhappy baby when it came to his night feed.
*There are NO interconnecting rooms which I believe Thomson has now amended in the brochure. What they offer is 2 rooms next to each other which are supposed to have their own corridor bit and outer lockable door, THESE DO NOT LOCK. We paid £210 extra for these rooms so that we could have the odd evening out with the grandparents babysitting as it turned out we had to move the kids into my parents room and in the end only did this once. When we asked about it at reception, we were told that none of the outer door cardlocks worked due to technical problems.
*Smoking is allowed everywhere except the inner dining rooms and the entertainment hall. We are smokers and found it too much. Due to having 2 children with us we are what I would call considerate smokers and move away or go outside, its not an option at this hotel, there was smoking everywhere. We did bring the subject up with the manager (who is always milling around and available to chat to) and he did say that this was the last hotel that allowed smoking in all areas but it would soon be changing.
All in all I would not quite give this hotel its current 4* rating but its getting there and as for the staff, they are class A at this hotel, you couldn't ask for more helpful and nicer people.
One thing that did upset me was the amount of people moaning about children, I'm sorry but if you choose to go on holiday during school half term then you need to expect to see children running around especially in a resort that accommodated families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glastonbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week’s stay at the ClubHotel Tikida Palmeraie.

Firstly, the staff were absolutely fantastic and could not be faulted. What a job they had looking after so many holiday makers. I really felt they earned whatever they are paid and probably more. A credit and asset to the hotel.

The food was again, really, really good when you consider the capacity of the hotel and it was full when we visited. A great choice of food and as my husband pointed out, we never had an issue with queuing at the buffet. We rotated between the main restaurant, the Italian and the Moroccan restaurants and our preference was definitely for the Moroccan, after all, it is part of the reason for choosing a holiday to Morocco! This was closely followed by the Italian restaurant (for variation). The atmosphere in these two restaurants was definitely quieter and more intimate than the main restaurant, and again, the waiting staff superb.

We found the drinks to be acceptable. My husband did say he found the beer to be a bit flat but the wine was more than acceptable and as I like to nice G&T, my husband asked the bar staff to make it quite strong with a dash of lemon and they were only too happy to oblige. But as we are not big drinkers, there really wasn’t an issue for us.

Whilst it is never nice to be directly asked for tips (WHICH WE WEREN’T), I felt it would be nice to have a general “tips box” at Reception should you wish leave something if you wanted to – which they didn’t have – and the ‘Rep’ said was not expected. My husband and I did want to leave a tip so chose to leave something with the waiter who served us the most and for the cleaning staff (in our room) but still, there must be an amazing number of staff behind the scenes who also deserve credit.

My only problem with the hotel was around the pool and the constant activity and noise. Having travelled to over 40 countries in my relatively short 30+ years, I believe I have a wide experience of holiday and travel. I have stayed in everything from a Travelodge to The Ritz. At this hotel there was definitely a “club” atmosphere and whilst I have never been to Butlin’s, I can quite imagine this hotel was a upmarket version on that. The constant music, loud speaker announcements, games, etc., was at times annoying. Even on returning to my room late afternoon for some peace and quiet, I could still hear the bingo being called by the pool! Albeit we had requested and were given a room as far away from the pool/reception as was possible. Please, it is a holiday and some of us like to relax in between our excursions, have a bit of peace, read a book or listen to our own personal ipods!

I understand the principle of it being a “ClubHotel” and like the idea of activities being available – indeed, I made use of the gym and exercise classes, being very sporty as I am – but please is it not possible to advertise them in better, quieter way? When staying at hotels in Asia they usually post the next day’s activities on a board (which they did have at this hotel) or leave a timetable in your room. A much better idea.

I expect some people don’t venture too far from the hotel but the excursions are to be recommended. My particular favourite was the “Road to the Kasbahs”. A long day and quite expensive but so interesting and worthwhile. I cannot recommend it enough. Again, we were pleased to tip our excellent guide and driver.

All in all a nice hotel with lovely gardens, nice food and great staff but I was more than a little disappointed with the constant noise. It gave me the feeling of being somewhere noisy, chaotic and sometimes a little frantic and I ended the holiday not feeling as relaxed as I would have liked.

Perhaps not the ‘type’ of hotel for me. But I can see how it would appeal to others.

Room Tip: If you have a specific requirement, e-mail the hotel a week or so before you go. We did and were gi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

After staying here June 2013 we had never been to morocco before but wow!!! This is definitely the best holiday that we have ever had! The food was amazing, such good choices I am a fussy eater too. The rooms and the hotel were incredibly clean. I have nothing to complain about. When we went over it was my birthday whilst away, I got completely spoiled by the hotel staff. Everyone somehow new it was and they were saying happy birthday. In the evening the restaurant staff had made up a beautiful table with a candle, rose petals and champagne. I also got a birthday cake from the staff who sang happy birthday. I felt really special. Little touches like that really make this place an unbelievable experience. I will be recommending this to everyone that asks about our holiday.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not one to be missed. The grounds and rooms are spotless, good amazing (who can complain with fresh omelettes and doughnuts for breakfast), drinks are branded not local, cocktails amazing!! We stayed for 7 nights, we have vowed not to return to the same destination on holiday but with this hotel we will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The review is a bit late but I stayed here in June 2012 with three friends and was a really good holiday. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My friend is a vegetarian and they catered for this by having a whole veggie section. The lunch buffet was very varied and offered different cuisine every day. I would rush back to the hotel if I had the chance. Great for relaxing and chilling out.

