“Not to be recommended Please!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Plaza

Save Saved
You added Swiss International Imperial Plaza to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abdelkrim Khattabi Avenue | Semlalia Street, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #394 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Not to be recommended Please!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Location - Imperial Plaza hotel - in the town Semlalia. We booked this hotel as it said it was a 4 stars.
Please do not be fooled by the website pictures. The hotel is a two star.
Meals :- Breakfast we got OLD stale bread. The milk was curdled when we were so looking forward to our morning cup of coffee. before we left on our early morning excursion.
Nadia will be helpful, only if you go through her booking the excursions etc.
We were worried about the towels. there was no difference between your face towel and the towel on the floor by the tub!
There is no communication between staff and management if you want to solve any problems.
We wanted to move rooms as I was not happy with the first room. There was No fridge, but there was a unit for a fridge and it was empty. There was No bidet. We requested for a room with a double bed when we did our booking and we got a room with twin beds and the room was awful.
The second room we got was over looking the main street full of garbage and extremely noisy.
The staff seemed to have got so imuned to customers complaining of the food - break fast or dinner. That there was noting they could do. One day at Dinner time I told the staff that the bread rolls are so hard, that I could play cricket with it. she laughed and walked off.
The restaurant staff give you a menu card. which is in French. NOT everyone can read or speak french. If you ask for a translation from the staff they tell you something totally different.
So the dish they present to you is not what they said.
THEY DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE FROM RICE OR VEG. DIABOLICAL ATTITUDE!!!
The lifts were not working properly. the corridors were very spooky. we had to tell them to put the lights in the dining room or else we were in the dark HAVING OUR MEALS with dim lighting.
The manager sits on his high horse, when ever he passed us in the lobby he never had a smile on his face - he had NO CUSTOMER CARE SKILLS. He is cheating the public by saying its a four star hotel.
Please get this message across to all travellers its A TWO STAR!!!!!
The number of times we had to get our room key re coded.was scary!!!
Not forgetting to mention even before we got our room key, They were so quick to ask for the government tax! the rep was pressuring us to book our excursions on arrival. In the end we told the staff to please give us our room key FIRST.some of the staff at the main reception have any customer care skills. They look so inefficient. They do not make any attempt to understand you if you speak english. ( I must say not all of them)
I WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVEN FOR FOR FREE!!!
I just got back yesterday I could not wait to type this info to trip advisor.

Room Tip: We requested our room when we did the booking. They give you any OLD CRAP ROOM, It makes no diffe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Location: This hotel although on the edge of a more modern area, is on quite a quiet out-of-town street with a lot of rubbish around it. Cheap enough to get into town but hassle to get a reasonable price from taxi drivers (30 dirhams we were advised).
Facilities/staff: Pool area ok although gets busy, spa woman very unhelpful when asking for towels for the pool - shower in room was good and bathroom clean, although twice in our four nights stay we had to ask reception to fix the water as there was none coming out of any of the taps! Daily, we would get back to our room and the key card wouldn't work so we would have to go back down to reception and ask, which was annoying. Otherwise, aircon worked and beds were comfortable. Staff were generally helpful enough but didn't speak good English.
Food: Only one 'restaurant' which disappointed us because we were half board. We were not given a choice on the first night, although the meal we were served up with was ok. However, there was no buffet any of the evenings, and only a choice of two options at dinner, at times this food was very bland. Breakfast was ok but could have been better in terms of selection. The bar was unable to serve any of the cocktails listed on the menu any of the nights we were there, as well as the majority of the bottles of wine also listed on the menu. When we asked for these items on the menu you would think we were asking for gold dust!!! To top it off, I got food poisoning the third night in. The staff however were helpful to find me a Doctor.
Other: Excursions arranged via Nadia at the hotel - one excursion was achieved to the waterfalls which was very good. However due to severe sickness had to cancel the next evenings' Chez Ali excursion and had to put up quite a fight to get a refund of only 2/3 of the money back. Overall wouldn't recommend this hotel, or for that matter, Marrakech. Having travelled extensively, there are a huge amount of other lovely destinations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The first thing to say is the photos on their website must have been taken when the hotel was brand new as the hotel is nothing like them. The staff do their best and Nadia the hotel rep was a huge help to us especially when I fell ill on our last night. Thankfully we only used the hotel as a base and were out on various day trips so only came back in the evening. However on several ocassions when we returned we found we had no towels in the room and one time, only one of our beds had been made and the dirty linen left on top of the bed that had been made?? We also found out half way through the holiday that we should have had a fridge on the room. The pool is much smaller than it looks in the photos and can get quite crowded. A word of caution, if you buy any food from the woman at the pool bar, make sure you get a receipt. We ended up paying twice because I didn't have a receipt to prove that I had already paid and I was left with no choice but to pay again after she caused a scene in front of the other guests. This was our second trip to Marrakech and we will go back but we will not stay at this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

As someone who regularly turns to trip advisor prior to booking a hotel I was appalled at the difference between the great feedback I had read for this hotel and the awful reality I was faced with upon arrival. I'm not quiet sure where the previous people stayed but it was no way the same hotel I stayed in.

