“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Plaza

Save Saved
You added Swiss International Imperial Plaza to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abdelkrim Khattabi Avenue | Semlalia Street, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #393 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Croydon
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I travelled with my husband and my two young children and my sister and her family, we had a great time and experience. As I was travelling with children, I was at one point very worried after reading some of the reviews, but I can assure you that being a mum of two, this hotel was much more than expected. The hotel was about 15 minutes drive from the airport, which I had arranged prior to arrival and cost 10 euros for a big car to accommodate 7 of us (this was going to cost £100 as a hotel transfer whilst booking the holiday, we opted to book privately). We had booked two double rooms, half board. First impressions were good, we had a warm welcome with friendly staff, the children loved the fish in the reception area. After completing the necessary paper work, our bags were taking up to our rooms, which were very clean and of a high standard. Although our rooms were both double rooms, they did differ, they both had balconies and had a great view of the mountains, but ours had a fridge and the other did not, the wardrobe differed and maybe one or two other small things. Bathrooms were clean, shower over the bath, clean and sufficient towels, toiletries provided, what more can you ask for! Rooms were air conditioned and it was working fine. As we booked half board, we went down for dinner and it was a Moroccan buffet, the theme varied each day, there was more than plenty of varieties of food, from hot meals, to salads, to fruit and a large range of desserts. The only drawback was that there was nothing to drink included not even water, you had to purchase this separately, and we soon learnt that this was the case in all of Morocco, not just in the hotel. We travelled mid February and the temp was 21 degrees in the day and around 10 degrees in the night, it was comfortable and a change from the cold British weather! The following morning we went for breakfast, which was served between 6am - 10am, this was also a buffet with some hot dishes and a chef cooking fresh flat breads, which were really nice served with honey. There was plenty of choice, cereal, juice, bread, jam, butter, tea, coffee, yoghurts, I could go on...., we were leaving for a trip to the Atlas mountains that day, so were in a bit of a rush, but the hotel tourist advisor was keen to speak to us, she was also very keen for us to cancel our plans and book through her, but we did not. We did however book two other trips with her recommendation, one was to Essouira and one was to a local attraction Chez Ali, I would not recommend Chez Ali, it is a tourist trap and a waste of money. The hotel had its own money exchange facility, and the rates were good, we used this to our advantage. The weather was not the best for the outdoor pool, but the children did manage to go for a quick dip one afternoon, and upon request more towels were provided, it was nice just to sit on the roof top besides the pool. All the staff were helpful and very warm towards the children, the restaurant staff always welcomed us and served with a smile. The hotel was a little out of town, but really not that out, bus stop was about 5 minutes away and easily found, cost 4 dirhams each, kids free, it went to the Medina past the new town, it was clean and the drivers were always helpful, used this service a few times. Upon checking out we were surprised by the bill for taxes, which we were unaware of, you are charged a local tax and a tourist tax, per person, per night, just something to be aware of! Overall, I don't know what people had expected, but we had a very pleasant stay, the hotel and rooms were kept clean and tidy, staff were helpful and polite, we were very satisfied with our stay, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I came back a week ago and I can assure you that we had a wonderful time.
The hotel was clean, the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
The food was good and the buffet was very nice. We would like to thank The chef, Abdelkarim Soussi who took out the time to teach my wife Morrocoon cooking in a Tajine. Front office, the lady by the name of Hind, who at every point went out of her way for us. The masseuse Lubna. And the rest of the staff who made our stay a pleasure. And finally Nadia, who gave us the best tips, excursions and was helpful in every possible way.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Atlas mountains give you a delightful view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was worried with all the bad reviews, however when I got there I was surprised. All the Staff were more then happy to accommodate.
I was concerned as my son was less then a year old and my daughter was 4 years, so we thought it may not be upto standards, however we were more then happy with what was provided. Everything worked and the view was nice.
The journey to the city is a taxi drive away, however i looked forward to coming back to here after a long day out as it was very quite and away from the noise of the city. Also the staff made me and my family so welcome that we felt comfortable.
There are a few name of people who were really nice in the hotel, sadly i forget most and only remember Nordin, the manager. I would rate it more then 5 if I could purely because of the friendly staff because to me that's the most important.

