“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Plaza

Save Saved
You added Swiss International Imperial Plaza to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abdelkrim Khattabi Avenue | Semlalia Street, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #394 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Ebene, Mauritius
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was booked for me by my travel coordinator before I had checked its review here. After seeing the mostly negative reviews here, I was apprehensive and expected the worst.

It wasn't as bad as I had feared. I stayed in two rooms (rm 207) and also (509) and in both, the rooms were clean as well as the bathrooms. Water flowed with no problems (albeit with less pressure on the 5th floor)

The Good:
-------------

Airport pickup was efficient and on time. When I missed my flight on the last day, my travel coordinator called and they sent a vehicle to come pick me from the airport. The staff are all generally nice and courteous.

i particularly thank one of the waiters whom I rushed up (from outside the hotel) in an emergency asking for sugar and he gave me 4 watches of sugar - no questions asked. That might have saved a diabetic's life out on the street. I thank him for just giving me the sugar and not asking whether I was a guest or not.

Many people said good things about Nadia ... I concur ... she is really nice and motherly ... and kept trying to make me feel at home after she discovered I'd missed my flight.

Internet access worked and was fast in both rooms. That's always a win for me. It is also free.

The Bad:
----------

Little choice at breakfast .... compared to the other hotels I stay at ... breakfast here as terrible and the same thing each day.

I heard from a staff one has to pay 3EURO per day to use the in room safes .... that's a first for me!

The bed coverings are a bit old and show. The towels aren't as white as i am used to but they are clean.

Conclusion
-----------

In a nutshell ... if you just need a place to sleep and then go out for business or touring ... this may be it. But its not the kind of hotel you want to spend all day in your room.

Room Tip: Room 509 has a beautiful balcony with a seat that looks out into a nice garden. But be careful ... t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

waiting staff all lovely breakfast good evening food ok if busy you get a buffet otherwise it is rubbish with no choice,spa and gym didnt get used too expensive,the girls that work there are great think its front of house thats the problem here and they need to get the room locks sorted as i must have been up and down 40times because couldnt open my door.rooms clean and maid lovely 4th floor wont be back

Room Tip: another hotel in the hiverage area looks alot safer and nicer
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is not that great. We stayed here as part of our our trek to the Atlas Mountains so we stopped there the night before and the last night. The rooms are okay but when we arrived the AC didn't work and none of the plugs worked. We told them that we needed AC at the very least before we went out to dinner but when we arrived back nothing had been done. They came up around 11.00pm (not what you need when you just want to go to sleep and have an early night for a 5.30am start) and pulled half the ceiling down before it was fixed. Surely better to get us to change rooms? Clearly not.

Breakfast was okay but not overly great, nothing really appealed to me apart from the tea. If you like bread and cheese and cake? you will be okay.

Swimming pool was alright but there were not many sunbeds so a bit limiting when you have a group of 34 people who want to chill out after 2 days in the mountains.

I asked for a iron and iron board on the last night but the hotel didn't have one. I find it hard to beleive that a 4 star hotel didn't own one iron board. The phone in the room didnt work so every time we had an issue we had to walk to reception. There was no shower curtain so everytime I had a shower the bathroom got utterly soaked!

All in all a bit of a dive, NOT a 4 star hotel (more 2 stars) but okay when you are urgent need of some decent sleep.

Ps, The main city centre is quite close so about 15 minute away in a taxi. Its quite interesting walking around there with some nice roof top resturants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Location - Imperial Plaza hotel - in the town Semlalia. We booked this hotel as it said it was a 4 stars.
Please do not be fooled by the website pictures. The hotel is a two star.
Meals :- Breakfast we got OLD stale bread. The milk was curdled when we were so looking forward to our morning cup of coffee. before we left on our early morning excursion.
Nadia will be helpful, only if you go through her booking the excursions etc.
We were worried about the towels. there was no difference between your face towel and the towel on the floor by the tub!
There is no communication between staff and management if you want to solve any problems.
We wanted to move rooms as I was not happy with the first room. There was No fridge, but there was a unit for a fridge and it was empty. There was No bidet. We requested for a room with a double bed when we did our booking and we got a room with twin beds and the room was awful.
The second room we got was over looking the main street full of garbage and extremely noisy.
The staff seemed to have got so imuned to customers complaining of the food - break fast or dinner. That there was noting they could do. One day at Dinner time I told the staff that the bread rolls are so hard, that I could play cricket with it. she laughed and walked off.
The restaurant staff give you a menu card. which is in French. NOT everyone can read or speak french. If you ask for a translation from the staff they tell you something totally different.
So the dish they present to you is not what they said.
THEY DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE FROM RICE OR VEG. DIABOLICAL ATTITUDE!!!
The lifts were not working properly. the corridors were very spooky. we had to tell them to put the lights in the dining room or else we were in the dark HAVING OUR MEALS with dim lighting.
The manager sits on his high horse, when ever he passed us in the lobby he never had a smile on his face - he had NO CUSTOMER CARE SKILLS. He is cheating the public by saying its a four star hotel.
Please get this message across to all travellers its A TWO STAR!!!!!
The number of times we had to get our room key re coded.was scary!!!
Not forgetting to mention even before we got our room key, They were so quick to ask for the government tax! the rep was pressuring us to book our excursions on arrival. In the end we told the staff to please give us our room key FIRST.some of the staff at the main reception have any customer care skills. They look so inefficient. They do not make any attempt to understand you if you speak english. ( I must say not all of them)
I WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVEN FOR FOR FREE!!!
I just got back yesterday I could not wait to type this info to trip advisor.

