“Service with a smile” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southampton UK
“Service with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

After reading so many good reviews we decided to book into this little Riad. I have to say I was not disappointed. From the moment we arrived to when we left it felt like home. Its in a great location just a short distance from the lively square and a great place to come back to after the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. The whole place is spotless and the service exceptional - nothing is too much trouble. Then there is the restaurant which was fantastic you have to eat here its one of the best in Marrakech. All in all a great place and you feel very welcomed. Thank you Myra and the team - we will be back!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We visited Marrakech for my wife's 30th. I chose this hotel, because of the rave reviews but also because it was a little out of town, away from the chaos of Marrakech. Having been before, I knew that this chaos can get a bit much so this hotel proved to be a beautiful oasis to escape.

We arrived at the airport early morning. When we attempted to take a Taxi, we asked the price. I knew it was a standard 150Dh charge (though not sure if that was actually true or not) so when I asked the driver how much it would be to Al Fassia, he took us to one side and said 250Dh. I laughed and said that we're not paying that and I knew it was 150Dh. He said the hotel was really really far out of town like 10km - which it is not. From the airport its about 10mins - and only about 3km. There was a bus leaving for town in about 8 mins, so we declined his offer - at which point he dropped his price to 200Dh. We said no and got on the bus for 20Dh each, got off at Djemaa El Fnaa (6 stops on) and took at taxi from there. The first two taxi guys we saw tried it on and wanted to charge 70Dh, however we got one down to 40Dh. You need to haggle everywhere.

Al Fassia is about 2 - 3km out of town. Its opposite the vast Aguedal gardens of orange groves, olive trees and vineyards. We arrived, the huge doors were opened and we were lead into this quiet oasis. Instantly we were made to feel welcome. After being checked in to the suite (which I recommend if you stay here), Myra the very cool lady who runs the Riad came to greet us in person and had a birthday gift of some moroccan slippers for my wife. We were given some lovely moroccan pastries and fruits in our room. Our room was pretty majestic, 4 poster bed, lovely decor and vast bathroom with a view of the pool.

Myra and her staff went really out of their way to make sure we had a really special stay. Nothing was ever too much trouble and everything came with a big smile. It was really endearing that everyday Myra would make time to come and talk to us and find out how we were enjoying the stay there.

We didn't bring any guide books and they kindly lent us a couple, which really helped as we would have got totally lost in the Souks.

Al Fassia is widely known for its food all over Marrakech and let me tell you... it was really really good. We had lunch and dinner there twice. Yeah, we could have gone elsewhere but didnt want to risk having a meal that wouldn't be as good. Personally I would recommend the Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemon and Olives and the Lamb Tagine with Sweet Prunes. Their pastries are great and they have this Pastilla dessert topped with sugar spiced ground almonds. Oh and the moroccan salad is really good too. The staff at the restaurant were all so nice. On my wife's birthday they surprised her by singing Happy Birthday in french, english and she also got a moroccan 'war cry' - which was just so cool. I had no idea. No day would have been complete without lots and lots of mint tea and Mohammed made the best mint tea!

The night before, we would tell them when we wanted to have our breakfast. We'd eat by the pool in the morning - moroccan crepes, breads and an array of really nice jams to go with it.

We spent a day in town sight seeing and eating in the market in the evening, but the other days we spent in the riad relaxing by the pool, playing cards and eating food. I love moroccan food.

The views of the sunset from the roof terrace at night were brilliant. An sunset, the central gardening is a live with birds chirping away.

Even though it was Ramadan, Myra arranged a cooking demonstration for us because I really wanted to learn how to make a proper chicken tagine. I really appreciated this and at the end of the trip she gave us some preserved lemons to take with us! I'll be writing more about this on my blog mrfoodie.co.uk

So a big big thank you to Myra and her staff for making our stay special and for helping me spoil my wife on her birthday. :o)

Anyway... if you stay here you will love it.

couple of tips

If the day you can walk to the Carrefour next to the hotel and get a taxi for around 30dh - be firm and be prepared to walk away. Coming back to the hotel will only cost about 30 - 40dh. haggle and be firm. At night we paid 40dh - 50dh for a small taxi.