Room Tip: Rooms facing out on the road are nice but can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Me and my husband have just got back from a week at this hotel and overall had a relaxing stay. The hotel does need some work doing to it in places, such as in the bathrooms, the shower head needed replacing as it got more water on the walls than on you, There was some dodgy wiring and loose plugs. The beds were really hard and we ended up laying on the blankets for more comfort.
The restaurant is very basic, but the food that they do is ok. I got ill whilst I was there, but the staff were so friendly and the head waiter made me some plain boiled rice without being asked, which was really thoughtful.
The hotel is pretty central for shops, everything is about a 10 minute walkaway. I would recommend going on the open top bus ride as it is only about £12 each and is valid for 24 hours. This is a great way of seeing the city and you can get off at the medina and shopping areas and get back on again when you've had enough. Be prepared for the snake charmers and guys trying to put monkeys on you for photos here though!!
Overall, it wouldn't be my first choice to come back to this hotel, but it's not a bad place. It's cheap and cheerful. Be prepared though that your holiday provider hasn't told you about the hotel taxes before hand. We were caught out with this. It was only about £20, but still, if you think everythings paid for, it may not be.
The staff are fantastic though and cannot do enough for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 7 nights from 29/01/13-05/02/13 and found our stay at this hotel was extremely comfortable and the staff were a pleasure to meet with. Nadia in particular was extremely helpful and helped us to book an excursion; she did not disappoint, we visited the ouzoud waterfalls and it was an amazing experience. The kitchen staff at this hotel from the waiters to the head chef were absolutely incredible. The chef soon came to realise we were vegetarian and made a special effort each day to ask us what we would like for dinner. He made some delicious dishes for us. The French waiter was charming and extremely courteous and helpful...we really appreciate everyone at this hotel. The pool on the 6th floor is great with a friendly barman and workers who clean the pool are also extremely friendly and welcoming. Would definitely recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay again. Thank you

Room Tip: Room 314 has a breathtaking view of the mountains. You get plenty of sun here too!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went to Marrakech for my birthday with my best mate and we loved the hotel! The staff were all friendly and the manager always made an effort to see that everything was in order and was genuinely interested in his clientele. The breakfasts were okay but me and my best mate didn't travel to Marrakech for the breakfasts. It was a lovely, clean and homely place to stay between seeing the beautiful sights of Marrakech and the little local, "jardin des arts" was a nice place to have a last drink before bed. The rooftop pool was perfect, had a beautiful view of every sunset. The only downside of the holiday was all the miserable British clientele that just sat around the pool moaning about everything and didn't venture out. I would definitely recommend this hotel :)

They also even gave me a lovely present of fruits and sweets for my birthday! Lovely people

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room. Particularly a corner room with a balcony ;)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The pictures on the hotel website look nothing like any of the rooms we saw when we were there in December through to New Year. Photographer must be a genius. If I ever want to sell my house I hope I find him for pics. I Pool area on roof nice although let down by railings needing paint and tables and chairs around bar area in bad repair( such basic maintenance but not done).
We were so disappointed in our room on arrival that we actually tried to contact our booking agent to try and change hotels - no luck as weekend! The rooms were basic, dusty and worn. Not at all as we had been led to believe. The hotel was no where near anything of interest or any nice bars and cafes - also not what we were informed and DEFINATLY not near the centre.
Hotel reception and lobby very old, shabby and neglected. Food ok. All buffet and nothing like pictures of buffet on website.
Staff were very laid back but to be fair very sweet but on the whole I would say a British 2 star not 4.
We booked in to this hotel as a Christmas gift to each other believing we would have a tiny bit of luxury. Wish I'd opted for earrings or new boots now!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Swiss International Imperial Plaza? Share your experiences!