“Homely mini hotel in a wonderfully quiet spot” 4 of 5 stars

You added Riad Papillon to your Saves list
Riad Papillon
15 Derb Tizougarine | Dar el Basha District, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #11 of 179 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“Homely mini hotel in a wonderfully quiet spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Abdel, the Duty Manager type chap, was helpful & charming from start to finish. We asked for a proper bed in our room for our 12 year old son and they fully obliged ( tho good thing he wasn't oversized!). The breakfast on the terrace would equal anything in a top London hotel - and nowhere could beat the pretty terrace drenched in sunshine. Riad was, like many, down a back alley and a barrow man had to transport our suitcases as cars can't get down but the tour company and riad manager organised this efficiently and on time as we both arrived and left. A great riad & recommended.

• Stayed February 2013

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I chose this Riad based on Trip Advisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. We chose to use the taxi pick up service offered by the hotel which is really worth it and were met at a point where the taxi could go no further and our host Yossine took us down some winding passages until we came to our blue door. There were four of us travelling and we had both the rooms on the first floor which were really charming and comfortable. The Riad offered us the option on a evening meal which we took and it was very nice - a lamb tagine with some local salads which i hadnt come across before. The Riad also sold at a reasonable price a pretty decent red wine to go with it. The next day unfortunately was raining so we didnt get to see Marrakech at its best. It was an excellent location and amazingly we didnt get lost, but were given a 'hotline' to Yossine for him to help out if we needed him. I was initially a little apprehensive about walking down the passageways back to the Riad in the dark, but its well lit and you felt quite safe - just watch out for the mopeds and the donkeys! Well done team Papillion you have a little gem there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with 2 other people . At first I was not to sure what to expect. But once getting in to the riad and seeing it., it was beautiful. From the door to bed rooms to the stairs and then to terrace. Both amazing in the day and a night. On the first night we had (what I would describe the best food I has during my stay) was 3 course meal. I it was Amazing!!!!!!! Then having breakfast everyday in the sun what more could you ask for.

Been right in the inner city and experience everything is the best.. Everything you need right out side your door step to the restaurant, shops (so amazing shops!!!! Heaven) to Hanmas its amazing. Plus, staying at the riad you don't even hear the square noise so peaceful. I could go on and on. About how beautiful this place.

But one the best thing about my trip was meeting Yassin. His hospitality is above and beyond words can not praise him enough. He is so genuine and care for each guest and takes his time to get to know you He actually makes the riad what is it. Simple gem.

I would definitely go back again in heart beat no question asked.!!!!!!!
Better then any modern hotel or apartments.

• Stayed October 2012
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a fantastic week in Marrakesh based here , a real oasis amongst the frantic activity , sights , sounds and smells of the Medina. We were glad we arranged for them to have us picked up at the airport and then met by a guide to take us on foot to the Riad but from the moment of our arrival it felt special.
The scents of the Riad and perfumed air of our room were a fantastic welcome and the vegetarian meal on the first evening was excellent. With one of the owners herself a vegetarian , this was both a reliable and delicious first meal .
The staff were helpful and willing to offer help , advice and counselling for everything from where to eat out through to trips to the Atlas Mountains . We were glad of the offered mobile phone in case of getting lost amongst the narrow passageways of the souk and the reassurance that they would " talk us in " if we got lost - we didn't.
The roof terrace was glorious and breakfast there was a daily highlight. Rooms were exotic , bathrooms excellent and the whole experience is highly recommended. We would very happily return

Room Tip: Check website and choose room - all are slightly different and have pros and cons
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I chose Riad Paillon after reading all the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and we weren't disappointed. Staying in the riad was like being honoured guests in a family home. Nothing was too much trouble - they even gave us a mobile phone to call them if we got lost in the souks!
We had pre-booked dinner across town one evening and they took us to find a taxi to make sure we arrived at the right place and weren't over charged. Even better they arranged for us to call them when we were getting into the taxi home so they could be waiting to walk us back to the riad.
The riad is beautiful and magical with tiny twinkly lights everywhere! We had wonderful breakfasts where everyday day there was something new for us to try and the meal they cooked us on our first night was lovely.
Marrakech is a unique experience and staying at Riad Papillon allowed us to really to get close to the city but have the tranquality and safety to return to. A truly memorable experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My long-weekend in Marrakech stayed with me for much longer than the four days we were there. The colours, sounds and smells were all so different and exciting, almost overwhelming.
But what really made the stay in this bustling city so special was the peaceful cosyness of Riad Papillon. It really was like a balm for my senses in the midst of such heat and noise.

I am so glad that my boyfriend chose this place to stay over a modern, western-style hotel.
As soon as we walked into the Riad and were greeted by the soft and romantic scent of Jasmine, I knew that I would love it. It really gave us the feeling of being in Morocco. I just wanted to drink everything in through my eyes, the colours, the patterns on the balcony railings, the cushions. Everything was so exotic, and so stylish.

Yassine looked after us really well too, and is so friendly. The Riad's hospitlity is first class. He gave us a map of the city,a mobile phone for emergencies and even some tips on how to haggle!

And out of everywhere we ate in Morocco, the food in the Riad was by far the best. I would also highly recommend trying the Moroccan wine. It is delicious. But my highlight was the breakfast - served on such gorgeous crockery. I am a sucker for cute crockery - so I was in total heaven there.

Oh - and they have the best smelling shower gel and body lotion in the entire universe! I have been trying to find some that smelled the same ever since, but sadly to no avail. Oh well, guess that means we'll have to go back there...

Highly recommended for all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our family of four (with two seven year olds) stayed for 3 nights from 25-28 oct 2012. The Riad is beautiful and very well located for the medina and the souks, they laid on a delicious tagine on our first night, the best meal we had in Marrakech, and arranged a airport pick up. Yassine looked after us personally and could not have been more helpful. highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riad Papillon? Share your experiences!