In the souk - they will try it on. You never know what the real price could be, so be prepared to walk away if need be and hold your ground on price. Go to about 20% and you'll end up paying about 30%. We bought some sandals and the guy wanted 450dh!!! we said we're not paying anymore than 100Dh and ended up getting them for 120Dh - and I still think we paid too much.

Make sure you eat a meal or two at Al Fassia - you will love it!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

If you are looking at this review, and have not yet booked this hotel, do so now. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We found on arrival that we had been upgraded from a twin room to a suite, simply because they had the room available. The room was beautiful (as were the other rooms - I took a sneaky peek), with a view over the pool. The photos of the pool do not do it justice; whilst many "pools" at Marrakech hotels are more for bathing than swimming, this pool was large enough to have a good swim, without feeling commercial (and if you think it looks green, it is - green tiles!)

Breakfast could be served either round the pool, on the roof terrace, or in the Salon. Breakfasts varied each day, but always included various Moroccan breads, followed by warm moroccan pancakes and crumpet-like patties, all served with hot drinks and fresh orange juice. We found it was the perfect start to the day, served at whatever time we asked for the night before. Indeed many days we did not eat lunch, but survived quite happily on breakfast and dinner, which fitted in well with Ramadan opening hours.

We ate in the hotel restaurant only one night, but could happily have eaten there every night. The food was delicious, and the service attentive without being overpowering, a trait which carried over to the hotel as a whole.

For those who do not speak french, the hotel staff spoke sufficient english, although possibly not with the fluency that might be found in a more international hotel, but this may just have been because I was prepared to speak to them in French! Myra speaks near-perfect English and was an infallible source of information and assistance.

The hotel is around half an hour's walk from the Medina, but we found this to be a mainly pleasant walk, even for two unaccompanied women. It's possible to flag down a taxi, and if you are firm this should cost no more than 40 dh during the day and 50 at night (at this time around £2-4).

All in all a perfect stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

This Riad was luxurious with excellent service. Myra and her staff are so polite, welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them. The attention to detail is unsurpassed.The riad is about 10 mins by cab from the airport in Marrakesh and 20 mins walk to the medina. The riad rooms are spacious, immaculately clean, beautifullly decorated and with airconditioning. The riad is attached to one of the premier restaurants in Marrakesh serving the best traditional Moroccan food. There is a tranquil hamma on site. We cannot wait to go back to this jewel in Marrakesh!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

After 2 weeks traveling around Morocco, we found Al Fassia as we wanted something quiet with a hamman and pool outside the medina. It was gorgeous! By far this was the most well decorated, clean, friendly place that I have ever stayed! I though my 1st riad in Marrakech was nice - this kicked the little riad's butt! Even though it was Ramadan, the staff was still super friendly (as I later discovered other places... not so much). Myra was super sweet and helpfull. I wish we stayed here our last night in Marrakech vs. heading back into the crazy medina! Also - the included breakfast was fantastic! We even ordered lunch pool side - which was delicious.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have stayed at many hotels around the world and i have to say that the level of service from all members of the Al Fassia was outstanding. The hotel is situated away from the hussle and bussle of the medina, such peaceful surroundings.

If you are after a peaceful and relaxing holiday this is the ideal location, there is a shopping centre and cash machine within 5 mins walk.

Once again thank you very much, Myra, for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We booked this Hotel on the strength of the reviews and have no hesitation in echoing everyone else's enthusiasm. From the moment we arrived we couldn't have asked for better service or a more comfortable place to stay. The air conditioning and swimming pool was particularly appreciated as the temperature was in the 40's! Our room was immaculately clean throughout our stay and all of the staff were unfailingly polite and helpful.

We would also highly recommend the restaurant where the food was plentiful and delicious and the standards of service of the Riad were maintained.

Distance from the Medina was fine but the vast difference in Taxi fares was certainly an irritation and in the heat taxis were needed at all times. Haggling or feeling ripped off seemed the only alternatives and neither was very satisfactory

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Al Fassia Aguedal? Share your experiences!