Room Tip: Complex was quite big but we enjoyed the walk to our room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Working for Thomson's i had been recommended this hotel numerous times and sold it to customers with no complaints.

Landing in Marrakech you feel the heat as you step off the 3 hour flight to which you are then led through to the arrivals which i found very slow as you show your passports and tourist visas (which you fill out on the plane). As it was booked through Thomson you are put straight on the coach which only has Riu Tikida Palmeraie guests on so no dropping off at any other hotel, this takes about 25mins and great ride to see some of the city at night.

Arriving at the hotel you are then told to leave your suitcase in the lobby and led straight to the dining room where you can have a meal then when you are ready you can check in, given a sticker with your room number on to be placed on your suitcases and then given directions to your room, the porter then arrives with your suitcase. I was told about the frogs in the gardens of the hotel and never believed how loud they actually are until you walk out of the reception area (i was amazed) but don't worry you can't hear them from your room.

Walking into our room 5147 i was pleasantly surprised at the size and how clean it was. I was a little disappointed how you have twin beds but if you ask your maid to turn it in to a double she will put them together and place a sheet underneath turning it into a comfy queen sized bed with no gap to fall down in the middle. The bathroom is separate to toilet and you have two large wardrobes for the the both of you, inside one of them is your digital safe which is free to use. You have a flat screen tv which has bbc, itv and a local channel 2 which plays constant movies in English from early morning until night. Our balcony overlooked the tennis court and on a clear day has a beautiful view of the atlas mountains. There are no coffee making facilities in your room and no iron. You can place a deposit for an iron and board for 500dhs which they deliver to your room but on our occasion they forgot until the next day and apologised by giving us a bottle of champagne to which we refused and explained it was no problem them forgetting.

Our first day we got up early to get a sun-lounger (even though you don't need to get up early.. you will find a sun-lounger even if you get up at 11am) and go for breakfast. Nice choice of pastries, pancakes, scrambled eggs, cereals etc. The toaster takes ages so be sure to go there first so your food doesn't go cold. For us english we love our english fry ups but it doesn't taste anything like ours so we ended up eating pancakes most mornings :-) We then went to our welcome meeting which was insightful and gives you an outlook on the city plus do's and don'ts in the markets.

Me and my boyfriend never burn on holiday but we did on our first day as the heat is so intense and being in a city with no sea you find there is no breeze so don't just take factor 30 to start with, something higher is needed until your skin gets used to the heat. The pool is huge and freezing but lovely when you have been baking.. i just jumped straight in there! They have games around the pool but if you don't want to get involved then they don't pester you.

Lunch was in the restaurant by the pool and again a good selection, i had a panini most days. A good selection of drinks but we don't drink so i couldn't tell you if they are strong or not but i never heard anyone complain but we all know all inclusives lack the alcohol strength.

The sun is bright and strong all the way until 7pm but the pool bar closes around 6pm. We would then go back to the room for a chill and get showered (shower was amazing and high powered). You book the restaurants with the head chef who is located in the lunch room around mid day and he will give you a ticket. You can go to the Italian and Moroccan as many times as you like (for free) as long as there is space. The Italian was a disappointment and was the same dishes as the main restaurant but just more of an intimate feel. The Moroccan was beautiful, really unusual dishes but so nice and i don't usually like food other than English.. so nice i have been trying to find a Moroccan restaurant here.

We booked a trip called Calche by Night £20 each and what an experience... we have a horse and carriage ride around the old and new city then you are dropped off to the square which i can;t describe. Its buzzing at night and the only way for me to describe how busy is for you to imagine about 5 football stadiums worth of people on the street. I was really nervous and i thought it looked unsafe with motorbikes whizzing past you, locals begging and betting, snake charmers, large monkeys jumping around but as long as you say no firmly and don't take valuables or much money (put in a front pocket of trousers) you are fine. You can't say you have been to Marrakech unless you go to the square at some point.

We also had a massage in the spa which was nice but not the best i've had and i'm not sure it was worth the money. 600dhs for 50min tonic massage and 500dhs for relaxing massage. We don't drink and this was meant to be a pure chill out holiday so we didn't see any of the evening entertainment we just had a nice meal and went straight to our room and sat on our balcony playing games etc but we heard it was brilliant.

Only change what money you need bit by bit as you can't change it back in the hotel.You can change it in the airport on your return but you need to keep your receipt from the hotel. The hotel has a gift shop which closes at 8pm and is closed on Sundays i brought some lovely moroccan slippers and candles etc. If you smoke the shop also sells cigarettes at 32dh for 20 Marlborough.

We didn't book the late check out room which was 500dhs to have until 6pm and was worried as it was so hot and had to be out our room by 11am. But a good solution was to use the indoor swimming pool showers and changing rooms problem solved.

Only reason i don't give the hotel 5 stars is because they could have better food and i feel they could do more with the hotel eg adults only pool, nicer sun-loungers, more activities. We never return to the same place but if we did this would be our regular holiday/hotel destination.

Room Tip: 5147 was nice but you don't get the sun all day but views of the Atlas Mountains. I heard rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie? Share your experiences!