Room Tip: We requested our room when we did the booking. They give you any OLD CRAP ROOM, It makes no diffe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Location: This hotel although on the edge of a more modern area, is on quite a quiet out-of-town street with a lot of rubbish around it. Cheap enough to get into town but hassle to get a reasonable price from taxi drivers (30 dirhams we were advised).
Facilities/staff: Pool area ok although gets busy, spa woman very unhelpful when asking for towels for the pool - shower in room was good and bathroom clean, although twice in our four nights stay we had to ask reception to fix the water as there was none coming out of any of the taps! Daily, we would get back to our room and the key card wouldn't work so we would have to go back down to reception and ask, which was annoying. Otherwise, aircon worked and beds were comfortable. Staff were generally helpful enough but didn't speak good English.
Food: Only one 'restaurant' which disappointed us because we were half board. We were not given a choice on the first night, although the meal we were served up with was ok. However, there was no buffet any of the evenings, and only a choice of two options at dinner, at times this food was very bland. Breakfast was ok but could have been better in terms of selection. The bar was unable to serve any of the cocktails listed on the menu any of the nights we were there, as well as the majority of the bottles of wine also listed on the menu. When we asked for these items on the menu you would think we were asking for gold dust!!! To top it off, I got food poisoning the third night in. The staff however were helpful to find me a Doctor.
Other: Excursions arranged via Nadia at the hotel - one excursion was achieved to the waterfalls which was very good. However due to severe sickness had to cancel the next evenings' Chez Ali excursion and had to put up quite a fight to get a refund of only 2/3 of the money back. Overall wouldn't recommend this hotel, or for that matter, Marrakech. Having travelled extensively, there are a huge amount of other lovely destinations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The first thing to say is the photos on their website must have been taken when the hotel was brand new as the hotel is nothing like them. The staff do their best and Nadia the hotel rep was a huge help to us especially when I fell ill on our last night. Thankfully we only used the hotel as a base and were out on various day trips so only came back in the evening. However on several ocassions when we returned we found we had no towels in the room and one time, only one of our beds had been made and the dirty linen left on top of the bed that had been made?? We also found out half way through the holiday that we should have had a fridge on the room. The pool is much smaller than it looks in the photos and can get quite crowded. A word of caution, if you buy any food from the woman at the pool bar, make sure you get a receipt. We ended up paying twice because I didn't have a receipt to prove that I had already paid and I was left with no choice but to pay again after she caused a scene in front of the other guests. This was our second trip to Marrakech and we will go back but we will not stay at this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

As someone who regularly turns to trip advisor prior to booking a hotel I was appalled at the difference between the great feedback I had read for this hotel and the awful reality I was faced with upon arrival. I'm not quiet sure where the previous people stayed but it was no way the same hotel I stayed in.

LOCATION: The hotel is off the main road and quiet a far walk from the main square or main street in Marrakech. As two girls travelling alone safety was my first concern with regards to coming back to the hotel late on a badly lit street. The hotel itself is in major need of redecorating the reception area is filled with old red velvet sofas which are stained and hugely uncomfortable to relax in, for an apparent 4 star hotel the lobby boasts no air con as well as no offer of refreshments during check in - I'm not a fussy person but if your expecting a 4 star hotel these are usually things which come as a standard. The fish tank was dirty and the other was empty and had not been cleaned out properly.