LOCATION: The hotel is off the main road and quiet a far walk from the main square or main street in Marrakech. As two girls travelling alone safety was my first concern with regards to coming back to the hotel late on a badly lit street. The hotel itself is in major need of redecorating the reception area is filled with old red velvet sofas which are stained and hugely uncomfortable to relax in, for an apparent 4 star hotel the lobby boasts no air con as well as no offer of refreshments during check in - I'm not a fussy person but if your expecting a 4 star hotel these are usually things which come as a standard. The fish tank was dirty and the other was empty and had not been cleaned out properly.

CHECK IN & ROOM: Checking in took at least 40 minutes with a very unhelpful man at reception who spoke barely any English - this is the case for 90% of the staff in this hotel. Myself and my friend where finally given our room keys and told to make our way upstairs; there was nobody on hand to offer to take our suitcases to our room - which we where more than happy to pay for. So we made our way into a tiny elevator where the buttons have the wrong floors on them so have been re stickered with the corresponding floor next to the button?! Upon entering our room we attempted to turn on the air conditioning we where previously told about unfortunately this did not work following a day of 40 degree heat the room was boiling and offer of a room change was given. The water pressure within the shower was that of a failing tap and we had to shower with flip flops on as the bath was dirty, once reaching for a towel from the rack the towel rack fell to the floor.

FOOD: Breakfast was only another disappointment and we only decided to go twice the offer was of a few veg, fruit, and selection of mini pastries and cakes, no offer of hot food or at least an omelette or scrambled egg which is not hard to make.

STAFF: On our second day we spoke to the guest advisor Nadia who spoke very good English and arranged for a room change for us. Luckily our second room had good working air con but the rest of the issues with bad showers remain. The cleaning staff also come to collect your towels at 12 midday but do not come to clean your room until 2ish which is fine but they do not replace towels when cleaning. There where numerous times we would return back from an excursion at 3pm and find our room clean but with not a single towel to hand; when we would ask we where told we would have to wait until later despite being covered in dust from quad biking.

Whilst in the hotel we spoke to other families who had been on the plane with us and where staying at the hotel and it was clear that others where experiencing the same issues with the rooms and hotel that we where. Having stayed at other 4* and 5* resorts this resort is certainly NOWHERE NEAR 4* if anything this is a 2* hotel. The upstairs bar area is nice to sit at however all the sun loungers where taken by 12pm but Nadia was helpful and managed to get us some to relax in. The bar food is ok and nothing special if you are hungry I recommend you order early as you will be waiting up to 40 minutes for a few chicken skewers. The swimming pool would have been lovely if the water had been cleaned, the water was misty and even if you where in it the bottom of the pool was not visible. One of the pool lights has clearly broken a while ago but remains on the side of the pool with all the cable wires still attached! And the pool attendant comes by during the day with a cloth which he uses to clean the marble on the side of the pool with and then rinse in the pool next to you!

Room service is non existent and when it is the staff only understand orders in French and even then you don't know what your ordering until it arrives. During our 5 night stay (should have been 11) we where only able to order from room service twice as no one answers the phone usually, the second time we tried to order we waited 30 minutes only for the waiter to come to our door after all that time to tell us that the food we ordered is not available and all they have are sandwiches!

The only up side to this 'hotel' is Nadia who will take her time and plan your stay and excursions; however this is her job at the end of the day and she does it well. I would highly recommend the waterfalls and quad biking, as well as a cooking class at La Maison Arabe which was wonderful (this is not available through Nadia). I would also recommend a trip to Essaouira to anyone visiting Morocco.

Half way through our trip our room key stopped working and we where issued a new one. That night while myself and my friend where falling asleep at 2am a man entered our room with a room key. As I called out and jumped out of my bed the door shut and the person left. As two women travelling alone we where horrified and shaken by this. We opened the door after to see if the person had come in by accident and was still in the corridor to explain what had happened but nobody was there. We went to reception only to be told that two people had just entered the hotel and to simply go back to sleep and we would talk about it in the morning! This is simply not acceptable and we later found out that wrong room keys where not only issued to us. The hotel staff did not see handing out wrong room keys to other holiday makers as an issue at all and we where so disgusted and shaken we decided to pack up and cut short our stay there. Our original holiday was booked and paid for 11 nights in this hotel and WE CHECKED OUT AFTER 4 DAYS! The hotel took no responsibility for allowing someone else access to our room and had we not been in the room who knows what would have gone missing, the hotel have no security staff who don't care and have terrible attitudes and a manager who is never available to talk to and when we tried to make an 'appointment' we where told we would only be able to see him at 10 am as he does not come in earlier and in the afternoon he is tired. We where unable to make this appointment as we had excursions booked however I doubt that it would have been any use going anyway.

I WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE AND WOULD NEVER GO BACK EVEN IF IT WAS FREE

We later checked into two other hotels one in Essaouira called Riad Dar L'Ouissa which was lovely please see my review for more information and in Marrakech we checked into La Renaissance hotel which was a HUGE improvement on Imperial Plaza and was actually a relaxing place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Loughton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Before I get started I just want to clarify I never give bad reviews or complain, but I feel honesty needs to be shared regarding this hotel. For one don't be fooled by the pictures, the rooms are similar to the pics the rest of the hotel isn't . We arrived at 11.30pm & was so disheartened when we arrived, the hotel needs a face lift it's on a back road and the staff are miserable ! The decor is tacky and aged. My first room had no air con working which wasn't changed until the following morning, don't mean to be a moaner but sleeping in a room of 39degrees is no fun. Shower barely works in any of the rooms either. Room service ... I don't think they understand what room service is. On many occasions I had to leave the hotel and find a restaurant to eat at as whenever I was hungry & choose something from the menu it was NEVER available. Breakfast was mediocre .. Pastries, fruits and bread. Imperial plaza gloat about their fine dining in several restaurants, there is only one restaurant & a bar by the pool . It was me and my friend in the hotel together, we was asleep and at 2am a man walked into our room and only left as we alerted him! When we complained we was informed two people had just entered the hotel but not worry go back to sleep & we will sort it in the morning. Hello??! A man has a room key to my room & you expect me to go sleep?! To sum up this hotel is NOT a 4* it's a 2/3 star at the most & by far worst hotel I've stayed in . If that's what your looking for then this is your hotel . Some of the staff are nice including a few waitresses and Nadia who does her best to ensure your comfortable & having a good holiday .

• Stayed August 2013
Croydon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I travelled with my husband and my two young children and my sister and her family, we had a great time and experience. As I was travelling with children, I was at one point very worried after reading some of the reviews, but I can assure you that being a mum of two, this hotel was much more than expected. The hotel was about 15 minutes drive from the airport, which I had arranged prior to arrival and cost 10 euros for a big car to accommodate 7 of us (this was going to cost £100 as a hotel transfer whilst booking the holiday, we opted to book privately). We had booked two double rooms, half board. First impressions were good, we had a warm welcome with friendly staff, the children loved the fish in the reception area. After completing the necessary paper work, our bags were taking up to our rooms, which were very clean and of a high standard. Although our rooms were both double rooms, they did differ, they both had balconies and had a great view of the mountains, but ours had a fridge and the other did not, the wardrobe differed and maybe one or two other small things. Bathrooms were clean, shower over the bath, clean and sufficient towels, toiletries provided, what more can you ask for! Rooms were air conditioned and it was working fine. As we booked half board, we went down for dinner and it was a Moroccan buffet, the theme varied each day, there was more than plenty of varieties of food, from hot meals, to salads, to fruit and a large range of desserts. The only drawback was that there was nothing to drink included not even water, you had to purchase this separately, and we soon learnt that this was the case in all of Morocco, not just in the hotel. We travelled mid February and the temp was 21 degrees in the day and around 10 degrees in the night, it was comfortable and a change from the cold British weather! The following morning we went for breakfast, which was served between 6am - 10am, this was also a buffet with some hot dishes and a chef cooking fresh flat breads, which were really nice served with honey. There was plenty of choice, cereal, juice, bread, jam, butter, tea, coffee, yoghurts, I could go on...., we were leaving for a trip to the Atlas mountains that day, so were in a bit of a rush, but the hotel tourist advisor was keen to speak to us, she was also very keen for us to cancel our plans and book through her, but we did not. We did however book two other trips with her recommendation, one was to Essouira and one was to a local attraction Chez Ali, I would not recommend Chez Ali, it is a tourist trap and a waste of money. The hotel had its own money exchange facility, and the rates were good, we used this to our advantage. The weather was not the best for the outdoor pool, but the children did manage to go for a quick dip one afternoon, and upon request more towels were provided, it was nice just to sit on the roof top besides the pool. All the staff were helpful and very warm towards the children, the restaurant staff always welcomed us and served with a smile. The hotel was a little out of town, but really not that out, bus stop was about 5 minutes away and easily found, cost 4 dirhams each, kids free, it went to the Medina past the new town, it was clean and the drivers were always helpful, used this service a few times. Upon checking out we were surprised by the bill for taxes, which we were unaware of, you are charged a local tax and a tourist tax, per person, per night, just something to be aware of! Overall, I don't know what people had expected, but we had a very pleasant stay, the hotel and rooms were kept clean and tidy, staff were helpful and polite, we were very satisfied with our stay, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I came back a week ago and I can assure you that we had a wonderful time.
The hotel was clean, the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
The food was good and the buffet was very nice. We would like to thank The chef, Abdelkarim Soussi who took out the time to teach my wife Morrocoon cooking in a Tajine. Front office, the lady by the name of Hind, who at every point went out of her way for us. The masseuse Lubna. And the rest of the staff who made our stay a pleasure. And finally Nadia, who gave us the best tips, excursions and was helpful in every possible way.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Atlas mountains give you a delightful view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Swiss International Imperial Plaza? Share your experiences!