CHECK IN & ROOM: Checking in took at least 40 minutes with a very unhelpful man at reception who spoke barely any English - this is the case for 90% of the staff in this hotel. Myself and my friend where finally given our room keys and told to make our way upstairs; there was nobody on hand to offer to take our suitcases to our room - which we where more than happy to pay for. So we made our way into a tiny elevator where the buttons have the wrong floors on them so have been re stickered with the corresponding floor next to the button?! Upon entering our room we attempted to turn on the air conditioning we where previously told about unfortunately this did not work following a day of 40 degree heat the room was boiling and offer of a room change was given. The water pressure within the shower was that of a failing tap and we had to shower with flip flops on as the bath was dirty, once reaching for a towel from the rack the towel rack fell to the floor.

FOOD: Breakfast was only another disappointment and we only decided to go twice the offer was of a few veg, fruit, and selection of mini pastries and cakes, no offer of hot food or at least an omelette or scrambled egg which is not hard to make.

STAFF: On our second day we spoke to the guest advisor Nadia who spoke very good English and arranged for a room change for us. Luckily our second room had good working air con but the rest of the issues with bad showers remain. The cleaning staff also come to collect your towels at 12 midday but do not come to clean your room until 2ish which is fine but they do not replace towels when cleaning. There where numerous times we would return back from an excursion at 3pm and find our room clean but with not a single towel to hand; when we would ask we where told we would have to wait until later despite being covered in dust from quad biking.

Whilst in the hotel we spoke to other families who had been on the plane with us and where staying at the hotel and it was clear that others where experiencing the same issues with the rooms and hotel that we where. Having stayed at other 4* and 5* resorts this resort is certainly NOWHERE NEAR 4* if anything this is a 2* hotel. The upstairs bar area is nice to sit at however all the sun loungers where taken by 12pm but Nadia was helpful and managed to get us some to relax in. The bar food is ok and nothing special if you are hungry I recommend you order early as you will be waiting up to 40 minutes for a few chicken skewers. The swimming pool would have been lovely if the water had been cleaned, the water was misty and even if you where in it the bottom of the pool was not visible. One of the pool lights has clearly broken a while ago but remains on the side of the pool with all the cable wires still attached! And the pool attendant comes by during the day with a cloth which he uses to clean the marble on the side of the pool with and then rinse in the pool next to you!

Room service is non existent and when it is the staff only understand orders in French and even then you don't know what your ordering until it arrives. During our 5 night stay (should have been 11) we where only able to order from room service twice as no one answers the phone usually, the second time we tried to order we waited 30 minutes only for the waiter to come to our door after all that time to tell us that the food we ordered is not available and all they have are sandwiches!

The only up side to this 'hotel' is Nadia who will take her time and plan your stay and excursions; however this is her job at the end of the day and she does it well. I would highly recommend the waterfalls and quad biking, as well as a cooking class at La Maison Arabe which was wonderful (this is not available through Nadia). I would also recommend a trip to Essaouira to anyone visiting Morocco.

Half way through our trip our room key stopped working and we where issued a new one. That night while myself and my friend where falling asleep at 2am a man entered our room with a room key. As I called out and jumped out of my bed the door shut and the person left. As two women travelling alone we where horrified and shaken by this. We opened the door after to see if the person had come in by accident and was still in the corridor to explain what had happened but nobody was there. We went to reception only to be told that two people had just entered the hotel and to simply go back to sleep and we would talk about it in the morning! This is simply not acceptable and we later found out that wrong room keys where not only issued to us. The hotel staff did not see handing out wrong room keys to other holiday makers as an issue at all and we where so disgusted and shaken we decided to pack up and cut short our stay there. Our original holiday was booked and paid for 11 nights in this hotel and WE CHECKED OUT AFTER 4 DAYS! The hotel took no responsibility for allowing someone else access to our room and had we not been in the room who knows what would have gone missing, the hotel have no security staff who don't care and have terrible attitudes and a manager who is never available to talk to and when we tried to make an 'appointment' we where told we would only be able to see him at 10 am as he does not come in earlier and in the afternoon he is tired. We where unable to make this appointment as we had excursions booked however I doubt that it would have been any use going anyway.

I WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE AND WOULD NEVER GO BACK EVEN IF IT WAS FREE

We later checked into two other hotels one in Essaouira called Riad Dar L'Ouissa which was lovely please see my review for more information and in Marrakech we checked into La Renaissance hotel which was a HUGE improvement on Imperial Plaza and was actually a relaxing place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Swiss International Imperial Plaza? Share your experiences!